[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WiiU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>Buy a WiiU to play Zelda and other Nintendo staples
>Zelda delayed repeatedly
>Smash bros is a huge disappointment
>3D world fun but basically a carbon copy of 3D land
>Star Fox zero has shit controls and 5 fucking hours of game play

And now Zelda is being delayed until 2017 and launched in conjunction with the NX. So now I'm faced with the choice of buying a NEW system to play the game, or buying the game for a dead system.

Why does Nintendo do this?
>>
>buying a console before the games you want are out

I bet you bought a PS3 for KH3, FF Versus XIII, and the Last Guardian
>>
>>335821191

Care to elaborate?
>>
As a PClord I can't help but feel pity for our mentally challenged console brothers, this generation is cucked to the max
>PS4 has one game
>Xbone has zero game
>WiiU is dead
>all the companies already in panic mode scrambling to release 1.5 gen to this gen
Why didn't you just build a PC
>>
>>335821680
He might be one of those people that personally doesn't care for the game, the bastard
>>
>>335821191
Is the best smash game so far, what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>335821730
t. PC Cuck playing shitty indies and mobas with bad console ports.
>>
>Wii U had no exclusive Zelda game
>Wii U had no Metroid game
>Wii U had no main series Mario game
>Wii U had no F-Zero game
>Wii U had a terrible Star Fox game
>Wii U had a terrible Animal Crossing game
>Wii U had a terrible Kirby game
>Wii U had a mediocre Pikmin game
>Wii U had a mediocre Yoshi game
>Wii U had a good Mario Kart game
>Wii U had a good Donkey Kong game
This is how the Wii U will be remembered
>>
>>335821680
Not him
But I found the game to be stale after a few hours since i have no friends to play it with in real life
The multiplayer online matches would be too laggy unless it's a one on one match, which was the only mode I ended up playing after the three hours It took to unlock all characters. Eventually sold the game with a special ebay deal, so I basically got $100 back

Dont regret it
>>
>>335822217
It's definitely not a single player game, even with online multi it's pretty lousy

I'd have loved if it had a single player or co-op brawler mode where you go into various themed levels and beat up baddies from their respective games, that would have been awesome. But smash basically has no single player content, which is its biggest problem
>>
File: 1456885517903.jpg (520 KB, 1545x1600) Image search: [Google]
1456885517903.jpg
520 KB, 1545x1600
>>335821680
>>335821881
>>335821989

I hate how defensive the game is. The characters are so floaty, they removed ledge-guarding, there are infinite air dodges, and shielding and rolling are hard to punish.

You could argue that I don't like it simply because it's different - but in my opinion these changes have fundamentally altered the way smash bros is played. For example edge-guarding really isn't a big part of the game any more. Pros play with 2 stocks for an 8 minute match. That should tell you something.
>>
I hope that in another 30 years we can look back on the WiiU as a mistake and hopefully Nintendo will still be around but with gamecube tier quality and moderate success.
>>
>>335822742
It's more likely people would discover its gem of a library years later.
>>
>>335821191
If I were to ask those of you who own a Wii U if buying the console was worth it, would you say yes because you genuinely love the Wii U? Or would you say yes because you wish to claim another soul so that it may join you in eternal suffering

Kinda feeling bored with my PC and Xbone
>>
>>335822837
>its gem of a library
The Wii U's library has a few gems in it. It is not itself a *gem*. Most of the games are crap, just like any library.
>>
>>335822886
Eh i like the games, they aren't definitely the best shit ever but they are somewhat enjoyable

Having said that, Wii U is the most underwhelming Nintendo console i've owned.
>>
>>335822557
I realized star fox encountered the same problem

> smash melee, the loved one gets a sequel
> brawl: has single player, gets a little mixed feedback, but many loved it
> back to smash 4: removed the quality singleplayer that made brawl great to be similar to melee again, which was good back in it's day

Star fox 64, short but sweet game, then star fox assault, a unique story adventure, then back to zero, it tried to be short and sweet but it just doesnt cut it in 2016
>>
>>335822886

I had no interest in buying the Wii U. My dad randomly got one. Now I absolutely love it. It's a great console, the gamepad is comfy, and some it's had enough great games for me.

Whether it's worth the money is really up to you, though - look at the games that are out for it and see if you want to play them.
>>
>>335821191
>Wii U has no third party games like Star Wars or Battlefield
>Wii U executive admit that they downscale their games like Mario to appeal to everyone and making it easy for 3 year old children
> Wii U has no online outside of it's popular game
> Wii U pumps out game like a nozzle once every six months
> Wii U is underpowered compared to the PS4 and XBox 1

Seriously, there's no reason to buy the Wii U over the PS4 or XBOX. Those console are just better. Nintendo constantly over rates Mario but he can't alone carry a console which is why most people would bought the PS4 over the Wii U.
>>
>>335822215
>SF0
>terrible
It's short and forced motion controls yielded mixed reactions, but it's not terrible, more mediocre (still better than 90% of starfox games)

>Woolly World
>mediocre
It's a really strong platformer, obviously not to be regarded as highly as Yoshi's Story, but it's still a great game

>mediocre Pikmin game
It's a solid sequel, taking it back to the more arcade-y format. Fans can't seem to agree which in the series is best.
>>
>>335822215
>a terrible Kirby game
Does not exist
>>
>>335822215
Also by having the most defensive fanbase like seriously if you're going to defend something do it with something that's worth it like the GC
>>
At this point Nintendo needs to go back to it's roots. I'm hoping by changing their color scheme back to Red for marketing that they are trying to do that with the NX.

If it wasn't for Monster Hunter I'd probably be full Xbot at this point.
>>
>>335823186
it was casual touch garbage
>>
>>335823157

Third parties I play on PC, I don't care about online, I don't have time to play a billion games anyway, and I don't care about graphics.

Meanwhile PS3 and XBox have no games I want to play (except Bloodborne and now Ratchet and Clank).

I gotta give you Nintendo's stupid obsession with casualising everything though.
>>
>>335822579
>he thinks melee is how the rest of the smash series is played
>he thinks melee's unintended mechanics and resulting meta are what defines the series
>>
>>335822837
W101 and uh..
>>
>>335823350
>Kirby is casual
Stop the fucking presses
The game was fine, assweed
>>
>>335823250
Nintendo fans are just wounded animals at this point who will attack even the most benign forms of criticism. I think there's some heavy buyer's remorse/post-purchase rationalization going on. I bought a Wii U and I've long since gotten over how bad of a decision it was. It had a few great games, sure, but I'm not going to pretend like every game on the system is GOTY just to make my ego a bit less damaged. What am I, a child?
>>
>>335823481
Even by Kirby standards, it was casual garbage, which is hard for most people to fathom
>>
>Why does Nintendo do this?
Gee, I don't know. Why don't you look at their sales figures to get a better clue
>>
>>335822940
Disgateet, most of the games are good since it has basically nothing in terms of shovelware beyond the extremes like MP10 and AC amiibo shitter. Plus, I'd wager many series installments on Wii I are among the best of the franchise (MK8, NSMBU/Luigi U, DKRTF, SM3DW). Once emulation is stable and viable to most on /v/ people will appreciate the livrary for what it actually is.
>>
>>335822579

This. They could've made the greatest fighting game of all time, one that would rule tournaments for years, but instead made another fucking (slower) brawl.

It's not fun to play, it's not even fun to watch.
>>
>>335823472
DK:TF and Mario Kart 8 are the only 3 exclusives that are really good. Everything else is completely subjective. If you hate W101, DK:TF, and/or MK8 then you just straight up have horrible taste in video games.

Splatoon, Wooly World, Smash Bros, 3DWorld, and others are ok too, but they have glaring issues or just simply are not the strongest in their series.
>>
>>335823727
melee fags. Not everyone does crack or has ADHD. Sm4sh is definitely a little slower than i'd like but fuck melee speeds.
>>
>>335821191
SM3DW was much better than 3Dland
then you have good games with NSMBU/NSLU, Yoshi and pikmin
Sadly Kirby was pretty mediocre and I didn't think much of Donkey Kong
>>
>>335823716
You only think most of the games are good because you're thinking of only the good games

In my opinion, which is admittedly just that, the only games worth buying the system for were MK8, Bayo2, DKCTF, 3DW and SMM. The rest were shades between good and average, but certainly not anything I'd call a gem. More like "I already have a Wii U so this isn't bad"
>>
Mario Maker is fantastic
>>
>>335823472
W101
Bayo2
Splatoon
MM
Luigi U
XCX
Woolly World
Hyrule Warriors
MK8
Sm4sh (though I'm aware opinion is split on smash)
DKTF
The 2 well-done Zelda remasters
Even Nintendoland is well-made for the type of game it is, albeit pointless to play alone.
>>
>>335823912

NSMBU was actually good, one of the few times the final game in a series actually is just better.
>>
File: 1452552511418.jpg (130 KB, 355x440) Image search: [Google]
1452552511418.jpg
130 KB, 355x440
>>335823792
>W101 is perfect
>Splatoon and 3D world have some glaring issues though
>>
>>335823990
I only got a Wii U having tried the games I listed and loved them, so it's not like that at all anon.
>>
>>335824047
>Hidden Gem
>Hidden Gem
>Mainstream
>DLC Expansion pack to Mainstream
>Hidden Gem
>Shit
>Shit
>Mainstream
>Mainstream
>Mainstream
>HD ports, well done or not
>I guess this is a hidden gem.
>>335823792
I want to love TF, I really do. I'm just too much of a salty Metroidfag to enjoy it though.
>>
>>335824047
Putting Hyrule Warriors and MK8 next to each other really emphasizes how shit your list is

MK8 was a fantastic game but HW was mediocre, plain and simple, a Zelda skin of a tired subgenre of action RPG. It wasn't bad, per se, but if we're going to make a list of the system's *good* games, you shouldn't pretend like these titles are all on equal ground, because it actually dilutes your argument.
>>
>>335823842

kek

git gud
>>
>>335824316
>Mainstream
It's a fucking Wii U, nothing on it is mainstream as about 5 people own the system.

>>335824320
I can agree MK8 is several steps above HW, but I still think HW is a decent game (though it has a pretty niche appeal I suppose)
>>
>>335824085
Yeah NSMBU is overlooked way to often along with Nintendoland but it's understandable since you just had NSMB2 and along with NSMBW they were ridiculously mediocre so no one had any hope for a WiiU installment.
Luckily it turned out to have some decent challenge and extras along with a fun to fuck around with co-op
>>
File: 1393760781009.png (42 KB, 291x293) Image search: [Google]
1393760781009.png
42 KB, 291x293
>>335821191
>Buying a console for games that haven't came out yet

You deserve to get scammed every fucking day of the year.
>>
>>335821191
>Zelda delayed repeatedly
Yeah it probably won't be coming to the Wii U I feel.

How so? Mechanically and design-wise it's superior to Brawl. In fact it's the sensible progression from Melee. It's what Brawl should have felt like.

>3D world fun but basically a carbon copy of 3D land
I haven't even played much of world but I can tell you that that's pretty much a bullshit statement.
>Star Fox zero has shit controls and 5 fucking hours of game play
Controls are not good. I will agree with that. I'll also agree with the 5 hours of gameplay, but in that regard it's no different from the original and Star Fox 64. Both of those were very short and really only had minimal hidden things to find. People still loved those. This one though adds even more to find and adds new ways to increase replayability but everyone bitches about it.
>>
>>335821680
>>335822579

>I hate how defensive the game is
A legitimate complaint with the overall play style and something I don't really like myself.

>The characters are so floaty
I'd say they're not as heavy as melee/PM but heavier than brawl and 64. Other game mechanics are what make this problematic

>They removed ledge guarding
Ledge guarding removed in favor of a more active approach to get the kill. This is one of the things I really do like about smash 4.

The problem is that people can buffer options when they grab the ledge, the ledge grab range is ridiculous on a lot of moves, and recoveries are super strong making this mechanic a lot harder to work with.
If you couldn't buffer an option on grabbing the ledge I'd say this was better than ledge guarding because you'd actually have to ledge trump into something that can actually kill to finish the stock as opposed to just grabbing the ledge.

>Infinite air dodges
I'd have no problem with infinite air dodges if not for the fact that
>Shielding and rolling are hard to punish
Which is completely true and makes defensive play extremely strong.

Sorry you couldn't have fun with it
>>
>>335824316
>mario maker
>DLC expansion pack
What?

The ports were listed since they actually improve on the gameplay, both int terms of control and adjusting segments (e.g. faster sailing and less tedious triforce shards in Wind Waker)
>>
>>335823405
L-cancel was a very good mechanic
>>
>>335821557
>wrong to buy consoles for games I want
what?
>>
>>335824971
He's right though, anyone that buys a platform for games that do not exist are pretty foolish, and I'd have no sympathy for them.
>>
>>335822886
I'd say yes but I'd caution others against it. I don't play many video games any more but I'm a sucker for Zelda and DKC so the HD remasters and tropical dong made it worth it for me (along with Mario Kart 8).

Again I would not really defend the console, just for my preferences I enjoy it.
>>
>>335822886
I basically agree with this anon >>335825205
I've enjoyed every game I've got for the system, except maybe XCX which was a mild disappointment for some areas (though it had quite the predecessor to live up to). Whenever I recommend the system I do so with a caution, and would encourage you to look at the games for it first.
>>
>>335823526
No, but just beacuse you didn't like the system doesn't mean any supporter is going through buyer's remorse. I'm having fun playing its games and I'm sure there are many others out there who feel the same.

Also, when there are reviewers who refused to finish the game because "controls are too hard", you can't really blame the fans for reacting to it.
>>
>>335822886
I have no regrets on buying a wii u.

I don't have many games. The few I do have I had a blast with.
>Bayonetta 1 & 2
>Hyrule Warriors
>Mario Kart 8
>Super Mario 3d land
>Super Mario Maker
>Super Smash Brothers
>Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD

Smash alone made it worth getting for me.

>>335823119
>Removed the quality singleplayer

SSE was fine sure, but smash 4's singleplayer isn't even as good as melee's. Adventure mode and unique target tests was way better than master/crazy orders and target blast.

Not to mention classic mode being filled with a fuck ton of jank in general.
>Input reading AI
>8 player smash where all the AI favors attacking the player
>Custom equipment AI
>Launch ratio multipliers for enemies on harder difficulties
>Master Fortress
>>
>>335823727
>slower than brawl
what the hell are you talking about? have you played or watched brawl since 4 came out?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.