[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>F.E.A.R still has the best AI >No developers are willing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: 1450744042621.jpg (31 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
1450744042621.jpg
31 KB, 400x600
>F.E.A.R still has the best AI
>No developers are willing to advance the tech
Why? I just want NPC's to plan out attacks and communicate with each other. Flank and stick to cover, lay down suppressing and other shit. Instead all we get is
>Behind chest high wall
>Poke out every 3 seconds to shoot
>One enemy will charge you or something I don't know
>>
because playtesters prefer nice graphics to "cheating" ai
>>
>>334942227
FEAR has terrible AI. 99% of the time they either bumrush or just stay in cover. Rarely do they do anything different.
>>
What the fuck is 'good AI', exactly? Like, seriously, what sort of behavior do you expect from bots to call them 'good'?
>>
>>334942308
Cheating AI is AI that reads your button presses and has RNG on whether or not they will shut you down immediately. Cheating AI is not good AI.
>>
File: 14840918208512.png (18 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
14840918208512.png
18 KB, 500x375
>The other two dudes would flank the player (green arrow) and start shooting from the weak side that gave the player no cover (red arrow again)
>Here's what actually happened
>Players didn’t always see the bad guys doing the flanking. In fact, most of the time, they were so caught up shooting at the bad guy acting as bait that they completely ignored the other guys sneaking around to bust a cap in their asses. When the other guys finally appeared and started shooting at the player from their new position, the players complained about how the stupid game was cheating by spawning bad guys behind/flanking them.
>In order to combat this “unfair spawning behavior”, players would then tactically withdraw (run away) until they were in narrow hallways where the AI could not flank. There, the players could then pick off the AI at their leisure one by one, since they had nowhere to go.
>Because this is the only tactic that worked well consistently, the players complained that the AI was dumb for just running in and getting shot while they stayed in relative safety.
>>
>>334942227
nice meme.
>>
>>334942227
Wasn't the flanking and other shit just the level design forcing the AI to retreat back to the player?
>>
>>334942713
\thread
>>
>>334942227
>hide behind cover
>enemies walk right into your fire
>>
Good A.I would mean the player gets beat the fuck out. Think about it, the A.I has superior numbers, if they played half as good as the player then he'd be dead in the first levels.
>>
>>334942713
To be fair. That is still pretty dumb then.

If they were good they would you know, not follow and instead take cover and wait for the player to come out of his narrow corridor.
>>
>>334942227

Good ai is a waste of money to program
>>
>>334942713
Even in games where this happens 90% of the time it turns into the flankers running out at you from behind cover like retards instead of just the people in front of you.

Tactics aren't the real problem, the real problem is enemies in games don't behave like they value their own life.
>>
>>334942227
>what if you had a gun
Every fucking time
I love this pic
>>
>F.E.A.R AI

it was never good itself, but it was better than some of the shit out at the time so everyone acts like it was the best ever
>>
>>334942227
>Make smart AI that reacts to the player, flanks and shit whatever
>Casual fucks (ie the majority of players) complain about unfair difficulty
>Reviewers, who are also casual fucks, mark the game down due to difficulty

It's not worth it. It's better to let people just have the power trip of being unkillable.
>>
>>334945661
>>334943290
>>334942308
You people are absolute fucking idiots. Quality of A.I. has shit all to do with difficulty of the fucking game for fuck sake. It's really fucking mind boggling that anyone could be this fucking clueless: you are adults for fuck sake.

Protyp: the FEAR, whose A.I. is everybody shitty their pants about (while in reality, it was actually nothing amazing, what really was amazing was the sound design of those things, that was 80% of the actual illusion of the A.I. being good) was a LAUGHABLY easy game. Neither were Half-life, or Halo, both of which are some of the better examples of A.I. in shooters particularly hard games. Good A.I. has fuck all to do with difficulty and I have no fucking clue how you retards could have thought otherwise.
>>
>>334942619
Did you read OP?
>>
>>334946527
FEAR AI isn't that good. They just have unique abilities that make them more dangerous, but this isn't really "intelligence", just a feature, if that makes sense.
>>
>>334942227
Smoke and mirrors
>>
>>334946702
AI that plans out attacks and communicates. Flanks, takes advantage of multiple types of cover, suppressing fire, ect. There is plenty that could be done, but no one is willing to do it.
>>
>>334942713
And that's why good level design should never feature narrow hallways, at least not without a way to access them for another side.
>>
>>334942713
Fucking this. Make people play smart and focus on their surroundings.
>>
Dear goodnes, has anyone actually read the paper for the game on its AI?

http://web.media.mit.edu/~jorkin/gdc2006_orkin_jeff_fear.pdf

The whole system was basically the developers gave all of the enemies a set of actions appropriate for what they could perform, a goal of killing the player and let the computer calculate how to kill said players with those actions by searching though the actions and performing them on the fly constantly until the goal is met.

What was amazing was how this system was already conceived in the 70's but only got put in use 30 years later.
>>
>>334947717
Wow...
>>
>>334942713
To fix this, you could easily introduce enemies with bullet proof shields acting as cover for regular enemies and basically fucking the player unless he is using grenades.
>>
>>334942713
Basically, playtesters are retarded. But so are 90% of gamers.

The best way to utilize testers is to observe them playing rather than listen to their dumb opinion. That way, after observing the cheesing tactic you can equip the CPU with poison grenades to remove the player from the hallway.
>>
>>334947717
>18 pages
ok
>>
>>334946342

>what really was amazing was the sound design of those things, that was 80% of the actual illusion of the A.I. being good

I love FEAR but people need to realize this. It's like 20% good AI (described in the paper mentioned before), 20% good level design, and 60% tricking you into thinking that they're doing stuff via communication. It's basically just confirmation bias, you hear the AI say they're flanking/suppressing, and if you see them do anything remotely similar to those actions you believe that it was part of some complex coordinated attack. The level design is huge and underrated in my opinion though. It's basically all designed in such away that the AI makes good decisions because it (almost) only has good decisions that can be made, due to the flow and openness of the level. Other shit that makes it seem impressive but is purely superficial is shit like flipping tables/cabinets over for cover, jumping over pipes/rails, shit that all plays off of the level design.

Goddamn I love it.
>>
STALKER has great AI too.
>>
>>334954227
Stalker has retarded AI with godaim
>>
>>334942619
do you even EXIST?
>>
Say what you want but Halo 2 AI was pretty good. The different difficulties actually felt and played differently.
>>
File: 1453230721502.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1453230721502.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>334954375
Naw
>>
>>334954948
TWO BLOODY GREAT HANDFULS
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.