[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Came here to ask, why are people so set on Dark Souls being known
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: hqdefault.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
Came here to ask, why are people so set on Dark Souls being known as "The Hard Game"?

It's inherently challenging, sure, but hardly to any point that it should be one of the biggest selling points of the game. To say "THIS GAME WILL KICK YOUR ASS", or something along the lines of, is the kind of false advertising that'll probably drive players off before or while they play it. That's what made me lose interest in the game the first time I played it, but a while ago I picked it up again to try and beat it, and managed to do so without much frustration, and actually enjoyed most of it.

The difficulty, if anything, is just a part of the fun, and also something to appreciate about the game. Any competent person could very well beat it, but its reputation as "the hardest game ever" just builds on itself. People can just act all elitist over it and others don't realize it's mostly just circlejerking.
>>
stfu

really
>>
It's a game that doesn't hand hold. It's obviously not the hardest game of all time but the skill floor of the game is higher than most games especially games from the past decade.
>>
>>334853720
I'm not saying that it isn't a hard game, in a way it deserves that reputation.

I'm saying that it seems like it's only thought of outside of its community as a game that you need ridiculous willpower or skills to beat, that beating it is some enormous merit, and that that's the only thing there is to the game.
>>
>>334853619
It's not a hard game. I honestly believe the only reason people think it's hard is because most games allow you to rush in and mash to win. Games like Call of Duty or the new Final Fantasy games don't reward you for being cautious. Dark Souls is an average difficulty game, our standards for difficulty have just dropped. It's about a third as hard as NES-era games.
>>
>>334854381
Agreed. Doesn't hold a candle to games like Ninja Gaiden
>>
>>334854381
How do you measure hardness, mathematically?
>>
>>334853619
>>334854134
the game is "hard" until you git gud, then it's just challenging.

casuals are incapable of git guds and drop the time after dying to the same area a half dozen times

DS3 is, game mechanics wise, the easiest souls game. It's also my favorite by far.
>>
File: dont trust dragons.jpg (122 KB, 636x896) Image search: [Google]
dont trust dragons.jpg
122 KB, 636x896
>>334853619
For some reason Bandai Namco thought that being hard was Demon's Souls' main selling point so they went for the whole "prepare to die" advertisement route.
The devs themselves said it was never their intention to make a point of how hard these games are.

"Hardcore gamers" quickly caught Bamco's bait and thought "gitting gud" would make them badass, which in my opinion is one of the main reasons it got so popular in the first place.

A success for Bamco, a detriment for the series.
>>
>>334854754
>drop the time
drop the game

>>334854381
>found out ninja gaiden black is downloadable on 360
>friend let me borrow his console since he never uses it
I have no idea how I ever beat this as a kid.
>>
>>334853619
1. It's legitimately hard
2. It's uncompromising
3. The time of release

If it released in 2004, it would still be a good game but wouldn't be anywhere near as hyped
>>
Purely marketing.

Bamco knew that the series would get way more exposure if they marketed it that way, even if it's had a detrimental effect on the series.

I mean, if you asked the average gamer what dark souls is, they'd know right away that it's "that super hard game". If you asked them about demon's souls, they probably wouldn't know what it is, even if DeS is arguably harder at times.

I'm sure there were a lot of people whose first experience was tarnished by thinking the game wanted them to go into the catacombs or new londo ruins at first, because you'll probably find those areas first. Normally most people would figure out that the game is not supposed to be that hard and try somewhere else, but when everyone's talking about how hard the game is, what reference do you have for "too hard"?

I'm sure the devs didn't plan on this when they made the game. If they did, they'd probably make the path to undead burg a little more clear. But Bamco wasn't concerned with that, they wanted the series to have a memorable gimmick.
>>
That game isn't hard at all.

It's somewhat trial & error and most boss fights are actually easier than the normal battles because the game offers you phantoms who mostly do the job for you with cases like Gaping Dragon being the exception of the rule.

The only boss fights that actually give me some sort of challenge were the Ornstein fight because i tried to win with unprepared equipment and Bed of Chaos because this fight is simply shit.
>>
>>334854568
(number of deaths) * (%complete) * (how many holes you put in the wall playing it)
>>
>>334853619
Dark Souls is like driving driving a vehicle. Hard as fuck the first time, but as you train and get used to it it gets easier and easier. You still have to maintain performance and stay aware though.

Dark Souls is not really that hard, except some newbeginners traps, and you have to learn the game mechanics inside and out. I remember ragequitting and tossing my ps3 controller into my laptop 15+ fucking times at the Golden Sentinels (Ds2 was my 1st Souls game), and I had to replace my ps3 controller twice, in addition to getting bad sectors on my HDD. You might fucking hate some bosses, but I always had that sense of: "Wow, this boss was challenging, I'd love to do him again" on almost every single boss.

The main thing about Dark Souls that makes it hard, is when you start to tilt.
>>
>>334855334
>Dark Souls is like driving driving a vehicle. Hard as fuck the first time, but as you train and get used to it it gets easier and easier. You still have to maintain performance and stay aware though.

Nice analogy
>>
>>334855240
Then does that validate me for the time I put into beating this horrible game on the hardest difficulty
>>
File: 1400631257564.jpg (364 KB, 700x4352) Image search: [Google]
1400631257564.jpg
364 KB, 700x4352
>>334855161
>trial and error
>>
>>334855514
i'd say so, i'm sure that game is retarded as fuck on the hardest difficulty. why would you do that?
>>
>>334854134
It's difficult to turn things like intricate level design into snappy buzzwords for the purpose of marketing, so the things that make Souls games good aren't advertised or memed about at all, and people think it's some kind of a masochistic test of endurance
>>
>>334853619
It came out during period when games were prone on handholding, long tutorials, regenerating shields and so on, it's sudden success brought a lot of discussion in gaming media that it was actually surprising so many people enjoyed not being handholded, tutored, and challenged. It turned up not not be a niche title, the market for this game was an _actual_ market. That is how it was discussed.
fast forward through people mad about people liking what they don't like misreading this as "lol le hardest game evir hurrr", baiting, false flagging, and all the usual internet shittery and you arrive to today, with all this controversy laying heavy on this game's image
>>
>>334853619
I'm assuming it sells. There probably exists a large amount of people who bought/preordered this game just to prove they can beat it because of the "IT'S IMPOSSIBLE" stigma.
People comparing these games to NES games are silly too, the NES had its fair share of extremely easy titles and even the some of the games known for difficulty like Ninja Gaiden can be beaten in an afternoon if you just persist a little.
>>
>>334855880
I really, honestly don't know.

I borrowed it from my friend over summer vacation. By the time I was halfway through it I was so bored I restarted it on "007 Mode" or something. Essentially instadeath, added to a badly programmed 1st/3rd person cover-based shooter. I committed several weeks to beating the game. The only satisfaction that came out of it is that it seemed to hurt my friend's ego a little, but more than that he was just shocked.

I very much regret this.
>>
>>334855864
I only died two times in Sen's Fortress

The first time was against the Mimic because it was my first

The second was when i failed a roll on the last guilloitine walk.

It wasn't hard at all because the dart traps all were clearly visible. And the lizards are just dumb.
>>
Dark Souls isn't really difficult, it was just a very different game with higher expectations on the player. No hand holding or tutorials explaining every single mechanic, no map markers and death is punishing beyond a 10 second respawn timer. Sure you die a lot, but only if you aren't willing to learn and adapt.
>>
>>334855486
Sarcasm or not?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.