[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Reweivers Daily reminder Seriously they are fucking shit.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: image.png (382 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.png
382 KB, 640x480
>Reweivers
Daily reminder

Seriously they are fucking shit. I'm not just talking about SF0 only. Stuff like god hand are severely degraded because 'it's hard'. Bayonetta is degraded because of 'extreme sexuality'. Why are we listening to them again?
>>
And also games like smash 4 do not deserve the score they get. I think sm4sh is at most an 85
>>
>>335023538
Individual reviewers are useless, unless you have a clear idea on what their hangups and boners are.
If not, you're better off checking up metacritic score and working from there.
>>
>>335023538
>godhand got a 3/10
>imagine: party babyz got a 7.5/10

they've always been shit and I've never understood why anyone listened to any of them for anything
>>
>>335023538

>modern FPS controls on PS1

I always wondered why it took till PS2 to implement this, and even then in the first few years you had classic control schemes as an option in lots of games. Going back so that you strafe with right stick, and pressing left/right on left stick just swivels you is so weird,

Was there any technical limitation that caused this to be a thing on PS1?
>>
>>335023995
The whole reason they've rose in necessity is because of developers/publishers refusing to release demos. Instead they favor "Betas", usually locked behind a pay wall to boost profits, and if they need to they'll just butter up popular reviewers for good scores.
>>
>>335023538
They were right
Shooters on console was a mistake
>>
>>335023538

I don't know, I have never read online reviews and video game mags were only good for the interviews and info on unreleased games.

That being said, as someone who has been into vidya since the early 90s, vidya has been going to shit. 90% of it is corporatism, ie production cost bloat and refusing to do anything that isn't safe, but a smaller problem is a dirth of new ideas.
>>
>>335024242
No. The entire reason control schemes were the way they were is because no one (until Halo, more or less) had figured out a good way for FPS games to control on a console. Its why you had games like Timesplitters basically copying Goldeneye and shit like that; there was no real standard and no one had figured it out. Halo more or less set the standard and then Call of Duty 4 set it in stone.
>>
>>335023538
>Why are we listening to them again?
>we
speak for yourself

though before few years ago everyone on /v/ only posted the reviews just to laugh at them, but now there are so much normalfag redditors that some people actually take them seriously and care about metacritic
>>
File: 1357515289609.jpg (411 KB, 620x800) Image search: [Google]
1357515289609.jpg
411 KB, 620x800
>>335027059
You know why the English ABC keyboard letters are arranged on a keyboard the way they are, don't ya?

it was to encourage hunt and peck because early typewriters would break down if anyone got going on them with any degree of speed.

>the more you know
>>
>>335026860
Just play indie games
>>
>>335027306

I found that out back in high school and it's pissed me off since that QWERTY shit hasn't been universally replaced yet.
>>
>>335027337

Believe me I've given Indie a chance, the problem is that so many are in it for a quick buck, so the genres and flavors are extremely limited as the devs are technically limited or are intending to cater to specific preexisting audiences.

That mixed with the social engineering and PC social statements that seems to pervade so much of the writing makes most Indie just as unpalatable as AAA. There are always exceptions of course, but they're rare.
>>
>>335027306
>>335027478

Have any companies begun work on a more efficient system? That would be amazing. Condensed vowels that can all be selected wit one finger and organic consonant placement would blow my mind.
>>
>>335027478
Changing it would be more effort than it's worth since everyone is used to it.
>>
>>335027337
Indie went to shit when they started to get called indie.
>>
>>335028000
its called dvorak and nobody uses it because it honestly doesn't make that much of a difference

the thing about qwerty and typewriters is a myth anyway
>>
>>335028000
>trips checked for good ideas

I hope someone figures out some better shit man. Typing faster would be cool. Maybe we wouldn't become collectively dumber as a species as everyone reverts to text speak for speed.
>>
>>335023538

I haven't read a video game review in 10 years or more.
>>
>>335028342
Yeah this
When people got used to qwerty they'd still type fast enough to lock up typewriters
>>
File: Ys Review.jpg (573 KB, 1326x1075) Image search: [Google]
Ys Review.jpg
573 KB, 1326x1075
>>
>>335027306
>>335027478

It's a lie, so don't worry about it.
>>
>>335028689
>not exploring in an JRPG

Cancer.
>>
>>335023995
Tells more about /v/ liking a 3/10 game over a 7.5/10, T.B.H.
>>
>>335027059
Goldeneye had a control scheme that was basically twin stick it's just that one of the sticks was the d or c pad.
>>
>>335024242
>Was there any technical limitation that caused this to be a thing on PS1?

The analog sticks on the PS1 controller were fucking awful, primarily.
>>
>>335023538
Was Resurrection the first game with the two-stick control scheme?
>>
>>335027306
>the more you know

or perhaps less, since that isn't true
>>
I don't follow reviewers and I don't watch """""gameplay"""" trailers.
>>
>>335023538
That's not completely wrong.
Controllers are still shit for FPS.
>>
Made a Healingho.Pally on Blackrock
Should I have tons of crit or tons of haste? I already have like 500 MP5 without Energized stacks from Solace of the Defeated.
>>
>tfw I just beat God Hand

What's different in Hard Mode exactly? Everything?
>>
>>335028689
>After dinging it a point for grammar
best part
>>
>>335024242
>>335027059
It is more likely because dual analog was not a standard. PS1 launched without analog at all, dual analog was released later so games were developed with that in mind. Analog had to essentially be an option and games had to function without. The N64 also only had 1 analog stick so the modern control scheme simply wasn't possible there.
>>
File: 1456301302364.png (533 KB, 459x612) Image search: [Google]
1456301302364.png
533 KB, 459x612
>gaming
>journalism
>>
>>335028024
Kinda like teaching americans about celsius?
>>
>>335030454
Nothing changes except you're permanently on level die
Ironically you make a shitton of money because of this
>>
>>335032781
>permanently on level die

Jesus christ
>>
>>335032976
it snot that bad, just learn to dodge more
like, a LOT more.
>>
Miiverse uses who have played the game are PISSED.
>>
>>335034337
>Tutorial
>Level of skill, and therefore familiarity with the controls, required to complete is representative of that of the rest of the game
>>
>>335028929
Actually it was where you plugged in two controllers and used both joysticks like a ghetto double-wiimote

Shit was a blast, too bad it didn't work multiplayer.
>>
>>335036237
You can do that too, but there were two control schemes using the D pad or C pad for movement with the stick for aiming.
>>
>>335027478
QWERTY hasn't undergone any changes because computers came its keyboard doesn't jam. Around that time typewriters began to decline in popularity for obvious reasons. The typewriter has undergone a lot of changes in its lifetime, though.

Can't say the same for the clusterfuck that is Chinese keyboards.
>>
what I don't get is "free pass", like a game being too hard is bad, but another being too hard is good. Often the difference being some sort of meta "expectation" based on graphics or title or company.
>>
>>335037375
I think it's fair to say that a game that is hard due to its controls being bad is a bad game, whereas a game with good controls that is hard to provide challenge is good if that's what it's trying to achieve.
The problem is when you get people who have trouble with the controls, which might not actually be that bad, like W101 which I found fairly easy to control after a couple of missions. Starfox Zero, from the demo I've played, was a little hard to control, but give it a couple of levels and I'm sure it'll be fine.
>>
>>335029118
One of the first on consoles at least,you should give a try sometime,if you do use retroarch with a ps3 controller,great looking game game given the hardware.
>>
>>335029302
Either this or the FPS is shit anyway for accommodating the controller as a viable input.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.