[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is global PvP needed for a MMO to be good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (169 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
169 KB, 1280x720
Is global PvP needed for a MMO to be good?
>>
Phantasy Star Online 2 has zero PVP and its great.
>>
File: 1460207166655.png (175 KB, 480x368) Image search: [Google]
1460207166655.png
175 KB, 480x368
No, but tons of content, customisation and occasionally grinding is needed.

Also an active community that encourages playing with other people instead of queuing to a random, almost anonymous dungeon queue.
>>
It's not needed but it adds a lot of longevity. Old WoW had a good balance of safe zones and PvP zones, so you could avoid it if wanted but for people who liked the danger it was there.

Of course now WoW PvP is nothing but MLG Arena only faggots and is terrible.
>>
>>334922330
No
>>
>>334922330
what's even the point then, if i wanted to grind pve shit i would play diablo or clones
>>
How does Eve Online work?

I think it has safe and free pvp zones. Free pvp is self explanatory, but I think even the safe zones aren't really free, just that a cosmic police chases you if you commit a crime or something like that. Do you have to be caught in the act? Or is it automatic?
>>
No, it needs community cohesion.

Either through game mechanics, limitations, or difficulty.

RO official server right now is literally a single player grind progress quest. They made quest boards for you to grind your level up. No need for a player interaction. Despite the game have a built in party board function, nobody fucking uses it. Why use it when the game balance favors hunting X number of mobs and turn in the reward.

I remember having to party up to level up decades ago.
>>
>>334924979
if you fuck up in safe zones npc police comes to wreck your shit

it was exploited by some guys playing mafia asking people to pay for a "mining permit", if they didn't pay they would bump their mining ships away and nobody could do shit about it because otherwise police would blow them up
>>
>>334922482

They're not MMOs. Saying PSO is an MMO is like saying Monster Hunter, Toukiden & God Eater are MMOs
>>
>>334925362
that's not really exploiting anything, since griefing is perfectly accepted (and even supported) by the devs.
>>
It doesnt need it to be good, but it does need it so that retards that only enjoy pvp no matter how shitty it is will play it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.