[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Dude what if we made literally half of the cast be inconsequential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 10
File: ffxii_r_9.jpg (172 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ffxii_r_9.jpg
172 KB, 1024x768
>Dude what if we made literally half of the cast be inconsequential to the story
>Dude what if we made multiple cutscenes where the main character has no idea what's going on and just stands in the background while people who matter speak
>Dude what if we made a character who's literally just a random girl off the street with no important qualities outside of an extremely large ass
>Dude what if we made a character with an interesting and nuanced backstory and then only let the player use him in one dungeon, at the end of which he dies
>Dude what if we made a villain who has zero emotional connection to the heroes and doesn't even meet them until the second-to-final cutscene
>Dude what if we took an established setting with a million interesting species and then only included humans and bunny humans as playable characters
>Dude what if we made a complicated political plot and then ruined it by turning it into standard ancient god shenanigans halfway through
>Dude what if we made a plot where the heroes have almost no impact on what happens until 95% of the way through the story, and they spend their time tromping from one ancient temple to the next
>Dude what if we took everything 100% seriously and had zero levity outside of Balthier and Cid
>Dude what if we wrote all of the dialogue to sound like a Renaissance Fair
>Dude what if we we had no overworld and all travel was handled by a menu or floating teleport crystals
>Dude what if we made a battle system where you set everything up in advance so that you don't actually play the game
>Dude what if we made a level-up system where all of the characters become literally identical in function
>Dude what if we made summons useless except for opening doors
>Dude what if we put all of the interesting and unique content in sidequests
>Dude what if we had really shitty music
>>
>over 6 hours of cutscenes

Wew. I thought I was playing a video game, not a movie.
>>
>>335754818
Nice copy paste

Anyways its a shame how the game with so many cool races was so...Xenophobic party wise.
>>
>>335754818
>Dude what if we made a character with an interesting and nuanced backstory and then only let the player use him in one dungeon, at the end of which he dies

who
>>
>>335755080
The captain guy, right?
>>
>>335755227
The guy that you rescue from the airship? Does he die at the end of that dungeon in the desert? That's where I dropped the game.
>>
>>335755080
Reddas
>>335755425
No, that's another guy.
>>
What girl was literally off the street?
>>
>>335754818
I liked the game. I just thought it'd be better if it wasn't so hamfisted about its theme. I think everyone would agree that the overall theme is doing one's duty as opposed to doing the right thing. This is the entire point of Ashe's journey by forcing her to do her duty and become the next dynasty king by siding with the Occurians, or to go against them and free humanity from their grip. But through out the game, the story never shows us that we should do anything BUT take the moral high ground. This is paralleled by Gabranth, who chose his duty over doing the right thing and he suffered for it. Wherea as Cid chose to abandon his duties as Judge once he found out about the manufacturing of nethicite but he suffered no ills for his decision. The theme wants us to choose between these two things, a choice which would be hard in real life, but it doesn't really give us a choice because it's pretty much forcing us to take the moral high road. Overall, the narrative is pretty good and the story is executed well, but it doesn't have as much depth as 13 does.
>>
>>335755810
>Wherea as Cid chose to abandon his duties as Judge once he found out about the manufacturing of nethicite but he suffered no ills for his decision.
Didn't Cid die for his decisions?
>>
>>335756010
Shit. I meant Balthier. The son of Cid.
>>
This pasta again
>>
>>335754818
>People still mad the main character wasn't some bland Mary Sue from Nobility like Ramza
>>
>>335757010
Better Ramza than Vaan.
>>
I have beaten this game 9 times and who is Vaan
>>
Basch would of been a better mc then both van and balthier
>>
File: 1449718626272.jpg (908 KB, 1293x1728) Image search: [Google]
1449718626272.jpg
908 KB, 1293x1728
>>335754818

Pic very related
>>
>>335755775
Anyone? pls?
>>
>>335757619
Penelo did horrible things for cash.
>>
>>335755775
Penelo
>>
>>335757010
Name one FF main protag that was a noble, not counting the guy in the new FFXV.
>>
>>335757010
Ramza a Mary Sue? What game were you playing?
>>
I thought it was 'dude what if we took the guy who made masterpieces like Tactics Ogre and Vagrant Story then fired him halfway through and just threw together the pieces in no logical way'
>>
The worse crime here is that Square haven't released the International Zodiac version on PSN with trophy support.

>inb4 just emulate it
Tried that. It runs alright with tweaks but I'm not happy with the performance. Mostly just my rig though.
>>
>>335757010
>bland mary sue noble
>instead we got bland mary sue peasant
wow so much better
>>
>>335757950
Cecil
Sort of Bartz
Tidus was the equivalent of a noble
I think Firion
>>
>>335758031
Fucking this exactly.

I wouldn't be surprised if XII wasn't even supposed to be a Final Fantasy game until halfway through development.
>>
>>335758268
Cecil was a knight, so really more of a soldier than a noble. Closest one you said.
Bartz grew up in a fucking tiny village. His dad was a warrior, not a lord.
Tidus is a timetraveling athlete. He had different daddy issues than being a royal.
Firion was not. All the FF2 main characters are just random kids with dead parents.
>>
i feel like one of the minority but i actually enjoyed 12, the combat system vs harder enemies was pretty fun, and i kind of liked the 'strategy' needed to an extent

the 'mmo' feel was kind of a downer in the sense the world felt really empty in certain areas, but i liked the story and a majority of the characters

of the more 'recent' ff's the only one that felt off to me was 9, it just felt so... different compared to the ones before and after it, and while the characters weren't really bad none of them really stood out to me either besides garnet and that fine ass, and vivi of course, but like.. that's it really

the game itself wasn't bad, just felt different i guess
>>
>>335757950
Squall was the son of the President. Since it's a lifelong presidency he might as well be King, which makes Squall, for all intensive purposes, a prince.
>>
>>335758719
I think 12 would've been one of my favorites if the areas were more condensed. I replayed it last year, and forgot how much time is spent walking in big empty areas.

>>335758871
>diamond dozen
>>
>running a crystal clear and butter smooth FFXII IZJS on an emulator with a controller

It's so fucking good. I love it. You poorfag rigs are missing out.
>>
>>335757010
>people still thinking Vaan was the main character
>>
File: FF Tropes.png (235 KB, 1938x1173) Image search: [Google]
FF Tropes.png
235 KB, 1938x1173
All of the games are silly.
>>
>>335759186

At what game in the series did the lolis become genki girls?
>>
>>335759959
6 is the changeover where Relm is both. After that, the only loli is Eiko.
>>
I really want to play this but no international edition sucks
>>
>>335759959
I always preferred genki girls anyways
>>
>>335760873
It's really not that good.
>>
>>335754818
The only interesting thing about FF12 was that you DIDN'T play the main character. You were just some random guy off the street who happened to be in the right place at the right time to meet such interesting people.
>>
>>335761484
Literally changes the whole game
>>
>>335757956
That's what I'm wondering. Ramza is probably the furthest from a sue in ff history.
>>
>>335762381
It only changes the level system. Everything else is the same. Although giving Penelo giant swords at the beginning is funny.
>>
>>335764176
You mean IZJS? It changes way more than that
>>
Weren't Penelo and rat-slayer a thing?
>>
>>335761773
The main problem is that random people were far more interesting than vaan. I get he's not supposed to be important, but that doesn't excuse how forgettable he is. I'm glad that they put more effort into his character in other games, but it just sucks he got the short end of the writing stick in his own game and first outing.
>>
DUDE~!
>>
>>335765769
>Vaan
>other games
I wasn't aware he was in other titles. Which ones?
>>
>>335758631

>Tidus is a timetraveling athlete

lol'd
>>
>>335758631
>Tidus was a timetravelling Athlete
>Time Travel

But that's completely wrong
>>
>>335766917
>>335767039
Kek, I didn't even catch that. Holy shit, what a guy
>>
File: 1451347928055.jpg (126 KB, 942x1240) Image search: [Google]
1451347928055.jpg
126 KB, 942x1240
>>335754818
>implying Vaan isn't Ashe's foil and the reason she doesn't just go out and get revenge against Archadia
Literally the only unimportant main party members are Penelo and Fran. That's not half.
>Dude what if we made a complicated political plot and then ruined it by turning it into standard ancient god shenanigans halfway through
The gods were always important, right from the start. There's a reason the opening of the game involved church scenes and repeated mentions of the gods.Theres a reason there's detailed information on how the Espers came to be.The Occuria always held importance in Ivalice, and the story of this is more about the Occuria's involvement in world politics.
>Dude what if we took everything 100% seriously and had zero levity outside of Balthier and Cid
>Dude what if we made multiple cutscenes where the main character has no idea what's going on and just stands in the background while people who matter speak
These aren't bad things.
>Dude what if we made a villain who has zero emotional connection to the heroes and doesn't even meet them until the second-to-final cutscene
He did meet them early on.They just held no importance at the time.And while he doesnt have an emotional connection to the characters, Larsa,his younger brother,does,which is what helped lead to Larsas displeasure with his brother. And the main characters had an emotional connection to Vayne in that he was the face of Dalmasca's fall and did much in Rabanastre that led Vaan to hate him all the more.
>Dude what if we wrote all of the dialogue to sound like a Renaissance Fair
This isn't just something that fits under"this isnt a bad thing"but it actually fits under one of the positives of the game. Why would you have an issue by that
>Dude what if we we had no overworld and all travel was handled by a menu or floating teleport crystals
Only if you already traveled there using the overworld.Literally just useful for moving from place to place more quickly.
>shitty music
No
>>
>>335759186
>Vaan is obviously with Penelo
No he's not. Penelo is more of a sister to him.
>>
>>335766008
He's in the dissidia games and a tactics game.
>>
>>335768272
he was annoying as shit in Dissidia though. Even Lightning said so
>>
>>335754818
>>Dude what if we we had no overworld and all travel was handled by a menu or floating teleport crystals
Fuck you, nigger. The the world and the traversal of it is amazing.
>>
>>335758164
I have a $350 rig and it runs at a consistent 60fps for me
>>
So Venat wanted to break the Occuria's control over the destiny of mankind. It seemed like he actually had good intent.

But he teamed with Cid and Vayne, who were terrible people. You could say he "fell in with the wrong crowd."
>>
>>335771265
But Vayne did nothing wrong.
>>
>>335754818
>really shitty music
It was a bad game but you're wrong there
>>
>>335771732
Except being involved in an offensive war that killed hundreds of thousands.
>>
>>335770503
You built your own. He didn't
>>
Whoever designed this game obviously really enjoyed the star wars prequels
>>
>>335772028
How can you tell?
>>
>>335754962
Don't ever play any Metal Gear Solid games.
>>
>>335772106
The stuff you see in the opening cutscene looks a lot like the phantom menace
>>
>>335754818
main character was Basch, your argument is invalid
>>
>>335772420
Campy fantasy/scifi politics all looks the same
>>
>>335772642
Basch never does anything though. Btw Ashe is the main.
>>
>that one cutscene where Rasler's ghost/spirit/whatever appears and only Ashe and Vaan could see it

Did this shit ever get explained? I can understand why Ashe could see it but not Vaan.
>>
>>335772835
Writers going Full Camp. You'll see this kind of shit in fanfics and never get explained because it's just retarded writing trying to be DEEP and MEANINGFUL
>>
>>335772835
The Ghost was apparently an Occuria illusion or something. But I have no idea why Vaan could see it.
>>
Hold on. What is this about an extremely large ass?
>>
>>335772835
it was one of the god guys that had been manipulating history for all civilization. Whenever they want to steer the course of events they send visions to their chosen one to emotionally manipulate them into following the plan. Vaan was sent the vision too since he also knew the guy, and that would pressure Ashe to trust what he said as being legit rather than dismiss it as a hallucination
>>
>>335773290
>Vaan was sent the vision too since he also knew the guy
Since when did Vaan know Rasler? And if that's the case why could Basch see it as well?
>>
>>335758631
>Cecil was a knight, so really more of a soldier than a noble.
knights are minor nobility.
>>
>>335773512
Not reallly
>>
>>335754818
>Dude what if we made a story without any twists and turns
>>
>>335754818
>extremely large ass
<citation needed>
>>
>>335757472
FF12 2deep 4me
>>
>>335776232
Occuria is a tweest
>>
>>335759186
>deliberately picking things that happen in FF7 to discredit it
>>
>>335776626
no
>>
>>335759186
>Kefka
>Pretty boy

Are you insane?
>>
>>335775598
Except yes, they were. Fuedalism and the fief system says knights are nobles and own land. Not all soldiers were knights.

Cecil was even raised and trained by the king of baron
>>
>>335759186
Robopope isn't actually a pope. He's a political leader. But there's a ton of religious stuff going on in FF13 you ignored
>>
Yes I hate this game. Stopped and picked it back up twice and put it down twice. That combat is just unfun.
>>
File: Lightning cloud.jpg (171 KB, 576x800) Image search: [Google]
Lightning cloud.jpg
171 KB, 576x800
Despite all the shit FF13 got, it was objectively an improvement over the garbage that was 12.
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games
>FF10 had 8-10 million sales
>FF12 had a chance to ride this success much like how garbage FF8 rode FF7's success
>instead, FF12 had a measly 5.6 million sales
>FF13 had 7.48 million

FF13 had noticeably lower ratings than the other numbered Final Fantasies on gaming websites. Regardless of this, sales speak louder than opinions. The story, cast, and world of FF12 were largely forgettable. The gameplay was the only shining part but even still it's just a single player MMO.

Square recognized that an open world game with tons of sidequests only serve to bore the player into quitting which is why they made something as movie-like and linear as FF13. Yes FF13 had cringeworthy and anime stereotype characters. However, these characters actually interacted with each other and formed bonds reminiscent to some of the older Final Fantasies. FF12's ragtag bunch of misfits never seemed to really know each other even after the freaking 8 hours worth of cutscenes.

There was a point in the story where Balthier even recognized this.
Balthier: How about you Vaan. Why are you here?
Vaan: Ummm....

Yeah why is he and Penelo even there?
>inb4 connection to Ashe
There was barely any interaction between the two. The story may have been coherent if Basch was the leading man.
>>
>BUT GUIZE IZJS IS FUN ON AN EMULATOR THUS THIS IS A GOOD GAEM
>>
>>335754818
>Dude what if we had really shitty music
never post again
>>
File: 1448940013742.png (192 KB, 501x445) Image search: [Google]
1448940013742.png
192 KB, 501x445
>>335778298
>Despite all the shit FF13 got, it was objectively an improvement over the garbage that was 12.

why bother typing all those words when you invalidate your post in the first line
>>
>>335779231
It is true though
>>
>>335759186
Well isn't this vague as fuck.
>A ragtag bunch of misfits
Every large cast can be considered "a ragtag bunch of misfits"
>While he falls sin love with a girl in his party
This is also so common in RPGs in general that it's pointless pointing it out
>Is joined by someone who could be removed without affecting the story
Another thing that happens in almost every game or even story with a large cast, also >counts optional characters
>A ninja
>Ninja job
>Watches a member of his party die permanently
Seeing what's in those boxes it should be "at least one member of the cast is permanently killed", but it would reveal how vague and pointless this observation is
>By using an ancient magical power or macguffin
Another thing that is so vague that every game in the series has it.
>>
>>335778298
>sales speak louder than opinions.
Yes, and they also say dumber things.
>>
>>335778298
you dun fucked up anon.
>>
File: Reading.jpg (79 KB, 389x493) Image search: [Google]
Reading.jpg
79 KB, 389x493
>>335754818
>>
>>335754818
>Penelo's theme
>Shitty
>>
>>335781004
>replying to bait
calm the fuck down autist
>>
FF12 is great fun to play. You can argue technicalities like the plot but the gameplay is the good stuffs. I would actually much rather play 12 than 1-10 and its shitty random battles
>>
>>335778298
>Yes FF13 had cringeworthy and anime stereotype characters. However, these characters actually interacted with each other and formed bonds reminiscent to some of the older Final Fantasies. FF12's ragtag bunch of misfits never seemed to really know each other even after the freaking 8 hours worth of cutscenes.

This.
>>
>>335778298
>Despite all the shit FF13 got, it was objectively an improvement over the garbage that was 12.

Except in terms of gameplay, world design, side content, customization, party AI, I could go on.

FFXIII's story was certainly more melodramatic and character driven, but it had its own huge set of problems.
>>
>>335778298

Also, FFXIII had higher sales because it was on multiple platforms, and because FFXII came at the end of the PS2's lifespan.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.