[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you think they're gonna fuck it up?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
File: nintendo_nx.jpg (35 KB, 1424x800) Image search: [Google]
nintendo_nx.jpg
35 KB, 1424x800
How do you think they're gonna fuck it up?
>>
I think its going to be interesting. I hope they dont. I hope they can finally redeem themselves.
>>
>>335699845
>ARM
>>
By releasing another 3D metroid seriously they make like two of them every year it's fuck ridiculous
>>
No backwards compatibility

That's the easiest way to tank the console, you've got hardcore Nintendo fans who have spent tons on the eShop who may find that their purchases are worthless if they 'upgrade'
>>
They already did, not at e3
>>
>>335699845
By releasing it in March 2017
>>
>>335701407
Wii U owners are not "hardcore Nintendo fans" they're a bunch of drones that bought into Nintendo's worst console ever. They deserve this fate, in fact they deserve worse than this.
>>
>>335699845
They can't afford top fuck it up, what did announced today was a great plan for their long term, they'll gladly take a hit on their bottom line, because they can afford to, and tip-toe around the PS4K and XBONE.5 announcements and the VR shit and properly announce the NX when it all dies down near the end of 2016.
>>
>>335701407
It's pretty much confirmed already. Why else would Zelda release on both WiiU and NX?
>>
File: 1314555.png (9 KB, 500x538) Image search: [Google]
1314555.png
9 KB, 500x538
>>335699845
Another expensive gimmick controller that'll cause the exact same fundamental problems as the Wii U, namely:
- Minimal 3rd party developer support
- Cripples silicon due to standard BOM economics
- Keeps them from even making it a cheap console

Even if they execute perfectly though they'll be facing significant headwinds this gen. They're releasing off cycle now, and they also have to deal with architecture transition because PowerPC is really played out at this point. Microsoft and Sony got that out of the way this gen and it was painful, breaking BC and all that, but it had to be done and now they're over the hill. With the PS5/Xboo they can simply go with a more powerful x86 setup easily and maintain perfect BC with the PS4/Xbone. Their path is straight forward. Whereas Nintendo will have to make this the first time they bite the bullet whether x86 or ARM.

I wish them luck but I'm not sure they understand the changing market well enough to navigate it or have learned the lessons they needed to from the last few gens as it relates to the next 10 years.
>>
>>335699845
pretty much every way possible
>>
>>335699845
By attempting to be a first generation hybrid product
>>
>>335699845
Why is it called the NX?
>>
>>335699845
motion controls
>>
>>335701407
>No backwards compatibility
>That's the easiest way to tank the console
lol. Get out of the internet echo chamber, normal people consider this a mildly positive bullet point but in no way a deal breaker if the ultimate offering for new stuff is attractive.
>>
>>335701407
Pretty sure people still bought a PS3 and PS4 despite no backwards compatability
>>
>>335701407
Backwards compatibility only matters if the previous console is still relevant. It drives people to the new instead of the old. When the old console is dead and irrelevant, like Wii U, it doesn't matter. There would be no more sales for it regardless, so the sales can't be driven to the new console instead of the old.

---

I think they will have lame games. They may be entries in major franchises, but they will bring no hype. Mario used to be a big deal, now it's just "oh a Mario game". Even with multiple major mainline games from major franchises, it may still be disappointing if they do it lame. Say a 3D Land sequel Mario, Federation Force sequel Metroid, awful graphics Kirby, Amiibo based F-Zero. Just make all the games seem lackluster, have none of them have that little extra.
>>
Expect a half ass product with half ass games while they focus on phone games
>>
>>335699845

Underpowered
>>
>>335702413
>Implying the only people still buying Nintendo consoles aren't fanboys and children.
>>
>>335699845
No EA, Activision, and Ubisoft support.
>>
>>335701407
Fuck off. The Wii was the first one to even have BC, and few people actually bought it for the BC.

Besides, it having BC means it also has to still use the PowerPC architecture, which is fucking ancient and isn't even being worked on anymore by it's own creators. That, or it have to include that architecture inside the console, significantly increasing it's price, or attempt to emulate it like the 360 is doing, with varying results.

Kimishima has also said it wants to move away from the Wii brand altogether. Playing Wii games with Wiimotes on the NX is a surefire way to continue to use it as a crutch.
>>
>>335699845
>motion controls
>second screen

Pick both.
>>
>>335702345
because when you see it, you'll turn N to the power of X degrees and walk away
>>
>>335699845
Metroid Other M 2! Instead of THE BABY we'll get THE TWINS! Nintendo does it again! Also more monologging everyone loves that part.
>>
By not showing it at E3
>>
>>335702553
That is because they knew a game would come out for the PS4 at least once per 6 months. You don't have that guarantee with Nintendy. Also the PS3 and PS4 serve as much more than a video game console to some households
>>
>>335700969
Don't you mean mario
>>
>>335702898
I didn't imply that though. I thought this discussion was about ways Nintendo might still have that happen, rather then what they should do which is make a console that DOESN'T just appeal to fanboys and children. That's hardly an impossibility even if their corporate structure might make it hard for them. Sony was utterly fucked up too and turned their shit around.
>>
>>335703110
>That is because they knew a game would come out for the PS4 at least once per 6 months.
Uh, who exactly thinks like that?
>>
>>335699845
Motion control/Strange Controller/Under-powered hardware/No launch titles
>>
>>335702898
>the only people still buying Nintendo consoles aren't fanboys and moms.

fix'd, kids don't want a kiddy console with barney (that orange dinosaur) and lazy town, they want gta and cod, only moms buy nintendo consoles for their kids
>>
>>335703312
It's the truth. We are not only thinking exclusives here. People often complain about no exclusives, as if that's literally no games. But PS4 gets multiplats. It does get plenty of games. Just because they also are avaible on Xbone doesn't mean they aren't games for PS4, and you will need a console (most people hate gaming on PC) regardless. Meanwhile, Nintendo LITERALLY has no games. Not "no exclusives", as is the case for PS4, but no games at all.
>>
>>335703613
>Meanwhile, Nintendo LITERALLY has no games.
what are you trying to accomplish at this point
>>
>>335703613
I agree

People forget that multiplats are important, people are always saying that PS4 has no games and all that shit but it get several multiplat games and some exclusives

Nintendo Wii U only gets exclusives each 5 or 6 months
>>
>>335703312
You never know when Nintendo will lose the impetus for care for their console when their their handheld becomes successful.
>>
>>335699845
Only one word which is guaranteed to be said stleast 3 times during the presentation of it:

Mobile.
>>
File: 1271136387472.png (21 KB, 494x400) Image search: [Google]
1271136387472.png
21 KB, 494x400
>>335703613
It's actually a little odd this generation too when it comes to the ps4 vs the bone and multiplats because the ps4 objectively and easily plays them better, full stop. In previous gens there either wasn't much difference in power, or the console architectures were so drastically different that it wasn't really possible to do direct equivalence in middleware, or one was so utterly dominating it was irrelevant.

Here though you've basically got two basic x86 PCs with a few extra tricks/refinements (like unified memory), except one has more GPU and faster RAM. And that's it. It comes down to Microsoft's own expensive, now dead gimmick which caused them to have to cut back on internal silicon. They both had access to 100% the exact same tech, AMD+foundries, but Sony simply devoted more of their console budget to silicon and less to anything else. Both consoles launched at about the same time, yet the ps4 was actually cheaper.

So this may ultimately be the only generation we ever see where multiplats are genuinely an actual ADVANTAGE for one console vs another. For people who care about them and don't do PC gaming (tens of millions), the ps4 is at a real advantage there.

I don't think this will ever happen again though because it required Microsoft directly fucking up. Normally with access to the same tech Microsoft would if anything be better because they can afford to lose a bit per console initially and Sony cannot.
>>
>>335699845
By releasing the definitive version of a game promised for their last system on it.
>>
>>335701789
You're thinking of Wii owners.
>>
>>335699845
Even less third-party games.
Rehashes out the ass.
Gimmicks.
Shovelware.

You know, par for the course.
>>
>>335699845
Name it the Wii X
Price it at $400
Make it look exactly like the Wii again so consumers can't tell the difference
>>
>>335704109
That's basically where kids play games, so it's be pretty bad if they didn't
>>
Was there an announcement or something today? What's with all the threads
>>
>>335699845
It's going to have some kinda gimmick, going to be underpowered/middle gen, and it's going to have dumbed down games because they think the casuals care still.
>>
>>335704654
I wish Nintendo would do an actual good, innovative strategy there. There is certainly room for them too and it'd be good for all of us and for them. I don't think they have it in them though and that's really a damn fucking shame.
>>
File: 1402925014545.jpg (229 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1402925014545.jpg
229 KB, 1920x1080
>>335704540
>Wii X
>mfw I could actually see something like this happening
Although $400 seems perfectly fine and gimmick controller looks assured, so it probably will look and be marketed differently at least? Maybe?
>>
File: fcc.png (476 KB, 872x613) Image search: [Google]
fcc.png
476 KB, 872x613
>>335705167
>Nintendo
>marketing
Good luck with that.
>>
File: file.png (95 KB, 865x515) Image search: [Google]
file.png
95 KB, 865x515
>>335702931
spot the pattern
>>
>>335705331
>Super Spoopy
Do they not even have spell check technology on Nintendo computers?

>>335705480
>comparing total sold of finished gens to ongoing current gens with no mention of rates
Spot the retard.
>>
>>335701990

Zelda released on both GameCube and Wii even with backwards compatiblity. For that matter, we now have a rerelease of a Zelda that's on all 3 platforms, even though...again...the Wii U is backwards compatible. Crossgen release of Zelda means squat.
>>
>2016
>buying Nintendo shit products
Why? So we can have another 4/5 years worth of 1 Zelda game, 8 Marios with 1 not being a clone of the last console version and being somewhat decent, and maybe one new, somewhat fun pokemon console game?

Also, don't forget those Murica' exclusive memes.
>>
>>335705835
there are literally 2 current gen consoles on the list idiot, ignore them if you think they are irrelevant
>>
File: 1456019278268.jpg (95 KB, 662x800) Image search: [Google]
1456019278268.jpg
95 KB, 662x800
its going to be designed with amiibos, microtrasnactions, mobile web 2.0 faggotry, "social networking" and "miitome" miis or whatever the fuck, and it will still be an underpowered piece of shit with a gimmick attached.

in other words, nintendo has learned absolutely zero from their mistakes and will continue their disastrous decision making.
>>
>>335705981
They aren't irrelevant though, because the PS4 lacks BC but is literally selling BETTER then the PS2 did over the same time period. While I don't think Sony is going to run it for 11 years, if they did it could possibly sell close or more. And that undermines your argument about BC. You also have the PS3 with a simple checkmark, when in fact Sony took away BC part way through and the PS3 did BETTER afterwards.

All of which serves to highlight that BC can be useful, particularly early on, but only if it doesn't come at major sacrifice. I'm sure the PS5 will have BC because it'll be dead easy, that was part of the point of making the painful x86 transition. But do you really think the PS4 would be doing as well if Sony had stuck with Cell, with all the compromises that entailed, just because it would then have PS3 BC? With a new console what people care most about are the qualities, price, and library of the NEW console, not the old one. If they wanted the old one they could get it. BC is a fine bonus if it's cheap, but if it's expensive then no, sometimes legacy has to be jettisoned, at least temporarily (in principle improvements in processing power may mean that good emulation becomes possible eventually).
>>
>>335706760
lol shut up gayboy
>>
>>335699845
They already did. Even just releasing this right now is taking a massive shit on Wii U buyers who were, most likely, buying it for the Zelda. Nintendo drones will continue to drone but I'm sure a lot of people were burned and won't be buying into this again.
>>
>>335703312
All I buy is dat new Madden and Call of Duty bruh
>>
>>335706760
I think PS4K will get backwards compatibility. If the PS4 was capable they would have done it by now.
>>
>>335705480
Correlation=/=causation
>>
>>335701789
Harsh senpai.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.