[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Today's the day, time to see how Bethesda ruined DOOM.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: doomroe1.gif (45 KB, 680x546) Image search: [Google]
doomroe1.gif
45 KB, 680x546
Today's the day, time to see how Bethesda ruined DOOM.

Single Player Stream. STARTING NOW

https://www.twitch DOT tv/Bethesda

Get in here fuckers and start shitposting in their chat.
>>
>controller
Stopped watching there.
>>
>>335707831
I-it looks like a steam controller to me? So At least the footage should be PC?
>>
>>335707892
It's a PS4 controller. Note the obtrusive light bar.
>>
>>335707979
Never actually saw Xbone/PS4

>Obnoxious coloured "interactable panels"
>Still the hugely obnoxious colours for glory kills
>>
>chainsaw is literally a "FILL MY AMMO AND HP UP, SENPAI!" tool
>all this waiting and cinematic hint shit, for LOOKING A FUCKING YELLOW KEY TO A YELLOW DOOR
>PS4 controller
jesus christ, Bethfucks, it's not THAT hard!
>>
>>335707645
literally what I thought it would be which is average.
extremely average.
aka halos single player without the good AI.
dude I LOVE watering down video games for mass markets! Stock market!
>>
>>335708972
The look at the map seems like it won't be a total straight line.
It looks like it will be a PS2 era style shooter in terms of being linear, but environments are big enough for combat.
>>
opened up and saw upgrade points and thats all I need to see
>>
File: 1460603763968.jpg (45 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1460603763968.jpg
45 KB, 400x400
>Must have Twitch and Facebook synced to make comments.

Looks like Uncle 'Thesder wants to be able to hunt down people who rightfully call this Halo at a later date. Either way, they know their core audience. Almost makes me wonder why they even bothered slapping Doom's name on this.
>>
>Beth-fucks being so sensitive to criticism, they outright ban chat commenters
>all while their obvious shillers are only repeating "so cool!" and "I'm sooo hyped!!!"
top fucking kek!
day 365 pirate, at best.
>>
>say hey whats with this codex shit
>you are banned from bethesda for 500 seconds

AHAHAHAH
>>
>>335710201
>Almost makes me wonder why they even bothered slapping Doom's name on this.

Because Doom is a well-known brand.
>>
>>335707645
why was my message instantly deleted? what's offensive about it.
>honestly, this game looks as amusing as saints row 4. like it's the same quality level. it has a lot of features and mildly interesting enemies but there's no interesting analog concepts and thus no emergent gameplay to actually make it a truly classic game. emergent gameplay is the core of any high quality game, this game lacks it. also, designing for thumbstucks is awful since they are by far the worst analog input ever created.
>>
>>335711276
because they scan through the comments and censor any criticism.
>>
>>335711079
You are right and I will never stop being mad about why.
>>
>>335711276
What do you mean by emergent gameplay anon?
>>
Every <message deleted> = censorship of valid criticism = lost customer.

I just witnessed a message that did go through get deleted a second later.
>>
this is weird man
>>
Im surprised how reminiscent the level design is of the old games. But seriously, FUCK THAT FUCKING WAYPOINT.

Also, the aggroing seem pathetic. Even though theres several enemies in a room at a time, it looks like only 2 or 3 of them are attacking you at once
>>
He just confirmed that on PC the only way to switch weapons is through the use of the weapon wheel or mouse scroll.
Looks like no number keys.
>>
INVULNERABILITY DURING GLORY-KILLS CONFIRMED!

WEAPON WHEEL INSTEAD OF QUICK-KEYS FOR WEAPONS, ON PC, CONFIRMED!

CHAINSAW INSTA-KILLS ANYTHING AND SPEWS LOOT EVERYWHERE, CONFIRMED!

GAME TO BE SHIT = CONFIRMED!
>>
>>335711603
Emergent gameplay is when extremely simple systems which have a wide variety of choices and values come together to form a "symphony" of gameplay mechanics.
>>335711361
this explains it pretty well. In doom, it expresses itself as physics and gunnery etc.
Honestly, that post explains the problem with modern game design as a whole.
Starsector is a very good example of emergent gameplay using the flux system (which is an analog system).
>>
>>335712813
seriously wtf, such odd choices between trying to be original to the game but then adding random crap seemingly everywhere.
>>
>>335711079
don't be naive. That implies there was a creative spark before the name Doom got drug up.
>>
>>335713024
>That implies there was a creative spark before the name Doom got drug up.

How so?
>>
>>335712892
I've played that back when it was called starfarer, and got buthurt when I realized that they were going to settle for one system.
>>
>>335712943
the guy playing has been stuck in the SAME FUCKING ROOM for 5 minutes, doing nothing but arena fighting.

Also he just insta-kill chainsawed a Baron Of Hell, and got tons of HP and ammo. The weapon's literally a quick supply refreshment tool.
>>
This game looks boring as shit
>>
>>335713164
It implies it was named doom after its initial inception. The goal from the very beginning was to sell what Brutal mod was giving people for years at 50$ a pop.
>>
>secret Silver DoomGuy collectibles, instead of just having weapons and items hidden in hard to find places
BETHESDAAAAA
>>
>>335713315
yup they're done, they've gotten sick of it.
>>
That demo felt a little underwhelming but I'm pretty excited to see how players can push the map making system.
>>
>>335713214
Flux is pure genius, I don't know what your issue is with it.
Nothing feels more like you're rerouting power to the subsystems for a HUGE burst attack.
>>
>>335713504
>4 player limit
>enemy and general asset limit
>indoor only
>no custom models, textures or sounds
it's gonna be shit, tacked on crap.
>>
>>335707831
>"muh" PC master race
>>
>>335713604
they could've put trackballs on the controller and I would've had considerably less issue with it.
thumbsticks are the worst thing ever created.
>>
File: 1461630568133.jpg (23 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
1461630568133.jpg
23 KB, 600x549
>Make him feel like a hero
>>
>>335713339
>It implies it was named doom after its initial inception.

It implies no thought was given to what "Doom" represents beyond "easy marketing!", whether they decided to make a Halo clone before or after they decided they needed something to slap the Doom name onto is irrelevant.

>The goal from the very beginning was to sell what Brutal mod was giving people for years at 50$ a pop.

If only, Brutal Doom is still Doom under all the blood decals and shit. D44M looks too much like a generic Halo clone to be inspired by it.
>>
>>335713604
Oh right I forgot that DOOM was a milestone in console gaming
>>
File: 1369978441756.gif (187 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1369978441756.gif
187 KB, 200x200
>>335713734
>LITERALLY a master chief comparison in the faceless hero thing
>>
>>335713579
That must have been after my time, because nothing like that ever existed. At best, it was a competent top down shooter with some haphazard, but very functional RTT concepts, and absolutely perfect levels of customization. It really lent itself to making ships do what you want them to with control groups that can be activated individually, unlike in space pirates and zombies, which it made look like a rookie project by comparison. It was just very unfortunate that they compromised on scale so significantly, and it made me lose direct interest in development. I was expecting to interact with an entire world, not 2-3 lifeless trade hubs with very binary, permanent states of diplomacy, and a place to stash my crap. I don't know where it is now, but it was very sad to watch them set the sights of that project so low when the people they're running circles around seem to accomplish that scale fine.
>>
>>335713957
Halo is symptomatic of shitty game design. It's just floaty controls with melee buttons. The goal from the beginning though was to give people what stupid fucking masses absorb about doom through osmosis. Its got demons with blood in it, its associated with Metallica, and its got a super shotgun, whatever that is.
>>
anyone have a screenshot of the options menu?
>>
>Past broadcasts isn't loading so I can't watch what I missed

To be fair I'm probably not missing much, but still.
>>
>>335713579
>335713579
Now I realize you were talking about the energy system, and that's actually pretty standard, although they did it very competently. Easily the best top down shooter I ever played, and I don't say things like that lightly.
>>
>>335713987
Everything we do is. Don't you remember them 2012 crysis on 360 graphics?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.