[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Play modern "Horror" game >Loud noises and jump
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
>Play modern "Horror" game
>Loud noises and jump scares all over the place

What the fuck happened to scary games?

I want something genuinely unsettling, that can make me anxious as shit and not rely on gimmicks like "OOGA BOOGA" shit.
>>
You want something unsettling?

Play Worlds Online.
>>
File: 1458200221377.gif (1 MB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1458200221377.gif
1 MB, 500x375
>>335654945
>Worlds Online
>>
Jump scares have literally always been around. j
>>
File: Snug_smug.jpg (44 KB, 540x559) Image search: [Google]
Snug_smug.jpg
44 KB, 540x559
>>
>>335655112
Not in the same way that they've been made popular in the last decade.

Before you'd have good atmospheres setting the mood and then maybe a jump scare, but now it's

>silence
>silence
>JUMP SCARE
>silence
>JUMP SCARE
>JUMP SCARE
>JUMP SCARE
>silence

repeat in any order you wish.
>>
Play Cry of Fear. Beat it a few weeks ago and it's easily the scariest game I've ever played. It's basically Silent Hill meets the FPS genre with some shitty crouch-jumping from Half Life because why the fuck not.

The game loves jump scares though.
>>
harvester
classic and it's less than $2 on steam rn
>>
>>335655375
So in other words, it's shit.
>>
Play Dying Light then. It has zombies in it. Zombies are scary.
>>
>>335656130

It actually is sometimes. It's almost like making the night scary dangerous and giving you full agency to die horribly searching for rare salvage might actually build tension.

Multiplayer is just your standard jump-scare affair however; Unless you're well equipped or the zombie is high level, you're just going to get blindsided 10 times for the loss or murder him 5 times for the win.
>>
>>335657985
Dying Light was entirely forgettable for me except those night sections.
The multiplayer night hunters were incredibly tense but you always knew those attack animations were supposed to be cheap jump scares.
>>
>implying horror games weren't always jump scares
>>
>>335654807

Have you ever considered that maybe you've become desensitized and nothing will actually scare you again?
>>
File: 1426786617300.gif (71 KB, 402x333) Image search: [Google]
1426786617300.gif
71 KB, 402x333
Dark Corners of the Earth felt pretty great up until the point where you get a gun. It's a shame it the finish product was fucked over by Bethesda so much.

>in the sewers
>come across a tunnel full of huge spiders
>try to find another way around
>there isn't one
>>
>>335654807
>define modern
Dead space (and 2) are pretty good. REmake.
(These are modern for me)
>>
>>335654807
chromatic abomination burns your eyes at 1210 degrees
>>
>>335658306

I remember the bridge mission.. Where I snuck, ran, cried bitch tears and flash-tanned myself with UV flares before I realized, right as I was picking up bulbs, that I could have arrived in the day to scale it at night.

The nights were so tense and dangerous, I completely neglected to consider the logical option of "Just don't be out at night".

>>335658652

I actually got rather fucked up by it due to a glitch; My game got stuck with me staring at the hanged woman in the grocery. Wasn't that spooky till I realized I was stuck.

If the Hotel chase was a touch more forgiving, it would have been scary rather than tedious.

The Shoggoth however... And the man in the basement of the cult building...
>>
Try Blood Siren. Its less jump scare, more tension and suspense of not being caught by gruesome undead villagers. Then it turns into onimusha at the end
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.