[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After 6 hours of playing Dark Souls grudgingly, I finally got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5
File: Frampt02.jpg (353 KB, 663x715) Image search: [Google]
Frampt02.jpg
353 KB, 663x715
After 6 hours of playing Dark Souls grudgingly, I finally got hooked.
Played a further 19 hours of it this week alone.
Did anyone else have trouble getting into DaS? What part hooked you?
Also Kingseeker Frampt scared the shit out of me when I first saw it.
>>
I definitely did, I tried to play demons souls when it first came out, but hated it. So I skipped DaS and DaS2. A buddy of mine got bloodborne and I loved it. So I gave the souls games a retry. Now its one of my favorite series.
>>
I had trouble because fucking game didn't work on my computer, even with dsfix
So i started with DS2 and loved it, then went to DS1 and liked it even more
Now i can like both of them unlike the faggots here
>>
i never played a game like DaS before so pretty much everything. don't worry though there are a lot of 'bottlenecks' in this game where you can lose interest or give up in frustration.
>>
File: 1433808818455.jpg (36 KB, 529x566) Image search: [Google]
1433808818455.jpg
36 KB, 529x566
I first played it on the 360 but I was a butt hurt retard who went into it with the wrong mindset. I tried it a year later on PC and realized pretty quickly that I had just been a baby last time. became one of my favorite games

I'm an idiot
>>
Honestly watching a lets play and getting the meme drake sword. Go ahead be mad
>>
I like the game, but not knowing much of the story keeps from from finishing the game. As far as I know I'm a chosen undead who is tasked with either relighting the flame or snuffing it out.

My last attempt to beat the game I got the tomb of the giants and stopped playing. How far was I from completing the game?
>>
I was hooked pretty instantly
felt like I was on a true adventure, like playing OoT for the first time as a kid
>>
>>335054328
pretty far, in one direction

you can get to the tomb without beating O&S but you can't finish it. did you beat them?
>>
>>335054324
I made a thread when I started asking for tips and got the drake sword, realised it's pretty much hated by people who've actually played the game
>>
until you finally land at firelink shrine, the game is a steaming pile of double ass

its is so aesthetically repulsive and bland up till that point, like someone decided to intentionally remake quake1 as poorly as possible

and then firelink happens and you realize they intend to take some of their visual design seriously

in a way, this is very characteristic of the series

you must fight the game until it grudgingly decides to reward you
>>
>>335054328

tomb of giants is a giant pain in the ass. on my 3rd play through i finally tried it with the sun mask and it was so much easier being able to see without a torch
>>
>>335053740
Have you played through demon souls now though? I don't know whether to go for that or dark souls 2 next. I hear mixed things about both.
>>
>>335054549
O&S? You mean Ornstein and I forget the other guys name, but he uses the lighting spear I think? Yeah I beat them after getting my shit pushed in about 20 times. Felt satisfying beating them and getting the lance afterwards.

Honestly love the game play in the games. It's just having to go lore hunting online to know what's going on at that point in the game that turns me off it.

I can't complain about not knowing which way to go either, because the enemies that severely fuck you up let you know right away.

The skeletons in the graveyard by firelink are a perfect example. First time playing and I tried going through there. Got fucked up without hitting them once. Manage to hit them once and notice little to no damage, get fucked once again. It occurs to me that perhaps I'm not meant to go down that route just yet.
>>
>>335054804
that grungy/shitty style of old western rpgs appealed to me immediately
>>
>>335054312
>I'm an idiot

you don't say
>>
Nope. I started with Demon Souls and was hooked with the tutorial.

DeS=DaS=DaS3>DaS2
>>
>>335054796

master key way better anyways, lets you get so many good items and bypass all the annoying initial fights. if you are a true badass you can even get havels ring.
>>
>>335055008
I literally just got havel's ring 20 minutes ago before turning the game off. That dude sucked ass.
I stupidly chose 'tiny beings ring' at the start.
>>
>>335055116

if you think hes annoying try fighting him like 10 minutes into the game. the ring is probably one of the best items in the game though
>>
>>335055008
You should never use the master key on your first playthrough. Not only is it supposed to be for sequential runs but it can also fuck newbies up by taking them down into new londo or right into blightown
>>
I more or less went in blind (asked a friend about stats) and I feel like im missing a lot
I was using a 2+ halberd up until blighttown and then switched to that giant club
>>
>>335055218

i don't even think a new player would know how to use it properly or even where the shortcuts are. i picked it on my first playthrough and it didn't help much besides bypass stupid goat face
>>
>>335053232
I got hooked pretty much as soon as I got to firelink shine and started to explore the world.
>>
>>335055218

not to mention most of the shortcuts require dodging stupidly powerful enemies
>>
>>335054324
>>335054796
I remember people getting super mad about the drake sword when DaS came out. Saying everyone who found it must have cheated by using a guide and they were ruining the game for themselves.

I suppose none of them played DeS.
>>
>>335054926
Demons Souls is my favorite and I started with it. I enjoyed having a hub world though.
>>
>>335054939
the method of storytelling that the series employs is another draw for me. if you're wondering why you need to go to the tomb, it's to kill Nito to get his Lord Soul. the tomb/catacombs are probably the most lore-straightforward areas since it's not an area that was ever not full of skeletons. pinwheel sealed up Nito to usurp a bit of his power IIRC
>>
>>335054926
No, I got rid of my ps3 but I didnt hate DaS 2 if you can play DeS you should its just a bit dated, I played a bit on my buddies ps3.
>>
File: Yes?.gif (967 KB, 288x162) Image search: [Google]
Yes?.gif
967 KB, 288x162
Mine was interesting
>Bought game because of the hype
>Fucking hated it
>Got to taurus demon and stopped because "wow these controls are shit artificial difficulty no fun nonsense cockamamy bullshit wooow"
>Several months later catch the flu
>Had played everything else
>Decide to try it again to distract myself
>Beat the entire game in 2 days
>It became my favorite game
I love it so much
>>
>>335054804
>until you finally land at firelink shrine, the game is a steaming pile of double ass
It's like 15-30 minutes. 10 if you've played DeS.
>>
>>335055202
I had enough trouble at lv43. I had to take all my armour off and just hit and run constantly
>>
File: question.jpg (103 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
103 KB, 1600x1200
Content being locked behind PvP is what turned me away from Demon Souls (got until those metal guys that turn into morphballs). Otherwise a fun game.

Is the rest of the series like that?
>>
>>335055621
In fairness, I don't think I'd ever have found it without being told
>>
>>335055621
drake sword was my crutch that let me stick with the game while 'getting good' at my own pace, I was pretty frustrated with how underpowered all the weapons were and didn't have a lot of titanite to upgrade anything
>>
>>335055860

yea his attacks track you, which not all enemies do. usually a big attack will stick in the same direction as it started but havel will rotate like a fucking heat seeking missile the entire attack animation
>>
>>335056060
His armour was fucking rad though, I'll give him that
>>
>>335055928

not really, there are rewards for PVP factions like weapons/items/spells but that is pretty standard in most games
>>
>>335055928
Well lets seee
>DaS almost all the covenants rely on turning in items from doing online interactions, mainly PvP. However most of these items can be farmed from enemies (except for the sunbros but they don't pvp)
>DaS2 a lot more was locked behind PvP as getting the covenant rewards for half of the covenants relied on winning PvP arenas
>BB Covenants didn't really do much
>DaS3 seems to have gone back to the DaS route of getting items for winning invasions/co-op in a covenant. Most items can be farmed on enemies still.
So basically, pvp is mostly optional unless you are doing a super specific build using a reward from a covenant you can't farm for.
>>
>>335053232
It hooked me instantaneously. It's just the kind of game I love.
>>
>>335056249
I'm okay with rewards but DeS had this mechanic where whole areas would be locked unless you played PvP a certain amount of times.

Is that the case for the rest of the series?
>>
>>335056375

no it's not the case at all for DaS, and DaS2, i haven't played 3 yet tho.

PVP in these games is just for the sake of PVP
>>
I-I got so fed up I hacked my save on the 360 and gave me godmode.

Fuck i was a casual back then.
>>
>>335056321
I was part of the way of the white and the joined the forest covenant. Is anything bad gonna happen? I'm worried I pissed off the monk bloke
>>
>>335056536
>>335056375
No such thing in 3 either. All areas are open to everyone, for the most part. Getting into the Darkmoon Covenant is not allowed if you join the invasion covenant however, but that is pretty minor.
>>
>>335056607

nope, the guy is a massive asshole anyways
>>
>>335056375
That wasn't how Character/World Tendency worked in Demon's Souls.
>>
>>335056607
Nah, way of the white does literally nothing. Petrus doesn't care that you left either. For some covenants you lose a bit of ranking when you leave, but the only one that becomes aggressive is the forest covenant. If you leave the NPC's will attack you again, but you just have to talk to the cat to get back in.

Also Oswald of Carim, the guy in the first belltower, can let you leave covenant without penalty.
>>
>>335056749
Awesome, I'm pretty sure he ran away and left his companions to die somewhere
>>
Tried it, sucked and thought it was trash, then I looked into it more months later, actually figured out how to git gud and have been a fan ever since.
>>
>>335056921
Good guess.
If you rescue them he kills them himself so he doesn't get in trouble for leaving them.
>>
>>335056794
I totally forgot about that guy. When I beat the gargoyles I freaked the fuck out seeing him, I thought he was gonna kill me
>>
>>335055202
sl1 fights with him are just ~10 mins of backstabbing
>>
>>335057020
Shit man. I don't feel bad about leaving now.
Though I'm pretty sure the lady he's with insulted me when I talked to her twice so fuck her.
>>
>>335057023
Everyone freaks out. He just fucking appears with his arms up.
I nearly whacked him on my first playthrough
>>
>>335057028

its an intense fight because you never know when his massive hammer will glitch out and get you. i swear he's killed me when i was standing behind him.
>>
>>335057201

Buy wrath of god from her then kill her
>>
>>335057729
I always feel guilty about killing npcs.
I killed the crestfallen guy at firelink and felt bad. And I killed the guy who drops the ring of favour and protection because fuck him, I wanted the ring.
>>
File: 1457047919507.jpg (11 KB, 288x261) Image search: [Google]
1457047919507.jpg
11 KB, 288x261
I've owned the game since 2011 but every time I've played it I've never been beyond Anor Londo. I enjoyed it, I just lost interest like I do with every other game. I started several new games but I never got far.

This week I finally decided I would play it again. I got the Lordvessel, and just defeated Nito and the Bed of Chaos. I'm completely hooked and I finally "get it". Amazing game, and I'm mad at myself that it took me this long to realize it.
>>
>>335058091
Think of it this way, now there's a load more souls game you can play.
People who got hooked when the game came out had to wait years for more.
>>
>>335053232
dudes im gettin my shit rocked by the bell gargoyles, if i could only finish off one of em i can definitely beat it. but i always bathe in fire before i clean the rest of its hp.
>>
>>335058253
Gold Pine Resin and Firebombs
>>
Just out of interest did most of you play DeS or was it DaS that got you into it?
>>
>>335058562
I'm playing DaS as my first game. Tbh, I didn't even know about DeS until after I started.
>>
What does the a in daS1 mean?
>>
>>335059021
Ayyyyy lmao
>>
>>335059021
DaS is Dark Souls
DeS is Demon Souls.
The a and e are because they'd both just be DS otherwise.
Don't worry, it took me longer than I care to admit to realise.
>>
>>335053232
I did. And I'll definitely tell you the reason for this.
It's the blacksmith. Or the lack of him.
Seriously, why did they put Andre in such an odd place so far out of the way?
Not being able to upgrade your armour and weapons makes the game pretty tough, especially when you get to Capra Demon. That's where I stopped in my first go.
>>
>>335059570
If he's the one with the dogs, I didn't fight him till way later than I think I was supposed too.
It only took me three attempts so I think I was pretty lucky
>>
So guys I couldn't stand dark souls and it's not because of 'git gud' but I'm playing Lords of the fallen and I'm loving it. Why do you fags hate on it so much? Also I stopped at the gaping dragon
>>
>>335060341
I got it free on the xbone and haven't tried it yet. Was gonna play it after DaS
>>
>>335055793
Yeah, it was definitely something I had to marathon in order to get past the initial barrier.

Ended up going the wrong way on my first attempt, throwing myself at the giant skeletons over and over. The hollows in the Undead Burg were kind of pleasant after that.
>>
>>335056341
>instantaneously

Oh, not averagely?
>>
>>335060569
Same here anon. And I was actually about to redownload das on the xbone ever since it got backwards compatible but you really need to start Lords up I like it so much better
>>
>>335061154
Fair enough. I may play it before DaS2, just for some variety
>>
>>335056341
I think you mean instantly.

I also think you need to stop posting until you've achieved better mastery over the language. Reading books will help.
>>
>>335053232
Fuck off of /v/ with this obscure weebshit
>>
>>335063573
Just go back to trying to piss people off over YouTube comments or something.
>>
>>335063714
I wouldn't want to waste my time watching anymore gameplay of this faggot pandering edgelord game.
>>
Love DaS but I can't fucking stand DaSII Scholars of the first sin. Is just regular DaSII better than this shit? I'm getting mixed messages, but I heard they made mob spawns more fuck you in the DLC.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.