[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should Nintendo go third party?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 630x481) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 630x481
Should Nintendo go third party?
>>
>>335816621
If they fuck up this new generation too, then yes.
>>
If they are still making money, they should keep making consoles. If they aren't making money, they should probably take a look at why that is and reevaluate what they're doing.
>>
>>335816893
>wii u fails
>dismisses the success of the ds, 3ds and wii
The nx can fail exactly like the wii u and nintendo will still have cash in their pocket
>>
File: 97294476150.png (91 KB, 399x298) Image search: [Google]
97294476150.png
91 KB, 399x298
>>335816893
Agreed.
If NX sucks they have to go 3rd party lest they become a mobile shit producing company.

>post yfw the next Metroid and F-Zero are mobile games
>>
>>335817087
It's not just about the cash, retard, but there being a point remaining in console manufacturing. If NX becomes another Wii U then shareholders will not put up with it.
>>
>>335817087
That's not how public companies operate, you fucking retard. If Nintendo doesn't turn things around with NX, shareholders will lose all patience with them and force a complete change in leadership who will do exactly as they demand.
>>
File: 1461593460207.png (171 KB, 335x358) Image search: [Google]
1461593460207.png
171 KB, 335x358
That's obviously their basically best business potential. The Wii U shows that it's not the trend and their brand that makes them money, it's just the appeal of the product. Maybe that's less accurate, setting up tablets as a reference for what will sell "just because it's Nintendo", because tablets are supposed to be a mobile trend (gaming and apps for travel and lines). Even still, they're an established company through lots of 3/DS and Wii sales, and the Wii U should sell more if sales were based on company popularity.

The console is dwarfed by the PS4 and XOne though, and the primary purpose of a console is networking, which Nintendo is ludicrously awful with, per their party/friend systems, etc.. Their games aren't often multiplayer, which is another trend (especially in line with F2P games).

Thereof, a 3rd console has no appeal in such a market. They have no place selling a console to consumers that are probably poor, especially not with Sony and MS calling out replacement consoles already.

It's really simple, and all they'd have to do to sell to a gaming demographic of over 900M is launch games digitally, from their store, on PC.
>>
No because Nintendo games would never sell on PS4 and Xbone they are to kiddy for their "mature" audience.
>>
>>335816621
A shit ton of people complain about their games, then they say they should go third party to make their games just on a different console.
So essentially everyone wants their games but it's not on their sony or ps4 or pc. So no, they shouldn't. Just don't be a poorfag and buy the consoles
>>
>>335817087
>they still have handheld
You realize that the ds did well in an age before mobile phone games. The 3ds did less well being released in an age when mobile was picking up and is now struggling to move units because of it. Their next handheld is doa.
>>
They would honestly make so much money. Imagine, they could release so many fucking classics. Would love to play Yoshi's Island again on Xbox/PS
>>
>>335816621
Could you imagine Xenoblade Chronicles not being hold back by Pii U hardware?
>>
File: 1375742450140.png (259 KB, 289x413) Image search: [Google]
1375742450140.png
259 KB, 289x413
yes, or at least make a PC marketplace like EA and Valve in addition to selling games on other consoles

Nintendo is a useless, soulless company right now that spends more time making marketing deals and manufacturing mcdonalds toys than they do actually making any games

its time for this shit to end and go back to working exclusively on good games with modern technology
>>
If they don't want to make money then sure, it be smarter to go into the movie industry
>>
>>335820432
If they had to make it look better then it definitely wouldn't have had the same quality/content.

Games are made within budgets, putting it on stronger hardware can't make the graphical fidelity any better without sacrificing other aspects.
>>
>Nintendo Sony Partnership
As someone who owned a 360 and Xbox One, what would Microsoft even do if this happened? It would be fucking eternal Nip domination
>>
>>335820697
>Games are made within budgets, putting it on stronger hardware can't make the graphical fidelity any better without sacrificing other aspects.
but thats wrong. most of the time they have to do more work just to make it run on lesser hardware and optimize it to run on lesser hardware. better hardware gives you more room to experiment and to keep your assets in their earlier forms.
>>
>>335820697
>increasing the resolution must require development budget
No.
>>
It's funny how nobody remembers how well that turned out for Sega.

All those IPs that weren't Sanic? Gone, or turned into shit (case in point: Crazy Taxi turning into a Temple Run clone)
Sonic itself? Became a schizophrenic mess that produced two infamously terrible games.
And practically all of the staff that made their earlier games a success have left years ago.

You'd accomplish little more but trade a quick death for a slower one while ensuring the franchises it makes become twisted mockeries of themselves capable of making tleven the worst of the current rehashes look stellar..
>>
>>335821067
Microsoft is trying to steal the pc market. Hell, not long ago, Mr Spencer annouced a mouse & keyboard add on for the xbox one in the near future
>>
>>335821496
segas IPs were never as popular as all the different nintendo IPs, what people even know of anything other than Sonic? everyone knows pokemon, mario, zelda, etc.
>>
>>335821496
>early 3D games quickly lost their appeal
>especially rehashed shit
OK.
>>
>>335821345
Yeah it'd be free if the upscale it, but then it would look even more like ass. If you actually wanted to make the game look better, then we're talking higher-res textures and more polygons, both of which are very expensive. Especially in a game of such large scope. The only real advantage they could have with more powerful hardware without affecting development very much would maybe be the draw distance.

>>335821337
>keep assets in their early form
You're assuming that Monolith develops their games with more powerful hardware in mind and then downgrades them. That's not common practice in a lot of studios. They knew they were making a Wii U exclusive for over five years, they most likely developed the game with the Wii U's hardware in mind.
>>
>>335821695
>what people even know of anything other than Sonic?

People who played games back when Sega was relevant knew their series. It's exactly because Sega fucked up by selling out that people are familiar with those IPs anymore.
>>
>>335816621
It kind of depends on how the NX is received. If it turns out to be a good piece of hardware with strong third party support, then they should just keep on keeping on. If it's another Wii U, then it's time to either fire everybody and start from scratch with people who have real ideas, or just throw in the towel entirely on hardware and just make damn good games for other platforms.

Also Miyamoto cannot be directly involved with software development if they go third-party. He is so out of touch at this point that keeping him in any kind of managerial position will simply alienate an entirely new audience and completely sink the company. I have tremendous respect for what he did for games and how he helped shape the early industry, but it is beyond clear that his time has passed.
>>
They are already on the way to being third party.
>>
>>335821916
no one average joe ever knew any sega character except sonic, period.
>>
>>335820697
It could have been the same game as it is on Pii U but at 60FPS or at least 1080p
>>
>>335817361
Therefore, they have to kick out the shareholders and other useless leeches.
>>
>>335816621

With the rumors that sony won't be making any further playstations and with microsoft honestly being tired of sinking money into the gaming division to constantly finish 2nd, Nintendo may be the only company making consoles in the future and you're thinking they'll go third party? Who will be the first party if the other two bow out?
>>
>>335822020
>waaaah I don't like Miyamoto

Splatoon is doing as well as it is because of his original input. You're just upset he isn't pandering to you.
>>
>>335822065
The very fact that you say that means you weren't around when Sega was relevant.

The same thing is already starting to happen with some Sony series. A lot of people who play modern games have no clue what Twisted Metal, Ape Escape, and Crash are. These series are falling into irrelevancy.
>>
>>335821695
You really think those won't be the ones milked worst of all? If you thought one New Super Mario Bros. per generation was too much, you're going to want to puke when that number jumps to 3 or 4 per gen.

You can say goodbye to just about every other franchise they make and anything resembling a new idea, too. Even more so than now, that is. They'll just follow the trend they're currently on, with the only difference being the number of gimmicks they end up throwing in.

Hell, I can almost imagine them throwing up a Kickstarter for a new F-Zero game which never seems to get done, just like Shenmue 3.
>>
>>335821795
>greater resolutions require "upscaling"
Playing games at 4k always looks better than playing games at 720p. It's about pixel density and rendering.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/3wfchr/argument_about_4k_gaming/cxvrz2d
>>
>>335816621
You wish.

>>335816893
This.
>>
>>335816621
Is it the same person making this redundant thread?
>>
>>335822020
The "Am I out of touch?" picture really applies to Miyamoto
>>
>>335822303
And Spyro turned onto Skylanders ages ago, with results we know all too well. As cancerous as Amiibos are, they aren't completely necessary to play games.

Yet.
>>
>>335822354
>he fell for the good graphics meme
>>
>>335822020
>good piece of hardware with strong third party support
The complete lack of leaks and the 2017 release date [when Wii U's release schedule supposedly dried up because of projects being moved to NX] seem to indicate that their aren't many studios and publishers supporting the system at all.

I'm sure that would change if the system started selling well, but it should be sinking in that Nintendo is going it alone, again.
>>
>>335822303
i had a sega genesis, i played it every day. kill yourself retard.
>>
>>335822082
And? Wouldn't make it any better.

30 fps vs 60 fps really only matters with fast paced action games and bunnyhop shooters. You can tell the difference in a side-by-side comparison but if you're still thinking about framerate five minutes after you start playing a game, then you're playing a shit game.
>>
>>335822463
>physical DLC
>>
>>335822386
Him? Try "everyone with even the slightest influence in the industry today". At least he still vaguely remembers why people play games on the first place, everyone else is just greedy. Whether that makes his case better or worse is a matter of opinion, obviously.
>>
>>335822082
Most PS4 games don't even have 60 fps jackass.
>>
>>335822191
>rumors that sony won't be making any further playstations
No, I think Sony just wants to sell you a new Playstation more often.
>>
>>335822489
Most studios that aren't indies haven't made anything of worth in years
AAA gaming is trash and Nintendo doesn't need them
>>
>>335822494
Yeah and I'm a millionaire who rides dinosaurs to work.

It's true because I said it online.
>>
>>335822628
That's the problem, Miyamoto knows what is the actual objective (fun games) but fails to understand the market.
Meanwhile the others do understand the market and pull all kinds of jew shit to squeeze as much out of that market, even if it in the end it isn't fun for anyone and ruins the long term.
>>
>>335822703
It really doesn't matter if you or I believe that -- and in some ways I do believe that. It's just when you don't have any of that stuff on your system, it's incredibly hard to build an install base, okay?

I think indies are fine, there's a lot of great stuff that's been coming out. A lot of that great indie stuff isn't on Nintendo consoles, either. Nintendo's current library got them where the Wii U is right now. There's no real way to explain that away.
>>
>>335822716
still waiting for you to give me a sega character that the general public knew about besides sonic, as they know about pokemon or mario
>>
>>335822618
Think of it this way: it's not yet a mandatory requirement just to play the game. But at the rate the market is going and how fast the IQ of the consumers is dropping, it sure will be.

>>335822703
The indies aren't exactly miracle workers either, and unlike them the AAA shit has a ready-made audience of lemmings willing to follow them no matter how bad the resulting game ends up being.
>>
>>335816621

No, they're the only one whoever succeeds at weird gimmick shit, and I love it. Gimme that niche shit
>>
>>335822995
Not even that guy and didn't even play Genesis, but even I've heard of some of their other stuff.

NiGHTS
Crazy Taxi (last seen as a Temple Run clone)
Panzer Dragoon
Shenmue
Ecco the Dolphin
Samba de Amigo
Super Monkey Ball

And I'm sure that's just a tiny fraction of what they had back in the day.
>>
>>335817361

Doesn't Nintendo own the majority of their own stock or something like that?
>>
>>335823019
Not mandatory, but there are multiple cases of Amiibos affecting gameplay, not just with UFO in the latest Kirby.

> AAA shit has a ready-made audience of lemmings willing to follow them no matter how bad the resulting game ends up being
It's almost like we really need a new gaming crash
>>
>>335822489
>seem to indicate that their aren't many studios and publishers supporting the system at all.
That's a baseless assumption. Most studios have no reason to leak shit, especially smaller studios that could be penalized for it.

Also, keep in mind that every major publisher saw the Wii U up at least a year before release and leaked absolutely nothing about it.
>>
>>335816621
Who cares, nintendo is ded
>>
>>335823237
so in other words, the general public didnt know any sega characters as much as they know about mario and pokemon? thanks for confirming that.
>>
File: Wii U CPU.jpg (178 KB, 923x456) Image search: [Google]
Wii U CPU.jpg
178 KB, 923x456
>>335823359
There were Wii U leaks, people just didn't want to believe them.
>>
>>335823337
We've needed a crash for years, but with the way the market is now, the only way that'll happen is if a second Great Depression hits.

And in that case we probably won't even be able to shitpost about it any more.
>>
>>335822995

Tails
>>
>>335823427
They were well known back in the day when Genesis was still a force to be reckoned with. All you're proving is how far they've fallen since then.
>>
>>335823783
no they werent. go ask your mom if she knows what shenmue is, then ask her if she knows what pokemon is. lol kill yourself retard.

nintendo going third party can succeed because they actually have a lot of brand recognition compared to what sega had. sega only had a console and sonic, period.
>>
>>335824101
>all this millennial

Someone clearly never paid attention to vidya in the 90s.
>>
>>335823671

First one is a leak, but about on par about what AMD has already hinted about the NX.

Second one is just spreading information that was likely released to the press behind doors.
>>
>>335816621
why would you want them to? the best game they released this gen, mario maker, relies on player made content to be good and not nintendo.

going third party won't suddenly remind them how to make a good game.
>>
>>335824101
Then I'm sure you know how many people might recognize something like (for example) Custom Robo, or F-Zero. Or Drill Dozer, or any of Nintendo's miscellaneous minor experiments.

Also, Pokémon is Game Freak, not Nintendo. If Nintendo was in straits that dire, they'd cut all ties with them and become a third party themselves.
>>
>>335824223
epic meme. go ask your mom what shenmue is.
>>
>>335824452
>game relying on user generated content
>best Nintendo game this gen

Damn, is the Wii U really that bad?
>>
>>335824661
shenmu? is that the yakuza rip off...
>>
No.
Sony and MS should quit.
Bring back Sega or bring in Samsung or whatever.
>>
Wht can't they go third party already? All I have is FIFA and CoD to play it would be a grate business decision we wud get a new Mach Rider game FZero Advanced Wars Takamuras Castle 4 the Frog the Bell tolls, all that grate stuff! Its not fare
>>
>>335816621
yes.
>>
>>335824741

Super Mario Maker is pretty nice. The concept doesn't sound so great at first but I actually find myself reallt enjoyingit. Love /v/'s levels. Also love playing my own on occasion.
>>
>>335824572
IIRC the Pokemon copyright is split between Game Freak, Nintendo and Creatures Inc and Creatures Inc is wholly owned by Nintendo, or some other legal fuckery of the sorts.
>>
>>335816621
No but they could use some collaboration with other devs

I mean Sega made FZero GX and that was great
>>
>>335825195

They said they would be doing more of that, yet all we're seeing is a game made by Shiggywith Platinum's name slapped on it.
>>
>>335817923
Ratchet and LBP sells fine
>>
>>335824572
>Also, Pokémon is Game Freak, not Nintendo. If Nintendo was in straits that dire, they'd cut all ties with them and become a third party themselves.
GameFreak doesn't have that kind of manpower or finances. They would have to partner with someone.
>>
>>335824949
Get a job.
>>
>>335825486
Not the gangbusters Mario or Zelda do though

Nintendo would completely devour LBP and Ratchet's marketshare if they went third party
>>
>>335823268
shareholders can still tank their company if theyre pissed off
>>
>>335824270
>what AMD has already hinted about the NX
AMD hasn't hinted anything about NX. All AMD has said is they have 3 SoC design wins for gaming in the pipeline.
>>
>>335824661
Like anyone over the age of 40 even notices that stuff unless they're in the industry.
>>
>>335816621
If the NX fails which it more likely will. Expect Nintendo to go full Mobile
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.