[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much time left until you have to pay a monthly subscription fee ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: steam.png (153 KB, 3050x2233) Image search: [Google]
steam.png
153 KB, 3050x2233
How much time left until you have to pay a monthly subscription fee ?
>>
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Valve started a "steam plus" service where they charged you 10 dollars a month for some bullshit where you get a bunch of random indie games that would be worth 5 dollars together during a sale.
>>
>>334863381
One second
>>
>>334863381

What happens to all my games I already paid for if steam is a subscription service?
>>
>>334863381
1 week lol
>>
>>334863381
Never.

They might do a premium service like Gog or Humble Monthly but they lose their entire market edge if they do that.
>>
>>334863381
NEVER EVER

It's a fucking online store, it would be suicide

Some sort of premium service is possible, but dunno what it would look like
>>
>>334863381

I can see it happening, Steam has been fucking people over alot lately to be honest, First they allow all these shitty games onto steam, Then they make everyone pay fees to use the market, Then with the whole authentication bullshit the market is barely usable and is more of a hassle in time than what it should be...

TLDR - Steam has been making big mistakes lately and it's getting more common
>>
>>334865489
They've made "annoying monopolistic asshole" moves, not "suicidial moves"
>>
>>334863640
sounds like optional shit that wouldnt be bad since you're not forced to buy. compared to what OP said
>>
>>334863381
how about 4chan?
>>
>>334863381
>pay a monthly subscription fee
For an online store? They'd literally bankrupt themselves doing this.
>>
>>334865973
>Amazon Prime
>Xbox Live
>PSN
It's gonna happen in some form eventually, too much money in it
>>
>>334863381
...Why would they do that? Steam is a store. What kind of fucking store charges you at the door before you even walk inside?
>>
>>334866171
Like... Sam's Club?
>>
why would they even bother with sub fees when they already make 100000x more with people buying pixels?
>>
>>334866171
Looks like this guy has never played neo WoW! What a non-chump!
>>
>>334866423
Because Live and PS+ print money? I bet you Live money is making the Xbone profitable.
>>
It has one; the community marketplace. All the profit none of the bad will.
>>
>>334866130
>Amazon Prime
Prime is optional. You're not forced to pay it.

>Xbox Live
>PSN
Consoles charge you to play online, which I have no idea why people are alright with that, but it's different than Steam which is just a store.
>>
>>334863381
Thing is they could easily make a "Steam+" subscription plan at 15$ a month where you wouldn't have to pay fees to sell stuff on the market, had a badge display on your profile etc. and they could justify it with Server fees and Cloud storage fees, it is really easy for Steam to become a subscription-based service in the next 2 years, probably even earlier than that and honestly, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
>>
>>334866883
>Prime
>You're not forced to pay it

You are if you don't want your shipments stuck in "preparing" status for a week. Amazon is not what it used to be and they are underhanded as fuck to non prime customers.
>>
>>334866725
The reason PSN and xbox live have a cost is because everything is hosted via their network. Your subscription to them is to pay for bandwidth.

Steam is just a market interface, with all of the hosting/back end handled by the developers.
>>
valve has been pretty dumb recently but not this dumb, it would kill their whole f2p business
>>
>>334867121
It's not even the best place to buy everything.
I'm into comics and board game far more than vidya, and I can tell you that comics have better deals on In Stock Trades, Cheap Graphic Novels, and eBay, and board games have better deals on Miniature Market, Cool Stuff Inc, and eBay, and all of them have FAR better packaging than Amazon's fucking "wrap it in cardboard and stuff a thin plastic bubble in there."
>>
>>334867230
>everything is hosted via their network
lol, no it isn't. The reason they cost is because they like profits. Xbox Live for years was little more than a bunch of networking libraries and a glorified IM service, they hosted jack shit.
>>
>>334867271
Steam+ Tiers:

Free - everything's the same, no changes to current account holders and overall users

5$ a month - Profile Badge, additional customization options for Steam profiles;
Font, Custom backgrounds, no fees on Community Market

10$ a month - All bonuses in 5$ Tier + Free Random Game at the start of every month added to your Steam account, Steam+ Supporter Foil Badge

I could go on, there are tons of things they could come up with, they have fucking psychologists and economists working for them specifically in the Steam division.

You really think people wouldn't pay for autism level profile shit?
There are people who ONLY level up their STEAM PROFILES without even ever playing the games sold on the Store and they spend thousands of dollars on that shit.
>>
>>334867927
>You really think people wouldn't pay for autism level profile shit?

of course they would, but they would drop their sub after they got the unique things. its far more lucrative to have a 40 zillion types of pixels trading around 24/7 among 120 million people and valve taking a bite of each transaction. they are like bank of america, they make everything from fees.
>>
>>334867927
>no fees on Community Market
Not sure Valve would ever give that up. They make a shit ton off giving people virtual items and then charging them to trade them.
>>
>>334863381
Valve has been such a benevolent company, what makes you think they would even consider such a thing?
>>
I already due: It's the Steam sales with Valve tax.
>>
>>334868591
:^)
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.