[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are journalists really that fucking casual? I received this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 20
File: star_fox_zero_artwork.jpg (845 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
star_fox_zero_artwork.jpg
845 KB, 1920x1200
are journalists really that fucking casual?

I received this game yesterday and controls are fun as fuck, not complicated at all

what the hell happened to this industry?
>>
What annoys me is that they focused so much on the controls that they barely looked at the main game itself.

lot of things wrong with it.
>>
>>335619954
I agree. It's a pretty fun game, it does lack some content though.
>>
The game is bad because of shit boss and level design not controls

Not a single rail shooting boss and the alternative areas/phases are absolutely nothing
>>
>>335620174
This

I want a 4v4 CTF all range mode, where the flag is in bunkers for some sweet walker/landmaster fights.
>>
>>335619954
>it's about ethics in gaming journalism

Tell me again how GamerGate doesn't harass people.
>>
File: 1379266185090.png (860 KB, 1313x1138) Image search: [Google]
1379266185090.png
860 KB, 1313x1138
>>
>>335619954
They got the score right at least, but complained about the wrong things.
>>
Or maybe they understand that the alternate controls shouldn't be forced.
>>
File: 1410565646910.png (111 KB, 542x218) Image search: [Google]
1410565646910.png
111 KB, 542x218
foxy
>>
I think the game's the second best StarFox game in the series but let me just list out issues that aren't the controls.
>No impact in taking alternate paths, only feel like side missions
>A glaring divide between levels that have a lot more development put into them (ex: Fortunate, Titania, or pretty much all main path missions) and levels where there's hardly anything to them (dedicated Star Wolf fight levels and the one level with Cosmic Dodora)
>While I don't exactly hate the Gyrowing, I don't think it should have been added in the first place since it kills the pacing in one level and is never seen again
>No completion bonus unless you don't have any amiibos
>Omission of Expert mode or online modes, I would've even accepted online leaderboards

I love the game too, and I hope that they make a sequel that improves on everything in Zero like with DKC Returns to Tropical Freeze
>>
>>335619954
>what the hell happened to this industry?

AAA western games are dumbing down the controls in 3D games, journalists are getting coddled by it. Games just piling content ontop of homogensous design while removing control/expectations from the player and are getting revered/awards for it.

Star Fox Zero uses a more complicated 3D control scheme, has more focus on moving in 3D space and is inherently hardsh expects mastery(e.g. regular shots and bombs are fire straight forward) comes out and gets treated as if it's some kind of massive faux pas to actually expect the player how to learn to play it.

Star Fox Zero's direction is the exact opposite direction of the way industry is heading.
>>
File: Noice jawb.png (136 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Noice jawb.png
136 KB, 250x250
>>335620401

After seeing this, I have basically lost all hope on reviewers.

Not that I didn't already had done so long time ago, game journalism and reviews in general cannot compare to your own authentic opinion. Let me just say not to ever fall into a so called hype for a game nor to ever fall on a hate bandwagon just because. If you're legitimately interested about a game, regardless of what you've seen and not caring about biased and/or bought opinions, then by all means, do it. Your gut's telling you to do so for a reason, whether it's to learn it the easy way or the hard way.

And even if you just want to find out how a game plays, just seeing a video should be more than enough for you to realize what kind of controls you're up against and whether it's challenging or not and up to your tastes, because people prefer harder games and people prefer easier games to relax (that's why there's games like Animal Crossing and Kirby and even the latter tries to give those who want a little bit more a pinch of difficulty, even if it's still not too hard). Still doesn't give you the right to judge a game before even playing it though, unless you watched a entire freaking playthrough of it and even then, it still wasn't you who got to play the fucking game, you basically went through a cinematic experience.
>>
>>335619954
>are journalists really that fucking casual?

And this comes from a faggot that likes a casualized StarFox 64
>>
>>335620121
ive just completed my first play through, and needing to focus on the gamepad more so than the tv is definately something i'm not impressed with

and the landmaster controls are garbage

i think i may be in the minority that really loved the gyrowing, i was just upset i didnt get to use it more

but yeah for first playthrough the game seemed really bare, and considering everyone is saying alternate paths arent great i dont have much hope

guard is pretty wank too
>>
>>335624553
>focus on the gamepad more so than the tv
You did realize Select switches the two screens, right?
>>
File: 1377003372902.png (672 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1377003372902.png
672 KB, 919x720
You know that feeling when you truly enjoy a game from beginning to end and you wanna share it with everyone,
only to find out that even those people who should appreciate it call you a retard for enjoying it.

This is /v/ right now.
I feel so damn alone with my opinion but after 19 years of playing 64 over and over and over again,
unlocking hardmode and forcing my friends to play multiplayer with me, I honestly enjoy this game more.

>first time I started the game I immediately got used to the controls and getting good at aiming with the TV crosshair didn't take an entire playthrough either.
>first time I played the walker level I absolutely breezed through it and haven't had this much fun in ages
>landmaster controls better than ever now that the crosshair doesn't reset back to the middle of the screen and it's so freaking fast to aim
>gyro controls actually allow me to approach boss battles differently each time I play the game
>While the Gyrowing is slow I can always play the Arwing/Walker version of the level by playing both of the longest routes in arcade mode
>going stealth is actually really nice and a neat change of pace
>Andross boss was actually much more enjoyable and difficult than in 64 to me
>Always thought the brain fight was boring and frustrating outside of the ending cutscene

This game will sell like shit, it won't get any DLC, it won't get a sequel and if it will they will throw everything I love about this game out the window.
I can't go back to 64, this is just so much more fun to me, it's kind of heartbreaking to see people shit on Miyamoto now that he actually made something
like this that at the very least is all I ever asked for as an old N64 fanboy.
>>
>>335619954
Yes they are.
Controversial view but after playing most of the way in and I really like the game, I'm guessing there's not much more and I will feel a little let down if Arcade mode is just the exact same with lifes and no map screen, I'm hoping for different enemy patterns like alot of plat games have on post-completion difficulties.
But other than the short play time I'm really liking it.
A ton of the criticism seems really off.
First of all, it's just sne+64 again.
Only in the sense that Mario Galaxy 2 is just a remake of Galaxy, yes there are stages with the same name and theme but the design, boss' and a ton of other stuff are totally new. it's only a remake in the sense that it doesn't continue their story. You can say that many of the mario and zelda are remake by that logic.
I've had no issues with the controls and it took next to no time to learn them, having to use two screen is hardly tricky and I'm shocked so many people have issues.
I'd sooner keep them than go back to 64 or even using one stick for aiming and one for moving.
In a ton of way the game reminds me of Rising, a troubled title that plat came in to clean up and the end result is short but very fun.
It's a far better use of Nintendo's money that something like Lego City, a game with tons of content but nothing good in terms of gameplay.
>>
File: 1461696039060.png (147 KB, 1274x652) Image search: [Google]
1461696039060.png
147 KB, 1274x652
Yes, but the problem is they are complaining about the wrong things. Like you said, the controls aren't an issue but Zero suffers from NOT rehashing more aspects of Star Fox 64.

I just hope to Christ that Nintendo doesn't take these "professionals" at their word. If they do, get ready for Adventures 2.
>>
>>335619954
>VR waggle is amazing and perfect and journalists can't stop dick sucking facebook and HTC cocks
>Wii U has good gyro and it's shit 2/10 fuck you Nintendo

Hmm.
>>
>>335627796

You seem so desperate you literally eat whatever shit Nintendo throws at you.

Serioulsy Nintendo fans behave like cult fanatics trying to force their believes of what is truly "fun" to others.

I loved Nintendo games, and StarFox 64 was great, but this piece of shit is outdated, ugly and plays with forced gimmick. I'm happy nobody will remember this game.
>>
File: meltface.png (253 KB, 365x485) Image search: [Google]
meltface.png
253 KB, 365x485
I wear glasses to look at long distance things clearly, such as my television.

But if I wear my glasses and look at close up things too long I get sick.

This game is fucking unplayable for me having to constantly switch between long distance and short distance.
>>
>>335630450
Press the minus/select button to swap the gamepad and TV screens.
>>
>>335629941
where in my post did I try to force my opinion down anyones throat like you make it out to be?

Yes this is truly my opinion and the only thing I wanna throw into the discussion here is that from what I've experience most of the issues stated in these threads could be seen as very subjective.

How can you call me or other people who try to defend the game call desperate if all you do is fling the same non-arguments over and over again?
>>
>>335620375
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>335619954

Congrats.

You mastered the controls

However, no amount of "git gud" will fix the game's lack of content and focus on non on rail sections
>>
File: disappoint dad.png (104 KB, 318x308) Image search: [Google]
disappoint dad.png
104 KB, 318x308
>>335619954
People don't want to use gimmicks, people dont want to use the gamepad. People want to use a traditional controller.

End of story, no damage control, no sliding, no shilling no nothing. People are sick of gimmicks.
>>
>>335631602
>People want to use PRESS X TO WIN control scheme

yup, cancer killing video games
>>
>>335631826
Where in his fucking post did he ever imply that you shitstain?
>>
File: ryan 3.png (15 KB, 85x85) Image search: [Google]
ryan 3.png
15 KB, 85x85
>beat the game
>post on /v/ how I hated it
>told that I'm a casual who couldn't git gud at the controls
>>
>>335631826
>no brain Andross
>all routes are the same, no difficulty
>chicken Arwing
>boring as fuck hack missions

No anon, you are the cancer
>>
>>335631978
from P to the S
>>
>>335632163
Kill yourself.
>>
>>335631826
OK you got me i'll give a serious reply.

The focus on gimmicks has not only stolen mechanical control depth from Nintendo games, but has also stagnated them from a design standpoint. I'm sick of gimmicks because of this, not because they cant work or dont try to introduce something new or original but because the focus on them has kept Nintendo from producing titles with fundamentally strong gameplay.

Starfox zero suffers from not only lack of content but severely crippling design choices that make it a overall lackluster experience that would have otherwise been much stronger if not for the focus on trying to be a special faggoty fuckbutt snowflake and have MUH GYROS.

Hang yourself shitposter, you have absolutely no ground to stand on. Nintendo has become crippled as a company and as a developer since their introduction and COMPLETE RELIANCE ON gimmicks to push their ideas forward rather than making a strong game first.

This is why they're losing customers
This is why the Wii stopped selling after its pop culture boom that brought in nongamers by the 10's of millions
This is why the WiiU failed because it tried to bank off a dead name
This is why despite having SOME good games, WiiU gets shit on for still not catering to the core.

Their games have become shallow comparisons to their ancestors and CANNOT be called real Nintendo games. They do nothing to push their respective genres forward, and only continue to stagnate them. They're gimmick garbage and this is why people hate gimmicks.
>>
>>335632238
truth hurts, yeah
>>
>>335632404
Not him but you're literally retarded.
>>
>>335632640
>someone actually tries to explain themself
>call them retarded without even giving any points yourself

not him but as someone who loves the game I think retards like you make these threads even worse
>>
>>335629941
>it's the classic "lol Nintendrone I'm a """fan"""" of _____ and because I'm a fan ur opinion is shit" response

Video game discussions everyone.
>>
>>335632886
This his entire goal, he's just here to shitpost and doesnt have an actual point to make. He's probably 14 and has his finger on his routers reset.
>>
>games journalism
>anything good about them at all
>>
>>335620301
I loved bosses.
>>
>>335632640
There are many ex-Nintendo fans sick, tired of Nintendo gimmicks and casual pandering, like it or not.

Nintendo won't be relevant until it purges it's toxic autistic fanbase and comes back to what it really matters: making great games.
>>
gaymer culture it's ruining videogames
>>
>>335633012
I'm kind of on his side, since I'm >>335627796
I just hate how these threads have become fighting shitposting and opinions with shitposting
>>
>>335632975
>nintendo can do no wrong and any criticism is because of sony/shills/games journalists/anti-nintendo conspiracies/trolls/babbys who can't into motion controls

neo /v/, everyone
>>
File: why2.png (372 KB, 619x418) Image search: [Google]
why2.png
372 KB, 619x418
>>335633279
Honestly I'm getting sick of 4chan, after posting here for 12 years I'm kinda over the rampant shitposting and contrarianistic attitudes. Yes I'm sick of gimmicks, yes I'm sick of Nintendo even as a Nintendo fan of 27 years, but I at least like to have decent discussions now and again. It's like we're literally splitting at the sides with people who dont come here for nothing but shitposting anymore. I sometimes wish I could take each individual one of these kids and break their fingers with a ballpine hammer so they cant post anymore. I'm so sick of idiots, gimmick defenders, defense forces, shills, marketers and the lot that I could literally learn reddits faggoty layout and start posting there.
>>
>>335619954
Controlling the landmaster and chicken walker sucks
>>
>>335619954
There's a game explain video where the completionist guy rips in to them

They had a MONTH to finish and review the game, and didn't bother playing the one hour it takes to learn the controls
>>
>>335619954
Game journalists decided it's more important to review the newest game as quickly as possible to keep up the clicks. This in turn leads to them not giving a game the amount of effort it may or may not deserve.
>>
>>335633957
It only takes three hours to beat the entire game.
>>
File: 1431302619456.png (108 KB, 213x320) Image search: [Google]
1431302619456.png
108 KB, 213x320
>>335633596

They are going to start beheading people if you criticize them or their adcended prophet Iwata.
>>
>>335633596
>>335632975
you are not contributing to the discussion in the slightest

>>335633750
I've been constantly switching between 8ch and 4chan hoping I can find the best of both worlds.
I've been here since 2009 and while the phrase "see you tomorrow" is usually a very valid response, I feel less and less connected to /v/ as time moves on.
>>
File: this cant be real.jpg (32 KB, 320x405) Image search: [Google]
this cant be real.jpg
32 KB, 320x405
>Trying to get corneria 2 medal
>have to get 370 hits
fucking how
>>
>>335632640
>Nintendorks
>>
>>335634005
>>335633957
>>335633865
I can see Nintendo dropping support for western journalists in favour of YouTube videos with dedicated people showcasing the various aspects of a game over a month long period. That's how long reviewers get to play the game before sorting out a review score, why not spend that time informing players to make their own decision? It's about time journalists were finally done with
>>
Does anyone have Star Fox Zero reviews from Japan? What do people think of it compared to here.
Famitsu is the only Japanese site I could find that did a review on Zero, and they gave it a relatively high score
http://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-review-scores-41216/
>>
>>335633750
>not enough robotnik in that post
>>
>>335620350
>yfw that one guy with the gyrocopter steals the flag using Direct-i through a tiny hole in the ceiling
>>
>>335634662
Famitsu gave it an amazing review.
Western media was absolutely unanimous about the controls and all that stuff. Guess they just want to be polemists and rebel against the bad japs.
>>
File: 1461103155817.png (209 KB, 350x240) Image search: [Google]
1461103155817.png
209 KB, 350x240
>>335627796
You're not alone, friend. I love the everloving shit out of this game.

I feel like it's only missing a few things like solar and the macbeth train, but if I really want that I'll go and play 64. Zero feels like the star fox game I always wanted after 64 and it does not disappoint.
>>
File: 1376493939712.gif (3 MB, 580x327) Image search: [Google]
1376493939712.gif
3 MB, 580x327
>>335636761
you and me both, anon
>>
>>335620301

>Not a single rail shooting boss

really?
>>
This shit is not worth 50 dollars, there is no defending it

There are barely any branching paths at all, it's easy as fuck and there's no expert mode to compensate, and the framerate hops around even though it was delayed specifically for 60 FPS

This isn't even including the fact that it's 3 hours long, and also completely ignoring the issue about controls.
>>
>>335632463
game still sucks regardless of the control scheme
>>
>>335637154
Oh holy fuck
Isn't it incredible how people parrot the same fucking post? Dude, we've read this same post tons of time already.
>>
>>335636208
>Famitsu gave it an amazing review.

Famitsu hasn't been the golden standard of Japanese reviews for quite some time now. Their opinion means jack shit compared to what it used to b
>>
>>335637869
Says who? American journalists?
>>
File: 1374717796738.gif (2 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
1374717796738.gif
2 MB, 240x180
These threads feel like shitposting on youtube comments.
This is what 4/v/ has become, hope you like it.
>>
>>335638063
It's been like that for several years, anon. It's like how JP Amazon reviews for games are always awful.
>>
Its a shame, you can tell the devs really worked hard, but at one point everything just went south.

It feels like they did the game over from scratch after E3
>>
>>335620174

All they had to do was lower the price.
>>
>>335638572
$50 is considered budget priced by Nintendo. Just look at the Wii U Mario Tennis.
>>
>>335638572
All they have to do is fire those incompetent devs, retire Miyamoto and inject some new, fresh blood to the company.
>>
>>335634005
It's an arcade game. You're supposed to replay it
>>
>>335637701
Because he likely hasn't fucking played it and is repeating what he read a shitposter say
>>
>>335619954
>Enjoying a game
>On /v/
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Who played Guard. The final Boss was great
>>
>>335638828
now THAT game is a load of horseshit and Nintendo deserves all the criticism they get for
treating Camelot like some C team trash.

>there will never be a game as good as the advance Tennis/Golf games anymore

It hurts
>>
>>335638572
It's already £35 quid with another game bundled with it, how cheap does it have to be?
>>
>>335638409
So every American "journalist" as well, who buy in to marketing and allow their opinion to be swayed on Twitter

In short, burn it all down
>>
>>335634005
One blind playthrough, yeah.
>>
A game should not force you to learn how to use shitty controls

Fuck this game
>>
>>335637701
I dunno, how many times are people going to parrot the "YOU JUST WANT ALL GAMES TO BE 50 HOURS LONG" and "YOU'RE JUST CAN'T GIT GUD WITH THE CONTROLS" defenses?

If you want something for comparison, reviewers also complained about the controls in Kid Icarus but still gave it decent scores. They didn't do the same with Star Fox Zero, because Star Fox Zero was a mediocre game.
>>
>>335639129

It's $60. Don't bullshit.
>>
>>335632404
honestly a question I have is what's up with Nintendo introducing a gimmick then barely implementing it at all past a a few instances at best??
>>
File: ayy lmao.gif (961 KB, 470x341) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao.gif
961 KB, 470x341
>Tfw I found out I could switch motion controls to not always be on and suddenly it pretty much handled like the old school game, except when I wanted it not to.
>>
>>335639731
Stop being American
>>
>>335639731
If you buy it on Amazon, the bundle with SFZ and SFGuard only costs $50. That's what I did, though I didn't even realize Guard was included at the time.
>>
>>335638063
>>335637869
>>335636208

Famitsu gave Jojo All Star Battle a 40/40
40/40 to the game that had the most cancerous story mode and broken ass mechanics & shit like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5CDMW2ziQ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abptG0_k0Bs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opPub3Vrxtw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlihFgzus0k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGqIY0gE6qA

Took them many patches to make the game remotely worthy to play.
Also MGS:Peace Walker 40/40
>>
File: FB_IMG_1461716312966.jpg (45 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1461716312966.jpg
45 KB, 720x960
Pros:
>Levels are fast-paced and challenging
>Gyro controls on the gamepad actually do allow for sharper shooting
>Banter is great
>Being able to switch between Arwing and Walker is really fun and gives you a few different options in combat
>Boss fights are fun as fuck

Cons:
>More on-rails stages would've been nice
>Framerate takes heavy hits at times
>Puzzles weren't all that well developed or interesting. (In the first Gyrowing stage, Direct I's bomb holding ability isn't used for anything. Kind of a missed opportunity )
>Gyroscope controls snap when turning to the left and right for some odd reason
>Walker shoulda had standard TPS controls. If Splatoon could do it woth motion controls, so can this game

Overall, it's a 7.5/10
>>
>>335640496
and this was all on release I forgot to mention.
>>
>>335640530
>framerate
I got slowdown which is probably even worse, but framerate issues? Where exactly?
>>
>>335640496
Well, they obviously enjoy JoJo that's for sure
>>
>>335640967
I can understand that and the art direction is fabulous but that was the only good part.
>>
>>335639421
>If you want something for comparison, reviewers also complained about the controls in Kid Icarus but still gave it decent scores. They didn't do the same with Star Fox Zero, because Star Fox Zero was a mediocre game.

the score average for kid icarus was about a point higher than star fox. It is also one of the nicest looking games on the 3DS while star fox looks pretty ugly for a console title. It also has far more comprehensible linear story progression and is full of bits of content not related to the main game, like achievements, offerings and streetpass functionality.

Your argument is just baseless assumption when both games are very different in presentation and style
>>
>>335642390
>Very ugly for a console title
Yeah, but not for a Nintendo console.
>>
>>335642673
>Yeah, but not for a neo-Nintendo console.

Fixed
>>
I don't know if it has shit controls. I just know I don't want to HAVE to look at two screens.
>>
I just came here to say that I write in games media and I find it humorous that you think those of us that review games are journalists. I haven't done a shred of actual journalistic work since getting into this career path.
Your an idiot and you entertain me.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.