[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do game critics hate Sonic but proclaim games like Last of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 37
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 750x391) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 750x391
Why do game critics hate Sonic but proclaim games like Last of Us, Gone Home, and Undertale as masterpieces?
>>
>Sonic games were never good
But that's wrong.

S3&K is one of the best games ever made.
>>
Because they don't know what they're talking about.
>>
They're too young to have played the good Sonic games, which are so fucking good that 20 years later they still have people invested in the character even despite a mountain of shit.
>>
Sonic Unleashed had its moments
Colors was really fucking good
Gens was good
LW also had its moments
Boom 3ds was fine
>>
>>335725930
>boom 3ds was fine
if you didn't pay for it, maybe

that shit isn't worth a dollar
>>
Because it's the popular thing to do and they can brush off all counterpoints by mocking them by going "lmao stupid autistic sonic fans here they come lololol"
>>
>>335725528
Because like most critics they've never played the games they don't like.
>>
>to think I used to like this game! Thanks for showing me the light [e-celeb]!
>>
>>335725528
Either it's
>"it's not mature like call of duty"
Or
>"HAHAHA LOLOL ONLY AUTISTIC PEOPLE ENJOY CREATIVE FRANCHISES lol gonna go cyber bully that more intelligent kid in my class because he likes so,etching I don't"
>>
too videogamey
>>
Because those games are better than Sonic.
>>
is the appeal of the old games based on speed? the level designs are cool but you move either too quickly to appreciate it or too slowly. the puzzle-based levels are usually more frustrating than they are fun. the only thing i even like about the old games are their soundtracks, which are some of the best game soundtracks ever made
>>
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 1066x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 1066x750
>>335726851
How?
>>
File: autism.png (565 KB, 877x974) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
565 KB, 877x974
Why does Sonic attract so much autism? The only other fanbase that comes close is Pokemon and Smash
>>
>>335726927
The old games were momentum-based
>>
>>335726851
You prefer movies over video games?
>>
>>335725528

It's shit, but it's not pretentious shit. I don't know what kind of moron thinks it was never good though.
>>
Either an ultra-contrarian or he's too young to have played games in the 90's.
>>
>>335726996
>forgetting bronies, undertale, fnaf, and homestuck
>>
>>335726927
You weren't supposed to speed through a whole level.

The speed was a reward for traversing a puzzle section, and acts as a gateway to the next puzzle area.

Speed-Puzzle-Speed-Puzzle-Speed.

If you COULD speed through a whole level, it's because you've played the level enough to know how. It's a reward for playing the game.

Speed is a reward.
>>
>>335725528
>critics
>paid for opinions

ignore them and play what you like. these faggots are insufferable.
>>
Because sonic games are shit and your thread is bait.
>>
>>335725528
I used to love my sonic games on my gamegear. Sonic Chaos was my jam.
>>
>>335727292
provide evidence.

it's easy to say Sonic is shit, but these critics don't use reason. they just don't like what clearly sold.
>>
/v/ is just as cancer, they eat up third-person AAA dogshit like Witcher, Dark Souls and Metal Gear Solid.

Different community, different cancer.
>>
>>335726927

Goin' fast was something that you did after memorizing the level. You weren't expected to blaze through the level on a blind run, and I don't know how you even could.
>>
>>335727292
Why don't you like them?
>>

This nigga needs to play the ones on the MegaDrive
>>
Because their job depends on writing garbage that most people would agree with. The general opinion game is that modern sonic games suck ass and casuals eat up shit like gone home, hence they agree with it. It's the same reason why politics are such a joke where your argument doesn't matter, all that matters is how popular you are and you gain popularity by telling people what they want to hear.
>>
>>335725613
This.
>>
>>335727547
He needs to play Colours and Generations too.

I bet this reviewer only played Sonic 06 for attention, then claimed the series in general was bad.
>>
>>335727598
>modern sonic games suck ass
Colors and Generations were great and Unleashed was decent
>>
>>liking things i don't like is cancer

sure devaluing a powerful word there.
>>
>>335727721
Are you having fun only quoting certain parts of my post you disagree with?
>>
>>335727694
Adventure games were fine too
>>
>>335727234
>speed is a reward

more like a liability when you frame it as you did. you're only proving the idiot critics right.
>>
>>335727079
I prefer video games over hold-right-to-win simulators.
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 500x1324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 500x1324
>>335727840
>hold right-to-win memer
>gone home and last of us
>video games
>>
>>335725613
>S3&K is one of the best games ever made.
>Introduced more characters
>Introduced storylines
It was one of the worst of the classics.
>>
>>335727801
Trying to get someone to play a game I love but hasn't aged well today is kind of hard. They get one glance and they say it's shit.

I have tried to get them to play Adventure 1, and they refuse to play Adventure 2.
>>
because sonic is the JUST of video game franchises. it had it all. it was literally as big as mario. and then it just made worse and worse games until people hated it and hating themselves for trusting it each time
>>
>>335727919
>hating Knuckles
Why
>>
>>335727840
Gee underage kid, I'm so sorry you like to play movies
>>
>>335725528
Can't speak to Gone Home, but...

The Last of Us had some pretty engaging combat at times, and the online mode was pretty fucking beast. It was very, very satisfying to get the drop on an enemy player and take them out hard.

Undertale is hailed as an indie darling because it had a memorable story underpinned by a fairly unique battle system for a game which, at first glance, looks like low-rent Earthbound.

The problem with Sonic is that the games have the budget and experience to produce quality games, but the games themselves are so fucking hit and miss that it's appalling, especially since Sonic as a franchise has a simple design document: Make a 3D platformer with some speedy sections.

Even the "good" Sonic games released in the past decade have had areas which were pretty fucking rough, and the low hanging fruit like Sonic '06 or Sonic Boom just highlight the nadirs the series can reach, quality wise.

Making a Sonic game is a god-damned cinch: Make arenas of Tony Hawk-style quarter-pipes, half-pipes, and platforms, and give Sonic something to do in that area: Enemies to fight, switches to flip, etc.

Link that arena to the next with a section where Sonic is moving hella fast, with some light obstacle dodging and optional paths with bonus rings/lives/powerups if the player manages to nail the right grinding rail/alternate tunnel/ring dash.

Finish by getting to the next arena, or throw in a boss fight.

Repeat for thirty levels or so, maybe with a few quirky 2D sections as a throwback to OG Sonic. Make sure it's not a buggy piece of shit.

DONE.
>>
>>335726996
>Blue
>Can go fast
>Quills that look like edgy spiky hair
>Acts like he's cool
Literally built for Autism.
>>
>>335725528
Because hating Sonic and pretending his games were never good has become a meme for quite some time.

Also I like The Last of Us, but the rest of the games you mentioned can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>335727840
>>335727904
>>335728005
They're both shit. There, that's better.
>>
>>335727920
Adventure 1 & 2 haven't aged too badly for me. Maybe most of the cutscenes, but otherwise it's the same thing from 1999
>>
>>335727993
>states things that have only improved sonic on the genesis
>is the worst of the classics

Sonic 1 was more to do with balls and Sonic 2 had cheapshot level design. 3 took what works and made Sonic a household name
>>
File: image.jpg (322 KB, 1534x2151) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
322 KB, 1534x2151
>>335728018
>give Sonic something to do in that area: Enemies to fight, switches to flip, etc

Oh they did that. It didn't turn out well.
>>
Because sonic is a confused franchise that consistently fails to understand its strengths and iterates poorly, constantly adding new mechanics that don't work instead of refining what does. Generations may be a recent exception.

Side note though is that tlou is rated highly because it had a "complex story" by having you play a morally gray main character with a movie like ending, so game critics get to role play as the movie critic they never got the call back after the interview to be. Game is bland and the story was shit.
>>
>>335728203
>Make sure it's not a buggy piece of shit.

They forgot an important step.
>>
>>335728232
>Side note though is that tlou is rated highly because it had a "complex story" by having you play a morally gray main character with a movie like ending, so game critics get to role play as the movie critic they never got the call back after the interview to be.
top kek
>>
I'd argue that the best sonic games are better than Undertale and Last of Us could even hope to be.
>>
>>335728175
Replying to the wrong guy?
>>
>>335726927
Contrary to popular belief, sonic has never been about going fast in the old games. Unless you spend dozens or hundreds of hours replaying the same level to memorize everything thats coming up, youll be going very slow most of the time. Just tip toeing ahead so you dont get fucked up or run into a wall.

The fastest games in the series are Sonic Advance 2, Rush and Rush Adventure, and Unleashed. If you want speed, these are the games to play.
>>
File: 1450136572766.png (636 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1450136572766.png
636 KB, 1000x1000
>>335726927
>the level designs are cool but you move either too quickly to appreciate it
But the level design is what's allowing you to go fast.
>>
I'll never understand the hype around Undertale.

>killing stuff is bad and makes you a bad person
>monsters always attack and try to kill you for no reason
>"muh forgiveness" argument from the fanbase
>you kill everyone and the game is forever tainted by that MC look-a-like demon
>game is about forgiveness but you're not forgiven for your mistakes

All the morality and friendship thing makes no fucking sense whatsoever.
>>
>>335725528
Sonic is too video gamey.
Oh, and they're very jaded from the amount of bad sequels Sonic has gotten over the years. Even Sega barely cares about Sonic anymore. They see it as a franchise only foreigners care about.
>>
>Last of Us has 10/10
>Undertale has 10/10
>Gone Home has 9.5/10

>Sonic Generations has 8.5/10
>Sonic Colors has 8.5/10
>Sonic Unleashed has 4.5/10 (!!!)

Fuck IGN. Even the megadrive games don't have Last of Us and Undertales scores, hell not even Gone Homes scores.
>>
>>335729159
Sonic has always been made for foreigners you brain dead weeb trash
>>
>>335725528
1. It's Japanese. Even if it panders to foreigners, westerners will become a bit questioning of it initially based simply on this fact. Japan does the same thing, of course, but a few franchises of ours such as CoD have actually managed to do very well for foreign titles.
2. It has animal characters. Not the case for all reviewers, of course, but now a lot of people, particularly younger guys, can't separate animal characters from instantly imagining furry stuff. Look at how people on /v/ discuss things like StarFox now and you'll get the idea of how a lot of people feel about anthropomorphic creatures in games now.
3. The fans. Even though Sonic is mostly a single player franchise, it's the kind of series known for having a terrible fanbase, which is enough to annoy a lot of people. Chris Chan has become a celebrity in his own right and now it seems that Sonic is instantly associated with autism, sort of like the previous point I made.
>>
>>335728340
Not sure if kek at game critic dig or disimissal of tlou
>>
>>335729532
sonic unleashed is fucking rancid garbage
>>
>>335729843
>japanese
Critics seem to be fine with most Japanese game franchises although they do like those triple a titles like the shitloads of batman multiplats and cinematic experiences
>animal characters
Undertale
>fanbase
Undertale
>>
>>335725528
Everyone liked colors and generations though. Sold well too.
>>
>>335729778
And that's why interest in Sonic waned so much in Japan. It used to be at least somewhat popular there, but once it reached critical mass in the west, Sega stopped caring and saw it as a cash in franchise for getting American money only. Consider the fact that Sonic X did incredibly badly in Japan, to the point that the third season didn't even air there and was DVD only in Japan and that Project X Zone doesn't even mention Sonic, even though it brings in plenty of obscure Sega characters that the Japanese like.
>>
>Why do game critics hate Sonic
Because indignant people give them clicks

>but proclaim games like Last of Us, Gone Home, and Undertale as masterpieces
Because they're paid too and receive masturbatory hipster praise respectively
>>
>>335730057
It was probably in the 7/10 range
Not even close to garbage
The day time stages make up for the werehog stages
>>
>>335730040
The game critic dig
>>
>>335730057
lol

>>335730184
>unleashed: 5 mil
>colors: almost 2 mil
>generations: 2 mil

Unleashed was the last sonic that sold well
>>
File: 1449185073195.jpg (38 KB, 400x285) Image search: [Google]
1449185073195.jpg
38 KB, 400x285
>>335730410
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B90frJAHoB8

Hell yea
>>
>>335730446
Why the fuck did Unleashed sell that much
>>
>>335726631
It seems like this happens more for the Sonic Adventure games than any other game.
>>
>>335730603
Because it was the last sonic with effort and it shows. Everything since has been cheap watered down garbage with an abundance of 2D and the speed has been removed completely.
>>
>>335730697
Because of Gamegrumps
>>
>>335730603
Because they released a Wii and PS2 version, which despite sucking compared to the 360 and PS3 version it sold well to poor people and normies.
>>
>>335731002
How come the xbox 360 and ps3 versions were rated lower by ign?
>>
>>335725528
>game critique

The only critique you need is yourself, stop reading shitty sites friend.
>>
File: image.png (9 KB, 117x139) Image search: [Google]
image.png
9 KB, 117x139
Daily reminder that most Sonic games are _____________fun.
>>
>>335730180
What? I've noticed critics getting tired of the "Japanese design philosophy" more and more as of late. The only Japanese franchise I can think of that are liked on the same level that reviewers like Assassins' Creed and other triple A games are Metal Gear Solid and Dark Souls. Take note of how critical they've become of even Final Fantasy or Mario games as of late (usually for good reason, but that's neither hear nor there, given their usual standards.)
As far as the Undertale thing goes, reviewers seem a lot more forgiving of indie games. Putting aside the amount of animal characters in it, the game uses vector graphic, while other indie games also use cheaper assets and have more simplistic artstyles. If Naughty Dog or Treyarch produced such a game with the kind of budgets they usually have access to, reviewers would be much more critical sense they usually expect much more from them. I think the same applies with animal characters unless there's a certain degree of nostalgia involved. For example, I don't think a Bugs Bunny game would be considered furry.

Also, weren't most reviews of Undertale done when it was still relatively new and people hadn't had time complain about the fans yet? For comparison, I didn't start seeing complaints about the Five Nights at Freddy's fanbase until after the second or third game started getting reviewed.
>>
File: 1431477054226.png (29 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1431477054226.png
29 KB, 633x758
>>335731002
>Mfw finding out the 360/PS3 version of Unleashed was totally different compared to the Wii

I actually enjoyed it on the Wii and then I see a demo of Unleashed at Best Buy for PS3 and was blown away. Sadly didn't own a PS3 at the time but I really wanted it then.
>>
>>335731172
No idea but its bizarre. WiiS2 Unleashed is one of the worst games I've ever played but Unleashed HD is one of the best Sonic games. There is not one thing that the WiiS2 version has over the HD one. Day stages, night stages, control, leveling up, exploration, hubs, graphics, final boss. Its all fucking inferior
>>
>>335725528
My question is why did people start to say the older classic Sonic games suck just because the new games actually do suck?

They just suck by proximity now?
>>
>>335731172
Cause IGN is retarded. The game is a solid 6 or 7 if you're being nice. The Wii
/PS2 versions deserved a 4. Makes no fucking sense.
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 972x744) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 972x744
>Sonic games are...not...good. They've never been good, They never will be good, there's no alternate universe where it's possible for Sonic to be good! For the love of God, stop buying Sonic games.
The real autism reveals itself.
>>
>>335727904
>THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM
>>
>>335731379
Oh and i forgot, the WiiS2 version is fucking missing mazuri and empire city. Adabat and spagonia, the games most technically impressive levels, are completely neutered to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZgQcjsA5Ng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtl05_8l2UA

I mean seriously what the FUCK
>>
>>335728134
SA2's cutscenes are fine, outside of I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS.
SA1 is hilarious to watch, though. Did they seriously have that much trouble with walk cycles?
>>
>>335731926
Sonic felt really stiff in unleashed.
>>
File: image.jpg (153 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153 KB, 640x448
>>335732178
>outside of I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS
that was the best one though
>>
I don't like saying shit like this but I honestly think hating on sonic is just a meme nowadays.

Like, I won't defend sonic 06. that game is putrid ass. And I won't defend games I personally think are terrible too like sonic heroes, sonic labyrinth, sonic r (though the soundtrack is great) etc.

but it's not a franchise that's been going for 25 years because it's always terrible. It's not even just coasting off old fame. Titles like the Adventure series have fans and detractors but are generally at least thought to be okay. Unleashed may have been half bad but it was still half good. Generations and Colors are generally agreed to be good games, and I mean personally I liked lost world at least.

Sonic is no mario for sure, but aside from a "making money" perspective it's never tried to be one either. except for lost world I guess, I think people saying it's just a sonic version of SMG are overblowing it but they aren't 100% wrong either
>>
>>335732221
There are a few parts where its a problem but since most of the game youre going fast, its not a huge deal. The WiiS2 sonic felt both stiff and slippery though and his model felt like it never was properly in touch with the world around him.
>>
>>335732436
It's like hating on Donald Trump or Roman Reigns. People do it because it's the cool thing to do.
>>
>Sonic games have never been good
Sonic CD and Generations are FUN
>>
>>335732287
It's entertaining, sure. But it's still a glaring error.
Along with I'LL USE YOU- CHAOS CONTROL
>>
File: image.jpg (358 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
358 KB, 1024x768
>>335733034
Unintentional entertainment is still entertainment. Just look at the plane scene from DKR.
>>
>>335732808

>Roman Reigns

I think a far better video game analogy for him is WoW doing vanilla servers honestly.
>>
>>335731493
It's just one of those cases where the franchise has put out so many terrible installments that people forgot whatever good games that were released in the past.
>>
>>335728876
The thing is, with the 3d games, the fact you could see ahead of you meant that at least you had the potental to react to stuff your first time through and to go fast wiithout being punished
>>
>>335733203
LOOK AT ALL THOSE EGGMAN'S ROBOTS
>>
>>335733203
Man this screenshot reminds me why i love sonic heroes. Felt like a big old adventure with tons of pitfalls but you needed your other homies to watch your back at all times so you can make it safe. I wish they made another one
>>
>>335733034
>>335732287
THIS IS THE ULTIMATE-
>>
>>335733232
The analogy works in the sense that it's pretty much a meme to hate on him.
>>
>The Last of Us

you know while we're on the subject of games people hate on just to hate on, let's talk about you guys and TLOU.

I don't think the game's some kind of citizen kane of gaming, but the story's alright. More importantly the gameplay is pretty damn good too. I think it does a good job of selling that atmosphere of "shit's fucked, have fun trying to scavenge just to get by." Granted it feels like it's split up way too much by walky talky sections but still, I honestly think /v/ undersells it just as hard as people elsewhere oversell it.
>>
>ellipsis are a staple in their writing

How to spot an idiot blogger who has no business being paid to write.

While there are a few exceptions (i.e. when you want the other party to "fill in the blank"), trailing off is generally not an articulate behavior. That still holds true when you represent it written form.
>>
>>335725528
Because they are able to finish those games at the maximum efficiency level possible whereas good gameplay takes months or years to master.

Since they have no desire to actually spend much time playing a game, their preference and bias moves towards games that take the least effort, both from the designer's standpoint and the player's.
>>
>>335733391
DISAPPEAR
>>
>>335725528
this probably has something to do with said critics growing up in the times when the newest sonic games were already declared shit
they just don't know any better
>>
>>335733312
I cant tell whether youre attacking or defending the 2D or 3D games. If youre just straight up saying the 3D games by their very nature allow you to see whats approaching and react to it, then yes I agree. It takes a lot of time to memorize and do decently at the old games. Every time I offer my nephew to play through sonic 2 or 3, he always gets bored halfway through and wants to go back to adventure/heroes/unleashed/colors/generations because he feels like he can go faster and properly react to whats coming up. I dont blame him, unless you waste a lot of time getting good, the old sonics will suck
>>
You know, I hear a lot about Sonic Heroes having a bunch of glitches, but I really only ran into 3 while playing through it. Does it depend on the version? I was playing the Gamecube version.
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 1097x749) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 1097x749
>>335733542
>the gameplay is pretty damn good
>>
>>335733687
Yes, the PS2 version is the funky one.
>>
>>335725528
I played one I thought was fun. You could play as the fat purple guy, and unlock others. Their was rail riding and stuff.

All the other sonic games I have every played were terrible though.

Maybe I was going through something at the time. I dont think any sonic games have ever gotten more than a "Okay" in revviews.
>>
>>335733687
The gamecube and xbox are the best versions of heroes. PS2 and PC are more glitchy. The game really doesnt have a lot of glitches OR camera issues unless you deliberately go into odd areas or spin the camera around behind objects to fuck it up on purpose

What people seem to do with sonic is deliberately force the game to act weirdly and hunt for glitches and then base the game off of that. A clean regular playthrough will not yield as many glitches as one has been led to believe
>>
>>335733501
I'll give you that a lot of people shit on him just to shit on him but I think a lot of the hate also comes from people being really fucking tired of WWE/Blizzard telling them what they want and telling them they're wrong when they say "no, I'd rather have this actually."

>>335733687

From what I recall GC is the best one but honestly my problem was less glitches and more that it was just a boring slog with way too many pits to fall into. Bottomless pits, in excess like Sonic Heroes had, isn't a challenge it's a crutch.
>>
>>335733847
cont. I think it was for the Original Xbox.
Sonic Heroes?

Anyone else like it?
>>
>>335733635
I'm saying that it's an inherent advantage the 3d games have and the 2d games are near fundamentally flawed due to the absence of it.

I say "almost" because freedom planet was able to fix it due to a variety of changes.
>>
>>335725528
>they've never been good
Millennial detected
>>
File: 1436036534766.jpg (21 KB, 313x235) Image search: [Google]
1436036534766.jpg
21 KB, 313x235
No other franchise has such a mountain of terrible games as Sonic while also being as recognized.

OG Sonic was ok at best. Everything from his redesign onwards is pure shit, and pretty much all the spinoffs even before the redesign were also shit (ie. Sonic R, Sonic Fighters).
The one reason it didn't die over the years is the autism it brought and the braindead "fans" that buy every single shitty game they make.

The smug fucker deserves none of the fame it has.
>>
>>335733903
>mfw seeing Egoraptor's retarded rant on Sonic Adventure
Half of his complaints didn't even make sense. Why would he try to sequence break in a Sonic game?
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 350x263
>>335734291
>OG Sonic was ok at best
>autism
Narwhal bacons at midnight amirite
>>
>>335734096
If it was on xbox, then it was sonic heroes. You played in a team of 3 right? Thats heroes

>>335734190
Then yes you're right and I agree with that. Freedom planet was more like a sonic inspired action game than actually trying to replicate the 2D sonics. I like the 2D in unleashed/colors/generations/lost world (although by generations, it was overstaying its welcome) because the camera was more dynamic and it angled over the important things you needed to see. The games being wide screen also helped matters I assume. But the camera was always aiming or getting ready to point at what you NEEDED to see or what the crescendo of the scene was (going through a loop, zooming past a hallway/palace and so on). Its hard to say but if you load up unleashed or generations, you'll see what I mean. The camera keeps moving with you rather than just stay static
>>
>>335733635
>unless you waste a lot of time getting good, the old sonics will suck

Reminds me of the RLM Previously Recorded episode where Jack and Rich review the very first Sonic game and they're just terrible at it, and then they proceed to say the game is objectively bad.

It's frustrating knowing a game is actually good if you take your time and become skilled at it, but then people who suck at the game just trash it up and down.
>>
Lets see if the people in this thread have any taste
http://www.strawpoll.me/10068442
>>
>>335734565

to be fair the first sonic is pretty weak compared to the other genesis ones but yeah saying it's shit is just wrong.
>>
>>335734565
Sonic 1 is actually a pretty bad game. Its ok and was needed to start the series, but theres no reason to play it over the other ones which are upgrades in every way. Similar to super mario bros
>>
>>335734860
>Sonic 1 is actually a pretty bad game
Lol
>>
>>335734564
Yep it was heroes then.
Thought it was great, but I was a child.

If I replayed it today I'd probably review it closer to the mean critic score.

Ive never liked any other sonic game.
>>
>>335734860
>pretty bad game
>It's ok
?
>>
>>335734453
certainly better than heroes, that game was garbo
>>
>>335725528
>Cringe - the review
>>
>>335735182
Music and art direction was 10/10 though
>>
>>335734291
I love how they try to get serious at times, playful at others.

>Sonic and the secret rings
>Sonic the shit Knight

>Sonic Colors
>Sonic Shuffle

Trying to find your genre isnt working. Just stop making sonic games.
>>
>>335735364
>>Sonic and the shit knight
Wow totally got them there
>>
>>335735458
Thanks.

Another gripe is the Sonic Series is literally on rails.
>>
I enjoy nearly every sonic game and no one can change my mind. Don't listen to reviewers play the game yourself and form your own opinions.
>>
File: image.jpg (146 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146 KB, 1334x750
http://www.strawpoll.me/10068473
>>
>>335734993
Thats what a lot of people would probably sadly say but outside of some pacing problems heroes is pretty fun. If you rush through each teams story you will have problems with the game but the base game- team sonic has some fun levels full of variety, action, platforming, and good music
>>
Outside of Sonic Boom and Sonic 2006, sonic games vary from D+ to B+ so this really just sounds like some gamejourno cuck riding le meme train
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 973x749) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 973x749
>mfw gone homo got 10/10
>>
>>335735678
Good for you m8

A lot of above average to good sonic games have been unfairly trashed for years because of memers, plain bad journalism coverage, and youtube cancer. Sega has been spinning sonic all over the block ever since generations and its just confusing. From nostalgia fueled anniversary to mario galaxy with sonic to a spinoff game and cartoon. Sonic from 1999-2009 at least had the same idea and were consistent tone wise
>>
>>335737321
Sonic is Brendan Fraser: the video game franchise
>>
>>335737616
Not even close
>>
File: image.jpg (169 KB, 820x614) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169 KB, 820x614
>>335725528
Because Generations and Colors were like 7/10 and every other Sonic game since the Wii came out has been utter garbage.

Also
>Undertale is an example of a bad game
>universally adored on /v/ until it became popular
It was treated just like LISA. The only difference is that LISA is still fairly niche.
>>
>>335737846
Actually, that would be Tony Hawk.
>>
>>335725528
Is that why Colors and Generations received plenty of praise? Maybe because they're actually good Sonic games?
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 980x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 980x750
>>335737878
>Undertale
>universally adored on /v/
>ever
>>
>>335737905
Tony hawk, assassins creed, call of duty, metal gear solid...theres been plenty of other series that have went to shit
>>
>>335738050
Everyone loved it until hating it became a meme.
>>
>>335738050
>I've been on /v/ for less than six months
>>
>>335738272
I still don't think it deserves as much praise as it got.
>10/10
>>
>>335738362
I took a break for most of 2015 and didn't even know about Undertale until much later. I think the reason people here hate it is because of how overhyped it is, just like Gone Home and Last of Us
>>
>>335738082
Metal Gear Solid doesn't fit in with those others.
>>
>>335732808
Yeah, just like its cool to hate Bernie here, right? So he's actually good.
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 557x391) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 557x391
>>
>>335738853
We were talking about what normies think it's cool to hate. We're a different place completely. Trump and Sonic are loved here and Roman has his loyal fans on /asp/. Normies love shit like Undertale, Sanders, and Dean Ambrose for example.
>>
The only people who like sonic are the people who started when they were children. Nobody picked up their first sonic game as an adult and thought it was anything but garbage.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 280x358) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 280x358
>>335739251
>>
>>335739000
I heard "normies" don't like jumping off cliffs. I think you know what comes next.
>>
>>335725528
Because of Sega not realizing that being innovative in the Sonic series is like being innovative in the Call of Duty series. Sonic goes fast, fights robots and beats up gingers. That's all he's supposed to do. That's what people want and Sega just doesn't realize that anymore.

I still liked Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes though. They were fun and in my opinion the way you could or should do 3D Sonic games.
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg (185 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg
185 KB, 1000x1000
>STILL this much butthurt over TLOU and Gone Home
You babies are the gift that keeps on giving.
>>
File: sonic-3d-blast-screenshot.png (19 KB, 640x468) Image search: [Google]
sonic-3d-blast-screenshot.png
19 KB, 640x468
Seeing how they have so much trouble making a good 3D Sonic, should they try their hands at making a Super Mario 3D World analogue? Basically like a new generation Sonic 3D Blast.
>>
>>335738626
Come on man..the psp games and 5 suck. The series shouldve ended with mgs4.
>>
>>335739385
>he doesn't like cliffdiving
>>
>actual game like Undertale lumped in with a movie and a walking sim
Look guys, I understand that it's hip to hate on Undertale, but this shit has to stop.
>>
File: 1386019455505.jpg (183 KB, 800x666) Image search: [Google]
1386019455505.jpg
183 KB, 800x666
The games are nothing but trash but the series has spawned some cute characters
>>
>>335725528
So this is where the "Sonic was never good" meme came from
>>
>>335739974
>the games are nothing but trash
Sonic genesis trilogy and CD
Adventure 1 & 2
Advance Series
Rush series
Colors & Generations
>>
>>335725528
because they don't actually play video games
>>
>>335740069
Unleashed & Generations*
>>
>>335740104
Unleashed & Colors & Generations*
There, everybody wins!
>>
>>335739918
>willingly hurling yourself to a potential cold and painful death via drowning and pointy boulders
>>
>>335739874
>the psp games and 5 suck
>Portable Ops
No argument there.
>Peace Walker
A fun portable Metal Gear with lots of mission variety. Everything PoOps should've been. Also had the first meaningful appearence of the best character in the series: Kazuhira Miller.
>V: Ground Zeroes
Some of the best level design in the entire series. Even if it was a little low on content, I spent countless hours toying with the weapons, mechanics, and missions.
>V: The Phantom Pain
While low on variety in its missions, I still enjoyed the gameplay, and it has some of my favorite moments in the entire series, with Huey's Trial and Shining Lights being the biggest highlights.
>>
File: 1460292541697.jpg (22 KB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
1460292541697.jpg
22 KB, 480x300
>>335730057
Day stages were great, along with the soundtrack of the game itself. However there is the case of the werehog sections. They were underwhelming but not completely horrible garbage. At least for me that is.
>>
>>335740412
>being a pussy ass bitch
also that analysis with jumping off cliffs and liking sonic and disliking undertale was kinda lame
>>
>>335740243
If we can toss colors for heroes we'll be good family

Colors is the worst modern game easily. What do people see in that heaping piece of shit? It was promised to be Unleashed day stages and it was 2D 2D 2D with slow platforming and powerup spamming
>>
>>335740562
That wasn't me. I just think coasteering is stupid.
>>
>>335738050
>>335736713
>>335731857
Tak a shit. Dib best girl.
>>
Did anyone here play advance 3? I really liked that one even though it was really hard. Are the other advance games good?
>>
>>335741386
Hell yes. I 100% advance 1 2 and 3. Great games
>>
>>335741386
I like 2, though most consider it the worst since it's closest to modern sonic with its many pitfalls. Others like 1 because it's closer to classic sonic.
>>
>>335741386
3 is my favorite because of how cheery it is and the zones are pretty equally divided between speed and platforming. I also like the team mechanic, using amy for a jump boost or tails to fly just by holding the trigger was neat stuff. That ending with chaos angel and the whole gemerl tie in was also fucking great story wise. 2 is my second favorite because of how fast and speed oriented it is. Also has some fun bosses, special stages, and super sonic.

Advance 1 is the worst of them, really short, does nothing new, start up speed is slow, bosses suck. Later levels are better but it starts off bad. Id say 3 = 2 > 1
>>
>>335741573
>>335741606
Will start with 1, then 2. Thanks!
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 725x687) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 725x687
>>335741357
How could you say that to this face?
>>
>>335741386
Advance 1 is really good, a lot of people consider it the best in the advance series.
>>
File: 1459801526632s.jpg (3 KB, 92x125) Image search: [Google]
1459801526632s.jpg
3 KB, 92x125
>>335741717
No problem anon
>>
>>335741573
>>335741606
Will start with 1, then 2. Thanks!
>>
>>335741386
I played the shit out of Advance 1.
The Tiny Chao Garden was a great way to encourage replaying.
>>
>>335727904
>Genesis on LCD TV
disgusting
>>
>>335739874

please be trolling. MGSV and peace walker are top-tier.
>>
>>335739251
I owned a Super Nintendo on the 90s and never cared about Sega or Sonic back then. Played Sonic 2 for the first time on the Ultimate Genesis Collection and thought it was pretty good, so were 1 and 3.
>>
>>335744195
And then I assume you checked the rest of the series and found out it was mostly hot garbage
>>
>>335744405
(you)
>>
>>335744506
I'm here tho
>>
>>335744635
There (you) are!
>>
>>335730446
>2 million sales
>didn't sell well
Ok Square
>>
>>335725528
Because video game critics are cucks
I thought we all figured that out by now

also sauce on the pic?
>>
File: you.png (29 KB, 1024x329) Image search: [Google]
you.png
29 KB, 1024x329
>>335744685
baka senpai
>>
>>335725528
Older Sonic games were actually good
But newer ones really aren't
>>
>>335725528
Sonic is surprisingly hard to get into for a mascot game, even the originals. I remember listening to a retronauts podcast a long time ago about the Sonic games and it was surprising how they had no clue what they were talking about. Their opinion in regards to Sonic 1 was basically "Green Hill is great but everything else is trash that they only put in because you can't make a game around running". It's like listening to my Mom's opinion on why Star Wars sucks (it's because she hates Jeff Goldblum who she thinks is Leonard Nimoy who she thinks is in Star Wars).

>>335726996
A lot of the time when people say they play games for the story what they really mean is that they play games that have cool characters and settings that inspire their imagination. Back in the day, a large number of people who were "Sonic fans" didn't even play the games but they still liked the character and the concept of the games enough to sperg out over it and write fan-fics and buy the comics. Heck, most old school Sega fans didn't even like Sonic that much and when you went to Sonic fan groups it was all furries.

That's part of the reason Sonic is sometimes hard for people to get into I think. There's Sonic the game series and Sonic the concept and they don't match up right. The old games are playground-style platformers but a lot of people think of them as being about running and end up playing them wrong. Like someone who thinks Pokemon is an electronic sport or that Animal Crossing is about collecting furniture.
>>
>>335725528
Game critics don't deserve to spout their awful opinions and get paid for them.
this isn't even a recent thing, game reviewers have been shit since even the 80s, they write sensational shit so people read whatever mag they're selling or site they want clicks for

Why is Sonic hated? It's easy. Sonic games haven't been particularly good for years, and it's easy to think of games as being worse and worse when the new games released got worse and worse (compare what people thought of SA2 in 2001, 2003, and 2006, and they're more of a reflection on how bad Sonic games had gotten instead of SA2 being increasingly awful, even for a game with as many problems as it has).

It's a meme, in the actual "spreading idea" sense, and the fact that we've gone 16 years with hilariously variable and generally bad Sonic games is reinforcing it.
Sonic hasn't been solidly great since Sonic and Knuckles (which is a real 9/10 game, my only real gripes with it are Sandopolis 2 and the screen lock right before the Lava Reef 2 boss), and became the laughingstock of the industry with Sonic '06, a game so appallingly unfinished that it's hard to believe a team like Sonic Team could have actually released it.
>>
Don't really agree with the critic in OP's pic but I don't really agree with these people hating on TLoU, Gone Home etc. either. I'm not gonna pretend I was there Sonic's 'hey day' but playing them now there's still a great satisfaction in nailing a level. Personally, I think it goes back to why I love video games on the first place, despite being a fan of many other entertainment mediums, there's nothing quite so engaging or tense as controlling a character and experiencing what they are vicariously through them. Granted, TLoU was massively cinematic, but what's so bad about that? It's taking the atmosphere established with movies and allowing you that extra level of immersion along with great feeling controls and gameplay. Gone Home would have maybe been a good short film, but once again I feel like it's about being the character experiencing the emotion, it personally helps me feel closer and more open to what the developers intended me to feel.
>>
>>335745843
A lot of people try to play Sonic as if it was a faster Mario, and since it's not meant to be played that way, they get BTFO and think it's the game's fault.
>>
>>335746470
There is no point to sonic if youre not going fast. Sonic at low speeds is a slippery disjointed mess and it makes you feel stupid because everything surrounding the character is speed related. Just play mario or donkey kong at that point for an actual good platformer and not be tricked into playing something theyre not going to play.
>>
>>335746161
the problem is that the last of us was so focused on being cinematic that it forgot it was a game
Gone Home isn't even a game
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 1023x776) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 1023x776
>>335746901
Or maybe try to get good at the game and get momentum?
>>
>>335746901
Of course, but it's not as simple as just holding right and Sonic goes fast and all you have to do is jump here and there.

I can understand why someone would dislike Sonic 1 since a lot of the stages are actually slow-paced, even if you can use Sonic's speed and momentum to make some shortcuts. But Sonic 2 and 3, aside from shit stages like Metropolis, Marble Garden and Sandopolis, are generally fast-paced.
>>
>>335747074
Maybe if the levels were designed to have momentum based challenges thatd be a valid argument. To bad theyre all regular platformers with some slopes here and there but youre given a slippery retard to control

Someone said this in the sonic thread last night. Rolling down a hill as a ball and gaining speed isnt as entertaining as you think it is
>>
>>335741680
see, I can't possible condone this
Advance 1 is pretty plain, but the stage design is rock solid, really classic stuff. It's pretty much a remake of most of Sonic 2, and arguably better, since it doesn't taper off near the middle like Sonic 2 does
2's fun. It's a rollercoaster. Has some really fucking bad object placement, but it's otherwise satisfying to play, all the stages flow really well.
3 has miserable stage design -- it throws you into spikes and enemies even more than Advance 2, it's full of blind jumps, it throws the player into bottomless pits with impunity.
The tag mechanic is fun though, and the stages do seem built around it somewhat (it feels kind of wrong making the obnoxiously large skips using Tails as your tag partner allows, Advance 3 stages are really vertical). Awesome music and nice visuals though, it's just a pain in the dick to play.

>>335733635
Sega really just needed to polish up SA2 Sonic a bit and they'd have an amazing game on their hands. A game that's entirely SA2 Sonic stages.
the only real changes would be
>map each action to its own button, so bounce attack and light dash are on different keys -- killed me in Metal Harbor too many times
>hell, ditch most of the upgrades, the stages are a chore without them, they're designed around having them, even City Escape
>remove somersault -- if you really want to fix SA1's hilariously broken "let's go up sheer cliffs" spindash, just give it a pause before it activates when you hold it down, don't put the worlds least useful move there
>maybe homing attack reticle, since it's hard to judge
>make rail switching less retarded

That's it. Hell, leave in the fact that using the homing attack for movement exists, don't just stop the player like Sega started doing from Unleashed on. Don't bounce the player straight up like Heroes onward does on hit, it breaks flow.
Rail grinding needs to be an active experience like in SA2, which discourages its use as filler for actual level design.
>>
>>335746901
I don't think you understand what that anon was saying. I don't think you understand the Sonic series either since you sound like you've never played it.
Do you understand anything?
>>
>>335746930
Seems to me that they were actually both games due to the whole controlling a character, but in any case it doesn't seem right to say one thing is a game and another isn't, the world would be a boring place if there was no subjectivity.
>>
>>335728281
They forgot fun too. Even if you remove the glitches, Boom is an incredibly boring game.
>>
>>335740580
it's an okay game
it's still better than Heroes, which speaks more on Heroes being kind of lame than Colors being terribly great
It got praise because it was better than Sonic 4 by a long shot, had only Sonic in it, and was pretty much just a bog standard platforming game. No other character gimmicks or anything.

But yeah, pretty much 5 of the 6 acts in each stage are pure filler. Starlight Carnival is pure garbage from start to end. Planet Wisp is a chore. Sweet Mountain is pretty good, but since it's so early, it's kind of easy and basic.
Aquarium Park is probably the best zone in the game, and it's just okay.
>>
>>335747278
>Someone said this in the sonic thread last night. Rolling down a hill as a ball and gaining speed isnt as entertaining as you think it is
So you're quoting a shitposter's opinion and stating it as fact?
I guess moving left and right and jumping isn't as fun as you think either.
That statement combined with
>Maybe if the levels were designed to have momentum based challenges thatd be a valid argument
Makes me believe you've never actually played any sonic game before. All of the sonic games past 1 reward you for going fast and keeping momentum by letting you access alternate paths of a stage. Adventure 1&2 does this, it's even been done as recently as Generations.
>>
File: image.jpg (207 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
207 KB, 1334x750
>>335747278
You mean this faggot?
>>
>>335747762
They really dont, not as much as you think

>>335747810
No. But every sonic thread now has 2 constants: the one guy who always post the wemb of sonic 1 vs lost world, and the guy who loves unleashed to death.
>>
>>335729532
4.5 would be an appropriate score if 5/10 actually meant average.
>>
>>335731359
I know that feel bro

Wii version was still good though
>>
>>335728021
this
>>
>>335725528
>Sonc was never good
But..
>Sonic
>Sonic 2
>Sonic 3
>Sonic and Knuckles
>S&K + 1-3
>Sonic CD
>Sonic Adventure
>Sonic Adventure 2
>Sonic Colors
>Sonic Generations
>>
>>335730185
>and that Project X Zone doesn't even mention Sonic, even though it brings in plenty of obscure Sega characters that the Japanese like.
wasn't because they aren't allowed to put cartoonish characters anymore, hence the lack of pacman or klonoa in pxz1 and 2
>>
Sonic games are actual games, that take actual skill to beat
>>
>>335749664
the worst bit is that Sonic games are all really easy

This isn't even based on memorization or anything either, the ring system is deliberately designed to allow someone who's bad to not get fucked and die out of nowhere just because they were going fast.
The stages are designed enough that for the most part, this isn't going to happen unless you made a wild jump into the yonder while going fast -- when there are enemies around after a fast section, the game staggers the terrain so you can actually react to them if you don't know what's up, but not so much that if you do know what's ahead/react to it ahead of time, you don't lose flow.
>>
>>335731359
>>335748481
you guys had a much better final boss battle, that's for sure
>>
>>335750558
sonic games are based on trial and error, and replaying them over and over again

whiche critics don't like doing, therefore they don't like sonic games
>>
>>335750558
Of course it's easy to barely get by most of the stages, you can say that for any mascot series.
It's harder to actually perform well on a sonic stage and that's one of the things that makes going fast, keeping your momentum and using your speed to your advantage so satisfying.
>>
>>335750825
>whiche critics don't like doing
most of that is because critics have fuck-all time to play a game before they give their review

which is retarded in its own way, but hey
>>
>>335751541
>>most of that is because critics have fuck-all time to play a game before they give their review
that's why you can't trust reviews. they don't play games like normal people play games, making their impressions meaningless
>>
File: image.jpg (400 KB, 842x948) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
400 KB, 842x948
Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.