[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
wii u VS dreamcast
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8
File: wiiu_vs_dreamcast.png (72 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
wiiu_vs_dreamcast.png
72 KB, 800x600
which was better?
>>
dreamcast had skies of arcadia, which means it instantly wins
>>
People will say dreamcast because early death and nostalgia.
>>
^ Dreamcast because muh Seyga
>>
Wii U doesn't even have an exclusive Zelda game or the supposed "proper" 3D Mario game they said they would make after 3D World. How sad.
>>
>>335728767
& it had way better games

like, aside from tropical freeze what other wii u games were extraordinarily good? everything was just kinda safe, and bland. nobody will remember the wii u in 20 years, whereas people will still be talking about the dreamcast
>>
dreamcast
>>
>>335728657

Dreamcast shook up the industry.

The Wii-U blended in.
>>
>>335728657
I like both. Ask me in 10 years.
>>
Owner of a Dreamcast here. PSO, Crazy Taxi, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, the list goes on. The Dreamcast is at least Xbox 360 tier on the console chart. If it had lasted, it might even become Gamecube tier.
>>
>>335729043
My man, I love the dreamcast but no millenial will even know about it in 20 years.

Our hobby will be dead by then.
>>
Dreamcast,
I still play mine to this day
>>
oh cmon dreamcast flopped but it was 5 times the console wii u was. it wasnt a flop because of the hardware
>>
You can literally burn CDs and they will work on the Dreamcast. It's a /v/ heaven

Wii U isn't even worth burning CDs one because there's nothing to burn. Save the coal
>>
Dreamcast, it had way better games than the Wii U and it didn't deserve to flop.
>>
>>335729504
> it wasnt a flop because of the hardware

It pretty much was considering it failed to sell as well as the WiiU despite the fact they were selling it for $50 and you could easily pirate any game.

In every regard the WiiU trumped the Dreamcast while maintaining a significantly higher price tag for hardware and software.
>>
They are surprisingly similar consoles. Besides the early death, they're also the only two consoles with screens on the controller. And they're both white. And they were both cucked by Sony
>>
>>335728657
dreamcast
thank you based naomi
>>
File: 1429482053335.jpg (533 KB, 810x1080) Image search: [Google]
1429482053335.jpg
533 KB, 810x1080
Doreamcasto
>>
>>335729825
Nope. It flopped because it had a direct competitor. The Playstation. Nintendo has no direct competition because it's a soccermom console. A console for kiddies.
>>
Dreamcast

Actually innovated in both hardware and a rush of new ips and arcade ports. The wii u just has some casual shovelware made for autists and retards and has had a sad existence since its launch. Dreamcast basically supernova'd and was better for it
>>
>>335729890
>draw a girl
>put dreamcast symbols on her clothes
>It's me dreamcast-chan!!
No. Die and Burn in hell
>>
Dreamcast.

Wii u has some okay games on it but c'mon, it's obvious the screen controller wasn't utilized enough or properly.
>>
The Dreamcast actually had third party support.
>>
>>335729890
season 2 when
>>
>>335730276
But she is literally Dreamcast funded and paid for by SEGA.
She even has internet connectivity.
>>
>>335730706
ignore him, anon. he's just a bitter faggot.
>>
File: 1460002858700.jpg (156 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
1460002858700.jpg
156 KB, 960x544
>>335730656
Sega made her
>>335730656
THIS
>>
>>335728657
Dreamcast. Super EZ question.
>>
I'm pretty sure the Dreamcast had more than 5 good games unlike the wiiu
>>
>>335730868
>Sega made her
>>335730568
>>
>>335730656
this is gay btw
>>
>>335728725
this
>>
>>335731327
no u
>>
>>335731492
i'm not gay. girl consoles is gay though.
>>
dreamcast had a shit ton of great exclusives during its 3 years
>>
>>335728725
Wii U have Xenoblade X, even.
>>
>>335728657
In terms of tech and advancement, of course the wiiu.

Terms of console in respect to time?
Dreamcast for sure.

I've owned both. And I played worms world party (not even a great game) for more hours than my WiiU has been on.

Wish I could say the same about xbone, but it's always watching.
>>
Dreamcast easy
>better controller
>tons of exclusives and interesting games
>easy as fuck to mod
>was leading the pack in technology at its release

Ironically they were both their respective companies death rattles.
>>
>>335730950

Then you'd be wrong. The DC's good games are:
>Soul Calibur
>Crazy Taxi
>Omikron
>Chu Chu Rocket

The rest don't stand the test of time or in cases like the Sonic games are fundamentally bad that's why people don't name them in these kind of thread. The WiiU has way more better games, some of them are derivative but they still hold strong in design, from what I've played.

>Super Mario 3D World
>Mario Kart 8
>Legend of Zelda Windwaker :HD
>Bayonetta 2
>New Super Mario Bros U
>Pikmin 3
>Splatoon
>Rayman Legends
>Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
>Wonderful 101
>Nintendoland
>Shovel Knight
>Super Smash Bros 4 WiiU
>Pushmo World
>Wonderful 101
>>
>>335728657
>seriously comparing the two
>we already know Nintendo has an upcoming console
>nintendo isn't eating itself internally
>even comparing the Wii U to the Saturn wouldn't make sense

I want underages to leave
>>
>>335731936
>The rest don't stand the test of time
>the tons of fighting games for dreamcast dont stand the test of time

kill yourself dumbass
>>
>>335731936
I'm not even going to bother listing out Dreamcast games because I know you'd ignore it or pretend it's shit to make yourself feel good. But you're objectively wrong and Nintendoland and Pushmo are shovelware-tier and grasping at straws to pad the Wii U list, which is mostly unremarkable games
>>
wii u obviously you fucking autist scum. not only does it have wii u games but it also has the entire wii library to choose from. plus wii is easily modded to run gamecube and emulators. can play games on game pad too. I loved he dreamcast but it's obviously the fucking wii u.

what did the dreamcast really have besides shenmue and a couple of other sega games? wwf royal rumble? ready 2 rumble boxing (later came out on ps2)? crazy taxi? The motorbike game? that's it really. yeah you could emulate genesis games but the wii u can do that.
>>
Dreamcast by far

>Powerstone
>Sonic Adventure 2
>Street Fighter: Third Strike
>Virtual-On
>Shenmue
>Soul Calibur
>MvC 2
and I'm sure there are plenty I'm leaving out

comapred to
>W101
Tropical Freeze
>...

Yeah, Dreamcast by far. Even the N64 was better
>>
File: Your Goggles, sir.png (129 KB, 400x293) Image search: [Google]
Your Goggles, sir.png
129 KB, 400x293
>>335732750
>the tons of fighting games for dreamcast dont stand the test of time

They don't, otherwise like Super Smash Bros Melee they'd still be played today.
>>
Easily the Dreamcast. It was ahead of it's time and had a ton of great cutting edge games while it was alive.

The Wii U was a mistake.
>>
>>335733175
0/10
>>
>>335733175
Smash is played because its a meme, not because its good.
>>
File: lolwat.gif (2 MB, 240x232) Image search: [Google]
lolwat.gif
2 MB, 240x232
>>335733352
>Smash is played because its a meme, not because its good.
>>
>>335733175
that maybe true but we are comparing the wii u and the dreamcast
>>
>>335733175
But anon, Street Fighter III is available on the Dreamcast

....And it's way more competitive than Melee too!
>>
Controller wise? WiiU
GameWise? Id say DC has the edge
>>
>>335728657
Dreamcast. The Wii U was okay.
>>
>>335728657

Dreamcast. It had strong first/third party support, a great line up for the time it was out, and it actually tried to have games.
>>
Dreamcast had nothing but multiplats and ports.
>inb4 long list of 2 hour long garbage that everyone would call "indieshit" now
>>
>>335731936
>Crazy Taxi
This came out on literally every other system. Does nostalgia just delude people into thinking every game they played as a kid was exclusive?
>>
>>335736265
kill yourself my man
>>
>>335736793
Never heard of that one. Probably came out everywhere else too.
>>
>>335729213
Nice multiplats.
>>
File: 1456647946225.jpg (53 KB, 907x718) Image search: [Google]
1456647946225.jpg
53 KB, 907x718
>>335736946
Probably did. Except on Wii U
>>
>>335732750
>Sonic Adventure 2
But that one sucked.
>>
If you asked me a year and a bit ago, I would have said Dreamcast. Xenoblade X, Pokkén, and #FE have made the Wii U my favorite home console ever.
>>
So can anyone actually list the "so many" actual exclusives the Dreamcast had?
>>
>>335728657
dreamcast was ports
Wii u was no ports

Hard choice.
At least burning discs for Dreamcast was viable.
I remember borrowing my old brothers friends dreamcast back in the day and he gave me an entire CD album of burned games.

It was the first time I'd ever seen the potential for abusing piracy and I loved it.
Oddly enough, my strongest memory of dreamcast was thinking "Man, this tennis game looks fucking amazing, but the sound of the ball getting hit sounds like shit, it sounds more real in Mario Tennis"

And that little tamagotchi thing embedded in the controller which i'm still not sure what it was even useful for.
>>
>>335729096
>Knocked Sega out of the console market
Yeah, you could say that.
>>
Literally what are people going to look back to in the Wii U library? Like Bayonetta 2 that's it.
>>
>>335728657
DC probably. Oddly high quality to shit ratio.

>>335729825
DC sold pretty well, at least for the first couple of months where it sold stupid well before tapering off. Sega's mistakes came to bite them in the ass so they couldn't keep it going financially and the PS2 was "coming real soon, so wait for this instead of getting a DC."
That's entirely what happened. PS2 was around the corner, Sega couldn't push their system harder because they were bleeding money from the Saturn's failure.

Piracy also hurt, but not to the extent people expect (namely, you NEEDED a broadband connection because you couldn't read the discs on a PC drive, nor copy them without ripping, it's not like how PS1 piracy was mostly "rent game, burn copies, return game").

>>335736498
CT on Dreamcast is as close to arcade perfect as can be. As in, almost identical hardware perfect.
later versions generally fuck with the handling, the textures, the music, or all of the above

IIRC, the PS2/GC versions are actually fine though.

>>335733175
>implying they aren't
shit, until the 360 version released, MvC2 was almost strictly played on DC instead of PS2

>>335737051
All of them are multiplats entirely because Sega left the hardware business, but still wanted to sell the games. If the DC didn't die, absolutely none of those games would be multiplats, full stop.
>>
>>335731582
You're gay if you don't want to jack into your Dreamcast every day and night.
>>
>The console that killed Sega vs modern, popular game console.

Gee, I wonder...
>>
>>335737381
The exclusives argument is stupid because the Wii U is brand-new and the Dreamcast is 20 years old. So obviously someone has an advantage
>>
>>335728657
Dreamcast
>>
>>335737816
Dont worry, you'll soon find out that Wii U was Nintendo's Saturn
>>
>>335732349
>Nintendo Land
>shovelware-tier

Sure a couple of the minigames are weak, but for the most part it's actually a pretty decent game. It's certainly better than Nintendo's other party games on the system at least.
>>
>Super Mario 3D World
OK
>Mario Kart 8
Not even the best Mario Kart.
>Legend of Zelda Windwaker :HD
Remake.
>Bayonetta 2
Best game on the platform.
>New Super Mario Bros U
>Pikmin 3
Not the best in the series.
>Splatoon
Splatoon 2 on NX will be better.
>Rayman Legends
lol
>Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
it's ok
>Wonderful 101
shit
>Nintendoland
are you serious
>Shovel Knight
what even is this?
>Super Smash Bros 4 WiiU
not even the second best smash
>Pushmo World
whatever
>Wonderful 101
you already said this
>>
>>335732750
Compared to
>Xenoblade X
>W101
>Tropical Dong
>Splatoon
>Smash
>Mario Kart 8
>3D World
>Bayo 2
>>
>>335737974
Does that mean the NX is going to be Dreamcast-tier? Hot diggity.
>>
File: 1294851945105.gif (647 KB, 188x253) Image search: [Google]
1294851945105.gif
647 KB, 188x253
>>335737816

>Wii U
>modern
>popular
>>
>>335737816
The many addons to the Genesis/Mega Drive are what really killed Sega, but they still screwed up with the marketing for the Dreamcast as well. If they had waited a couple years later for DVD drives to be cheaper to put into their system, the Dreamcast could have been more successful, but we'll never truly know since it would have had to compete more closely with the PS2, as well.
>>
>>335729043
I liked Yoshi Wooly World more than DCKTF to be honest.
>>
>>335737974
Wii U doesn't have enough anime games to be the Saturn, or enough games in general.
>>
>>335738203
>Nintendo's Dreamcast is the Vita
what
>>
>>335738097
It probably will. Desperate times call for desperate measures. They'll pull out everything they can. That doesn't mean NX will be a success either
>>
>>335738315
It wouldn't be their Dreamcast if it were successful.
>>
>>335728657
I'd say they both did their best for the kind of game they focus on.
- Dreamcast was for arcade games
- Wii U is more platformers and action games
Personally I prefer the Wii U more because I really like platformers. But anons who like fighting game will prefer the Dreamcast.
>>
>>335738413
Pretty much.
The point is it has to be better than Wii U. They're literally done otherwise
The same way Dreamcast had to pull out hardware that was way ahead of everyone at the time
>>
Dreamcast's library of gems was mostly ports from arcade machines and i dont know how people doesnt realize. At least wiiU's good stuff are actual exclusives.
>>
>>335739189
The only good Wii U game is Pokkén, an arcade port.
>>
>>335728657
Dreamcast had games
Wii U still doesn't
>>
>>335739295
Save for pokken, i guess.
>>
>>335731936
>multiplat Indies
>hd remasters
>multiplats
>ignoring a ton of games because"t-they don't hold up well"

Man aren't wiiu users the saddest thing ever?
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.