[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate post process anti aliasing? Shit like FXAA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: FXAA.jpg (175 KB, 958x544) Image search: [Google]
FXAA.jpg
175 KB, 958x544
Why do people hate post process anti aliasing? Shit like FXAA and SMAA doesn't even blur the image much. They're not as effective as something like MSAAx64 as the image shows but jaggies are somewhat cleared up.
>>
>>334861463
Nigger are you baiting? FXAA is blurry as shit.
We don't hate post process AA, we hate that we're not given better alternatives.
MSAA on deferred rendering is literally not doable on DX9 due to API limitations but that problem doesn't exist in DX10, 11 or 12, yet developers are lazy fucks that just do poor console ports and refuse to implement something as basic as fucking MSAA and NEVER fucking use SMAA which is actually the only good post process AA that doesn't blur shit. We're always given the shitty FXAA or Temporal AA, both of which are blurry as fuck and terrible.
The right way to do it would be to give us MSAA with option to enable SMAA on top of that, as MSAA never could and by design can't handle transparency. which is where SMAA comes in.
Alternatively at least give us built-in downsampling so that the HUD doesn't become ant-sized when using driver downsampling.

So fuck you, you fucking corporate cockslurping shill.
>>
File: sad_meme.jpg (18 KB, 600x384) Image search: [Google]
sad_meme.jpg
18 KB, 600x384
TFW all AA is shit and none completely get rid of jaggies
>>
>>334862372
>MSAA on deferred rendering is literally not doable on DX9
Didn't Crysis use DX9 and use MSAA?

SMAA is less blurry but I don't find FXAA too bad.

>So fuck you, you fucking corporate cockslurping shill
:^DDDD
>>334862674
Buy a HD CRT or something.
>>
>>334862674
Dumb frogposter being objectively wrong as always.

>>334862864
Crysis 1 was forward rendered.
>>
>>334862916
Even at MSAAx8 there are still jaggies
>>
>>334863225
The only way to fully get rid of jaggies are downsampling.
>>334862916
>forward rendered
I can't into nerd terms. Explain.
>>
>>334863225
Which part of "MSAA never could and by design can't handle transparency" do you not understand retard?
MSAA needs to be supplemented with something, either supersampling or post process AA in order to cover transparency.
That's why Crysis 3 has a special form of SMAA called T2x and T4x which is Temporal SMAA (better form of SMAA) combined with 2x/4x MSAA respectively.
>>
FXAA is horrible.
SMAA is nearly acceptable, but it doesn't do all that much in my opinion
SMAA2x is atrocious, Looks worse than applying FXAA to something which is already using FXAA
MSAA is the best appropriation, but it runs better on amd cards (used to when it was actualy used) so nvidia probably helped developers not implement it.
SSAA/downsampling is the best, only play older games so I'm tending to put it on everything these days.

All these random ones like txaa, tsmafuaa and stuff all seem to be different post process filters, seems to end up as better fxaa, and you can't polish a turd.
>>
>>334863454
It's not possible to explain in layman's terms.
http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/forward-rendering-vs-deferred-rendering--gamedev-12342
>>
Bookmarked. I'm too tired to read this shit right now.
>>
>>334863549
>SMAA2x is atrocious
Of course it's atrocious, it's two passes of post processing AA which of course will result in blurry image. Basically SMAA layered on top of SMAA.

>MSAA is the best appropriation
MSAA alone looks like dogshit in modern titles that use deferred rendering as that causes a fuckton of shader aliasing (aka transparency aliasing) that MSAA can't handle, it needs to be supplemented with downsampling or post process AA.

>SSAA/downsampling is the best
In shader aliasing heavy titles even that is not enough when downsampling from 4K, you'd need to go into insane resolutions to COMPLETELY get rid of aliasing with this method, again best used in conjunction with some form of post proces AA in case of modern games, for old titles supersampling alone is more than enough.

>random ones like txaa
TXAA is MSAA mixed with Temporal FXAA.

>tsmafuaa
No such thing.
>>
I don't use any kind of AA.

I like the sharp edges because i'm not a new-age flannel wearing macfag.

Also it helps me pick out moving objects in the scenery easier because i'm severely colorblind.
>>
>>334861463
FXAA is literally blurring.

Thats why its such a cheap process and consoles make use of it, if they use AA at all.
>>
File: 1445735457121.png (28 KB, 218x183) Image search: [Google]
1445735457121.png
28 KB, 218x183
>>334861463
AA nearly always, far more so for more recent games, causes most comps to chug for minimal graphical improvement.
Jaggies or no jaggies don't change much in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>AA
>ever
No thanks. I'd rather have sharp jaggies than blurry bullshit.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.