[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
this game worth it? pros and cons?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10
this game worth it? pros and cons?
>>
>>334934151
Pros:
>shit's fun

Cons:
>no story
>>
I've played it up to the point where you get a skell. Then the chapter 7 boss broke it so many times I have to pay to have it replaced. Fun game though. Just remember that you CAN fast travel into the city from your gamepad map. It took me 15 hours of playtime to figure that out as I had just been fast travelling outside of the city and running in.
>>
it's the best RPG to date
>>
Pros
>mechs make a return to a Xeno___ game
>looks and plays great for a WiiU game
>large map

Cons
>Didn't have to be set in the real world
>Not as much British accents
>large map
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2725x2278) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2725x2278
>>334934151
Do you like exploring? Because the game is mostly that.

The story is decent up until chapter five, which then gets a bit more interesting but then drops it completely by chapter ten.

Ground combat is fun, it can be both enticing but also repetitive, though. Think Dragon's Dogma in terms of repetitive. Skells turn out to be two-bit Gundams and aren't really that interesting.

Music is a mixed bag; the vocal parts are terrible but the orchestral stuff can be pretty good.

Characters have decent voice actors but have terribly written backstories and development, save for one or two.

Try to rent it, or at least have the ability to return it if you don't like it.
>>
pros: good gameplay, great world & art design, exploration is neat, some of the sidequests are pretty cool, Skells

cons: Sawano music, no ACE+ music, no British VA, shit thin story, bog-standard anime cast, forgettable antagonists, not enough memorable cutscenes, affinity missions have stilted presentation, short chapters, too much comic relief, Tatsu jokes, Elma & Lin are mandatory party members, fourth character in your party is a walking mannequin, interactions between party members is lacking...
>>
>>334934151
What else are you going to buy for a wiiu anyway.
>>
yea i like elma and lin. But being forced to have them in your party for most of the game sucks because I want to play with the other characters too. Dream team, Boze, Hope, and Alex(? is that her name, skell obsessed one?)
>>
>>334935565
Bayonetta
>>
How the fuck do I not have all my team's smells destroyed by those fucking chimeras in chapter 12.

I can destroy the Vita in about 30 seconds keeping my entire team's skells at max health and I can tank the first round of William Birkin and half his hp bar in round 2 in just my skell but those fucking laser snakes destroy my party's skells in about 30 seconds.

What do?
>>
My wife has like 200 hours in this game. She likes the mech and all the story side quests. Too grindy for me personally.
>>
File: 1447777689792.jpg (484 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447777689792.jpg
484 KB, 1280x720
>>334934151
This is my favorite RPG of the last years, and RPGs is what I only play now.
>>
>>334936850
Alexa and you're right this game focuses too much on the main 3.
There isn't really a sense of being a close-knit team or even friends like in XC.

Like another anon mentioned the other (non-voice acted) side-quests are much more interesting like the serial-killer case or the one with the militant human group or the one with the Nopon NTR.
>>
>>334934151
>Pros:
*Some of the most enjoyable and mechanically-deep hotbar-cooldown combat I've experienced in a long, long time. While the number of arts you can put on your hotbar is limited and you cannot access arts outside of it, multiple-cooldown bonus mechanics and synergistic effects between arts give you significant reason to build an optimal setup instead of simply facerolling arts in order of cooldown.

*The sidequests are numerous and generally fairly high quality, fleshing out the world of Mira immensely, and often even idle chatter from lesser NPCs can give useful or flavourful information about the world or even other characters. That many sidequests have options that can lead you to a different ending, lock you out of some quests or open up others, or have a lasting effect on your hub town's populace is incredibly welcome.

*The Soul Voice system, based around RNG and QTEs, is notable for being customizable to a degree and helping to make less intense combat just a little bit less boring.

*Fucking stellar world design. Just amazing.

>Cons (or divisive opinion):
*The main story is fairly lacklustre. Its pacing is inconsistent, in no small part due to the episodic nature of it, and the actual content of the story is not as grandiose as we've come to expect from Monolith Soft's previous works. Additionally, the main story is significantly lacking in character development, instead relegating that to optional "Affinity Quests", quests of similar quality to the main story, with cutscenes and voice acting, revolving around any party member you are capable of recruiting and their own personal story. The decision to treat the story in this manner makes the game less about the overall plot, and more about the smaller, personal plots, something not everyone will appreciate.

*The multiplayer feels tacked-on, and has many questionable design decisions.

*The music is of a type that is incredibly divisive.

*Volume controls missing, poor cutscene sound mixing.
>>
>>334934151
If you like wide open word games with nothing to do in them get it
>>
>>334938295
>nothing to do in them
stupid
>>
>>334938130
>multiplayer feels tacked-on, and has many questionable design decisions
This so much.
Why the fuck would I give a shit if someone else earned a certain achievement?
Thankfully you can turn that and all the other online shit off.
The only usefull one is RT-farming.
>>
My GOTY 2015, spectacular game and really fun whoever thought of the Overdrive system is a god.

This is the first game I played that said you can climb that mountain and literally mean it. You can climb and stand on anything you can work your way up to even stuff you really have to reason being on.
>>
>>334938524
>can use reward tickets to bypass monster part collection in quests
So immensely useful, although I do feel like shit for giving that nopon woman materials straight out of my RT bank just so she could make a fake baby to trick the man she ran away from her husband with to stick around.
>>
>>334938663
I think what's really wonderful about the game is how most of it is accessible without flight. There's little nooks and crannies and small, pixel-thin platforms all over the place and if you think you can't get up somewhere without a mech or without flight, 97% of the time you're fucking wrong.

Shit, you can explore pretty much all of the Divine Roost without flight, except for maybe inside the flower.
>>
>>334934151
>mechs are shit
>story and characters are shit
>all the cool and weird shit in the world is never explained
I had some fun with it though
>>
I want to get this but have no space on my wii u.
Any advice on external hdd?
>>
File: Make NLA great again.jpg (459 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Make NLA great again.jpg
459 KB, 1280x720
Its got some of the best side quests in any JRPG, which is good because 95% of the game is some variety of side quest.
>>
>>334939126
I've heard seagates with a "Y" usb cord works well
>>
>>
>>334939116
Sidequests explain a shit tonne of the cool and weird shit in the world. Or at least illuminate it.

Such as, for instance, Mira basically existing in a pocket dimension outside of space and time, with virtually no space outside of the planet itself.

I'm pretty sure the moon and sun are fucking painted on and the planet is one big Truman Show.
>>
>>334934151
>Pros
big game
Skells
Runs good

>Cons
No story
End game is a grind fest
Will take over your life
>>
File: 2ds2.png (17 KB, 954x471) Image search: [Google]
2ds2.png
17 KB, 954x471
>people saying no story is bad
>>
>>334939367
Good thing you can disable most of that
>>
>>334934151
Gameplay is fucking awful, who thought that auto attack shit was a good idea
>>
>>334940725
What, you want to manually fire each bullet and control each swing?
>>
>>334940836
Ideally yes, that is how a game should be played
>>
File: 1460656416563.jpg (51 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
1460656416563.jpg
51 KB, 720x479
>>
>>334941243
Not necessarily. RTS games don't have you firing each bullet, puffing each smoke of flame, and throwing each grenade manually. Only the special abilities on some units have that function.

Similarly I don't see anything wrong with hotbar-cooldown gameplay also having that mechanic, as as far as my understanding of the genre goes, it's fairly standard that your character does basic attacks on their own after you've targeted an enemy while you select abilities to use.
>>
>pros
cool world
mechs
>cons
the story
the music
gameplay isn't really that fun
runs like shit
>>
>>334938663
>My GOTY 2015, spectacular game and really fun whoever thought of the Overdrive system is a god.

I love it, but I hope for the sequel it isn't as overpowered as it is in X. I felt as though Overdrive in X should cause your health to slowly decrease as you're overclocking your mim, or something, so you need to balance enemy attacks and soul voices to keep your health up.

Just spitballing, but when you get Overdrive down you kinda break the game.
>>
>>334941809
>>cons
>the story
>the music
>gameplay isn't really that fun
>runs like shit
Elaborate.
>>
>>334939747
Fuck off Miyamoto
>>
>>334942124
the story isn't good
the music is awful
the gameplay isn't really that fun
it has poor performance on the wii u
>>
>>334942239
>the story isn't good
You're wrong. Argue your point.
>the music is awful
Ditto.
>the gameplay isn't really that fun
Ditto.
>it has poor performance on the wii u
Ditto.
>>
>>334934765
>large map
How the fuck is that a con?
>>
>>334934151
Better than Dragon Age, Skyrim, Mass Effect, or any other AAA RPG to come out in recent memory.
>>
>>334934151

My GOAT...car soccer is a close second though.

One of the best RPGs I've ever played. Put 200 hours in it but it goes by fast because it's so fun.

Easily the best game of 2015 and probably last 5 years.

Only con i can think of is the New LA music. Other than that the soundtrack is GOAT
>>
File: Oblivia screenshot.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1198) Image search: [Google]
Oblivia screenshot.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1198
One of my favorite games of the decade, actually. Looks really incredible when you up the contrast and colors on your TV.
>>
File: one punch.gif (1 MB, 540x302) Image search: [Google]
one punch.gif
1 MB, 540x302
>>334934151
>mods are literally on suicide watch

Keep on trying mods. I am immortal.

Anyway, yes, this game is pretty fucking great. I'm currently going through the first one though, have yet to finish X. I'm on chapter 11. Their both good games, have similar and also completely different feels though. It's weird how this company does sequels.
>>
>>334942586
they're*

i'm losing my MP from dodging so much. fuck.
>>
>>334941829
There's the problem though, without overdrive, or with more cons to overdrive, ground combat wouldn't really have a way to compete with mech combat in terms of damage output or survivability, which it really needs given that mech combat was so lacklustre in comparison.
>>
It's pretty much GOTY 2015. Given the mixed back that was 2015, make of that what you will.
>>
>>334942351
>the music is awful
>Ditto.

The music is watered down shit. Enjoy listening to usual anime filler, Sawano drops that are the equivalent to Linkin Park choruses, dubstep-esque drum grooves, and karaoke-tier vocals. It's the most mainstream sounding piece of shit I've ever heard in an RPG.
>>
>>334942834

Can you try that again without the buzzwords and maybe argue your point?
>>
>>334942834
>It's the most mainstream sounding piece of shit I've ever heard in an RPG.
>He hasn't heard Persona 3/4s soundtrack
>>
>>334942906
Sawano uses first grade melodic structures & extremely predictable harmonic progression. His harmonic progressions (the underlying chords of a harmony) rarely venture any further from what you'd hear in your average Linkin Park song. He tries to hide this by dressing his music up in bombast & heavy padding. His music captures the angst & strife of nu-metal & shitty emo rock bands which is probably why young teenagers & people with first-tier taste in music worship his shitty music.
>>
File: 1454176654582.png (254 KB, 500x1400) Image search: [Google]
1454176654582.png
254 KB, 500x1400
>Pros
-Mechs.
-Huge map.
-Beautiful locations.
-Fun boss fights.
-Good soundtrack.

>Cons
-Mechs can make people neglect the much more enjoyable on-foot combat.
-Flying is given to you too early and trivializes any exploration and some later 'base-infiltration' style story missions.
-Lots of enemies with different colour palettes.
-Censorship.
>>
Pros:
-one of the best worlds in gaming both visually, design wise, and for exploration
-deep ground combat system that rewards you more for understanding how it works and how to optimize it rather than grinding (level cap is 60, many enemies go well beyond that)
-very good OST
-skells are really fun to traverse in and give a different combat system to work with
-loads of content, side missions are a huge improvement over XC
-great world building
-multiplayer if you're into it
-game doesn't hold your hand, it expects you to learn it's complex systems. Don't be surprised if you bust out the manual.

Cons:
-story takes a backside. It's not bad per say, but the bar is set way high due to it being a xeno game
-having lots of characters makes most of them not fleshed out enough
-while the ost is awesome, a lot of the better songs only play once or twice through the game
-skell combat is more simplistic than ground combat
-multiplayer is limited
-silent protag, you may not care but I don't like them. This works well for side stuff but is really dumb in main game

Also it has sequel bait, which will be great if you like the game or shitty if you don't

I highly recommend it, easily my favorite Wiiu game and the major reason why I bought it
>>
>>334942143
Its true tho. Who cares of a games story over the age of 18? read a book
>>
>>334943445
>Sawano uses first grade melodic structures & extremely predictable harmonic progression.
You mean he overuses the IV V I progression? Agreed. He also uses a lot of diverse instruments and melodic cadences to create great sounding music. It's not classical, it's not meant to be.
>His harmonic progressions (the underlying chords of a harmony) rarely venture any further from what you'd hear in your average Linkin Park song.
See above
>He tries to hide this by dressing his music up in bombast & heavy padding.
>bombast
You were so close.
>His music captures the angst & strife of nu-metal & shitty emo rock bands which is probably why young teenagers & people with first-tier taste in music worship his shitty music.
You'd probably know, being a teenager yourself, anon.
>>
>>334943632
>Also it has sequel bait, which will be great if you like the game or shitty if you don't

There is no sequel bait. It says "This story never truly ends" not "To be continued"
>>
>>334939747
I generally agree but this is a xeno game
>>
>>334943793
Whatever, we'll see this e3 or the next
>>
>>334943869
It's also an experimental game.
>>
>>334943793
>Cliffhangers and unexplained events aren't sequel bait
>>
>>334944093
Maybe sooner rather than later. They were advertising for new staff this time last year when they got word about the NX and we seen Xenoblade X a year in to development in 2013
>>
>>334934151
Pros:
It's got playable robots again after them being missing in the last game
Driving robots around is fun
World is interesting and full of alien life and cool stuff to see
Sidequests are decent
Character building and ground combat has enough depth to keep it interesting
Cosmetic armor slots

Cons:
Soundtrack is mostly shit with only a handful of good tracks, the shit you'll be hearing the most is terrible and the game doesn't even have audio sliders.
Robot customization is limited to weapons, and color and the custom color system is really basic
Robot combat is really shallow and dull
You only get the robots 20+ hours into the game
Some really grindy lite-mmo elements especially for building augmentations, robots and robot weapons
Online shit is terrible
>>
>>334943736
>You mean he overuses the IV V I progression? Agreed. He also uses a lot of diverse instruments and melodic cadences to create great sounding music. It's not classical, it's not meant to be.

I'd prefer it if he'd just write some decent music. Stop overusing the same boring, predictable harmonic progressions. How much more of a lazy cuck can you be? The guy's a hack. His music sounds generic. I want ACE+ back.

>You were so close

Bombast = high-sounding language with little meaning, used to impress people.

Perfectly describes his style over substance piece of shit music.
>>
>>334944113
True, but so was XC1
>>
>>334944367
To a lesser degree, I feel.
>>
If you get the game OP, do yourself a favor and turn off all UI elements (or at least as many as you bother). Found running around much more rewarding. Just turn on the minimap later in the game when you have explored the world. Oh, an explore as much as you can on foot. Running around in Cauldros sub level 20 is quite entertaining.

Has it's fair share of flaws (both minor and major), but the strong elements made up for that in my opinion. That doesn't mean the flaws don't exist, they are quite annoying at times.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.