[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nier's Ending
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9
File: ttvtw.png (257 KB, 600x364) Image search: [Google]
ttvtw.png
257 KB, 600x364
Regarding the endings of Nier.

Was there any cure for the Black Scrawl?

If the Gestalt project was meant to separate the body from the soul until the disease faded, why did Replicant Yonah still have it? Was she cured after momentarily reuniting with her Gestalt form, or is she still just biding her time?
>>
The Gestalt project was to allow humanity to survive White Chlorination Syndrome. Yonah suffers from Black Scrawl which is a different disease.
>>
>>334990991
No

Black scrawl isn't the same disease. It only occurs to replicants when their soul dies/relapses
>>
>>334990991
No.

Because Yonah already had it when the project started. She's always been fucked. There was no way to save her.
>>
>>334990991

Yonah got the black scrawl after touching the original book 1000 years ago with original Nier. Original Nier was the only person who was able to keep their humanity after using the book and was used by the creators of the Gestalt project to provide every other human with... I guess whatever equivalent there was of his blood, so they could survive the gestalt process without going mad. The only reason he went along with it at all was because he was promised a cure for Yonah (and he realised after a millennium that he was probably being lied to, leading to him taking things in his own hands and the events of the game).
>>
everything's fucked forever always because this is a yoko taro game
>>
>>334992439
So the Shades followed the Original Nier because he was the only one trying to restore their sanity.

But did he not know that restoring Yonah to her original body would just kill her with the Black Scrawl? Or was he just trying to give her whatever time she had left as a human?
>>
>>334990991
>Black Scrawl
Quality writting. Pure fucking cringe.
>>
>>334990991
There's a loooot of plotholes but the story and characters are awesome enough to let them slide.
>>
File: Grimoire.jpg (89 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Grimoire.jpg
89 KB, 640x480
>>334992439
>the original book
Did they ever explain why Original Nier had the Black Book?

Noir apparently spread the disease, but then started working with the Gestalt? Never understood its motivation.
>>
>>334993120
I think the logic was that putting her soul back into her body would cure both the relapse and the Black Scrawl, or at least halt them.
>>
>>334993821
The thing about Noir spreading any disease was a complete lie. White Chlorination Syndrome, which caused the whole mess, was spread by the Queen Beast from Drakengard, and the Black Scrawl is just the Replicant bodies decaying due to their Gestalts dying or going mad.
>>
>>334993821
The people working on the gestalt project apparently handed out copies of noir to random people to see if anyone could resist the process of being turned into a gestalt
>>
>>334993439
It's literally black writing anon.
>>
File: 1409279286790.png (48 KB, 1248x1504) Image search: [Google]
1409279286790.png
48 KB, 1248x1504
Nier did nothing wrong.
_______ ;_; _______
>>
>>334994092
>Black Scrawl is just the Replicant bodies decaying
But Original Yonah got it from the Black Book, didn't she?

>>334994109
> to see if anyone could resist the process of being turned into a gestalt
Didn't they want everyone to turn Gestalt?
>>
So both Nier and Original Nier were fucked right?

I mean, there was no way to fuse the shades and replicants successfully right?
>>
>>334994725
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think what happened was that Yonah was already sick, either from WCS or some normal disease, and because her body was so fragile, her Gestalt immediately started to fall apart, causing the Black Scrawl for Yonah's Replicant.
>>
>>334995217
the black scrawl is just a glitch in the gestalt
>>
>>334995217
But I thought the Yonah in the intro was Original Yonah. Was her Gestalt somehow affected before it was even separated from her body via the Gestalt Project?
>>
>>334994725
Ah, yes I got it wrong. When people turn into gestalts they usually relapse and go crazy. They basically were trying to find a person who could stay sane after going gestalt and produce "demonic element" to keep all other gestalts stable; that's why they asked him to give them the demonic element in exchange for a cure for Yonah
>>
>>334995552
I'm pretty sure that the Black Scrawl is caused either by the coreesponding Gestalt dying, or "relapsing", which is basically the Gestalt losing mental stability.

>>334995703
The intro takes place while Yonah and Nier are both still normal humans. Her Gestalt was screwed up because she was sick when her body and soul got separated. She probably had White Chlorination Syndrome, but I can't say for sure.
>>
>>334994941
Yep, Project Gestalt was fucked from the beginning.
>>
>>334994941
I believe the reason Noir wanted to fuse with Weiss was to cause the Gesalts and replicants to rejoin.
>>
>>334995786
Ah, that explains why Original Nier and Replicant Nier are the only ones who can use the books.

>>334996012
So from what I can gather, Yonah tried using the book and ended up starting the separation between her body and soul.

But because of her condition, the relapse started almost immediately, screwing over whatever Replicants the Gestalt Project could make of her from that point on.
>>
File: Yonah.173380.jpg (332 KB, 1080x810) Image search: [Google]
Yonah.173380.jpg
332 KB, 1080x810
>>334996102
Original Yonah and Replicant Yonah technically seemed to fuse alright.

It just didn't end the sentience of the Replicant, so Original Yonah opted out.
>>
The Black Scrawl is caused by the separation of a Replicant vessel from its soul. Because Nier cut down the only being that could actually merge a "Shade" back into its Replicant vessel, the Shadowlord, the world's perma-fucked
>>
>>334998393
At least Emil made it?
>>
>>334994635
Absolutely true

Why the fuck should he care about a bunch of mutant babies when his daughter is the only thing that matters.

Shadowlord is to blame for everything because he's an impatient douche
>>
>>334998710
Well that's because Emil was essentially rendered immortal after his proper transformation into a weapon, where he then teamed up with Beepy to stop aliens
>>
File: twins.jpg (79 KB, 634x1152) Image search: [Google]
twins.jpg
79 KB, 634x1152
I never really understood the time lapse between the initial separation between Gestalt and Replicant and where the Replicants are now.

Are they artificial bodies that have lived for hundreds of years, never aging and not realizing it, or have they all just recently gained sentience, living with fake memories of a past they never really had?
>>
>>334999080
The latter, I'm fairly sure. You start the game proper right around when they start gaining sentience and the capacity to rebel
>>
File: 2576866.png (166 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
2576866.png
166 KB, 500x280
>>334998765
Thought you were joking about aliens.
>>
>>334992439
I read about how the world quarantined Japan, is that true?
>>
So basically after the events of Nier, humanity is basically done right?

I mean, Automata might give us more answers, but who knows.
>>
>>334999207
Interesting idea, that they all found their families and fell back into a societal role before gaining enough sentience to know that it wasn't the way things had always been for them.
>>
>>335000069
I might be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that while Nier took place in one area of the world, there were other colonies of replicants and gestalts elsewhere in the world, who may have met different ends than just a slow death.

I could have also dreamed that, so don't count on it as canon.
>>
>>334998765
Wouldn't be surprised if he shows up in the sequel somewhere.
>>
File: emil17.jpg (168 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
emil17.jpg
168 KB, 800x600
>>335000758
Pretty sure it's already confirmed that Emil will show up in Automata.
>>
>>335000758
Consider that he modified his body with robot parts and can create clones of himself.
Then look at the robot enemies in Automata.
>>
>>335000069
>>335000712
According to what little I've seen on Nier Automata, some humans apparently survived by making it to the moon.
>>
File: NieR-Automata_2015_10-29-15_006.jpg (604 KB, 3641x2048) Image search: [Google]
NieR-Automata_2015_10-29-15_006.jpg
604 KB, 3641x2048
>>335000846
>>335000856
Oh nooooo-
>>
>>335000856
I better study up on the cliffnotes before starting Automata.
>>
>>335001084
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqumP4OIE88
http://nier2.com/blog/2015/12/13/nier-drama-cd-the-space-war/
>>
>>335001174
Obliged.
>An Adamski style UFO appears in the sky.

Well that happened.
>>
>>335000605
Would have thought that Devola and Popola would have had the Replicants contained somewhere, instead of letting them run free reign in the wild.

Though maybe they did, before they rebelled. Then I guess it was just easier to let them assume that life was normal until things were ready to fuse them with the Gestalts.
>>
>>334994941
Oh, no, it was possible to fuse them. Yonah was proof of this. The problem is that Replicants gained sentience and were lives unto themselves now, even if they were cloned bodies.
>>
File: -00.jpg (750 KB, 3200x1800) Image search: [Google]
-00.jpg
750 KB, 3200x1800
Wait, if the Gestalt's relapse was what caused the Black Scrawl in their Replicants, and killing Gestalt Nier didn't immediately kill Replicant Nier, wouldn't that indicate that killing the Shades before they go feral would stop the spread of the Black Scrawl?

Granted, it is committing mass genocide on sentient beings, but it sounds like all the Shades are on their way to relapsing anyway...
>>
>>334999834
They actually carpet nuked Japan, which spread WCS across the entire planet.

That's why despite the game taking place pretty much at ground zero of the whole WCS outbreak, it's totally unrecognizable. only a scarce few structures from the old world still stand.

Japan basically got the worst of it all.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.