[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NPCs in JRPGs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
Why can't all JRPGs have good NPCs like this? Trails in the Sky first chapter and second chapter had the best NPCs I've ever seen in a JRPG. I've gotten so used to having good NPCs who have stories, personalities, and lines that change as events in the game take place; that I don't want to go back to signpost NPCs that just stand there all game and have one line- and a boring line at that.

I suspect that Final Fantasy XV will have crappy NPCs. NPCs without names, just standing there all game, giving the same line every time, no personality, nothing special about them. It seems that the more serious the theme of the JRPG is, the worse their NPCs are. Most of the good NPCs have been in lighthearted JRPGs like Grandia, Threads of Fate, and Lunar- while the bad NPCs have been in the Final Fantasies, Rogue Galaxy, and Lost Odyssey.
>>
>>334969740
Ride ze shoopuf?
>>
>>334969740
Final Fantasy and Rogue Galaxy have decent NPCs though. I do recall Lost Odyssey having nothing of merit though, that game was boring.
>>
I liked Rogue Galaxy and Etrian Odyssey 3.

Light heartedness balances out the crazy shit happening in the world as well.
>>
>>334969740
Priorities I guess visuals is what peo0 can only learn how great the NPSs are in a Legend of Heroes game after you've bought and played the game and not in a screenshot or short video.
>>
File: danger.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
danger.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>implying 3rd is lighthearted
>>
I enjoyed the little stories the NPCs had in persona 3 and 4. The di who always follows the guy and vice versa in 3 and the spacey girl and errand boy in 4. Fun to see these little parallel stories and it adds emotional resonance to your mission.
>>
>>334969740
Good NPCs require time and energy, thinking about the characters or at least at presenting the NPCs as characters. Most JRPGs are focused on the cinematic or dungeon crawling, and so the NPCs are just window dressings and treated as such.

Xenoblade Chronicles had some decent NPCs, thanks to quests involving them and they needing to be fleshed out just a bit because of it.
>>
>>334969740
>I suspect that Final Fantasy XV will have crappy NPCs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQFYX4IRxB8
>>
File: rpg financial sense.jpg (220 KB, 356x1764) Image search: [Google]
rpg financial sense.jpg
220 KB, 356x1764
OP's topic reminded me of pic related.
>>
>>334969740
Fug I can't wait until 3rd.

Talking to every NPC was so enjoyable in Trails.

I've seen some criticism of the game being based around it being too slow, but honestly the joy I got from the game was playing it at a slow pace and getting to know the world.

FF always had decent NPCs, and some that were memorable. I hope XV keeps that up.
>>
>>334969740
Yeah I love how Falcom handles NPCs, Coldsteel being the prime example of doing it right.
>All those students and his mini stories.
>>
Most of 3rd is dungeon crawling though
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.