[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sonic Lost World
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
Honestly I wish I tried it sooner. It definitely has some problems. The parkour thing is really poorly explained and inconsistent, some level specific gimmicks can be dumb and result in tons of cheap deaths, all dialogue that doesnt come out of Eggman is pretty cringeworthy. Overall though, I really liked this game. Colors gets a lot credit for being the savior of the franchise, but honestly I think the level design in this blows Colors out of the water, and Sonic feels better to control here too for the most part. The graphics and music are great too. I don't know. Some of Lost World's bullshit spots can get really bad, but maybe I just have a higher tolerance for garbage. I actually think this is a pretty good game.
>>
It's not a "bad" game, it's just very bland. Sonic Team tried to redesign the wheel again after Sonic Generations got it pretty damn right for no real reason.
The level themes most of the time feel like Mario, half the music feels like Mario, the level design feels like Mario Galaxy and the new villains are stereotypes that are just completely uninteresting. Also the tone of the stoy was just fucking all over the place with it being silly half the time and deadly serious the other times. What exactly IS the Lost Hex? Why are Tails excited that they found it? What even ARE the Deadly Six?

It's just an incredibly muddled game.
>>
File: sonictier_2014.jpg (1 MB, 2800x1950) Image search: [Google]
sonictier_2014.jpg
1 MB, 2800x1950
>>335769270
It's not a bad game, and I think it does a decent job as far as trying to make Sonic a 3D platformer.
One of the main gripes people have had with modern Sonic is the lack of physics and momentum, but I don't see how you could really translate that into 3D. The possibilities of where you can go and what you can do increase exponentially when you take Sonic's pinball physics and put it in 3D, so having good level design to complement that feels almost impossible.
>>
File: 1459970960546.jpg (10 KB, 144x145) Image search: [Google]
1459970960546.jpg
10 KB, 144x145
>>335769845
>2D fag
>>
>>335769845
You can do momentum-based physics platforming with good level design pretty well if you dedicate some actual effort to it. 3D Sonic games have literally never had that effort applied because they've always been busy trying to do a dozen other things at the same time, like the games have all been designed by 8-year-olds with ADHD.
>>
File: Screenshot24602.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot24602.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>335770139
True. Almost every single Sonic game since the Dreamcast released has been a clusterfuck of half-baked ideas.

The Adventure games and '06 are all over the place.
Unleashed is still bogged down by medals and werehog, which, while not necessarily bad, still might as well be a completely different game.

Heroes was at least a step in the right direction in that everyone fucking played the same and everything revolved around one type of gameplay, even though they again padded the fuck out of it. Then they fucked it up anyway with later games.

Colors and Generations were alright with just having smaller gimmick acts and the challenges, because they at least revolved around the mechanics of the main game just in interesting ways.

I thought most of Lost World was alright. You had your annoying levels and sections, but I think every world had at least one really good level, so the potential is there.
>>
>>335769845
>no Advance games or Rush
get on that shit nigga
>>
>>335769845
>colors is better than adventure 2, heroes, unleashed, generations, or lost world

This colors is the best sonic is probably one of the worst memes in sonic in recent years. Like, it really needs to stop
>>
>>335769845
Just got a Wii for the first time off a friend who was looking to get rid of one. Ordered Trauma Centre and Sonic Colours off EBay for my first couple of games. Gonna get the obligatory Nintendo Mario-shit down the track, I suppose (keen on Super Paper Mario, Galaxy/2, NSMBW), but I'm glad to know I made a good call on Sonic Colours, wasn't too sure about that one.
>>
>>335769845
>liking heroes, unleashed and lost world more than both adventure games
>thinking colors is anything above meh
Wow
>>
File: Screenshot13872.jpg (960 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot13872.jpg
960 KB, 1920x1080
>>335770838
>>335771070
Colors is definitely better than Adventure 2 and Heroes. I dunno. I made that shit years ago and probably wouldn't put Colors as high today, but I think it did a lot of shit right.

>minimal, lighthearted story
>sticks to one thing
>beautiful worlds
>interesting and varied acts
>final boss that isn't a Super Sonic shoe-in

My main complaints are the fact that the level design is pretty limited and the gameplay is essentially a watered down Unleashed. I didn't like only being able to use certain abilities when I was in a section of the level designated for it. I thought the Wisps were fun though, and they were usually optional, just to get you to alternate routes, red coins, etc.

>not playing in the Game Land with a buddy
>>
>>335771182
>minimal story
>sticks to one thing
>final boss isnt super sonic related

These are bad things. The other things, every other sonic has it too.
>>
>>335771293
Sonic stories are fucking retarded. Colors was better for lacking one.
>>
>>335771182
I find Lost World genuinely pretty when it wants to be. Namely Silent Forest Act 4 and Tropical Coast.
>>
>>335771293
>These are bad things.
Not trying to be a jack of all trades is a bad thing?
Not having a shitty deviantart-tier story is a bad thing?
I'd rather them focus on the fucking gameplay, something they've been fucking up for two decades now.
>>
>>335771293
>there are people who actually like Sonic plots
>>
>>335771439
There needs to be stakes and some elements of drama to keep things moving forward and to feel like all your effort is amounting to something (saving station square, saving the moon and earth, putting the world back together and sealing the darkness, etc). Colors lacks any stakes and negative moments and the story feels largely inconsequential for it.

>>335771501
Jack of all trades with good core sonic stages is better than sonic only with decent act 1s and 5 other acts of garbage.

The gameplay is fine as it is, its the levels that suck ass. And there is a lot of bad levels in colors that are hastily hacked together to give the illusion that theres a lot of game. When most of it is act 1 recycled with different block placement in 2D and a wisp or 2 to spam to beat the level. The 8 or so main day acts of unleashed are better than the total 36 acts of colors, and the main 6 acts of colors. All while boasting a whole different game on the same disc. Generations handled this better by having a variety of side missions that are actually good and change things up. Colors is a piece of shit that everyone calls perfect because it was the first sonic to come out with no alternate gameplay. It being a nintendo exclusive probably has something to do with it as well
>>
>>335771723
They're schlocky and dumb and that's part of the fun.

They aren't needed though, yeah.
>>
File: 1358509711384s.jpg (6 KB, 90x125) Image search: [Google]
1358509711384s.jpg
6 KB, 90x125
>>335769845
You know what? I'll be that guy and ask this.

What WAS the problem with 2006?
>>
>>335772720
It's essentially Sonic Adventure 3, except it was rushed as fuck, half the game is loading times, and the story is even more retarded than usual.
>>
>>335772720
rushed and/or broken
shitloads of loading
fanfic story
looks ugly in game
just generally controls awful

falling off automatic paths never gets old though
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.