[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the difference between Armor and Physical Resistance?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: 1179924726276.jpg (51 KB, 249x205) Image search: [Google]
1179924726276.jpg
51 KB, 249x205
What is the difference between Armor and Physical Resistance?

I mean in common RPG games where they have both.

Also if you were to build your own RPG, what base stats would you have? You know like Stamina, Strength, Agility, Intellect, etc.
>>
>>334797706
Armor (AC) often means dodge/negate/ricochet chance.
Resistance is reduction from damage after penetration.

My favourite system is pre-bethesda SPECIAL but some perks could be organised into trees/chains.
>>
>>334798130
Thanks for that
Building an RPG engine and I'm trying to figure out if I even want armor as opposed to physical resistance.
>>
>>334798130
>Armor means dodge

The entire point of armor is that it negates the need to evade things.
>>
>>334797706
God tier game design are ones which raise multiple stats at a time, each in a nuanced way. work great in JRPGs, best example SMT II:
STR: every point increase your accuracy, damage by one point, and hp at thresholds calculated by your VIT and STR levels
INT: Increases Evasion and Magic Attack. Also, improves demon negotication ability and MP
MAG: magic attack and MP (more than int) but doesn't increase any defenses
VIT: big hp and defense, determines special attack strength on demons
SPD: hit, evasion, place in turn order
LCK: Hit, evasion, critical hits, chance to avoid insta-death and status spells, item drop rate (all the good swords are item drops) and chance of pre-emptive strike

you can specialize and still will always have balanced defenses without feeling like you're wasting points on defensive stats. also LCK stronk
>>
>>334800641
it's not your armor, it's your armor CLASS
a knight whose armor stops 4 damage has the same armor class as a thief who dodges attacks and on average is hit for 4 less damage than he was attacked 4
>>
>>334797706
armor has different size types with different damage resistance types

physical resistance is a meme
>>
>>334797706
>Armor
A value from your gear combined that grants you some portion of physical damage mitigation.
>Physical Resistance
A percentile value that grants physical damage mitigation.

e.g. all your Armor value combined grants you 40% Physical Resistance and you have some special buff/ring that gives extra 20% Physical Resistance.

tl;dr: Physical Resistance is a wider term and Armor is part of said mechanic
>>
>>334797706
>armor
defense with added items
>physical resistance
base defense with no items
>>
>>334797706
Something interesting to think about is fractional resistance versus a damage threshold type of thing. As in, reducing incoming by 50% versus reducing incoming damage by, say, 12 points.
Using the latter automatically gives weapons that hit hard but slow a kind of armor piercing quality compared to those that hit weak but quickly.
>>
File: vtm2nd.jpg (95 KB, 807x1075) Image search: [Google]
vtm2nd.jpg
95 KB, 807x1075
>>334797706
>what base stats would you have?
I'll probably rip off vtm system with social, mental and physical groups.
>>
File: 1290327723550.png (210 KB, 781x474) Image search: [Google]
1290327723550.png
210 KB, 781x474
Thanks for the input very interesting
>>
THAC0
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 511x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 511x288
>>334800579
Hi OP, I strongly recommend you go to /tg/ and try some pen and paper RPGs, Apart from being a good way to work out game concepts before going to the effort of coding them into a lot of the CRPG terms and tropes only a really make sense when you understood their origins from tabletop wargames.

In the case of 'armour class' in tabletop games it's basically the same thing as a 'dodging' it just represents your characters ability not to get hurt.

An attack may of still physically landed a hit but it got deflected of the armour and didn't transfer damage so it still treated as a miss.

Occasionally your get times where the they might make the distinction (armour can still protect you when you've been surprised and and can't dodge, and certain powerful spells merely need to touch to you) but for the most part that's how it works.

Hope that works out, to answer your question about stats I think you should decide what sort of game play you want to make them build the stats around that rather than the round.

If you're not gonna include dialogue options then don't have charisma as it's only stat.
>>
File: 1458202511292.jpg (1 MB, 3531x4172) Image search: [Google]
1458202511292.jpg
1 MB, 3531x4172
>>334804080
Right thanks for the comprehensive reply, appreciate it.

I'm kinda questiong the basic purpose of each attribute commonly used in RPGs as I'm working on this RPG code. It's going to be an action game first and foremost and I'm just questioning some of these ideas to see if I want to use them. I guess I can for certain implement physical resistance and then implement armor values and chance in the future if I want to do it.
>>
>>334797706

Other people have given some dumb answers that aren't always, or even usually, true, so here's a better one.

Most games that have defense/armor and physical resistance as two different things, do so because they also have other types of resistances, like fire, ice and lightning resistance.

Armor/defense will mitigate damage of all types, while physical resistance will mitigate damage on top of that for physical attacks only.

A game that does this very well is Xenoblade Chronicles X. To avoid redundancy, defense is a typical stat number that reduces damage by a certain amount, while elemental resistances, including physical, are percentages, which of course means they scale much more favourably, so if you get a nice fire resistant armor early on it can stay useful throughout the entire game against fire-based enemies instead of getting quickly obsoleted as numbers grow larger.
>>
File: 1457600091353.jpg (110 KB, 631x768) Image search: [Google]
1457600091353.jpg
110 KB, 631x768
>>334804502
I see, thanks for that. I did wonder about that distinction - whether armor/def. reduces all incoming damage or just physical. I suppose it's a different ballgame if it does reduce all damage types. I will have to think about it a bit more.
>>
>>334798130
SPECIAL is pretty terrible, though. It's a quickly hacked together system made for a game that was supposed to use GURPS initially, but failed to secure the rights to.

I do like that the stats make a word though, that's really cute.

>>334801397
I think DnD did that so that you'd have to roll less dice. I prefer when original systems make a distinction between evading attacks and blocking them with armour.
>>
>>334804501
Great, sorry for my poor English (I'm not foreign just a result of the public school system)

>>334804802
Pretty much. Originally it was a mass battle miniature war game and then they decided to scale it down to an ' Man to man' size.

Established Conventions like wizards been long-range glass cannons is basically becuase they were meant to Fantasy stand in for actual cannons and mortor crew.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.