[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you enjoy the Beat'em Up Genre when it was strong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: Axe Nigga.png (881 KB, 3840x2560) Image search: [Google]
Axe Nigga.png
881 KB, 3840x2560
Did you enjoy the Beat'em Up Genre when it was strong?
>>
http://data-discs.com/products/streetsofrage2?variant=16476913095
>>
File: Kneed.png (572 KB, 3840x2560) Image search: [Google]
Kneed.png
572 KB, 3840x2560
>>
I never really understood how to play these games. I would go in button mashing and lose, then see my big brother go in button mashing and win.

Is there strategy involved?
>>
>>335660148
Yes.

>>335661252
Some, but it's more about mastering the gameplay mechanics.
>>
Streets of Rage 2 and 3, Final Fight series, the power rangers game, fuck those were good. I love beat'm ups.

For more modern ones Castle Crashers is pretty good too, along with Dragon's Crown. God Hand is probably the only true 3D beat'm up.

Scott Pilgrim is the fucking worst and I'll violently disagree with anyone who says otherwise.
>>
>>335660148
Not really. I loved Double Dragon, but couldn't get into other games in the same genre. And I've tried a lot of them.
Streets of Rage was the only other close one for me.
>>
Anyone remember a game for the Sega Genesis where you would play as cyborgs or some shit?
>>
>>335662346
How violently?
>>
>>335662346
Scott Pilgrim, like all multiplayer games, are literally only best with a group of 3-4 friends doing couch mode. Pretty much any game is fun in couch mode.

And if you play beat 'em ups solo, then you're sad and pathetic.
>>
>>335662346

Forgot to mention Double Dragon Neon as a fun modern beat'm up. Great with a partner.

>>335662497

I'll type very loudly.

>>335662502

Yeah I love the great multiplayer options available in God Hand.

SoR was a bitch in multiplayer, at least the 3rd one was because I'm american and the game's difficulty was jacked to begin with.

Scott Pilgrim is just a shitty game and I will never forgive a beat'm up that lets enemies block indefinitely and doesn't immediately give you a throw or a guard break to begin with.

Thread theme:

https://youtu.be/y7B_DrojwJ8
>>
I always preferred beat em ups with a little more to them than jump and punch.
>>
>>335661252
Of course. Enemies have specific behaviours that you can learn and exploit. Also learning their spawn points, learning how to do proper crowd control, learning your characters moves/hitboxes and knowing when to use your special attacks are vital. They have more strategy involved than almost all modern beat em ups.
>>
>>335662685

I wish I had a change to play this when it was new.

Katana girl is everyone's waifu.
>>
>>335662442
yes, you could swap out their arms and legs and give them buzzsaw hands and tank treads

cyborg justice
>>
>>335662683
Double Dragon Neon felt really disappointing. It took out almost all the moves that the series has been introducing and balancing over the years and replaced them with really shitty RPG elements. The damage boost you get after dodging also makes the combat feel more mindless and samey.
>>
>>335660148
No. Fuck trying to line up 2d sprites on a 3d plane so the hits land. So stupid
>>
>>335662910

I don't think most modern gamers can handle beat'm ups with the difficulty of old ones. Remember God Hand's initial score on IGN?

I think we have to face the fact that a well crafted, challenging, and rewarding beat'm up will not survive in today's market and the PRESS X TO WIN generation.
>>
>>335662502
>And if you play beat 'em ups solo, then you're sad and pathetic.

Taking your time to fully appreciate the games instead of only playing in a braindead casual way with friends is pathetic? Do you even like video games, anon?
>>
>>335662910
Holy fuck. Never thought I'd hear someone else say this in one of these threads before me.

Every time I say this about neon all I get are drone ass niggas saying the soundtrack is good and lol who cares if it's dumbed down

Fuck that. Neon was trash and advance is the best the series ever got.

All I want is my full 3d double dragon with in depth fighting mechanics similar to force mode in tekken 3.
>>
>>335663153
Yeah, the introduction of RPG elements is really insulting. Almost feels like the devs feel like people won't appreciate their games because of the depth/challenge and instead need some additional skinner box shit to keep them interested.
>>
>>335663474

I think every single publisher/big wig tells devs to include unlocks no matter what. See: Mirror's Edge and the latest Doom.

Some weird positive reinforcement and it seems to work.

Videogames are now skinner boxes.

I want a God Hand sequel ):
>>
>>335663153

Guess that's why only true OG beatemup niggas play the

>shit classes (Monk, WM, BM, Ranger etc)

on DFO
>>
I feel that Ken's Rage 1 is a perfect 3D beat em up. Not the second one though, that's just a mediocre musou.
>>
>>335663668
Well it's one thing to see AAA devs do it, but it's another to see smaller devs that mostly make the types of games out of enthusiasm resort to the same shit. As if they have 0 confidence in the genre they supposedly like. And yeah a God Hand sequel would be amazing, especially if they add some grappling.
>>
Why was Super Double Dragon so perfect?
>>
>>335662797
Yes, that's it. Thank you, anon.
>>
>>335663189
Oh, so you are a complete fucking loser. That's nice.

Seriously, play single player games if that's what makes you happy. But shitting on a multiplayer game that is literally only designed in a WHOLE GENRE OF GAMES THAT IS DESIGNED MULTIPLAYER FOR THE LAST THIRTY YEARS is fucking sad and pathetic.

You're probably the same kind of loser who goes into tits threads and shitposts about how DFC is better. Fuck off.

Play a different genre if you have no friends. Don't shit on actually decent games because you intentionally handicap yourself.
>>
>>335662683
>lists literally the only single player beat-'em-up
>thinks this refutes the other 600 that are multiplayer
How does it feel to be that "special" kind of retarded?
>>
File: Yakuza 6.jpg (475 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Yakuza 6.jpg
475 KB, 1024x576
>>335660148
It's strong even now
>>
File: UC.jpg (114 KB, 650x427) Image search: [Google]
UC.jpg
114 KB, 650x427
>>335660148
Man, arcades were the shit for beat'em ups. I remember playing Konami's TMNT, Simpsons and Xmen, and Capcom's Punisher, C&D, Captain Commando and Final Fight.

Did anyone play Vendetta/Crime Fighters 2?

Another must play is Undercover Cops, but only one place near home got it, so it was hard to get in, due to the extensive line.

I just feel like getting home and getting the roms now.
>>
>>335663290
They tried it with that shitty Double Dragon 2 remake on Xbox360 (made by Gravity of Ragnarok Online fame of all people). Was universally panned for being shit.
>>
>>335664096
But the games are far, far better when played alone. With multiplayer you either have friendly damage which makes the games a frustrating mess unless you're going through a million credits or don't have friendly damage which turns the combat into a mindless clusterfuck.
>>
>>335664027
snes wind flutes
>>
Double Dragon Vs. Kunio-kun when?
>>
So, this is happening.

http://www.destructoid.com/river-city-tokyo-rumble-is-coming-west-357410.phtml
>>
>>335662685
I spent so much money on this game, I was sad to see it replaced with some damn light gun game.

Predator Hunter was my nigga
>>
File: 1454014415910.png (38 KB, 499x338) Image search: [Google]
1454014415910.png
38 KB, 499x338
>>335664096

Multiplayer on beat em ups was/is

O P T I O N A L
P
T
I
O
N
A
L A N O I T P O

Shit nigger, even in the original Double Dragon storyline, you were supposed to only play as either Bimmy or Jimmy since at the end you'd have to fight each other for Marian.

And in the NES port, he was the final boss.

So blow me, eat me, lick me, suck my asshole dry, tie a cinderblock to your ankles, find the tallest bridge in whatever shithole you live, and jump, and rid the world of your shit you fucking normie games-should-be-social waste of skin
>>
>>335660148
Derivative, repetive gameplay, same enemy characters patronizingly recycled with different colored costumes, no replay value after you beat it.
>>
>>335666659
>no replay value after you beat it

Let me guess, "beating it" to you means credit feeding and putting 0 thought into what you're doing?
>>
>>335666659
Pretty much everything we play is repetitive, m8, WTF are you even on?
Replay value is not a goal, is a road you pave with it, like every other fucking game worth putting a quarter again, or pressing start for that matter.
>>
Dead genres like belt scrollers and shmups belong on >>>/vr/
>>
>>335660148
They were fine on console. I always seemed to run into the garbage quarter-stealers in the arcade, like The Simpsons. Worst fucking game ever desu.
>>
how the fuck do you pull off the flying knee technique in double dragon 2

i've been trying to figure it out for years and it only works when it wants to
>>
Arcade Simpsons and X Men all the way.
>>
>>335664983
Thank you based Natsume
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.