[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wanna know something that bothers me about 2D platformers? It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Rayman_Origins_release_date.jpg (142 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Rayman_Origins_release_date.jpg
142 KB, 1280x720
Wanna know something that bothers me about 2D platformers? It happens in nearly as many of these games as I can think of, from modern ones back to SNES and even the original Mario titles.

>hold [button] to run

In other words, never let go of [button]. What's the point? You will be holding that button for the vast majority of the game. Why not just make "run" the default speed? And on modern games, they're starting to use one of the top buttons for this. Do you know how much pain Super Meat Boy put me in, not due to difficulty, but because I was constantly holding the run button?
>>
Spelunky has a nice feature, it lets you toggle hold to run or hold to walk.
>>
>>335038408
I haven't played Spelunky in a while. I'll remember that the next time I play some.
>>
Sometimes you need to make precision jumps, like on small platforms. In which case, if the game uses momentum, you don't want to run.

But yeah, unless the game is designed in a way that there are parts you need to be very careful, a run button is pointless.
>>
>>335038285
It gives you a clear cut choice and way to toggle speeds. You can run to traverse quickly or walk for precision. Some parts in SMB would be one big ass pain if run was the default.
>>
File: Sonic Physics.webm (3 MB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Physics.webm
3 MB, 400x320
>tfw Sonic got this right at first but now they gave him one
>>
>>335038943
Sonic kinda needs one in 3D. Controlling fluent physics in 3D without having a way to do precision platforming sounds like a poor experience. Now if only any of the 3D games had fluent physics to begin with.
>>
>>335038546
I get that, but the amount of times I NEEDED to let go of run is in the single digits on all of these games. If it's more advantageous to run for the majority of the game, that should be default.
>>
what if they made a slow down button instead and you can use it to break
>>
>>335038943
i forgot how cool sonic was. having loop de loops in a platformer was fuckin sick. nothing else had that
>>
>>335038285
>Wanna know something that bothers me about 2D platformers?
no
>>
>>335038285
Video games were shit before 3d (and early 3d). They had to use things like this to fluff the gameplay, making it feel 'deeper'.
>>
>>335038285
For old people who can only process 2 buttons at once
Take the game slow n easy

Nothing wrong with that.
Play the game at the speed you want.
I hate platformers that only have two flavors of speed, too fast, and stop.
>>
>always hold the run button
But you're not. In not a single good platformer you hold the run button at all times. What is this shit?
>>
>>335040594
/thread
>>
>>335038285
I like the Shantae approach of still having a button to hold that changes between running and walking, but it allows you to toggle which of the two is the default. So you can make it so Shantae runs normally, and walks when the button is held.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.