[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I finally got around to beating the original baldurs gate. Using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: Baldurs-Gate-Front-Cover-11579.jpg (32 KB, 405x400) Image search: [Google]
Baldurs-Gate-Front-Cover-11579.jpg
32 KB, 405x400
I finally got around to beating the original baldurs gate. Using an inquisitor I was able to beat it with no party members. Is the sequel any good with going solo? Could I continue to just use my inquisitor?
>>
Not likely. By the time you get to the expansion, magic outperforms melee classes significantly in terms of raw durability. This is because shit like fire giant-wannabes (I think they're called Fire Ettins?) have retarded thac0, and while they can very easily get through armor, they can't get through shit like illusions.
I remember my blade bard being retardedly OP later in the game.
>>
>>335094492
But isn't an inquisitor built to combat against magic?
>>
>>335094591
You get more out of magic than you get from building to counter magic, is what I'm saying. There are not that many magic threats I can think of, and the few you run into are manageable by unloading everything in your spell book onto them.

I'm going to stick with either mage/thief or blade bard for my answer.
>>
>>335094945
Crap might have to run through the first game again then. I like to be as optimized as possible and not having those few extra stat points the tomes give me will always bother me.
>>
>>335094182
>playing solo
>>
>>335095221
I do it because I like the challenge. Not trying to be some edge master loner.
>>
>>335094182
Inquisitors have a super instant dispel magic move so they're really good. If you somehow manage to solo Firkraag for Carsomyr I'll be impressed.
>>
>>335095768
>have not played the second game yet
Who the hell are those people and why should I be scared of them?
>>
>>335095907
Carsomyr is the best weapon in the game and telling you what Firkraag is is a spoiler for a quest. He's extremely strong though even with a full party.
>>
>>335096031
I will admit I had to reload a few times against sarevok, mostly because his mage buddy would remove all my buffs (I hate how my dispel affects me as well) I might need to run through the first game a few more times with the old character in order to raise my ability scores for better saving throws.
>>
>>335096260
You can just reroll at the start of BG2 if you really want to.
>>
>>335096349
I would lose the extra strength I got though, 19 natural is not something I would like to give up.
>>
>>335096448
You can get a belt or a ring to get it to 19 or 21 pretty easily.
>>
>>335096604
But if I had the will to play through the first game about 8 more times (which realistically Im not actually going to do) I could get all ability scores to cap making the game a cakewalk.
>>
>>335096805
Are we playing the same Baldur's Gate? You roll for your scores at the start of the game and that's that.
>>
>>335096934
In baldurs gate 1 there are tomes you can read to raise your abilities by 1. If you get them in the first game you can port it over to 2 to get an advantage. You can also replay the first game with a character who beat the game before and collect the books again infinitely. It takes a long time, but you could potentially have every stat at max before starting the second game.
>>
>>335097091
Or you could just roll for a high score or set all your abilities to 18 instead of replaying the game eight times.
>>
>>335097149
You can get them above 18 using the tomes though. Making your character get to the power he could never normally reach no matter how good of a roll you get. As I said it is intensely impractical and I dont plan to actually do it, but it is always a last resort,
>>
>>335094182
You can beat either game solo with any class, but some are a lot harder than others.
It will be very tough, but doable. Wouldn't recommend for the first playthrough
>>
>>335097436
I won my first playthrough of bg1 solo. I actually found it easier then with a party. (since im that guy who can never let any member die ever)
>>
>>335094182
>original
>inquisitor

No.
>>
File: I dunno.jpg (68 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
I dunno.jpg
68 KB, 1920x1080
>>335097678
Hey I beat the game with it didn't I? It's not like it's that bad of a kit either.
>>
>>335097678
You get kits in enhanced edition, I think.
>>
File: 1460860080155.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460860080155.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>335096260
Unrelated but it triggered me how Sarevok had a mage on his side at the end. The two other guys + his girlfriend were all gradually introduced in the story, but then there's this piece of shit who exists only because the bad guys needed a mage on their side. Fuck you Gayder.
>>
>>335097871
Inquisitor doesn't exist in the original Baldur's Gate. You beat the Enhanced Edition.
>>
>>335098417
Or Tutu. Don't be such a sperg.
>>
>>335098215
I was really looking forward to the sarevok fight especially as a solo, I thought it would be a one on one fight between brothers, both of us buffed as hell with whatever magic abilities we could give ourselves, then it became a round of "dodge the spider web spell" I was so disappoint.
>>
>>335098215
Gaider didn't work on BG1 dumb anime cunt
>>
>>335098417
Forgot to clarify it was the enhanced edition. Although I highly doubt that made the game much different since I didn't use any party members. Besides I wanted that kit to port over to the sequel.
>>
>>335098904
He's just being autistic. Most people play with Tutu or BGT which backports class kits to BG1.
>>
>>335098548
>or Tutu

Which again, is not the original. It's not being autistic to call the original the original you stupid faggot.

>>335098904
Kits severely unbalance BG1.
>>
>>335100134
Again anon I apologize for not clarifying it was the enhanced edition. I may go through another playthrough without a kit just to prove I can solo without it though. If it does severely unbalance the game I am working on a pure mage so I have somewhere to start.
>>
>>335100134
This. Especially Inquisitor. Their double-level scaling on Dispel Magic trivializes virtually every Mage fight and magic-using monster fight. And True Sight? That's a sixth level Mage spell that auto-gibs Mirror Image and Invisibility. The only real danger you face as a solo character is being Charmed, but Inquisitors are immune. And, of course, being Held and defenseless while they wreck you. But again, immune. And all of that becomes available at level 1.

The only trade-off is no Turn Undead (useless for a Paladin in BG1), no Priest Spells (again, nothing of note in BG1) and no Lay on Hands. Lay on Hands would hit harder if you weren't the protagonist and therefore being flooded with free Cure Light Wounds and the like from the storyline.
>>
>>335100753
I just really wanted to play a paladin and that one shined to me, didn't know I would be breaking the game so hard.
>>
>>335100920
It's not game breaking, it's just easier. Which seems to be contrary to your original goal of making it hard on yourself by soloing. As a generalization, the base classes are worse and the vanilla game is harder (far fewer magic items and the like). Also, some classes are harder to solo with than others.

I'd imagine the hardest would probably be a Bard, though I imagine you could make a pretty respectable Archer out of one and not be TOO gimped.
>>
>>335101807
I find bards useless in bg, being a master of none is probably the worst thing in an rpg. If I do another solo run its either going to be a berserker or a pure mage. I simply went with inquisitor because I wanted my first time to beat the game to be solo.
>>
>>335102556
>I find bards useless in bg,
In BG1 they're basically Wizards with better HP and bard song.
>>
>>335102832
Hmm might try it out then, I might just have that opinion since most bard party members are god awful thanks to their crap stats.
>>
>>335102556
>>335102924
>>335102832
In BG2, they're unkillable and get all of the perks of weapon-based, single target damage.
It's not as much that they're masters of none as it is they're physical fighters who can remain on the front lines, once monster thac0 thoroughly outclasses even the best armor. This as opposed to my mazzy and minsc, who ended up shitting damage in ToB but got reliably chipped down by fire fucks. I ended up with my Jan, Aerie, my blade bard, and Imoen tanking, while minsc and mazzy followed up from the rear with swords.
>>
>>335103618
I try to like Aerie but her early game hp is so much trash.
>>
>>335102924
I'm a big fan of the Blade kit, but even generic Bards are pretty fantastic.

*Pick Pockets: It's nice because you never invest a Thief into this. Thieves HAVE to be able to find/disarm traps and pick locks. And if you have a second Thief, chances are he's your Stealth guy. But Bards? They only get Pick Pockets so there's no need to worry.

*Lore: I mean, they get Identify anyhow, but it's just nice to know that virtually everything you pick up is going to be auto-identified. One of those quality of life perks.

*Battle Song: Fear doesn't happen often, but having an infinite supply of Fear dispels is handy.

*Weapon Proficencies: Outside Composite Longbows, a Bard can use anything a Fighter can. Sword and shield tanky bard? Sure! Archer? Why not! Melee support? Could be! Whatever slot you're missing from a team, he can step into and handle. The fact that he can wear Chain Mail and some of the best armor in the game is Chain is nothing to rub your nose at either.

*HP: Better than a Mage.

*Spells: Here's where he really shines. See, a Mage gets 2nd level spells at level 3 while a Bard has to wait until level 4. But a Bard hits level 4 the same time a Mage would hit level 3. So, the Bard has the same level of spells, an effective caster level higher, plus his superior HP / abilities. Eventually, the Mage will overtake him at the very end of BG1 having a few 5th level spells to the Bard's 4th, but I think with the other perks, the Bard shines brighter.
>>
>>335104527
Whats the highest lvl spells a bard can reach? Because based on that I might just be a pure mage.
>>
>>335104865
Baldur's Gate
Bard: 4th level spells
Mage: 5th level spells

Baldur's Gate 2
Bard: 6th level spells
Mage: 9th level spells
>>
>>335105883
I really don't want to miss out on those high lvl spells. If I had party members it wouldn't be much of a problem, but as I said I want to go solo for the challenge.
>>
>>335094182
>original baldurs gate
>inquisitor
what?
>>
>>335106031
The early Baldur's Gate 1 can be challenging for a Mage, depending on whether you're familiar with which spells trivialize fights.

Baldur's Gate 2 through it's expansion is easy-mode as a Mage.
>>
Is Sun Soul Monk any good/fun?
>>
>>335107849
It's actually much better than vanilla Monk due to the extra fire damage on hit and ranged attack options. The problem with vanilla Monk is that while they get a lot of attacks, they're not really high damage or high accuracy - but getting an extra 2d6 fire damage on each hit for basically a whole fight is HUGE in 2E and allows you to get past defenses like Stoneskin while beating the shit out of enemies.
>>
>>335108114
So how is Sun Soul earlygame, which is bad for regular monks? Also how is Dark Moon Monk in general?
>>
>>335108384
They don't get most of their abilities until midway through BG1 so they're basically useless and Dark Moon Monk isn't very good.
>>
File: baldurs gate.jpg (446 KB, 1004x1344) Image search: [Google]
baldurs gate.jpg
446 KB, 1004x1344
>>
>>335108667
Who the shit would expect Fallout from BG?
>>
>>335104527
But armor disables the casting ability does it not? Is there a way around this in BG? I know BG2 had Elven Chain that allowed casting, but that was usually mid to late game.
>>
>>335109079
Someone who never played it and was going off reputation alone? Also note the "fantasy edition". I'm just saying I expected that type of late 90s RPG, just of a different flavour.
>>
>>335108667

you need to tone this picture down a few notches from maximum overbait
>>
>>335094945
that's entirely wrong though. magic only becomes op when you have the wish spell and can wish yourself more magic. before that and arguably even after anti-magic is the strongest tactic due to the fact that encounter difficulty revolves around enemy wizards. for example, kangaxx is a challenging fight for even a high level wizard, but he's completely helpless against even a low level fighter using an anti-magic scroll.
>>
>>335100753
for a solo non-magic character the actual biggest challenge is stat drain from vampires and mindflayers. the only items that give protection to that are only equippable by wizards, so your only defense is not getting hit.
>>
>>335096260
Your ability scores does not have any effect on saving throws.
>>
>>335097149
YOU CANT ROLL A CHARACTER WITH 19 CHARISMA YOU MOTHERFUCKING IDIOT

THE TOMES

THE FUCKING TOMES
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.