[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What could have Rare done to make this game not suck?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Banjo-Tooie_cover.png (129 KB, 300x209) Image search: [Google]
Banjo-Tooie_cover.png
129 KB, 300x209
What could have Rare done to make this game not suck?
>>
But it didn't suck by any means, it just overall wasn't as good as the first.
>>
what I want to know is, why is this gae 4 times more expensive than the first one?
>>
>>335794391

remove fps mazes
>>
>>335794483
>empty worlds
>bland color pallet
>Obnoxious back tracking
>Shitty bosses
>Clunky fps mode
>Terrible framerate
>>
They could have made an actual platformer, not a scavenger hunt on the playground.
>>
>>335794391
>>335794483
>>335794623
>>335794626
>>335794645
When did /v/ get such bad taste? I even replayed the game a couple years ago and it still held up.
>>
>>335794752
I take it you don't play many 3D platformers.
>>
>>335794817
On the contrary, I've played a shitton of them. Spyro, Crash (though that's not really a 3D platformer), Mario, Vexx, Glover, Banjo Kazooie obviously, DK64.

Seriously, it's a great game and one of the best.
>>
>>335794391
>>335794645
It's so easy to spot PS2 generation children who didn't get to grow up with actual good games.
>>
>>335794991
>Crash
>though that's not really a 3D platformer

So your idea of a 3D platformer is open world collectathons and anything else doesn't count?

Yeah. I can tell you only had an N64 growing up.

I recommend you play Blinx 1 & 2, Rayman 2 & 3, Gex 2 & 3, Sly Cooper & the Thevius Racoonus, the Ratchet & Clank series, and the Pacman World trilogy.

>inb4 "I played those too and they're all shit"
>>
>>335795431
Not that anon but have you played a Gex game lately? They aren't as sharp as you might remember.
>>
>>335795520
Let me guess. You only had the N64 version.
>>
>>335795431
I played Rayman 2 & 3, Sly series, and some of the Ratchet & Clank games. None of them are better than the Banjo games although the Sly series come close and the others are alright.

And yes, Banjo Tooie is more of a platformer than Crash and the R&C series.
>>
>>335795618
I never had the 64 versions or the handhelds if you're going to grasp at that straw.
>>
File: platformer.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
platformer.jpg
76 KB, 1280x720
>>335795695
>Banjo Tooie is more of a platformer than Crash and the R&C series
Now you're just shitposting.
>>
>>335795791
>cherrypicking
And you call me the shitposter?
>>
>>335794391
it didn't suck.
>>
>>335795851
>fps stages
>cherrypicking
did you even play the game?
>>
>>335796117
Yes. There were very few of them and ESPECIALLY compared to fucking Ratchet & Clank which YOU brought up.
>>
>>335795520
this is actually true i retried the series a few months ago and i just couldn't finish it
>>
>>335795851
Banjo KAZOOIE is a platformer. Tooie is a clusterfuck of minigames strung together by an explorable hub.

>>335796170
There isn't a single fps stage in Ratchet & Clank and you're an idiot if you don't consider Crash a 3D platformer.
>>
2d.

3d platformers are shit.
>>
>>335794626
I think this empty worlds complaint is what resonates with me the most.

The worlds themselves weren't really empty per se but they were very spacious and huge and very, very low density. Especially the main world map. I imagine that "bigger map" automatically meant "better world" but when I was playing Banjo Tooie, one of my problems was just that I got lost a lot early on and just basically roamed aimlessly looking for things to do. If they were similarly sized to Banjo-Kazooie worlds, then I got nothing but I doubt that's actually the case.

It really didn't help that they dumbed downed the collectathons with the reduced note count and the permanently-saved note progresses. Seriously, I don't want a repeat of Rusty Bucket Bay's note hunting but goddamn, discovering the changes they made to the system at the first world was very, very disappointing.

I fucking loved the first game, played the shit out of it until I basically learned every single aspect of the game, every single placement, etc. I was late to the Banjo-Tooie party because my parents were extra strict which ended up with me only ever getting a total of 8 N64 games over the span of the console's lifetime but every single person I talked to would never shut up about how Banjo-Tooie was the best sequel in existence. Sadly when I finally sat down to play it, it really didn't feel like it at all.

I loved some of the exploration aspects (e.g. passages and interactions between the worlds that wasn't just a Grunty switch) and the novelty of the FPS levels but it was a largely different game from the first one, and honestly I don't see how it was supposed to be better.

Diddy Kong Racing, Tetrisphere, Star Fox 64, Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Snap, Super Smash Bros.
Got Paper Mario, Pokemon Stadium 2, Banjo-Tooie, Mario Kart 64, Ocarina of Time during the Gamecube era. Still haven't played Majora's Mask now that I think about it.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.