[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was it like playing Doom for the first time? Iv'e
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
What was it like playing Doom for the first time?

Iv'e started playing Ultimate Doom and it's really fun so far.
>>
>>335027259
When I was little I thought it was fucking awesome. My big brother taught me how to type in the MS-DOS commands to make it run so I could play it whenever I wanted. Good memories, and the game is still great now.
>>
File: FU7939lg.jpg (45 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
FU7939lg.jpg
45 KB, 500x500
bump
>>
It was my first PC game and I had a blast.
>>
I played it last week for the first time and the controls are very VERY strange.
> couldn't bind shoot to mouse 1 so had to play keyboard only
>>
I played Doom on a shareware CD. It was fun as fuck and I remember the first time the two barons of hell popped up at the end of the demo.

I also played Wolfenstein 3D on a demo disk when it came out. My cousin got it and was trying it out, and a bunch of us kids were standing around his computer checking out this crazy fucking 3D game.
>>
>>335028678
Play Chocolate Doom
>>
>>335028940
op here
i'm using zdoom
>>
It controls better today, because everyone played it using only the keyboard when it was released.
>>
>>335031036
It always had mouse support.
>>
>>335031089
I know, that's why I didn't say it didn't support mouse
>>
>>335029517
use gzdoom
also ignore /vr/ rejects who suggest choc doom, that shit is simply inferior
>>
>>335031284
i'm fine with zdoom
i'm only using it for better controls. I have no interest in mods i just wanted to play the original games.
>>
It was pretty fucking cool.

I played it with an older friend of mine, but didn't get to truly appreciate the game until I picked up Doom 3 for the PC and it included the old games.

The music, the graphics, the level of detail you could tell they designed this game to be absolutely perfect. It was really impressive.

To be honest, though Doom 3 is a great game if you ask me. Scripted horror FPS events that don't take you out of the game are much better than cutscene horror.

No game has included the amount of horror Doom 3 brings to the table.
>>
>>335032105
Have you tried cry of fear?
>>
i cant exactly remember when i first played doom but i do remember being more impressed by duke and shadow warrior with all its easter eggs and gimmicks
i have however come to admire and respect doom a lot more over the years and play it almost every day now.
>>
>>335031036
i still only use keyboard desu. why wouldnt you?
>>
>>335033846
Because
>it was always meant to be played with a mouse
>mods are great
>I'm not a fucking hipster
>>
File: 01c.png (422 KB, 500x584) Image search: [Google]
01c.png
422 KB, 500x584
is it bad that i play doom on dosbox?
>>
>>335034082
yeah kill yourself my man
>>
>>335027259
It was utterly amazing.

And it's still awesome.
>>
>>335034082
Are you having fun? If so, no problem. Unless you want to play certain mods that is. I personally use Zdoom so I can play it in a modern resolution, though.
>>
It stressed me out. My friend's "rich uncle" was the only one I knew with a PC at the time since I was a poorfag back in the day. We had extremely limited time even touching his machine but he did let us try the game a few times. It was pretty fucking amazing.

I didn't really get to play a Doom Clone properly until I had my first Playstation years later and we rented Alien Trilogy. Shit was too scary for me to complete.
>>
>>335027259
I played it as a kid because my dad was a PC gamer in the early-mid 90s. It was so immersive and mindblowing to me at the time compared to the console we had, which was the NES.
>>
>>335027259
I was a 6 year old bitch at the time, when my dad wanted to play it coop I insisted that he turn off the monsters.

Even with the only fucking way to die being to stand in a pool of acid like a retard I did anyway
>>
File: image.jpg (865 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
865 KB, 2592x1936
Still got the disk
>>
File: upside down.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
upside down.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>335036268
>>
>>335036268
>disk
>>
>>335034807
Similar story for me but with my cousins and he wasn't as stingy. Anyway, I was so young when I played it that I thought it was an horror game. The demon pink thing being specially terrifying. But even back then the level design was amazing to me.
>>
>>335031284
Enjoy being a casual. Invisible enemies are entirely visible on GZdoom
>>
File: d.png (33 KB, 175x121) Image search: [Google]
d.png
33 KB, 175x121
>>335036604
>>
>>335036268
>Disk
Hello there, newfriend.
>>
>>335034082
Yes because Chocolate doom is exactly that but easier and better for setting controls
>>
>>335033985
>grew up watching my dad play
>never used a mouse
>i never use a mouse

not a hipster
>>
>>335036702
>Invisible enemies
Yeah all 1 of them who only has melee attack, so hardcore
>>
>>335036864
Yeah it's not like they ever ambush you or anything.

I can tell you've never actually played Doom 1 and 2 all the way.
>>
>>335036959
You really are a shitter aren't you
>>
>>335036959
>still playing the original levels
i can tell you've never actually played doom much at all
>>
>>335037001
No, you are. You really have never played the game if you think there is only a few invisible enemies in the game and that they are always in open areas where you can easily avoid them and never in pits you drop into, or behind false walls, or in pitch dark areas, or in traps when you pick up items. Melee attacks will really hurt you if you're not playing on baby mode and save scumming.

You did not get the experience the developers intended.

>>335037220
>Thread about playing the game for the first time
>LMAO BRUH WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE ORIGINAL LEVELS BRUH

Kill yourself
>>
>>335037286
Vanilla doom, including chocolate doom, has an exploit which makes pinkies completely harmless regardless of if you can see them or not. I can really tell you are a shitter and don't know anything about the game
>>
File: Des.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Des.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>335037493
Sure thing
>>
>>335037914
>oh wow an exploit?
>standing still will surely be it!
You are brain damaged

I'm also fucking amazed you don't know it when it's such common knowledge and the first thing mods try to do is fix it, you really are a hipstershit who never actually played the game
>>
>>335038135
Are you saying that moving out of the way of an enemies mouth makes them NOT bite you? Wooooow.

You know why they surround you and put them in closed areas later on?
>>
>>335038256
You know pinkies can surround you and you will never get hit by a single one right? Of course you don't
>>
>>335038306
Well then post a video
>>
>>335038447
not him but i think he means this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA
demons have no attack range as long as you move they cant hit you
>>
>>335027259
I didn't like it at first. It's one of those games you appreciate in hindsight.
>>
>>335041738
>It's one of those games you appreciate in hindsight.
what. The only reason you wouldnt appreciate it immediately is if you played it for the first time last week and graphics are important to you.
>>
My first time playing it was on a SNES, the blood red cartridge was pretty cool. And I was scared by the monster sounds, Ultimate Doom actually made the monsters scarier than they really are.
>>
zdoom for the original games if you don't want to bother with chocolate doom
gzdoom for mods and insane wads
>>
>>335036268
I wonder if anyone on /v/ owns the original shareware floppy.
>>
>>335027259
install ProjectBrutality, God tier Pc here, but playing that every day lol
>>
File: IMG_20160421_130339.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160421_130339.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>335043228
Not shareware but still pretty happy to have it.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.