[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everyone could have been happy. All they would have had to do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4
Everyone could have been happy. All they would have had to do is not even make Guard and use the resources and time spent on it to make a normal control scheme that was still balanced, but they didn't, and the game actually suffered for it because they tried to force a gimmick. Since this is Nintendo, there is a 99.99% guarantee that they won't even release a patch to make the motion controls optional in an attempt to maybe draw in the people put off by the whole thing. It could have been better. We had Platinum working on a Star Fox game of all things, and if we're being 100% honest, the area that they truly excel in is gameplay, but we'll never get to see their talent applied to its fullest because of a forced gimmick. Everyone could have had fun, but now they can't.
>>
The game is fine the way it is.
>>
What's even the "forced gimmick" everyone keeps whining about, using the gamepad?
>>
>>335801823
they can't gitgud and blame the controls, which are perfectly fine once you learn how to use them properly.

kids these days want to button mash everything and win at games without a learning curve.
>>
>>335802263
Forcing motion controls without alternatives is foolish and stupid. You're guaranteed to lose a part of the playerbase you would normally have, which has certainly proven true with Zero thus far. Most of the negative reviews by players or otherwise list the controls as one of their biggest problems with the game.
>>
Is it just me or do people overexaggerate of the difficulty of the controls? Sure they're unconventional but I got used to them after the second level. Hell, there's even tutorials for every vehicle on the main screen.
>>
>>335803063
Some people just don't like motion controls. Anyone who is in that boat and has also played Skyward Sword will probably like Zero's controls less than they normally would.
>>
>>335803031
Because they're shit at playing games. A chimpanzee can use motion controls, why is it so hard for these self-described gamers?
>>
>>335800876
But Star Fox Guard is better. If anything, Star Fox Zero's development took away from Guard being even better.
>>
>>335800876
>there is a 99.99% guarantee that they won't even release a patch to make the motion controls optional
Good. Maybe people will try to learn new controls instead of complaining.
>>
I really enjoyed it. It's a shame the gyrowing bullshit took time and resources over more interesting levels. The fullspeed one using the gamepad to slither through crevices was the highlight for me. Enjoyable with flaws and too short 7/10 not as good as Assault.
>>
>>335804537
Assault is not a 7/10 or above
>>
>>335803997
Or maybe they just don't like them? I certainly don't care for motion controls outside of supplementary use.
>>
I like the game just fine and I can even deal with the motion controls well too. My biggest problem is just how lacking the game seems to be in content. There should have been more mission, levels, and alternate paths. Some other modes wouldn't have hurt either. As it stands, the game just feels lacking.
>>
look at F-zero

miyamoto won't even make a game unless he can shoe horn some gimmicky control scheme in
>>
>>335804650
Why did people hate Assault, again? Because there were segments where you go outside the Arwing? Assault was fucking great and I hate that we'll likely never see more of the things that made it good.
>>
>>335804914
F-zero was going to have a game on the Wii U but the devs said no because they wanted to do something else
>>
>>335804767
But they never had an option for Wii games to offer d-pad support or whatnot

It's the way they envisioned you to play and experience it
>>
>>335805002
Fuck them.
>>
>>335804990
I don't know why people hated it. I can tell you why I hated it. And yes, it has to do with the tedious slow and long levels where you freely jump between arwing, landmaster and ground. I didn't even finish one playthrough. The dinosaur level with the ruins did it for me.
>>
>>335805002
What? another fucking mario game?
>>
File: 1460216420743.jpg (20 KB, 310x206) Image search: [Google]
1460216420743.jpg
20 KB, 310x206
>>335800876
>platinum excels at gameplay

Lolwut, they only excel at making mediocre games aimed at kissless fat virgins.
>>
>>335805438
Yes, anon. Nintendo is a development studio. Nintendo called Nintendo and said no to F-Zero because they wanted to make a Mario game that never came out.
>>
>>335803063
This. They just take some adjusting to but they do work pretty well. It's no different than the motion controls in Splatoon, aside from having a first person view as well.
>>
>>335800876
They actually tried to remove the motion controls but since its a ressurrected Wii game that they didn't have much of the source code for for whatever reason, they couldn't.

Forgot where I read that but it WAS googleable.
>>
>>335805037
But that's not what Star Fox is supposed to be like. It's not what the player expects out of a Star Fox game. They expect something like SF1, 2, 64, or even Assault (in that it had normal Star Fox segments). They should have provided an alternative for the sake of not alienating the fans of the series.

>>335805203
The dinosaur level WAS pretty bad.

>>335805631
What? That sounds like the dumbest, most stubborn, lazy shit.
>>
>>335805946
Did you complain about Metroid Prime because it was a shooter with puzzles and backtracking in an isolated world ... but this time IN FIRST PERSON?
>>
>>335806308
No, because that was taking the same formula and adapting it to 3D. This is taking Star Fox and making it a frustrating chore to play.
>>
They just never learn.
>>
>>335800876
The shills cant get it through their heads that some people just do not like gimmicks and don't want to use them. Nothing to do with skill, which I'm sure I have more than most of the casual gimmick defenders. I just don't like gimmicks. I didn't like the Wiimote, I didn't like tilting with the GBA, I don't like forced touchscreen controls, I didn't like 3DS augmented reality, and I dont like WiiU Gyros.

Nintendo is literally alienating tons of sales to be special snowflakes like pic related said.
>>
>>335802263
Gittinggud shouldn't have to include dealing with overly complex controls. The challenge ideally should come from the difficulty of the gameplay itself.
>>
>>335803031
>without alternatives
you can literally turn them off
>>
I got the game yesterday. Yeah, some bosses are tricky but otherwise its just like 64. just line up the boxes. Its not even hard
>>
>you need to deactivate the shield
>there's 2 of them
You know what should be on a frenetic arcade shooter, a long and tedious section where you maneuver a helicopter around forever and if that wasn't slow enough you have to deploy a tiny robot to unlock certain doors or deactivate shields.
What the fuck.
>>
>>335807307
you havent even played the game
>>
I'm enjoying it. Turn off the motion controls when you aren't firing and they feel great.

I will say the sense of scale seems a bit too large compared to 64, which is why the game feels "slower" than its predecessor. Sector Omega was a bit too fast, but if you zoom in and go just a bit slower you'd have the perfect speed. It also sometimes isn't clear when lasers are actually hurting something, which feels a little rough. Lock on is OP as always.
>>
>>335807446
Except you cant sonny boy. Have you even been paying attention or bought the game?

IGN
https://twitter.com/Futterish/status/705532260288696320
different article:
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/you-cant-disable-motion-controls-in-star-fox-zero-but-you-can-change-the-wa
>>
>>335807741
>implying

Played it but wont buy it. Once again you paid marekting agency shills have no idea what you're interfering with, you're just paid to defend a product no matter what its destroying.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>335807770
but you can. Its on option on the game pad.
>>
>>335807639
Gyrowing is easily one of my biggest complaints with the game. It's fine for teaching people the gyro controls and shit but it and every level involving it is so sow, boring, and often directionless.
>>
>>335807897
Spread more lies. If gamepad use wasn't forced, then people wouldnt be complaining.
>>
>>335807446
Yes, if you want to cripple yourself and make the game ridiculously unfair. It's less like a legitimate option and more of a giant middle finger to anyone that doesn't want to use motion controls.
>>
>>335806691
Because you can't adjust to some of the easiest-to-use controls ever?
>>
>>335807868
I'll kill you you fucking faggot. Only underage redditers use SHILL to dismiss opinions they dont like.
>>
>>335807770
It's an option in the pause screen, good job showing you haven't played the game.
>>
>>335807971
>>335807969
I know what you mean, I was so pissed when Halo and Metroid Prime forced me to use controllers instead of the superior M+KB that all FPS games should use.
>>
>>335800876
Why are people bitching about wanting to fully disable Gyro in a game DESIGNED around Gyro aiming?
>>
Then you would still have a 3 to 4 hours game, most of which is small nothing levels and by the time you autistically collected all the medals you get a skin with no new content to use it on
>>
>>335807978
It's not about whether or not the controls are easy to learn and/or use, but more about the fact that motion controls are frustrating to use because that are not as consistent as a pad and stick and they are less accurate, as well. The only game where I can say this wasn't a problem (that I've played) is Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy, because Retro actually found a way to make the fucking gimmick work, but it still suffers from not being able to center the reticule whenever you want or need.
>>
>>335808192
BUT NOT MUH STAIR FAIX SIXTY FORE
>>
>>335801512
>>335801823
>>335802263
It's Command all over again, and you asshats are sucking Nintendo's cock too hard to see it.
>>
>>335808149
Metroid Prime games are legitimately not FPS's, barring maybe Hunters. If you think they are, you are failing to see the fundamental differences between the two.
>>
Starfox Zero needs about 15-20 more phases, and a couple more planets. Forced lock on needs to die. There need to be some on-rails bosses, and some of the bosses need some tweaks/fixes.

There are probably some other things I would change I'm forgetting, like removing the fucking robot from the gyrocopter. But obvious shit like letting people customize the controls and dropping the dual screen gimmick don't need repeating. Not to mention adding Expert mode.
>>
>>335808604
Yeah, no. Hunters definitely IS an FPS.
>>
>>335808192
All the sections designed around the gyroaiming are by far the worst parts, fuck the chicken wing, fuck the gyrowing even harder.
All the others where you are just shooting stuff and going fast are by far the best, especially the penultimate level before the biggest disappointment in the game.
Seriously that's the Andross fight you decided to go with? fuck you Miyamoto.
>>
>>335808710
Naw Gyro Aiming really improved the game and allowed for more accurate aiming and fighting. Transformations added new ways to go about missions to help maximize score. Also Gyro Aiming made Sector Gamma much better than what it would be without them by not making missiles too much of a hassle.

Also i've found it to be a meme for people to get full on assblasted on the Gyrowing. Sure its not everyone's cup of tea but the extent people take their hatred of it and how it's speed is, truly, is an over exaggeration.

Also I think Zero's Andross was a better challenge than 64's simplistic final boss.
>>
>>335809252
>Gyro Aiming really improved the game and allowed for more accurate aiming and fighting.

You know what would be even better? If Gyro aiming was able to be supplementary to normal controls. Motion controls aren't inherently bad, but they don't need to be the main way to play, and we need options.
>>
>>335809252
>Also I think Zero's Andross was a better challenge than 64's simplistic final boss.
This Andross is even more simple even, for example on the 64 when he extended his hand for you to shoot he'd vomit blocks at you at the same time.
In Zero that's 2 seperate cycles.
And it's missing true form and escape sequence, in this one he just kinda chases you for a bit until he falls apart from you shooting it.
>>
>>335809632
The thing is the game is still designed around Gyro aiming, removing that fully would probably make the game too difficult.
>>
Star Fox Zero is fine. If they had made the gameplay just as 64, the shitposting would be about how the game is literally the same.
>>
>>335809691
>This Andross is even more simple even, for example on the 64 when he extended his hand for you to shoot he'd vomit blocks at you at the same time.

Not him, but that never happened and I've played 64 enough times to remember
>>
>>335809632
Gyro aiming can't be supplementary to the normal controls, because it's designed to be the standard. You cannot match the speed or precision that gyro aiming gives you with twin sticks, especially given aiming is independent of movement in 180 degrees in front of you.

You would have to dumb the game down ridiculously to make it even possible, which would completely trivialize it.
>>
>>335809691
>>Also I think Zero's Andross was a better challenge than 64's simplistic final boss.
>This Andross is even more simple even, for example on the 64 when he extended his hand for you to shoot he'd vomit blocks at you at the same time.
Nope, it doesn't happen like that.
>>
They should have stop this 60 fps meme or at least lower the resolution a bit to compensate for it because there are sections when lasers are over the screen and you can see and feel in the controls the game slowing down to a crawl.
Section Beta is especially terrible.
>>
>>335810645
Alternatively, they could have just made a more powerful system.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.