[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we kill this meme? It's overrated as fuck, just because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 36
File: 250px-OkamiNTSCcoverFinal.jpg (34 KB, 250x317) Image search: [Google]
250px-OkamiNTSCcoverFinal.jpg
34 KB, 250x317
Can we kill this meme?

It's overrated as fuck, just because it looks artsy, people think it's a masterpiece when it's dragged as fuck, it's a Zelda copy for Sony, the final boss is ridiculous and shit

Decent game, best in history? fuck no
>>
>>335057037
You have to remember that this came out in a time when people were pushing for Capcom to try something else other than Resident Evil and Street Fighter.

Believe me, I hated this game for all the required backtracking and shallow filler quests.
>>
I liked it.
>>
>>335057037
Its pretty good, shame its so easy.
>>
>>335057037
>best in history

I dont think I've ever seen anyone on here anything other than it was a simply great, yet flawed, game.
>>
>it's a Zelda copy for Sony

That's not Dark Cloud and Okami was also released on the Wii for your information.
>>
>>335057037
>it's a Zelda copy for Sony

I'm sick of this meme. It's not a Zelda clone, and it's not a "Sony game" just because it came out on PS2, it's a third-party game, and it was also on Wii.

I do think people tend to ignore the game's flaws though.
>>
>>335057037
(you)
>>
the second half is tedium personified. By the time all the backtracking starts up, you are supposed to be finishing up long term quests that the backtracking requires, but I found that I had already completed most of them. It just made the game a slog by the end.

Still an amazing game, and almost worth it for Issun's speech at the end. But if you told me you put it down after you beat 9tails for the first time I would still think you completed the game, thats how redundant the second half is.
>>
>>335057037
Hot opinions
Sure you aren't the anon who started that Super Metroid shitposting thread?
>>
>>335057037
Better than any non-N64 3D Zelda but still nowhere near Ocarina and Majora.

It only became popular because it was Sony exclusive.
Even if you somehow think the game actually is some timeless masterpiece, you'd have to be a deluded fanboy to try and say that the game isn't without heavy flaws.

the dungeons are complete shit compared to what you'd find in a real Zelda game. Issun is insanely annoying and ruins every puzzle before you even get to attempt them. The game has tons of blatant filler segments, about as much as Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword did.

And it was way too fucking long. 70 hours is far too much for a Zelda style action adventure game, especially when only 25 hours of that is actual quality content and not filler material.

game should have ended at the Ninetails.
>>
It's loved for the same reason Wind Waker is loved - style over substance.
>>
>>335057449
>It's not a Zelda clone
come on now
>>
>>335057449
It IS clearly a zelda clone, and stays so extremely in the zelda formula that the only thing seperating it was the artstyle. The wii version came out much later, its a straight port.

Its no coincidence that the next zelda after okami had link turning into a wolf in a bizarro world that was as unzelda as you could get. Nintendo thought it was a clone enough to want to ape it.
>>
I loved it

Suck my asshole
>>
>>335057037
No, you have shit taste.
It's quite an amazing game that really took an established formula we've gotten from LoZ's action/adventure and improved upon it in a multitude of ways while adding interesting characters and stories.
When it came out practically no one knew about it and it garnered acclaim all on it's own merits and the fact Clover was an amazing developer so people tend to go back over their library
>>
File: 1402275950293.jpg (63 KB, 389x500) Image search: [Google]
1402275950293.jpg
63 KB, 389x500
>>335057037
Agreed. I hate artsy hipster games .
If you like Shadow of the Colossus, Journey, Undertale, Brothers, Limbo, etc. you're a pretentious, fedora wearing permavirgin faggot.
>>
File: 1419295831267.png (90 KB, 280x320) Image search: [Google]
1419295831267.png
90 KB, 280x320
I fucking hate this zelda clone meme.
Have you guys never played any other adventure games with combat and riddles?
>>
>>335057037
It's a zelda clone that's better than most if not all zelda games
>>
>Zelda puzzle
>aquire item
>get one or two page brief description of item
>use item to get out of room you got it in to teach you its use

>Okami """""puzzle"""""
>get wind power
>come to village with giant ass windmill
>entire townspeople are complaining that there's no wind and their town is dying out
>talk to mayor
>gives big speech and then IF ONLY WE HAD (big ass red letters) SOME WIND!
>Issun goes HEHEH AMMY LOOKS LIKE IT'S TIME TO USE (big ass red letters) THAT POWER heheh
>game is locked until you use wind power

I have to wonder if Okami was made for literal fucking babies.
>>
I want neo-neo-/v/ to leave
>>
>>335057037
Games aren't memes man.
>>
>>335057037
>best in history
Literally no one says this about Okami, or really any platinum/clover game unless they think God Hand is the best game ever made (in which case they're right)

It's definitely the best Zelda game, though, and it's absolutely fucking beautiful. The PS3 remake is also gorgeous.
>>
>>335058051
well Mr Edge, what games do you like?
>>
>>335057735
Twilight Princess was better than Ocarina. So was Majora's Mask. Replay the games again without the nostalgia goggles, also TP's "fillers" were way better than Ocarina's "fillers". Even the fishing game in Ocarina is shit compared to TP. Not to mention Midna shits on Navi. I like all those games, I just hate contrarian edgelords who pretend TP is bad while worshipping Ocarina which is the most overrated game of all time.
>>
>>335058101
Adventure game with combat and riddles is exactly Zelda.

Unless you really expect us to start calling these games Hydlide clones.
>>
File: JamesonLaugh.png (231 KB, 798x327) Image search: [Google]
JamesonLaugh.png
231 KB, 798x327
>>335057987
>improved upon it in a multitude of ways
>>
>>335057037
>game literally no one ever talks about anymore
>is somehow overrated and a meme

nigger what
>>
>>335058304
>also TP's "fillers" were way better than Ocarina's "fillers"

Ocarina has what, the foot race with Dampe and maybe getting the Iron Boots? What other filler was there? There's maybe like 4 filler segments in the whole game while TP is a game that's literally 70% filler segments.

Fuck off with your shit special snowflake contrarian taste.
>>
>>335058330
Why though?
Zelda is just the most prominent example.
There are plenty of other titles, Okami being one of them.
>>
>>335058207
>It's definitely the best Zelda game

Hardly.

Every single gameplay element of Okami was done better in 3D Zeldas. The only advantage Okami has over them is it's artstyle and writing.
>>
Never liked it but naruto loving casualfag weeaboos ate it up
>>
Anybody who says it's the best Zelda is bullshitting and either never played Zelda or is a massive contrarian.

A Zelda game can't be good without good dungeons. Okami's 'dungeons' generally consist of less than 10 rooms and take at best 8 minutes to complete.
>>
>okami
>overrated

lol nope. That game sold like 200k copies. Okami is underrated as fuck
>>
File: 1459334514931.jpg (75 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
1459334514931.jpg
75 KB, 535x577
I'm ashamed to share an opinion with retards like OP but I couldn't get into it either.
>>
>>335058101
Describe a random 30 minute gaming session of zelda/Okami without using proper nouns, it will be the same description. Okami is a straight up zelda clone. Its a perfectly acceptable comparison. Just because zelda is seen as women tryhard gamercred, and you happen to like zelda, doesn't make zelda a bad series. OoT was/is considered a perfect game my many, more studios should ape its formula.
>>
>>335057836
>>335057909

The combat is nothing alike, the gameplay flow is nothing alike, the "dungeons" are nothing like Zelda dungeons and are basically hyper-linear gauntlets, etc. I don't know about you, but when I played Twilight Princess I didn't spend half my time drawing circles to sprout 4-leaf clovers and make trees bloom. What you do in Okami and what you do in any Zelda are extremely different, the similarities are superficial. They're both action-adventure games, and that's it.

>Its no coincidence that the next zelda after okami had link turning into a wolf in a bizarro world that was as unzelda as you could get. Nintendo thought it was a clone enough to want to ape it.

Are you fucking retarded? Don't answer that, of course you are. Unless Nintendo has the power of time travel, the dates simply do not add up. I don't know why this meme still persists when it can be disproved with a couple Google searches.
>>
>>335058584
Traversal is done better in Okami

Combat is done WAY better in Okami

Story is done better in Okami

Zelda puzzles are a bit more complex but that's about it.
>>
>>335058553
Zelda not only revolutionized and defined the genre in 2D, but also revolutionized and defined the genre in 3D as well.

It is the absolute example of the action-adventure game.
>>
>>335057037
>i don't like thing, it has to be a meme.
>>
>>335058051
kill urself my man
>>
>>335058101

It's because /v/ is full of dumb normies who think all action-adventure games are Zelda clones.

Honestly it'd be like calling all platformers Mario clones. Fucking stupid.
>>
>>335057362
>Dark Cloud

Confirmed for never playing Dark Cloud.
>>
It's a good game that got way too repetetive in the late game and honestly should've ended on the high note of defeating Orochi the FIRST time.

That said, I still wish there were a proper sequel, because this game had a lot of potential.
>>
>>335058878
not all action-adventure games are Zelda clones.

Devil May Cry can be considered an action-adventure game but is far from a Zelda clone.

Okami however is totally a fucking Zelda clone. It even has fucking fishing.
>>
I can't fucking stand that art style this particular dev team liked using, it's cluttered and lacking in clarity/contrast. Way too busy and ultimately, ugly since you have difficulty picking things out from the busy backgrounds. It's great on paper but terrible for a game, especially at lower resolutions.
>>
>>335057037
unplayable on wii as well. So blurry, and nauseatingly long, unskippable cutscenes full of babble talk.
>>
>that one puzzle where you have to cut down a potted tree so it becomes a spout, carry the spout to a set of scales then bloom the spout to make it grow into a full tree and weigh down the scale
and this is in one of the final areas, you have all sorts of bullshit powers yet they still sneak in a use for the early game powers.
singlehighhandedly better than every single puzzle in a zelda game
>>
>>335057449
Don't insult sony bra.
>>
>>335058726
>Story is done better in Okami
Maybe if you're Japanese.

Sorry faggot but I don't like spending 3 minutes just to read 5 sentences of text because the text crawl is so abysmally slow.

Story is shit in all games, Ocarina is the best 3D Zelda simply because it has the least story and most gameplay.
>>
>>335059048
>Devil May Cry can be considered an action-adventure game

Please stop talking. Jesus fuck you're stupid. Have you been the one making all these stupid posts? Please stop.
>>
>>335058482
>foot race with Dampe

Really? That's why Ocarina is better? Because of that? TP's minigames are objectively better and to say otherwise would just be contrarian. You're blinded by nostalgia. TP's weapons, armor, dungeons, bosses, characters, areas are better than Ocarina's.

Not as nostalgic, but if Twilight Princess came before Ocarina, you wouldn't be saying this shit. As a guy who played Ocarina on 3DS and TP on Wii U I can honestly say TP shits on it in every aspect. But if you want to be fedora wearing hipster contrarian to fit in with the rest of /v/ then whatever
>>
File: 75287658222.jpg (14 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
75287658222.jpg
14 KB, 240x320
It's always nice when summer starts. OP, I welcome you to 4chan. Have a good stay.
>>
>>335058726
>traversal is done better in Okami

How?

>combat is done WAY better in Okami

Hell no. It's different, yeah, but quickly grows tedious and unfun.

>Story is done better in Okami

Not a gameplay aspect.

>Zelda puzzles are a bit more complex but that's about it.

The dungeouns are better, the combat is faster and less restrictive, the arsenal is better, the difficulty is better (Okami is literally easier than any 3D Zelda game), etc.
>>
>Combat is done WAY better in Okami

They're the exact same brainless, mash-happy shit. Only Okami is slightly worse since all combat is clumsily instanced off from the rest of the game via encounter scrolls and stuff.
>>
>>335057037
Nintendo wishes they could make a Zelda as good as Okami.
>>
>>335058716
>I don't know about you, but when I played WindWaker I didn't spend half my time conducting the wind
>I don't know about you, but when I played Ocarina of Time, I didn't spend half my time playing an ocarina minigame
>I don't know about you, but when I played Majoras Mask, I didn't spend half my time spend half my time spend half my time

The brush tail was just the gimmick of this zelda game, Issun is just jobbing for Navi, Ammy is just as much a mute as Link, all your upgrades are just as doled out piecemeal as Zelda, you start out as a nobody in some bumfuck town but it turns out you are a hero destined to save the world. The way you progress and unlock new areas to progress is just like zelda.
>>
>>335059323
>combat is faster and less restrictive
>zelda
>>
>>335059414
And they got their wish multiple times.
>>
>>335058716

They are shitty ntards bro, they dont have any more games to compare, only the same shit nintendo does.
>>
Okami is a Zelda clone that had more charm and effort put into it than the last three Zelda games combined.
>>
>>335059282
Ocarina doesn't force you to do 2 hours of farming to get to the first dungeon.

it doesn't force you to do shitty wolf segments every time you reach a new area.

It doesn't require you to tediously collect fucking bugs every time you reach a new area.

It doesn't stop dead in its fucking tracks so it can tell a shitty story.

Ocarina just lets you play the fucking game because it's a good fucking game. Twilight Princess does not let you play the fucking game because it's a shitty fucking game.

Pacing matters in a game. Why should I spend 2 hours getting to the first dungeon in TP when I could be on the third dungeon in Ocarina at that point?
>>
>>335058113
this is the real meme
>>
>>335059169
>Ocarina is the best 3D Zelda because it has the least story and most gameplay

It's story is the most bland and uninteresting out of all the 3D zelda games and Navi is annoying as fuck. In terms of gameplay, pretty much every 3D Zelda that came after is superior. I'm sorry you're bitter and upset that the "Ocarina is best game evur!11!" meme is dying because people are realizing how overrated it is. Even Skyward Sword and Wind Waker which some people pretend to hate are leagues above Ocarina
>>
>>335057037
played it on wii, got bored, never beat it
People keep comparing it to zelda. But zelda is worth playing
>>
>>335058726
Zelda puzzles have never been complex. Ususally they're braindead easy, or they're braindead easy but take 30 minutes to do because of some stupid gimmick that makes you constantly backtrack to one room.
>>
>>335057037
Sleep tight, pupper.
>>
>>335059498
Zelda combat doesn't block you off from the rest of the world, and enemies can be taken down with more than just your basic sword.
>>
>>335058630
I just remembered how boring Ocarina's dungeons are for some reason
>>
File: 1435798792880.jpg (27 KB, 314x246) Image search: [Google]
1435798792880.jpg
27 KB, 314x246
>>335058051
>Shadow of the Colossus is an artsy hipster game
>>
>>335059602
And Okami's are somehow even more braindead easy.
>>
>>335059713
>Just your basic sword

In terms of a fighting arsenal, I'm pretty sure Okami is much more diverse. Especially with that weapon combination shit.
>>
>>335059582
>>335059582
>People keep comparing it to zelda. But zelda is worth playing
You make me laugh
I'd say the majority of games are good and maybe worth a playthrough but not all of them
>>
>>335059786
It isn't an artsy hipster game. It is THE artsy hipster game.
>>
kek at Okami having a wind gimmick power that's more interesting to use and more developed than Wind Waker - a game build around the theme of wind.
>>
File: 1420080115551.png (224 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
1420080115551.png
224 KB, 500x330
>>335058878
>using the term "normies" instead of "normalfags"
>>
>>335059323
>How is traversal better
It's faster, it's more varied (vines, lillypads, wind), and it's much prettier (the basic walk cycle changing and the flowers behind you etc.

>combat
If you find one weapon tedious then switch to another, one of the reasons Okami combat is so good is because it provides multiple approaches and weapon types.

>dungeons are better
I disagree
>combat is faster and less restrictive
that's just plain wrong. Okami is clearly faster and has many times more options in terms of how to fight an enemy.
>the arsenal is better
How so? In addition to the powers which are basically link's items Amaterasu gets THREE main weapons which all function totally differently
>>
>>335059498
Yes, that's what he said. Or are you memeing along with Arin Hansen that YOU HAVE TO WAIT SOOOO LONG
>>
>>335059827
It's more that Issun doesn't even let you do them because he explains to you in BIG ASS BOLD RED LETTERS what to fucking do before you even get to the puzzle.

For all the people who complain about Fi, Issun is legitimately the worst helper character in any Zelda game. He's got a one-note personality and hampers the gameplay far more than every Zelda character combined.
>>
>>335059836
Most of TP's items can be used as weapons as well. There's also the Hidden Techniques you can learn.
>>
It was a good game. I will agree it wasn't the best game in history, but it was the strongest Zelda-type game that we had seen a very long time. Hell, I enjoyed it way more than Twilight Princess which came out around the same time.

I think you're wrong in saying it's overrated, but to each their own.
>>
>>335059984
HEY LISTEN!
HEY LISTEN!
THERE IS A 100% PROBABILITY YOU ARE FAG!
>>
File: 1412177763493.jpg (48 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
1412177763493.jpg
48 KB, 500x369
when will the children go to bed so we can have a nice okami thread?
>>
>>335060137
Navi being annoying is the worst vidya meme
>>
I think the term refreshing is what I would call Okami, with its unique artstyle and setting.

Legend of Zelda for the most part has been the same game every single time, with largely the same items, but hey thats normal for a nintendo game. People just love buying the same thing over and over again I suppose.
>>
>>335060137
Navi almost never tells you how to solve a puzzle in the room you're in, she only tells you where you should go and what character you should meet to progress the main story.

She's also really not that annoying. She does that maybe once every 30 fucking minutes while Fi hits you every 3 minutes with some bullshit about your batteries.
>>
>>335060172
When you fags stop trying to make it about Zelda.

Y'all have adventure game penis envy.
>>
File: 1460202972662.jpg (66 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1460202972662.jpg
66 KB, 500x377
>>335059876
How? I'm curious.
>>
File: 1370506274809.jpg (16 KB, 500x558) Image search: [Google]
1370506274809.jpg
16 KB, 500x558
>WIIIIEEEEW ITZ A SONY GAAAEEEEM
Can you consolewar shitters ever fuck off?
>ZELDA CLONE
It was partly inspired by Kamiya's love for the the series.
>SONY GAME SONY GAME SONY GAME
It's not even made by Sony. Going by that, I'm sorry you never got to/ never will own a PS1 or PS2 just because of your brand loyalty, for they both have an incredible library.
>>
>>335060367
when it first came out everyone was creaming their pants going HURR BEST GAME EVER MADE and OMG GAMES ARE FINALLY ART, IT'S OVER

It came out at the exact time people wanted an artsy fartsy game and were tired of rehashed FPS and JRPGs.
>>
Can we kill the meme that is OP?
>>
>>335057037
I would never call it GOAT or anything, but its plenty above average. Also every game that has dungeons with puzzles isn't a Zelda clone.
>>
>>335060520
Then what are they?
>>
File: 1457775643268.jpg (185 KB, 500x445) Image search: [Google]
1457775643268.jpg
185 KB, 500x445
The game is so underrated that it got glowing reviews and still sold poorly.
>>
File: 1424029976685.jpg (25 KB, 333x318) Image search: [Google]
1424029976685.jpg
25 KB, 333x318
>>335060452
Implying people aren't still tired of FPSs and JRPGs.
>>
>>335057037
It's Zelda with an interesting core mechanic that flows well with the game setting and role of the player.

The game is gorgeous too, has a very unique atmosphere and mood.
The same people who made Viewtiful Joe and God Hand made this, that's also why it's so impressive.
>>
>>335057037
I honestly prefer it over most Zelda games. I liked the setting and the aesthetic a lot. Combat was nothing amazing, but certainly serviceable but still deeper than any Zelda which still isn't that in depth
>>
>>335060436
Okami was supposed to also be on the gamecube the wii and nintendo quickly dropping support on the cube were the reasons why the final version was never ported.
>>
>>335057037
Fucking this
>fights are bland and boring
>paintning is fun only first two hours
>areas all are the same
>exploring dont give you satisfaction and rewards
>jokes are stupid plot is meh
>voices(i mean that mumble) are annoying
>artstyle is good but its not enough to save the game
>>
>>335059931
>It's faster, it's more varied (vines, lillypads, wind), and it's much prettier (the basic walk cycle changing and the flowers behind you etc.

It's no more fast or varied than the typical 3D Zelda game, save for maybe Wind Waker. Art-style is completely subjective.

>If you find one weapon tedious then switch to another, one of the reasons Okami combat is so good is because it provides multiple approaches and weapon types.

Hey, just like Zelda. Except Zelda doesn't feel the need to separate you from the world when you engage an enemy.

>I disagree

Nice argument.

>How so? In addition to the powers which are basically link's items Amaterasu gets THREE main weapons which all function totally differently

Not only are their the items, but there's the hidden techniques you can learn, as well as things like rolling leading into a stab for faster approaches. You're also given the option for ranged item attacks because the world isn't cut off from you like a certain other game.
>>
>>335060637
>God Hand

when will this meme go away?
As someone who plays CUHRAYZEE all the fucking time, God Hand is complete shit.

It's unpolished, ugly, stupid, and poorly designed. LET'S PUNISH THE PLAYER FOR BEING GOOD AT THE GAME BY RAPING HIM WITH DEMONS. LET'S HAVE RNG MECHANICS IN A SKILL BASED ACTION GAME. LET'S HAVE THE FUCKING RE4 CAMERA IN A GODDAMN BEATEMUP. LET'S HAVE SHIT CONTROLS WHERE L1 IS THE GODDAMN QUICKTURN.

I honestly ended up just playing the game for the story and characters, which are actually really fun and worthwhile, but the gameplay is awful.
>>
>>335060884
>It's no more fast or varied than the typical 3D Zelda game
Show me a zelda that has four different main weapons and not only a sword and gimmick items with one attack
>>
>>335060986
>as someone who plays CUHRAYZEE all the fucking time
Stopped reading here. You and that whole general need to take a lead aspirin.
>>
>>335061043
I was referring to traversal with that statement. Read the entire post next time.
>>
>>335060986
>RAPING HIM WITH DEMONS
>he can't handle 3 demons at once
tip top kek and you claim to play CUHRAYZY games? Pathetic.
>>
>>335058878
I have a friend that thinks that every platformer is a Mario ripoff, I want to stab him
>>
>>335058101

Imagine this board's reaction if some made a remake of Adventure
>>
>>335061181
I do. Considering how DMC3, Bayonetta, and NGB are considered the cream of the crop, I always figured CUHRAYZEE was about top tier polished to a mirror sheen action games, not clunky bizarre shit like God Hand.
>>
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 373x470) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 373x470
>/v/ likes something
>people realize this and play it expecting the citizen Kane of video games
>get disappointed when they realize it's just a fun video game and not a masterpiece 10/10
>feel the need to shitpost immensely about how /v/ lied to them meme this meme that blah blah

Who fucking cares
>>
>>335061223
as long as they still had the crazy ostrich ducks as enemies.
>>
>>335060452

That doesn't make it a hipster art game

The game is literally a boss rush game. It forces the player to learn it's mechanics, and then use those mechanics to tackle a variety of bosses. Nothing about it is holding your hand or pretentious about it like your typical art game trash. You have to play the game, learn to play by its rules and adapt.

SotC is a good game with a decent story and presentation set up to mask the fact that you're really just playing Wily Castle Stage 4
>>
When does this game get good exactly? I just got to the cheerful village and I'm already bored.
>>
>>335061878
Actually the beginning of the game is the best part kek
>>
>>335061719
Traversing its large, empty world gives a nebulous sense of vastness, but that openness feels like a gaping hole after you have to revisit it time after time. If the developers somehow made the player interact with the colossi at a distance...
>>
I was really hoping this thread was just going to go into a positive Okami thread because we rarely have them.

Instead its hating on good games. Fuck you /v/
>>
>>335058051
Don' t cut yourself on all that edge, you might need it for your wrists.
>>
It's good but it really is a Zelda clone and personifies all the characteristics that people harp on Zelda games for these days.

>retardedly long intro, like holy shit get to the point
>incredibly annoying and intrusive companion character
>handholding and unnecessary dialogue out the asshole
>puzzles and combat a literal babby would have no trouble with
>obnoxious, unnecessary backtracking
>tons of boring filler and open empty spaces to traverse
>tedious minigames
>simplistic, anticlimactic story

And yet for some reason I still like to play these games. It's honestly baffling to me how easily manipulated my retarded monkey brain is by this Zelda subgenre. Is it the exploration element? The basic "feel" of the gameplay? The art style? The sense of progression? Fuck if I know. Why do I like this shit when every individual aspect is at best mediocre?
>>
>>335062168
>SotC needed trash mobs

My favorite meme
>>
>>335060986
>Hating on God Hand

You don't deserve to have free thought with an opinion as shit as that.
>>
File: Mfw7.jpg (44 KB, 556x519) Image search: [Google]
Mfw7.jpg
44 KB, 556x519
>>335062303
Where did I say that faggot?
>>
>>335060986
>implying fighting more enemies is a punishment and not a reward
>>
>>335062168

You have a game called Titan Souls that removes the nebulous sense of vastness.

Why don't people just leave SoTC alone then?
>>
>>335062268
>>simplistic, anticlimactic story

Simplistic sure, but the final boss was perfectly climatic. Losing all your powers and getting them back one by one, the scene where Issun saves you by restoring the peoples faith, the fact that you're fighting the personification of darkness aboard a spaceship that fell to earth from heaven. All those things made for a pretty good ending, though I admit the lack of difficulty could make the fight tedious for some.
>>
>>335062643
Let me be more clear. You know how you have to hold up your sword to find the colossi? More mechanics like that.
>>
>>335057037
You don't like it and that's okay.

It's by dar the best Zelda game though.
>>
>>335057037
>zelda copy for sony
>is on the wii

God I hate you fucking faggots.
>>
Capcom has been responsible for all the best Zelda games
>>
>>335062303
SotC needed more interesting and challenging topography and landmarks so it's not just a case of riding a horse to the boss zone.

I mean I like the game a lot but nigga it's fucking dull and empty as shit most of the time. Give me some artsy fart excuse about how it's like Tarkovsky and the emptiness builds meaning or whatever but fuck you, I want more meaning to the world than it's a weird empty place where colossi and a demon hang out and apparently some civilization lived there long ago but who cares now.
>>
>>335062998
>>335062810
this is my favorite meme
>>
>>335062998
I fucking love capcom. Sure they're jews like everyone else, but they keep making fresh IPs that range from decent to great instead of milking cows dry. Although I heard sf V was shit but I don't play fighting games anyways
>>
>>335062303
No, but riding around the brown and bloom generic wasteland through a bunch of tiny hallways searching for a monster with a shit compass is nothing more than bad filler.

it adds nothing but unnecessary tedium to the game.
>>
>Give me some artsy fart excuse about how it's like Tarkovsky and the emptiness builds meaning or whatever but fuck you,

No, fuck you. If you want to be spoonfed lore, then there are games out there for you.

SoTC was never about the journey but the destination. A rare glimpse where you know how fruitless your actions were despite the magnitude. The environment reflected that. Beating the bosses reflected that. The corpse of your dead love was reflective of that.

It wasn't about exploring the world. It was capturing obsession to do anything for true love and its devastating consequences.
>>
>>335062998
Oracle of Seasons is great
Oracle of Ages is shit

Okami and Minish Cap are both overrated.
>>
>>335057037
Do you even know what a meme is retard?
>>
>>335063587
people say Shadow of the Colossus isn't pretentious but fucking look at posts like this
lol
>>
>>335063731
>Symbolism is pretentious

I bet you don't like how Dark Souls handles lore either.
>>
>>335063827
Anybody who cares about Dark Souls lore is an autistic fucking faggot. Only play for the gameplay and experience.
>>
>>335062681
Yami is the shittiest final boss design ever, though. It's literally just a ball. And then it becomes one of those fucking stale as shit hand bosses. A complete disappointment after Ninetails. THAT felt like a fucking final boss battle.
>>
>>335063962

So you're not allowed to enjoy the carefully handcrafted world or its characters?

What makes up an experience, you fucking idiot? It includes the gameplay and the immersion through words, music, and interaction.

I'm just going to dismiss you as a troll if you can't refute any argument.
>>
>>335064075
It's fine to enjoy the atmosphere and characters, but caring about the fucking lore and making entire youtube videos out of it is beyond retarded, it's as fucking dumb as the people who speculate about Zelda lore.
>>
File: 1461084144483.jpg (77 KB, 303x321) Image search: [Google]
1461084144483.jpg
77 KB, 303x321
I already knew about the fake ending when I played it, but I was so sure the Nine Tails was going to be the final boss.

>mfw it kept going
>>
>>335063587
Fuck you, SotC has no goddamn lore besides what's presented directly through the narrative, don't pretend it does. It's a bland and empty world.

>A rare glimpse where you know how fruitless your actions were despite the magnitude. \

Nigga that don't make no goddamn sense. I murdered the colossi. I resurrected the waifu. I became the demon babby. That shit ain't fruitless. Are you saying the entire ending of the game is some kind of hackneyed bullshit that contradicts the game's TRUE meaning?
>>
>>335064293

lol fucking idiot can't into interpretation
>>
>>335063731
>>335063962
>if a game is presented subtly, it's pretentious!
The references are there for a reason. It's your choice to care about them or not, but don't come here and say everyone who cares about more than the gameplay is an autist.
>>
>>335064262
>mfw it was the worst part of the game besides the intro
>>
What a shitty fucking thread. Fuck all of you. You are a buncha prudes.
>>
>>335057037
you make a good point op
>>
>>335064382
To me it's about as retarded as someone playing Castlevania 1 and speculating on why a medusa statue head was the second boss and who she's related to.
>>
>>335057735
i bought the game for the wii and dropped it after a few hours. the game was so tedious and boring and slow. i just don't see what others do in it. and the paintbrush mechanic barely works
>>
>>335057037
So what boss did you get stuck on that caused to you make this thread?
>>
>>335063964
I thought Yami was cool as fuck with all the transformations and the whole gaining back your powers shit.
I could have done without the boss rush leading up him though
>>
>>335064560
Holy shit do you think every game is the fucking same?

And you're calling US autists?
>>
>>335064629
I finished this game back in 2008 or something senpai
>>
File: Solar-eclipse.jpg (8 KB, 510x341) Image search: [Google]
Solar-eclipse.jpg
8 KB, 510x341
>>335063964
>It's literally just a ball
Well, yeah.
>>
>>335060367
the game relies on its atmosphere and art style to carry it. the colossus fights were finnicky with a god awful camera and terrible input delay. it's like the game prioritizes its animations over actual player control. i enjoyed the game for what it was but it wasn't the revelation everyone claims it to be. it's also lacking in content.
>>
>>335064618
The first few hours are the worst part. It gets better.

Also holy shit, don't even try to play it with motion controls, just emulate the PS2 version. Literally the only Wii port I know that managed to add anything to the experience was RE4 because you could play it like an action adventure House of the Dead and that shit's insanely fun.
>>
>>335064642
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QefHJsfFvwU

Fucking hype
>>
>>335064731
Sure you did
>>
>>335057909
Weren't they being developed at the same time though?
>>
>>335064773
COOL SYMBOLISM, MAYBE AMATERASU SHOULD BE A BALL TOO BECAUSE SHE'S THE GODDESS OF THE SUN

NOW WAIT THAT'S A SHIT DESIGN? NEVERMIND THEN, LET'S COME UP WITH SOMETHING LESS GARBAGE INSTEAD
>>
>>335064936
lol
>>
>>335057037
It's better than Zelda with an art style the pisses on wind waker monochromatic sky that blends in with the same monochromatic ocean
>>
File: Tohenboku.png (455 KB, 643x532) Image search: [Google]
Tohenboku.png
455 KB, 643x532
>Story full of japanese tales and cliche
>most loveable characters i've seen in a long time
>beautiful graphics for it's release, cell shading still makes it playable for generations
>most beautifull art design ever
>the music was phenomenel
I mean, come one, you have to be a retard with no sensual joy to hate this.

And being easy is not a real complaint for this genre and the target group they where heading, fampais, or do you consider Legend of Zelda hard?

and Susano basically pulled a Mr. Satan at the end, similar like in Dragonball against Buu, i teared up a little
>>
>>335064991
Yeah, it was really just a huge coincidence.

TP>Okami
>>
>>335062268
I'm with you, Zelda is has all that, and still I find myself having fun playing them.
ALBW solved most of these problems, showing how good those games could be without them.
And let's be honest, I don't think Aonuma or Nintendo try to solve them and just can't. For some reason they seem to deliberately INCLUDE those flaws in the games, and I never understood why.
>>
>>335057037
It's my favorite game actually.
>>
>>335057037
>Can we kill this meme?
How old are you ?
>>
>>335065170

There is nothing wrong with a game being easy if its not insultingly easy.

I wish people understood that.

Paper Mario 1 and 2 aren't the hardest games in the world. Are we gonna hate them now?
>>
>>335057037

>Current Year
>Shitting on Okami

Why is this happening. Who's flying this plane?
>>
>>335065170
>praises everything except the gameplay

This is why Zelda is better in every way.
>>
Okami is charming but has unbelievably bad pacing, completely shit dungeons that had no effort put into them, puzzles that are always explained to you before you do them, and way too much fucking talking.
>>
>>335065065
Please stop having a fit.
>>
>>335065152
>It's better than Zelda

It's literally not though and I wish this meme would die. It's better than Skyward Sword at best. It's a pretty game to be sure but it's just not very clever in its design. It's very stale and derivative.
>>
>>335065842
Come up with a less dumb argument next time, faggot.
>>
>>335065847
We know you didn't play the game. Stop pretending.
>>
>>335065956
Wasn't arguing with you, spaz.
>>
While on topic, does anyone have the tattoo picture of that anon, that has amy on his back, but in traditional japanese yakuza tattoo style. Googled for a while but couldn't find it.
you wouldn't believe how many people have an Okami tattoo, holy shit whats going on
>>
>>335065502
underage idiots who have no idea what makes a game good
>>
File: Chris-Straw.jpg (12 KB, 233x204) Image search: [Google]
Chris-Straw.jpg
12 KB, 233x204
>>335065972
EVERY TIME
>>
>>335065531
The gameplay is pretty solid, enemy design is as interesting as the world (monkeys spanking on their asses to provoke you), but once you got them down, it's as easy as Zelda.

Zelda gameplay isn't complicated or deep, if you wanted to imply that with your one-liner. Educate me, senpai
>>
File: 1437849777086.gif (94 KB, 514x510) Image search: [Google]
1437849777086.gif
94 KB, 514x510
>>335066157
>I know, I'm retarded but if I keep calling them autistic, then I'll show them I'm not retarded!

Go play Okami, faggot.
>>
>>335066052
That explains Okami's cult following pretty succinctly.
>>
>>335066157
Are you OP? I am curious, why on earth does the fact that people enjoy a game make you so mad that you feel the need to create a thread about it?
>>
>>335066052
>>335065502
They probably didn't play on release.

Some games age pretty bad, see those Star Fox reviews. As i've heard, the game is a remake of an old game, so it should play like it, because thats what fans of the series would want.
>>
File: 1445092110707.gif (500 KB, 470x296) Image search: [Google]
1445092110707.gif
500 KB, 470x296
>>335066157

Sup, OP, glad to catch you. How retarded are you on a scale of obviously to very?
>>
>>335066224
Did I find myself in a Bloodborne thread? Do I need to post my copy and a timestamp to criticize a game's design?
>>
Is style over substance acceptable in videogames, /v/?
>>
File: 1444596953200.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1444596953200.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>335066469
lol, did you actually hate on Bloodborne, too? I can see that.

If you literally can't back up why a game is stale and derivative then you might as well be equatable to pointing a vegetable and saying its yucky, you tasteless fuck.
>>
>>335066562

Yes?

Its almost like video games are a medium like anything else and it matters about execution or something.
>>
>>335057362
>Dark Cloud
>Anything like Zelda

What the actual fuck? Is this bait?
>>
>>335066562
Well if it wouldn't be in movies, Quentin Tarantino would be homeless.
>>
>>335066562
/v/ loves morrowind and dragons dogma, so sure
>>
>>335066650
Nigger how is the game's design not stale and derivative? It has all the classic hallmarks of Zelda design even Zelda gets shit for nowadays.

>have to clear the field area before being able to access dungeons and towns
>dungeons are full of braindead puzzles and designated combat rooms where you have to kill everything to progress
>obnoxious fetch quests block progress at area checkpoints
>pointless minigames shoehorned into main story progression
>simplistic combat system that takes a completely inordinate amount of focus from the game for how shallow it is
>lock-key ability design ie bombs blow up rocks, wind powers windmills, etc

I could go on. It's still a good game, but goddamn, can't anyone say anything critical of it without people shitting their pants?

And I didn't hate Bloodborne, but it was pretty mediocre before the Old Hunters expansion.
>>
>>335057037
You could make this thread every day for months.
That will surely do the trick.
>>
>>335057037
No, but you can kill yourself, it'll help bro
>>
>>335057037
>the final boss is ridiculous and shit

Says you.
>>
>>335066372
>le being old means it can't possibly be bad meme

I hate this
>>
>>335068442
You're the fucking idiot for believing games that are older aren't worth playing. Okami isn't liked because it's old, its liked because it's a good game.

Now fuck off.
>>
File: 1qzma4ho1_400.jpg (38 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1qzma4ho1_400.jpg
38 KB, 400x400
>>335058304
>Twilight Princess was better than Ocarina
>>
>>335068680
when did I ever said that autistic fuck rofl
>>
File: y8y6G6qh.jpg (127 KB, 1024x705) Image search: [Google]
y8y6G6qh.jpg
127 KB, 1024x705
>>335057037

Zelda is shit though, so, who cares?.
>>
>>335068214
Come on, anon, it was pretty shit.

>and the demons and angels came from space and are being controlled by a magical pokeball

I fought Orochi three times for this?
>>
>>335057037
>Decent game, best in history? fuck no

Says you.
>>
File: doom.png (7 KB, 204x127) Image search: [Google]
doom.png
7 KB, 204x127
>that faggot who hates Zelda but loves Okami
>>
>>335068830
>tfw I will never be as mentally retarded as you

feels good man
>>
>>335068908

Just because you didn't like Yami's design doesn't mean it was shit. Besides, the idea of him being a pipsqueak using a machine was a genius way of showing that evil can come in more than just monstrous forms.

And it's not angels, just demons. Not any stranger than a man "giving birth" to gods because he fucking washed his face.
>>
>>335061976
Damn. I don't know, I just had high expectations for this game because it's always so praised not only by people on this board. I think it's a case of "being unique and interesting for its time", but clearly boring and even annoying nowadays.
>>
>>335069189
But TP was worse than OOT

I don't care that TP had objectively better dungeons and better combat. Just give me my nostalgic memegame.
>>
File: 1380124555487.gif (1 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1380124555487.gif
1 MB, 300x168
>shitposting about Okami

>mfw people say /v/ isn't the worst noncontainment board.
>>
>>335057037
i love the game and all but my only gripe would be it drags on for too long and right when you beat the game NOPE you only halfway there son anso you have to fight the same dragon boss 3 fucking times
>>
>>335068442
Well you stated it's bad, or did you just imply it could be bad, while it isn't? What game are we playing here, anon?
>>
>>335059169
all of the oogaboogs speak is annoying when the text pops up i know its to add personality to each character but seriously fuck that annoying shit
>>
>>335059664
some one post the mirrored box art that makes it look like shes is spreading her ass with two tails
>>
Is Japanese mythology uninteresting, or did Okami just do a bad job of representing it?
>>
>>335057037
i liked the game in all of its clone-ness
>>
>>335070543
do you know how to read?
>>
File: 1461266923627s.jpg (83 KB, 197x250) Image search: [Google]
1461266923627s.jpg
83 KB, 197x250
>>335070890
found it
>>
File: 86528.jpg (18 KB, 400x299) Image search: [Google]
86528.jpg
18 KB, 400x299
Okami is one of my top favorite games, and I like Zelda.

Fight me faggot. My opinion won't change because someone doesn't like similarities and thinks every game should be special snowflake from another.
>>
>>335069792
>shitpost endlessly about Zelda games
>expect the shitposting not to bleed over into Zelda clones

You asked for this.
>>
>>335057037
the ps3/wii game was flawless a nice adventure romp but the one on DS was absolute linerar shit with a fan fic story
>>
File: images (7).jpg (15 KB, 192x263) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
15 KB, 192x263
>Zelda clone

By what logic? Is every game that suddenly features dungeons with puzzles a zelda clone?

is God of war a Zelda clone now?
is Portal a Zelda clone?
Metroid?
Castlevania?

Doom has keycards, is Doom suddenly classified as a zelda clone now? Its a dungeon, and you need keys to advance.

Oh, and FYI. if you're really going to pull the clone card, Zeldas a clone too sweetie. Don't act like its innovative and new to the world.
>>
>>335059031

I disagree, I think that because the game didn't end at orochi is what made it stand out to me. when I finished okami I was like "damn, now THAT was a game" it was an adventure, yes it could get repetitive but you don't need to play the whole thing in one sitting. it felt complete and then some.
>>
>>335071931

He wasn't shitposting about Zelda, moron
>>
File: 1456409954181.jpg (37 KB, 419x600) Image search: [Google]
1456409954181.jpg
37 KB, 419x600
>>335057037
I don't like the art style but I still think it's a great game. Eat shit buddy.
>>
File: 4fe.png (45 KB, 167x227) Image search: [Google]
4fe.png
45 KB, 167x227
>>335073020
how much of a faggot do you gotta be to argue okami isn't basically a zelda game

it doesn't transcend the zelda formula in any way
>>
>>335073812
>Beat em up segmented arena combat instead of open hack and slash
>Enemies have HP and levels
>Brush powers
>No helpful items other then three weapon trees
>Keys are a staple of verey video game ever, if locked doors are your argument then you need to play more vidya.
>Blockhead

Explain to me the zelda likeness again? I don't see it. And if all you're referencing is wolf link in TP, then grow the fuck up.
>>
>>335074207
>game is organized into hub world that branches into dungeon crawler levels where you gain gimmick abilities to advance the dungeon which in turn opens up new areas in the hub world, every dungeon concludes with a boss
>gain new weapons and upgrades throughout the world, hub world also has side quests
>paced hack and slash combat against hordes of evil magic minions all throughout
>gimmick abilities play a role in combat strategy
The game is like Zelda in a broad way. The details are where it's very different.
>>
>>335074207
>Beat em up segmented arena combat instead of open hack and slash
This is literally the only significant mechanical difference and it's arbitrary as fuck. Literally all that happens is walls drop down and you fight enemies in the field.
>Enemies have HP and levels
Like Zelda.
>Brush powers
Literally the items of Okami. Shit you literally draw bombs.
>No helpful items
See above
>Keys are a staple of verey video game ever, if locked doors are your argument then you need to play more vidya.
It's not the keys, it's the dungeon design, like holy shit it's the same.
>Blockhead
Literally a stupid minigame. Did you forget the fishing minigame?
>>
>>335074853
If you generalize it as fuck sure, but that description works for almost any video game out there.

"Hub world"

What, like Hyrule field? How is okami a hub world, did you even play beyond chapter 1?

ITs broken into 4/5 different "fields" throughout the game, and none of which are hubs, they're just p[art of the world. And I'd hardly call the forest and ark of yamato a "hub"

Hyrule field is a hub, it connects everything with no deviations, you don't enter Hyrule field -> West field -> Destination.

The only distinct similarities are the fact that there are dungeons, and a closed off world with boundries. Everything else is majorly different for better or worse.

>>335075192
>Enemies have HP and Levels
>Like zelda

Good to know you've never played a Zelda game then.
>>
>>335075192
You heard it here folks,. GTA is a zelda clone! It has a hub world!
>>
>>335075503
Are you stupid or something? There are stronger versions and recolors of enemies in Zelda. Not every enemy dies in one hit. That's literally levels and HP.
>>
>>335075691
Theres also stronger versions and recolors in Dragon quest and final fantasy, Gasp! did they clone zelda too? The fiends!
>>
>>335075592
Did I magically get transported back in time to 2008? This issue has been settled for nearly a fucking decade. Okami is majorly inspired by Zelda. It takes mechanics from Zelda. It aspires to similar tone and pace as Zelda. Fucking Kamiya, the director of the damn game, cited Zelda as his primary inspiration.

what the fuck is even god fuck you
>>
File: download (11).jpg (6 KB, 233x216) Image search: [Google]
download (11).jpg
6 KB, 233x216
>>335075994
>I'm right because some one else settled it ages ago

Ages ago isn't now and thats a cowardly way of running from the debate. Man the fuck up and post your defense or else you have nothing to stand on, and your thread is nothing but a shitpost. Men believe in their convictions and follow them to the end. Prove to me that you're a man.

Or pass me off with one of your silly bait images, but know that when you do, You'll only prove me right in the end, and you;'ll be nothing more then a coward like the rest of 4chan.
>>
If I'm emulating what's the best version to play now?
>>
>>335076531
Wii

Motion controls add an experience to the game. People will say otherwise because of their raging hateboner for motion controls, but Okami is one of the few that actually does them right.
>>
File: okami.webm (1 MB, 828x466) Image search: [Google]
okami.webm
1 MB, 828x466
>>335076625
Okami on the wii emulates poorly though unless that has changed. It looks kind of weird too.

You're right about motion controls though.
>>
>>335057037
Why are you so bothered that people like a video game? We're all here because we like a video game.

Just let people like their video games, OP.
>>
>>335076419
What part of "the game's director has said he copied Zelda" do you not understand?
>>
>>335075503
>If you generalize it as fuck sure, but that description works for almost any video game out there.
In this case, it's just specific enough that the parallels are there between Zelda and Okami to call them similar.

>What, like Hyrule field? How is okami a hub world, did you even play beyond chapter 1?
I played the entire game twice, and thoroughly.

>ITs broken into 4/5 different "fields" throughout the game, and none of which are hubs, they're just p[art of the world. And I'd hardly call the forest and ark of yamato a "hub"

Hyrule field is a hub, it connects everything with no deviations, you don't enter Hyrule field -> West field -> Destination.
Yes you do. You literally do just that. Zelda's hub world is broken up into major sections that lead to dungeons. Hyrule Field, Castle Town, Kokiri Forest, Death Mountain, Zora's Domain, Gerudo Desert, these are directly comparable to the Shinshu Field, Seian City, Hana Valley, Ryoshima Coast, Kamui, etc. Ark of Yamato is actually similar to Ganondorf's dungeon from Wind Waker.
>>
>>335076625

Some say otherwise because the original controls were fun enough as they were.
>>
>>335071486
neither fucker. Japanese mythology is pretty interesting and Okami did a okay job with it. Granted it was not exactly like the stories but they were damn close.
>>
File: party shading.webm (2 MB, 954x538) Image search: [Google]
party shading.webm
2 MB, 954x538
>>335071486
it only very briefly delved into the mythology, using the art as characters and little else about it. notice how you only meet the brush gods for like 20 seconds.
Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.