[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point does /v/ buy their games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: d810_160403_154.jpg (557 KB, 740x1109) Image search: [Google]
d810_160403_154.jpg
557 KB, 740x1109
Personally, I rarely buy games day one/full price nowadays and even if, only when there is a good deal. I buy them mostly when they are around 10-30€ or less. They drop in value so fast that it's simply daft to buy a new game in the first 5 months. In some cases I was able to get new games such as Arkham Knight for 32€ not even 1 month after the launch.

Come to think of it, there aren't any reasons to buy them day one. If you wait you often get them way cheaper and mostly fixed after all those patches. Sony even admitted that the day one patches got out of control. Both Sony and Microsoft screwed up big time this gen giving developer too much freedom and they obviously abused it. Last gen had much stricter rules at the beginning. (MS had a very expensive patch fee up to 100.000$, didn't allow multi DVD titles - it would enter a boot loop, games had to be 720p and have at least 2xMSAA, Sony had a per download fee of 10 cents, installation couldn't be bigger than 5GB - that's why MGS4 got a complete install/trophy patch way later)

Not even multiplayer games on consoles are a good reason anymore. Being affraid that the multiplayer might die down is complete bogus.
I recently bought BF4 Premium Edition for 20€ during the PSN sale for the PS4 and the mp is still really active. (remember, it's was a bloody current gen launch game)

A better example would be Modern Warfare 3 for PS3. I bought it for 5€ new only for the Special Ops/Survival Mode but I tried the multiplayer first not even expecting it to work at all but I was sincerely suprised that it was still very active. Tried the PC version later and same case there.

Unless you're impatient or want to participate in the launch day discussions on forums/imageboards, but even then, the best discussions about games I had were with enthusiastic people who knew every nook and cranny of older games. Also more objective since the hype died down. There isn't really that much to talk about with newer games anyway.
>>
File: 1338308258943.gif (32 KB, 650x422) Image search: [Google]
1338308258943.gif
32 KB, 650x422
>bying games
>>
>>334957115
depends on the type of game.
if its indie i just pirate it unless its really good or really cheap

if its AAA i just wait till a good sale.

The last game i bought for full price was Elite Dangerous : horizons and i have buyers remose everyday since.

im planning to preorder overwatch, i got into the last beta wave and i had alot of fun.
>>
>>334957115

Her shoes remind me of a pair of Tony Hawk sneakers I had in middle school.
>>
File: _20A4773.jpg (357 KB, 740x493) Image search: [Google]
_20A4773.jpg
357 KB, 740x493
Oh and before someone asks how I know some of the above stuff. I worked for a big European Publisher (no, not Ubisoft) during the early days of last gen and I talked a lot with the engineers. Acutally, I'm still under an NDA (10 years, almost over) but most of that suff is public anyway so who cares.

Also, you can read it in several interviews and during the e3 2005 a lot of stuff was mentioned.

http://www.1up.com/features/moore-law
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hisMQ-YRbfQ
https://youtu.be/mV3Lv3Pd3Uk
>>
File: _20A4728.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
_20A4728.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1333
Ok kids, this can be another Dark Souls thread if you want...
>>
>>334959929
I never buy games because of how fast they lose value. Not to mention I don't even play these games for more than a few hours anyway because they're just so devoid of challenge and anything remotely enjoyable at least for me.

However multiplayer games are something I have no issue with. Mostly fighting games
>>
>>334957115
I only buy games on day one if it's weebshit or obscure, since after that, I won't be able to obtain a copy.
Otherwise, I just wait until it's like $10 or $20.
>>
>>334957115

I will buy any game that

>has online multiplayer
>no map pack DLC
anything else i will not touch or would pirate instead.
>>
>>334957115
> giving a shit about price points and what the fuck ever
No.

I get (buying or pirating as seems best at the moment - generally more DLC means more likely to pirate, but that's not a hard rule) a game whenever I feel that getting that game would be good. Sometimes it's at release, sometimes it's when it's popular enough to have a good community, sometimes it's because I read on /v/ that it's good, and sometimes it's when it's 10 years old and I suddenly remember that I was going to get it.

The only time price matters is during a Steam sale. But even then it's more like "hey this looks good and it's cheap". If I really wanted the game in question I would have already gotten it.
>>
>>334957115

I only bought an Xbox 360 last year. Got it on eBay for £65, and that was very expensive compared to others. I had some money so thought I'd get one in good nick.

Went to the local CEX and got a bunch of games each for £2 - £10. Halo 4 was only £4. Forza 4 was £8 I think. Then I got GTA V from Amazon and it was like £15 I think (used)

No point in spending any more than that
>>
The only games I buy are CoD games and furry trap dating sims. Everything else I pirate
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.