[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Game has a durability system >Equipment never degrades
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: skyrim_smithing.jpg (72 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
skyrim_smithing.jpg
72 KB, 600x337
>Game has a durability system
>Equipment never degrades quick enough for it to be an issue
>Merchants repair all items to full for a very very low price
>You can carry items that repair weapons and armor
>You can sometimes even get skills to repair them

What's the point of durability on equipment in games? To annoy the player? The only time I've seen it used well is Dragon's Crown, where you had to carry around 9 bags of equipment/items to keep those sweet chain dungeon bonuses coming.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 392x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 392x400
>>335774312
>thread about durability systems in games
>Skyrim pic
>>
To sink money and make you choose between on dedicated weapon or pacing youself through multiple ones.
>>
>>335774532
Yeah I know. it was the easiest pic I could find of a game character crafting.
>>
>>335774652
Fair enough
>>
>>335774312
Repair system is always garbage and unnecessary.
>>
Holdover from old RPG's where there exist things like rust monsters that can destroy equipment permanently and that sorta shit.
>>
File: 1322351638161.jpg (129 KB, 317x628) Image search: [Google]
1322351638161.jpg
129 KB, 317x628
>Get puked on by a Chaos Eater
>>
File: 2012-07-16_00001.jpg (465 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2012-07-16_00001.jpg
465 KB, 1920x1080
>>335774312
>What's the point of durability on equipment in games?

Incentivizes the player to not just stick with the one item, but to try others. Also to punish mistakes and dying.

But this rarely happens and more than often it just serves to annoy the player.
>>
It's usually to add an element of survival, but it doesn't matter in many games. It's used somewhat decently in Nioh, since the durability is there to encourage constantly switching equipment.
>>
You need to be constantly getting more weapons in Fire Emblem, I think it has an okay durability system. IIRC Fates changed it though.
>>
>>335774312
Try Pathologic, I think it does it well (it could be harder/more punishing, but then it would fuck over people who aren't as good at the game)
>will you trade your only gun to ensure a surplus of food
>do you get your gun repaired so you can actually defend yourself, or buy enough food/medicine for another day and have fights come down to luck?
>>
Hello anons. I'm the only fucker in the entire world that liked the durability of weapons in Dark Souls 2. Have a tiny little rapier and you want to take on a giant fire demon? Better watch that blade.

Ask me anything.
>>
>>335774312
Unnecessary fluff and cheap way to make the game seem challenging.
And it's not even "old school".
Fallout 1/2 didn't have weapons degradation for example.
>>
>>335774532

Oblivion had item durability - cut out for skyrim because casuals found it irritating when their uber sword broke.
>>
>>335779035
How many times a day to do either flirt or get sexually intimate with men?
>>
>be nwah in morrowind
>be heavy armor
>tfw would go into shops or fighters guilds to steal repair hammers
>would go back to home base to repair make alchemy
>would sometimes cast spells to make me slightly invincible, would run into groups of strong enemies and just get beat up so my armor skills would go up
>>
has anyone even used the black smith in DS3 to repair equipment?

it seems completely fucking useless because resting at a bonfire repairs everything anyway.
>>
>>335781846
Nope. Most I've done is use a single repair powder in a complete playthrough and that was because I forgot to use the bonfire after dying.
>>
>>335775424
How does it "punish mistakes and dying" if it degrades regardless of what you do with it?

>>335777209
It did. pretty much all weapons now have no durability except for staves. In a game like FE where you have a shitload of units to manage, weapon durability can be quite a bitch.

>>335779812
Given how fast shit degraded and how much it cost to repair said shit, they had a good reason to be salty about it.
>>
>>335781846
only had a weapon in danger once after running a long stretch without resting at bonfires, only lighting them. it's pretty pointless.
>>
>>335774312
Crpgs have their roots in scavenging type game play, equipment degrade is simply apart of that system, wanna keep an item? better scavenge to keep it together, don't care so much? continue to scavenge for a replacement.
>>
>>335777209

I always thought that weapon degradation was one of the shittiest aspects of FE's gameplay. It only actually mattered when it came to rare and exceptionally powerful weapons; in every other situation it just added a layer of micromanagement that didn't add anything but busywork.
>>
there's no game where equipment degradation adds to the gameplay, it's almost always pure tedium/padding
I think finding weapons in different conditions and then repairing them up can work in some games (eg STALKER)
>>
>>335783193
>there's no game where equipment degradation adds to the gameplay, it's almost always pure tedium/padding

>>335778841
>>335778841
>>
>Game has a durability system
>Equipment degrades like it was made of cardboard
>Only certain items or stores can repair items and it costs a lot, more than all the enemies you could kill with the weapon before it breaks drop

FUCKING FROMSOFT REEEE
I'm not even talking about souls btw
>>
>>335783434
it sounds like actual degradation adds nothing to that though
like finding a shitty gun and repairing it is fine, but having to constantly go back to some merchant is just annoying
>>
I personally liked the durability of weapons in scholar of the first sin because it incentivized me to switch it up instead of just using one weapon throughout the entire game.
>>
>>335783450
>REEEE
gb2reddit
>>
>>335783691
How do you know what goes on over at reddit anon? Is there something you want to tell us?
>>
I hate durability in any single player focused game that isn't some survival horror shit. If I find something I really like to use then I'm going to use it and I'm going to make sure I have the resources to use it as long as I like. It just turns into a timesink more than anything. It inconveniences me, does not encourage me to use other things.
>>
>>335774312
>What's the point of durability on equipment in games?

goldsink
>>
>>335774312
play shadow tower then m8

>hit enemy 50 times
>your best sword breaks
>can only repair it at a smith
>like 5 of them in the whole game
>need to sacrifice health to repair weapons AND to buy shit
>can get an item that repairs like 3 or 4 points of durability on the go (i.e.: fucking nothing)

forces you to use shit weapons all the time unless you need to pull out the big guns

t-thanks from
>>
>>335782394
> In a game like FE where you have a shitload of units to manage, weapon durability can be quite a bitch.
In all FEs I've played I've found it to be most efficient to unload all the equipment before a new chapter, choose units that I want to participate and then equip them from the stash.
>>
>>335783538
Ah, I should've bothered to actually complain.
Pathologic's gameplay is based pretty heavily around resource management (time you have to complete objectives vs various measures of personal health vs actual resources like money, medicines and food), but the NPCs can all be pretty roughly characterised as 'characters' (actual unique/semi-unique characters with personalities and importance to the plot) or 'actors' (who are multiple characters sharing an archetype, like 'drunkard' or 'teenage girl' or 'old man') and it's two of these types that repairs your weapons and clothing - so it's not as if you're having to return to a specific npc, you run into them around town at roughly the same rate you do other actors or shops.

But since weapon degradation actually has an effect on performance (guns are less accurate, melee weapons do less damage) and the sheer number of resources you have to balance vs the difficulty of actually gathering them, it puts a lot of pressure on the player with regards to management (not to mention how punishing combat can be in general)
It's pretty difficult and fun!
>>
>>335774312
I liked it in ds2 and farcry2 but most people whine whenever you introduce this type of systems
>>
Yeah it's bullshit, yet you children bitched and moaned when Fallout 4 got rid of this pointless feature.
>>
I think the only game that does breakable weapons/equipment right is Dead Rising. There are duplicates everywhere, you're encouraged to keep swapping between them and to experiment, and there's no sort of upgrade system to waste time and resources on. In RPGs where you're pooling resources into enhancing a weapon, playing favourites or not coming across duplicates regularly enough (and if equipping them in a long process), degradation is pointless.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.