[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about Demon's Souls that make it so much better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10
File: DemonsSouls.jpg (558 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
DemonsSouls.jpg
558 KB, 2560x1600
What is it about Demon's Souls that make it so much better than all the Soulsborne titles that came after it by From Software? What separates it from the rest?

I'm replaying it right now and I get chills from the moment the CGI intro starts playing.

>"On the first day..."

No other From Software title does that to me. Anyone else feel the same way about Demon's Souls?
>>
It was a genuine attempt at something new and not just a copy. It's also more coherent when it comes to the atmosphere.
>>
Demon's Souls was my first Souls game and I loved everything about it but I think Dark Souls was better.

DS1 > DeS = DS3 > DS2
>>
>>335059404
Nostalgia
>>
>>335059404

It mostly was better at storytelling, but gameplay and bosses were done better by the others
>>
also a fucking joke when it came to difficulty, DkS pales in comparison;
-non-regenerating consumble health grass
-half health as zombie
-dark world tendency made enemies stronger
-checkpoints only after bosses
-only boss kills or one rare item can restore body
-that guy who would kill all your vendors lmao

Im happy DkS got rid of a lot of this shit
>>
>>335060049
casual
>>
File: 66.jpg (42 KB, 316x377) Image search: [Google]
66.jpg
42 KB, 316x377
>>335059404
Bloodborne > DaS > DaS3 > DeS > DaS2

BTW I started with Demon's so no nostalgia here
>>
File: aaaa.jpg (30 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
aaaa.jpg
30 KB, 560x420
>>335060098
>>
File: bigleaguechew.png (57 KB, 400x389) Image search: [Google]
bigleaguechew.png
57 KB, 400x389
>>335059404
Dark Souls is the best one. It has the most flaws out of all of them aside from Dks2 but it's strengths outweigh them.
>>
>>335060049
Honestly I thought the grass was way better than Estus. I always had so much of it on me. My biggest complaint was the scraping spear and only because it actually downgraded weapons. If that one weapon was changed to only break gear without downgrading I would have actually participated in online play.
>>
>>335059404
>le It's Better Because It's Older Despite Having The Worst Mechanics meme
>>
>>335060049
Except in DeS
>rolling is completely overpowered
>most of the bosses are jokes
>unlimited healing items if you farm

It's really the easiest game of the series
>>
>>335059404
Demons Souls was unique for its time, as it was something largely new, you're probably just remembering that feeling when you turn it on again. Gameplay wise it is weaker than what came after it, and even bosses wise, there are a lot of overly simplistic or gimmick bosses in the game.

Still, it also had some of the more memorable moments and set piece bosses, like Dragon God, Storm King, or Maiden Astraea. None of them were even really boss fights, but they're all incredibly memorable.
>>
>>335060049

>farmable grass you can stack dozens off

It only makes very earlygame harder
>>
>>335059404
I still remember the first time I got invaded. I didn't even know you could invade in the game when I first started playing and some guy just came and fucked my shit up. It was glorious
>>
>>335059404
>What is it about Demon's Souls that make it so much better than all the Soulsborne titles that came after it by From Software?

Nostalgia
>>
>>335059854
nice moonlight butterfly, dukes archives, ash lake, bed of chaos, crystal caves, gaping dragon and 6/10 unfinished game

kill yourself my man
>>
>>335061986
Already have. I've died a lot in the Souls franchise.
>>
>>335062075
did a dinosaur ass kill you

wew lad
>>
>>335061251
having to farm in DeS was too important its less prevalent in DkS and is more enjoyble because of it
>>
>>335062160
I think I've died at least once to every type of enemy across multiple characters and games so yeah, most likely.
>>
>>335059404
Its atmosphere is unmatched by any Souls game to this day.
>>
>>335062364
Tower of Latria part 1 is amazing. Sen's Fortress comes second. The rest of Dark Souls is just a meme.
>>
objectively the right order:

BB > DeS > DaS2 > DaS3 > DaS

DaS was an incomplete piece of shit garbage rehash of DeS

and DaS3 was literal fanservice
>hey guys, remember artorias? these are his bodyguards :)))))
>hey guys, remember firelink shrine? well this is also called firelink shrine but its not exactly the same place :P

fuck off

DaS2 ranks higher for being unique and doing its own thing, and not having to rely on previous work to win fans over

that and also the fact that its packed with content
>>
>>335062506
First off, FUCK Sen's Fortress. I was one-attempting bosses and had over 50 humanity stacked, and never used a shield, all up until I hit that shithole. Second, that second place spot should go to The Catacombs.
>>
>>335059404
The unmatched atmosphere and the fact that it existed before "dark souls is so hardcore" meme
>>
>>335059404
DeS is all about the atmosphere and the NPCs. Something about the game paints a perfect depiction of hopelessness. Really feels like you're stuck in purgatory. The other souls games just don't have that.
>>
>>335059404
It had the most thought put into it. Lots of items and npcs in the later titles just sort of show up in random places without a narrative to follow, instead spaced with a sort of obvious developer hand in play to balance the item distribution. That's honestly the only thing it did better than the rest of the soulsborne games, but it was also the first of the series so it wasn't overhyped or played out when you tried it, thus all the memories are untainted.
>>
File: fd162 copy.jpg (94 KB, 754x758) Image search: [Google]
fd162 copy.jpg
94 KB, 754x758
because of better waifus
>>
>>335063426
dark souls 2 is also not as linear as any of the other games

3 is far too linear, but individual areas are nice
>>
World Tendency was a fucking stupid system.

And good luck getting pure white/pure black while online.
>>
>>335060338
>because it actually downgraded weapons
false
the scraping spear only damages item durability
>>
>>335060286
Yeah I agree.

I've been playing through Dark Souls 3 and it's just really frustrating and makes me want to go back to the first one.
>>
>>335059404
all the others are imitations.
>>
File: 1402227255384.jpg (140 KB, 1000x707) Image search: [Google]
1402227255384.jpg
140 KB, 1000x707
I personally like Dark Souls better.

For me its
DS>DS3>SoTFS>DeS>DS2
Bloodborne isnt in there because I feel its more of an offshoot branch and shouldnt be judged against the other titles. Don't get me wrong, I really love DeS, but it scores low because of the way world tendency works, and while the gameplay is great there are some designs and mechanics that were also bad, that were expanded on and fleshed out in Dark Souls. It still holds a special place in my heart however. Ill never forget fighting Allant.

Really the only game I didn't like was Dark Souls 2 and Scholar of the First Sin pretty much fixed everything I disliked about it. So much so that I wish DS3 took a few pages from it.
>>
File: 1459178721212.jpg (57 KB, 289x288) Image search: [Google]
1459178721212.jpg
57 KB, 289x288
>>335063426
I'm sorry, Dark Souls 2 is a joke.

You could put like 3 levels from DS2 together and it maybe just barely have the same size/complexity of a single area from DS3.

About 70% of the bosses are complete trash, like they can barely even be called mid bosses. Those Berserk dogs from 3 are way harder than a lot of bosses in 2, for example.

Your complaint about fan service is ridiculous, it is a direct sequel to Dark Souls 1, and all of this 'fan service' things you're complaining about actually have a reason to return. Because it's a sequel. What were you expecting? Okay maybe I might give you that they played it a bit safe and didn't go full Bloodborne on it, but I'm sure that is simply due to the negative fan reaction regarding a lot of aspects about DS2.

Ultimately, you're fucking retarded,

DaS3 > BB > DeS > DaS > DaS2
>>
>>335062247
>he is such a scrub he farmed for grass
go to world 5-1 and kill all of the rolling skeletons and go back and buy half moon grass from patches for 300 souls each. easy
>>
File: :).jpg (169 KB, 517x810) Image search: [Google]
:).jpg
169 KB, 517x810
>>335059404
DS1 = DeS > DS2 > DS3

DS1 and DeS are both phenomenal and I enjoy them both equally.

DS2 lacks in the animation department, sometimes in the graphics department and it's mechanically flawed.

DS3 has better animations and graphics than DS2, but the plot is uninteresting and mechanically, I'd argue it's not better than DS2. Enemies are a little too quick for your slow character in most cases, it suffers from bad magic scaling throughout most of the game and I cannot emphasise enough how much I dislike the STR + shield bias that this game is enforcing even harder than previous titles.

I've ended up spending less hours in DS3 than DS2, and that's considering DS2 wasn't even great. But really, play whichever Souls game you prefer.
>>
>>335063426
DaS3 only get's better as you go along throughout the game to be honest senpai.

It starts out strong, get's better at the middle, and get's even better late.

It's the only game that has a release I'd consider perfect without the DLC.

Bloodborne for me fell massively down in quality after amelia, the areas were unrewarding, uninteresting, samey, the nightmare areas in particular were incredibly disappointing, and the bosses less memorable and less fun.

Dark Souls 1 falls off after anor londo, none of the areas except new londo feel as invigorating as the first half.

DeS is just a lower quality game in most respects.
>>
>>335059404
Yeah man Demon's is my favorite too. Its world felt cohesive, consistent, and strongly characteristic. I feel like the later games all made concessions to the player for convenience, but DeS just did what was natural for its world. Stuff like the Tendencies, item burden, archstones only at bosses, the multiple "worlds" which were big and kept the same atmosphere throughout each one, etc.
I feel like since it was the first Souls game they had to put a lot more thought into what they put into the game since there wasn't a base they were building off of. So everything was made in relation to the world they devised, as opposed to being made to improve or alter a preexisting player experience. In other words, they were more focused on designing the game and its world as a whole rather than the player's experience with the game. I think that resulted in the world feeling more genuine and interesting.

>>335067434
>the areas were unrewarding, uninteresting, samey, the nightmare areas in particular were incredibly disappointing, and the bosses less memorable and less fun.
I feel the same.
>>
>>335059404
DeS unlike Fag Souls wasn't built off of recycled content, that's why.
>>
the brass set
>>
>>335059404
I recall someone pointing out that DeS is dark fantasy while DaS is just high fantasy and BB lends towards a modern setting. Dark fantasy just happens to synchronize better with the themes (both in a gameplay and narrative sense) of the Souls games.

W40K game made by Miyazaki when.
>>
>>335067139
4-1 has the skeletons
world 5 is the valley of defilement
>>
>>335069610
Tower of Latria makes it the best
>>
Demons souls is my least favorite of all the games. I have no desire to ever touch it again after my second play through.
>>
>>335064565
>one attempting
Finally someone who isn't a retard. I'm tired of aouls faggots using 'one shot' incorrectly.
>>
BB = DaS3 > Das1 = DeS > DaS2 = unfun

As much as I don't want to admit it, I think I like BB the most out of all the games, I just wish it was a tad less casul.
>>
File: 1343169494640.gif (1 MB, 256x229) Image search: [Google]
1343169494640.gif
1 MB, 256x229
I posted this same shit in a thread last night. Demon's Souls is my favorite Souls game by leaps and bounds, I've replayed it once a month since it's launch day, and I keep that up to this day. I've never played another souls game not even 1/4th of the time I've put into Demon's souls. With that being said though, I don't think it's actually the best Souls game.

DaS=BB>DeS>DaS3>>DaS2

The line between BB and DeS is really close imo, but I think because of the DLC and the length of DaS and BB is what put it ahead from just an objective perspective for me. I also really didn't enjoy DaS2. It was the only Souls game I've only played once, because the first playthrough had nothing about it that made me excited to play the game again, I found it very boring and extremely easy (although to be fair I found DaS3 very easy as well).
>>
File: stockpile-thomas.jpg (221 KB, 1175x670) Image search: [Google]
stockpile-thomas.jpg
221 KB, 1175x670
The NPCs are what really makes DeS special IMO.

>You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.
>>
>>335071403
Didnt he leave his wife and kid to die or something ???
>>
>>335071505
Yea he abandoned them when shit went down
>>
>>335072196
Should ve fought against Vanguard
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.