[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got finished playing Drakengard, and I honestly liked it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1460564675415.png (436 KB, 800x425) Image search: [Google]
1460564675415.png
436 KB, 800x425
Just got finished playing Drakengard, and I honestly liked it. Besides other Taro Yoko games, are there any other JRPGs that have interesting stories/imagery which don't devolve into typical shounen "muh power of friendship", emos with belt's fighting Judaeo-christian gods or other cliched JRPG bullshit?
>>
Final fantasy 6
>>
SMT
>>
File: 1380150631924.png (3 KB, 142x138) Image search: [Google]
1380150631924.png
3 KB, 142x138
>>334994395
Are you really saying that final fantasy is an example of not cliched JRPG?

I don't know anon, that doesn't seem right.
>>
>>334994517
Only 6
>>
>>334994612
Oh okay then, what makes 6 stand out from the rest?
>>
>>334994517
Have you played FF6?
>>
>>334994668
No belts, no emos, interesting world, best villain, every character has a story, many dramatic scenes.
>>
>>334994769
No.

>>334995151
I guess I can try it then, I don't really like turn based RPG combat though. Is there much grinding/fighting to be done?
>>
>>334995365
It's not exactly turn based. Every character has an action bar, that gets refilled in real time.
No grinding required, only if you want to grind special moves from enemies. But there are many random encounters.
>>
>>334993620
Breath of Fire 4.

No seriously
>>
>>334995365
Also, best version http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/
New ones are ugly as sin
>>
Reminder : If you're ever having a shitty day just put on the Drakengard OST.

It's actually great as a calming tool. Think of it like in basic math how multiplying two negatives nets you a positive.
>>
>>334996049
Okay, thanks anon.
>>
Chrono Trigger
>>
>>334993620
>interesting stories/imagery
So not just "dark"? Just listing the ones I know of, popularity not considered.

Resonance of Fate is a contemporary/steampunk slice of life deal.
SMTs, any of them, are nice little cyberpunk adventures that usually end in apocalypse scenarios. Or the neutral ending, if you're a bitch.
Valkyrie Profile is japan's take on pure Norse mythology.
For pure politically focused western medieval-fantasy, there's Final Fantasy Tactics/Vagrant Story.

Expanding out from "turn-based jRPG" a bit.
Dark Souls/Bloodborne deals with western imagery and a sheer bleak attitude. Less bleak, more heroic with Dragon's Dogma, has a nice ending to boot that fucks with the assets somewhat.
Killer is Dead has an incredible art style and ends with some pretty great imagery. Same with Killer 7.
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, while we're at it.

Parasite Eve I'll mention for being a buddy-cop/90s NYPD cop-focused action movie dealing with body-horror, but I'm really, really not sure if I'd recommend that at all just due to how fucking bad the plot and dialogue is.
>>
>>334993620
You may like Valkyrie Profile Convenant of the Plume on DS.
>>
>>334997508
>For pure politically focused western medieval-fantasy, there's Final Fantasy Tactics/Vagrant Story.
Oh, if you want politically-focused eastern medieval-fantasy, there's Way of the Samurai, but I'm not sure what genre you'd classify that as.
>>
>>334997508
Well not necessarily "just dark" but yeah, I would prefer tragedy, I don't really like the typical happy go lucky or melodramatic for little reason JRPG protags.
>>
>>334998027
>>334997729
>Kill your "friends" for easy power up to take revenge against God wayfu

It was a interesting view of Valkyrie Profile.
>>
>>334998027
Well I omitted a few of the "happier ones" I knew about.
>>
>>334998616
OK, well thanks, I'll check those out.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.