[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is thus any good? Never gotten into a "roguelike" before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: header.jpg (68 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
68 KB, 460x215
Is thus any good? Never gotten into a "roguelike" before and I'm not even really sure what the term means.
>>
It's not really a roguelike. That's a term that gets thrown around a lot with games like this, but all they mean in this case is that the levels are newly generated every time you play it and death is permanent.

It's pretty fun and you should be able to see if you'd like it from a watching a bit of gameplay, what you see is what you get. You explore the dungeon while aiming at enemies and dodging bullets with a tough boss at the end of every floor. There's not much to the exploration in this one, it's all about the combat.
>>
There was a game called Rogue released in 1980, where if you died, you had to start all over again. These days, every game with permadeath is called a rogue-like.
>>
No
It's bullethell with sponge enemies
>>
>>335816701

Permadeath and random floor generation. I'd argue the latter is actually more important, but Gungeon still isn't a proper roguelike. The thing most 'rogue-lite's' are missing is the fact that Rogue and its derivatives are turn-based dungeon crawlers.

Personally, I think the BoI, EtG, FTL, NT and their ilk deserve to have their own term independent of Rogue at this point.

>>335816770

What kind of bullethell are you playing where the bosses aren't healthsponges?
>>
>>335817096
i would also add ascii/tile graphics
>>
There are better roguelikes, far better than this. Get The Binding of Isaac Rebirth or Vagante.

This game isn't bad, but is too tedious.
>>
File: screenshot015.png (197 KB, 1600x816) Image search: [Google]
screenshot015.png
197 KB, 1600x816
>Roguelike is a subgenre of role-playing video games characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated game levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player-character.

First google of "roguelike definition"
retard
>>
>>335816673
>>335816701
Ok so death is permanent? Do you just have to start from the beginning or do you also lose any weapons you've picked up?
>>
>>335817571
You lose everything, but there are some permanent milestones like unlocking new shops and items that can appear during a run.
>>
>>335817295

I really don't think that's necessary so long as it plays on a grid. Not that anyone with access to anything nicer is making roguelikes these days.
>>
>>335816304
It's missing that something that makes you come back, but I enjoyed my time with it.
>>
>>335816304
Anon, if you want to get into the genre, search for Spelunky. There is a free, complete version that will give you an idea of how these games are.

If you like the game you can buy the Steam version with better graphics and additional levels. Vagante is a good game too.

You will die a lot, and everytime you will have to start from the beginning. But each time you will be more wise.
>>
>>335818463

Spelunky is fun, but it's pretty dissimilar to any games in this sub-genre in terms of gameplay... which I guess is kind of the problem with calling it a sub-genre in the first place. Most of them are only related through their secondary mechanics.

The appeal to rogue-lites in general is very basic. The seeded generation tied with the fixed progression (e.g. going from caves to jungle to ice to ruins) allows for a large amount of replayability without actually requiring a huge amount of resources in terms of design and assets. For this reason, it's a perfect fit for indie devs that are looking to make games that can deliver high value-for-money, which is IMO, exactly the metric indie devs should be aiming for.
>>
>>335819656
It's like saying Final Fantasy XII isn't a RPG because it isn't turn based.

Roguelikes doesn't need to be turn based either.

Isn't Necrodancer a roguelike? How about Pokemon Mistery Dungeon?
>>
Everything being a spongebob killed it for me. Its just fucking annoying to replay the floors where you have to shoot every little monster 25 million times that scale up with each floor while lazily avoiding slowest bullets ever. Limited ammo also contributed to no-fun-allowed mentality, even if you find a great guy you still must shoot your retarded default fart gun, otherwise you run out of ammo by floor 4-5. The guns themselves are extremely unbalanced, ranging from complete joke to something that clears the floors effortlessly.
Killed the past as convict, can't be arsed to play it ever again
>>
>>335816304

a roguelike is a turn based rpg where you find random items with permadeath that use a particular grid system for moving your unit

a lot of other game (like this one) use the roguelike element of random item generation and permadeath and so take the moniker of roguelike even if they really aren't one

as for the game, it's a top down shooter, if you played binding of isaac it's the closest comparison, i liked the game a lot but most people seems to whine that the enemies take too many hits to kill
>>
>>335820348
>if you find a great guy
great gun*
I'm not gay I swear
>>
I pirated and played it for a little bit and found the first gun, and a few others I got, very unsatisfying.
>>
>>335820003

Necrodancer is a weird corner-case because it technically fits most if not all of the criteria (though afaik, permanent progression isn't actually a trait of proper roguelikes) but doesn't fit the spirit of the subgenre at all because even though it's technically turn-based, it's rhythm based live-action in practice. I don't know about Mystery Dungeon as I haven't played those games.

And no, it's not the same as saying something isn't an RPG if it's not turn-based because RPGs don't have to be turn-based whereas Roguelikes do. Semantics can be annoying, but they are important.
>>
>The most important perspective for me when considering if a game is a roguelike are its game design features.
>for a game to be considered a Classic Roguelike by this interpretation, it should comply with ALL of the following features:

>Turn based: The player interacts in turns; for every turn the player gets to decide what action to take. After he decides the game simulates the turns for the rest of the entities in the game world and them prompts the player back for action. The player can pass its turn but it’s done manually as an explicit action.
>Grid based: (Which could be implied from being “Turn based”) There is an underlying orthogonal or hexagonal grid where the entities of the world are placed. Movement occurs from one cell to another close cell.
>Permanent Failure: Encouraging the player to take responsibility for the risks he takes. Games can be persisted to support interrupted play sessions but players cannot reload a game for the sake of experimenting or to “retry” a fight or seek a better outcome on a random event.
>Procedural environments: Most of the game world is generated by the game for every new gameplay session. This is meant to encourage replayability and complements permanent failure.
>Random conflict outcomes: The main conflict action between entities in the game (commonly, attacking an enemy or casting a spell) has a random outcome. For example, for most of times you can’t know for certain in advance how many hitpoints your attack will reduce from the enemy (Although the player has a reference range and variability that should allow him to make tactical choices).
>Inventory: There are items the player can pick up and use and inventory space is limited, the player should decide strategically what items are best to keep to survive and win the game.
>Single Character: The player is represented by a single character inside the game world.
>>
>>335821192
>triangular grid not allowed

TRIGGERED
>>
>My genre shouldn't evolve or change by the new technologies! A sightly change and it's not a roguelike!
>>
>>335822203
>What do you mean I don't get to call Starcraft a chess-like?

Do whatever you want mate, it's just that most people will think you are a retard because time keeping is one of the most important and defining characteristics of a game.

A roguelike is not slow, or fast. It is as slow or fast as the player is. An experienced player would be able to play it at a much faster pace than a real time game, which is much needed for a genre that relies on reiteration.
>>
Pros:
>Polish and attention to detail
>feels fairly responsive
>Fairly replayable (plenty of unlocks)

Cons:
>Weapons are very samey and mainly feel very weak.
>Many passive and active items may as well not exist for what difference they make
>Very poor pacing, gets very tedious very quickly
>Music is disappointing outside of 2 or so standout tracks

Pirate it/10. Missed potential
>>
>>335822203

>Skyrim is my favorite text-based adventure
>What do you mean it's not a text-based adventure? The genre has just evolved!
>>
>>335823029

Gotta agree with this assessment. I can tell they really wanted getting all the way through the gungeon to be a feat, but they did this by making the progression slow as shit, the non-boss gameplay plodding, and most of the weapons/upgrades garbage instead of making the gunplay generally more challenging.
>>
>>335823029
Echoing this. The game looks very nice but it becomes a chore to actually play. I wound up very dissatisfied with how weak and rare new guns were, and the lack of exploration or ways to interact with the environment.
>>
>Do a run where I get two keys from not taking damage from the boss
>Think this means I can just go to that specific stage instantly when I die
>It doesn't
>They keys do nothing
>>
File: The_Scrambler.jpg (2 KB, 100x67) Image search: [Google]
The_Scrambler.jpg
2 KB, 100x67
I would like to win the game: the gun
>>
I tried getting into this. The game is generally very polished but it just doesn't feel as fun or rewarding as other games of its ilk (isaac, risk of rain, rogue legacy). the first stage takes too long to get through which takes away from the sense of progression.
>>
>>335817531
who are you quoting?

he said "roguelike"

not roguelike
>>
>>335816304
Is this one of those games where the levels aren't actually randomly generated, instead simply being pulled out from a series of premade ones?
>>
>>335824383
You're retarded. Not the game's fault.
>>
>>335826094
Yes. I have no idea why because 90% of levels are literally rectangles
>>
why is there no save option
>flawless 1st and 2nd boss
>3rd floor, now with 7 hearts as marine
>have strong guns like hexagun and shit
>scrambler is in shop
>get trident from chest
>friend takes me on a trip to the beach
>quit to desktop
>open gungeon again to see if it saved my game
>it didn't
>shut down computer
>go on trip, slightly butthurt
>>
>>335816304
>finally beat the boss and get the bullet for the first time
>had fantastic weapons
>stinger, egg, tons of health and armor
>fight the pilots past and get fucked
just fuck my shit up
>>
>>335827412
Although not having save&quit option is a bit retarded (were they afraid of people scumming their way for achievements?) to be fair the whole thing takes like 40 minutes to beat
>>
>>335827146
keep of the lead lord, gungeon proper and forge rooms are normally supposed to be rectacles, now black powder mine and hollow, those are caves, they should have more uniquely shaped rooms than they have right now
>>
>>335817096
no you don't understand, the enemies gain more health every floor, getting to floor 4 where floor 1 enemies take 3 clips each to kill
>>
>>335816304
It's a great game. It's a rogue-lite, not a roguelike, as in it takes some very basic elements that are a staple of rogue like random generation, permanent death, RNG being a factor in a large amount of the games mechanics, and difficulty.
However, it's also very skilled based, with an emphasis on the player getting good at understanding enemy behavior and bullet patterns, and working with what you are given.
>>
Game is good but progression is flawed currently. Waiting on patches to possibly sort it out. Worth the money at least.
>>
Enemy design is a lackluster, not only same enemies are recycled each floor with bigger health bar, their attacks are boring as shit, there are like 10 variations of 'a guy who shoots rapidly in your general direction', with minor differences. But the biggest let down are bosses. All they do is shit out bullets, which I guess is okay in shmup shit eaters books, but after Isaac I was spoiled with variety and uniqueness.
>>
>>335817096
>What kind of bullethell are you playing where the bosses aren't healthsponges?

Any bullet hell game. Most bosses last a minute, or two for the especially spongey ones.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.