[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can it be so fucking good and so fucking awful at the same
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: 4044_1_94baf4068f.jpg (64 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
4044_1_94baf4068f.jpg
64 KB, 800x450
How can it be so fucking good and so fucking awful at the same time?
Mgs5 thread.
Please use spoilers because I am only on mission 21
>>
It's awful because it's not what you wanted.
It's good because everything except the story and open world is great
>>
>>335729539

I don't know. I somewhat like the fact that its open world. Gives more space to play around on.

Closed spaces end up feeling constraining in my opinion. The more choices you have the more interesting the game is.
>>
Ground Zeroes was much better, although I didn't like the presentation or story in either. Probably partly due to not playing PW. V had the odd brilliant section. Sneaking into some of the outposts or whatever was great but everything else was shit. Honestly the worst prologue I've ever seen.
>>
>so fucking good
Ripping off PowerPyx's actions to get instant S-ranks with no personal effort.

>so fucking awful
Development times, eliminate the enemy tank #9,999, that final mission with Quiet if you didn't develop the target seeking missiles.
>>
>>335729763
It would have benefited from just having larger zones. There is far too much walking and empty space.
>>
>Not what I wanted but the gameplay is ok
>10 hours in and I'm contemplating killing myself

>Constant title cards
>5 minute helicopter "intro" at the beginning and ending of every mission that you can't skip
>No story
>Gameplay gets extremely repetitive very quickly

It's the only MGS game I didn't finish on launch day.
>>
>>335729168
What's so bad about it? It was way more enjoyable than MGS2, specially story-wise. And MGS had one of the best gameplays back then.

It was also much, much better than Peace Walker. It's basically Peace Walker done right.
>>
>>335730660
the helicopter sections only takes 1 minute

what a drama queen
>>
>>335731156
Because it has a shitty mission system and base management I think 0 story or payoff. A mgs game where you play a bad ass secret agent with no goal is fucking stupid. It's like watching James Bond drink coffee for 2 hours and calling it a film.
>>
>>335731156
>way more enjoyable than MGS2
Off yourself.
>>
I never had a problem with the game, its an 8/10 for me.
>>
File: Joost_Fever.jpg (975 KB, 3000x1080) Image search: [Google]
Joost_Fever.jpg
975 KB, 3000x1080
Hideo had cute girls on his mind instead of game development
>>
>>335729168
> How can it be so fucking good and so fucking awful at the same time?

Because you're holding out for that Chapter 3 DLC that will add missions and wrap up the loose ends TPP in its current form has.
>>
>>335729168
It was super fun and engaging, but I don't think I'm ever going to go back and replay it like I regularly replay all the other MGS games.
>>
>>335731278
I don't think you realize how long 1 minute really is when it's played before and after every mission. Not too mention the actual loading times and running around the base (which no one wants to fucking do).

I haven't beaten the game, but I know there's over 60 missions I believe. Most of which are replayable, but let's just assume you play every mission once. That's over one hour of doing fucking nothing. Artificial loading screens. Just so Kojima can shove his name in your face.

I went from loving him, to hoping he gets cancer. Fuck Kojima.
>>
The gameplay is the same modern 3rd person shooter shit that's been around for years now. The story is shit and the twist at the end is fucking retarded. It's so fucking unsatisfying and basically makes all you did in the game mean nothing because "lol ur da medic from ground zeroes with kiefer sutherland's voice u not actually the boss lol xDD" Literally the worst ending in human history. Kojima is a fucking hack, through and through.
>>
>>335732015
upgrade your chopper retard
>>
File: Rike.webm (160 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
Rike.webm
160 KB, 720x404
i riked it, but the level deisng sucked. i liked the big bases that were in the previous MGS's
>>
>>335732101
>the game gets good 20 hours in! I swear!
>>
>>335729950
>needing to watch some garbage guide on how to get good so you can get your s ranks
>needing homing rockets for a quiet exit
anon are you a casual?
>>
>>335732450
autism
>>
>>335729950
>fuck yeah I ripped that shit too
>will I lose HER again if I replay THAT mission?
>>
>>335729168
It was so fucking good because it had the fundamentals down right. Great controls, excellent optimization and some solid game mechanics. Where it completely failed was in design where it resembled a generic Far Cry clone than a MGS.
>>
>>335731156
>peace walker was better in every way except graphically
>multiplayer was a blast
>the phantom pain was a gigantic literal pain in almost every way
>literally no memorable missions or story
>my hopes and dreams became phantoms with that game
>>
>>335732015
I honestly think konami should have waited at least another year to release it, then everything could have potentially been fixed, I know Kojima could have made a much better game. What we got was absolute garbage
>Kojima just wanted dat quiet ass
>>
>>335732678
>honestly they should have made peace walker 2, just straight up classic metal gear gameplay and it would've been FUCKING PERFECT
>>
>>335733024
Kojima stopped giving a fuck half way through production because of the bad blood with Konami. I am sure there was much more that he would have done had he actually giving a shit.
>>
>>335731761
I'm stage 4 in denial.
>>
>>335729168
I loved the gameplay and music, but hated the story, plot holes and new characters.

Also, I feel like animals were only added to make the map seem less desolate.
>>
Primary problem is pic related
>>
>>335729168
It's because what is there is great. The skeleton of gameplay is extremely strong. If they just made improvements to the AI and make it so your actions in one outpost had effects on the whole area, gameplay alone would be 10/10. In that respect, you can pump out 90 hours from playing through the main story and just get lost in it.

Problem overall goes back to the game not being properly connected together. Characters have their own storylines and such that you see happen. MGSV definitely has a story, boss battles, infiltration, and all the other deets that would make for a remarkable enough Metal Gear game, but it's just not all pieced together. Each segment presents itself one by one, but it's how everything ties together is what made Metal Gear great. Without the weaving and the sense of direction, moments don't have the punch they'd use to. People understandably get lost because it's just not all together. All we're left with is the skeleton. While it's amazing, it just feels unfinished despite being solid in its own right.

MGSV as a game is practically all there. If they just linked it together, it all would have been great. Instead, that quality is missing and Kojimbles is getting off by saying "that's the phantom pain :^)." It's still worth the play and a recommendation in my book, but not as a final masterpiece in any sense.
>>
>How can it be so fucking good and so fucking awful at the same time?
It had decent gameplay, but Venom was actually the medic and the story is literally unfinished. Also 0 variety in the extra ops and shit. Lame as hell.
>>
You're not the real big boss you're playing as the medic from gz quiet dies after she speaks to save your life
>>
>>335732608
Yes. If you redo the normal version of her original mission seven times (if you patched to the most recent version) you can get her back as a buddy.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.