[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So i know a majority of /v/ hates open world games. What are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: PVP-Brah.jpg (15 KB, 604x438) Image search: [Google]
PVP-Brah.jpg
15 KB, 604x438
So i know a majority of /v/ hates open world games. What are some ways to fix this dull genre?
>>
>>334965671
Cut down the scope to a village and the wilderness around the village. Every developer tries to do a city/cities with a ton of people and objects and quests, and it never works out because the content is always spread too thinly. By making it a small village with 200 people or so, you (hopefully) have 20-50 or so meaningful NPCs, the rest filler citizens, and can just slap down a generated world then populate it with points of interest. Much better than 30 meaningful NPCs spread out across an entire fucking continent.
>>
>>334965671
As much as /v/ will disagree. I'd model the map similar to Fallout 4. It's not as linear as New Vegas and Doesn't have as many Mountains as Skyrim and there's some new location every like thirty feet so it sorta feels alive. Also note which locations you have heard of, discovered, cleared, and how many times you cleared it.
>>
>>334966003
>Every developer tries to do a city/cities with a ton of people and objects and quests
Actually, most don't. And that's the problem.
>>
>>334965671
Load it up with actual stuff to do.
>>
>>334965671

Smaller map and fewer locations, but each of them gotta be memorable. Can you name 5 memorable locations from San Andreas? Now do that with Skyrim
>>
>>334965671
make it a requirement that devs need to play gothic 1 and 2 before making an open world game so they can get an idea of how to actually do it properly.
>>
make it more than a big area with just occasional enemy spawns

witcher 3 was especially bad with this since literally everything that wasnt open space was marked on the map
>>
small but dense worlds. would enjoy more interiors
>>
>>334967934
They do, the problem is that 10 of their 'cities' put together barely constitute a small village.
>>
>>334965671
That's a cool picture, can I save it?
>>
vice city
>>
>>334969504
Go ahead, it's all yours my friend!
>>
>>334969504
>>334970529
i get the ref lol
>>
>>334965671
The open world needs to be an afterthought to core gameplay.

The developer needs to have a kickass core gameplay experience in need of a setting/environment, and then decide to go open world.

When the open world comes first and the gameplay is tailored to fit it, the gameplay is a tedious hodgepodge of bullshit.

If the gameplay comes first and they just slot it into an open world, the world has to be tailored to serve the gameplay, and that makes it superior.

Case in point: when Tony Hawk's Project 8 decided to go "open world" (this obviously being a much smaller scale than a modern game could handle) it was basically a bunch of individual skatepark levels stitched together into a single big one. You could take any random level-sized radius, drop it somewhere in the level, and have a good gameplay experience in that radius because the level design was done in service to an established gameplay paradigm. There was no padding or bullshit between "areas" because the established gameplay format would have prohibited it.
>>
>>334965671
>someone doesn't like the genre
>it needs to be fixed because someone thinks it's dull

>no care given to the people that actually enjoy it

A majority of /v/ does not hate open world games. There's a vocal minority that hate it (which is too strong an emotion for too simple a subject so it's best to just ignore them as idiots), and more that are simply tired of so many open world games coming out in such a short time from each other, with most people simply being eh about it.

Nothing needs to change or be "fix"ed. If someone wants to make a twist on the genre, that's their call, but suggesting that a genre as a whole needs to be changed, especially so that it can appeal to a larger audience, is fucking retarded, and you should probably be in that cat's place right now for suggesting it.
>>
>>334971134
shut up idiot
>>
File: IMG_0168.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0168.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>334965671
You better not hurt that cat

Cats are the best
>>
File: 1446435710085.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446435710085.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Femdom makes everything better. Yuridom is even better.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.