[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was a teenager in the early 90s and I don't think San
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
I was a teenager in the early 90s and I don't think San Andreas was realistic.
what about you, older fags? Was Vice City realistic?
>>
im 74 years old but i spent most of the 80s in jail for shitting myself in walmate
>>
I didn't live in Miami so I couldn't say specifically, but the 80s in general wasn't like this.
>>
I was a yugoslav immigrant when GTA IV came out and it was mostly forced stereotypes.
>>
File: 1447094010563.gif (3 MB, 256x199) Image search: [Google]
1447094010563.gif
3 MB, 256x199
the 80's were the same grey daily life boring shit as of today.

TV and cocaine made the 80's magic.
>>
Vice City was hyper realistic with the radio stations. The first time I played it (my first GTA) I thought they were real commercials for a little while that R* went back and found recordings of.

I can't say much about whether the style of cars was, but I think it fit.
>>
Graphics-wise?
I don't remember caring about realism before like 2004/2005 and the Doom 3/Half-Life 2 competition kicked off. I don't remember the video game media caring too much about it either.

I was 17 when Vice City released.
>>
>>335044761
>I don't think grand theft auto was realistic
HOLY SHIT STOP THE PRESSES WHAT A PROFOUND REVELATION
>>
>satire isn't realistic
Newsworthy.

What about San Andreas specifically doesn't seem "realistic"?
>>
>>335046080
You're not on reddit, you can type like a normal human being, you don't need to pull out the ironic sarcastic caps locks for more up points.
>>
I was black and living in east-LA in the 1990s and I can without a doubt say San Andreas was one thousand percent a video game
>>
>>335046221
>I was black and living in east-LA in the 1990s

I'm so sorry anon
>>
>>335046174
The radios didn't always play top hits all the time, there was a mix of shit you might never hear again, with the things you've heard a dozen times, and the shit you'd heard a hundred times.
Gang members didn't patrol and get into gun fights with police every single day
>>
Only game I remember thinking was uber realistic was Gran Turismo 3 when I forst got my PS2. That feeling faded and I've never been that impressed with "realism" since. Games should be what dreams are made of.
>>
>>335044761
There is no more fun thing to do in gta game than punch some npc and then make it hit a cop, ending in said cop drawing his gun and gunning the attacker down.
>>
>>335046039
>when you have grey hair, people know you're a winner!
>degeneratron
>realistic commercials
>>
>>335046202
Pretty sure reddit didn't invent the use of capslock friendo
>>
>>335046367
GTA V, punch some guys car and make him come out, so he wants to fight. Hop onto his car and then call the police. Wait for them. When they come, hop down and let them see you take a hit from him
>>
>>335046286
Not sure what radio you listen to, but the "popular" songs get played on repeat. It may be satire for the 90s, but Will Smith's "Miami" played often enough that the lyrics still come up fresh.

In any case, a game's radio playing some songs on repeat is no awkward thing.

Also, at least for Miami, gang members very much did get into gun fights a lot. Again though.. it's a satirical video game.. made for gameplay.
>>
>>335044761
It's not supposed to be realistic. It's how some britcucks who watched a bunch of american movies see america.
>>
>>335046492
The first one I heard was Sissy Spritz. I thought it was a real hairspray.
>>
>>335044761
A little bit, but that's probably younger me being in awe of the game. Like how the trees sway when a police chopper's just overhead, how AI has this different animations that make it look like they're taking cover/have cover mechanics, different animations and all that shit.
>>
>>335044761
no, pretty sure no one thought vice city was realistic. however, i suppose i thought gta1 was somewhat realistic even though it was essentially a 2d game iirc. for some reason i always thought the "superbike" or whatever it was called was too fast or something.
>>
>>335047579
It was completely unsteerable, it's not just you.
>>
>>335045041
USA USA USA USA USA
>>
>>335044761
I thought gta 3 was realistic. I'm an olfag though, most of /v/ is millennials that missed the days when gaming wasn't all cod and wow and console port shitters.
>>
nobody cared about realism in GTA you dumb nigger
>>
>>335047663
yeah, the only way it was useful was when you found the right spot between lanes and only wanted to drive in a straight line. still i always wanted it and pretty much always died with it.
i heard it was suppposed to be a kawasaki ninja or something.
also anyone remember that mod for gta1 that changed vehicle names to the real names?
>>
>>335047905
I do.
>>
>>335047905
I remember when IV came out and everyone was bitching about how cars handled like boats.
Then V comes out and everyone's like "IV's driving system was more realistic! V's is too easy!"
>>
>>335048158
/v/ is always like that
>>
>>335048158

The people who hate it are vocal, the people who like it aren't motivated to talk about it as much.

Change it and then the people who liked 4 in silence become vocal about disliking 5, and vice versa.
>>
>>335048158
>I remember when IV came out and everyone was bitching about how cars handled like boats.
I always liked the handling in IV. It took a little practice to get the hang of it, but once you did it was goat.
>>
>>335046280
white guilt much?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.