[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
vidya is art
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 250x182) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 250x182
vidya is art
>>
DAE this game is art? DO YOU FEEL LIKE HURTING PEOPLE YET WALKER?
>>
>>334992704
>>334992809
Sure games are art
I don't know why this is still hotly discussed

Even art art can in itself, be poorly thought out and bad.
If art was about making the prettiest looking thing, then it wouldn't be art.

Video games can be art if the attention and time is put into it. Doesn't mean people ever bother or try to do it good.

then again people don't know much about art outside their child's finger painting class and that expensive college you're giving up portions of your lifespan for them to go to and bludge through one day.
>>
File: thps2.jpg (61 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
thps2.jpg
61 KB, 500x495
vidya is gonzo
>>
>>334992704

More importantly its also fun.
>>
>>334993170
>I don't know why this is still hotly discussed

It's because people like to act like Roger Ebert for troll jejs.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart_and_scatology

Video games can be art, they can also be shit. They can be better than music/movies because of the interactivity, but gameplay is also an art form. Some people just hate it because it's new or they think it's for kids, but I know plenty of senior citizens who play video games.
>>
Only when it doesn't try to be.
If you've made something that evokes an emotional connection and a thoughtful experience then you've made art.
But when you try to make "art" instead of just something good you usually end up failing.

It's not about "how deep can this plot be?" it's more about "how fleshed out can these characters be? How can I explore these themes without it seeming forced?". Majora's Mask has good characters, great atmosphere, a feeling that's hard to get with other mediums, and good gameplay. The gameplay part is a good way to make you invested in the world like no other medium can.
You shouldn't make a game and neglect the "game" part of it, even if it's not integral. Just like how you shouldn't neglect the camera in a film, a great story in a movie with bad editing and shitty framing will always be held back.
>>
>>334993794
that seems so obvious im not sure why that wasn't my default conclusion
Well far be it for me to try and stop that I guess
>>
>>334992704
HOW you play vidya is an art in itself. You gotta think deeper.
>>
>>334993170
People think saying something is art is a qualitative statement and it isn't. Art is not inherently good. There's plenty of bad art.

Also, art doesn't have to have some deep meaning or be a commentary on society or humanity.

Art can be a display of skill. Like a blacksmith forging an impeccable blade. It doesn't have any deep meaning, it's just really good at what it is and a display of the creators talent and hard work.

Art can also simply be something to enjoy. Like a landscape painting that only exists to have something pretty to look at.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.