[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>flash game that you'd find on newgrounds in the early-mid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 14
File: BqCJ6kSCQAIBYHB.png (291 KB, 599x352) Image search: [Google]
BqCJ6kSCQAIBYHB.png
291 KB, 599x352
>flash game that you'd find on newgrounds in the early-mid 2000s
>30 (THIRTY) FUCKING DOLLARS

T H I R T Y
H
I
R
T
Y

D O L L A R S
O
L
L
A
R
S

What the FUCK is up with indie devs these days?
>>
i think he worked on it for something like 5 years. it has a shitload of levels. he probably wants some sort of return for the five years he worked on the game.

longer amount of labor time required to create something -> will cost more in the end.
>>
File: 1457630950257.png (368 KB, 750x582) Image search: [Google]
1457630950257.png
368 KB, 750x582
>Flash game
>3D environment
>>
>>334783427
It'd be a much bigger success at $10. It's the reason that hack Blow was asshurt that his game has still yet to break even.
>>
>>334783746
that's a possibility, yeah. my guess is that the developer knows more about what price would be best for his game than we consumers might, though.
>>
>>334783746
>his game has still yet to break even.

the witness sold more in a week than braid sold in the first year
>>
>>334783494
>not realizing that games should be identified by mechanics and not graphics
and tbf it looks like shit, interesting artstyle or not
>>
>>334783746
Only a complete retard would sell their hard work for less just to appeal to Steamtards. But I agree that 30 buckeroos is a bit much for an indie game.f
>>
30$ sounds expensive because this game looks like nothing interesting

but apparently it's a great puzzle game

are these paid? who knows
http://opencritic.com/game/2549/stephens-sausage-roll
>>
File: 1459791357104.jpg (48 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459791357104.jpg
48 KB, 1280x720
>Destructoid
>I truly can't express how perfectly made this game is. Everything about it is finely tuned to help the player succeed. Even navigating the world map, though something most will find frustrating at first, plays a large part in teaching the player. Movement in general will take time to get used to, and it is a crucial skill for the player to master. The world map will force players to fully understand exactly how the movement system works, which then correlates into more efficient puzzle solving. Plus, since the world map is literally just all the puzzles stitched together, players will already have a small sense of familiarity with stages before entering them.

>Jonathan Blow
>Stephen's Sausage Roll is such a good game.
>I'm just sayin'.
>After this game comes out, if your game design school isn't teaching it, then it is just a bad school, sorry!
>"one of the best puzzle games ever made, or one of the best video games ever made”

You push blocks
>>
>>334784171
If indie devs had a clue or vague financial plan they'd develop for a big publisher.
What they are in reality doing is flooding the market with their pixelated shit games whining the don't meet their ROI.
>>
>>334784389
Clickbait and/or new wave of shit eating critics. Who would fucking pay them, they're all just mega-hipstering because social media is talking about it.
>>
>>334784171
These idiots value it based on how much work they put into it not based on the value or optimal price. Hope reality checks these idiot indie devs hard. Stardew Valley, Undertale, Enter the Gungeon, etc. succeed because they are a good value.
>>
>>334784601
>if your game design school isn't teaching it, then it is just a bad school

i guess that means every school curiculum and budding indie game dev should buy it now amrite?!

this shit-pushing is so fucking blatant
>>
Someone look at a let's play and tell us if it's worth it or not
>>
>getting mad at free market / capitalism
>>
I'm really struggling to understand the anger in this thread.

It's a game you don't want to play and you're annoyed that it's too expensive? Even though it looks shit anyway.
>>
>>334784652
>If indie devs had a clue or vague financial plan they'd develop for a big publisher.
I see this stated a lot. A friend of mine had a gig with a small studio doing their 3D modelling, and said things were going great guns until they sent a few publishers a dev build of the game they'd been working on. They got turned down by everyone except EA, which wanted to see more of the game. The head of the studio thought it was their big break and pushed everyone to do as best a job as possible. The end result being a game that none of them talk about now and refused to even show anyone outside of the studio because of how badly contacting publishers fucked up their flow. Being told to polish a barely-there game to try and secure funding meant that features which weren't ready to be put in had to be rushed to meet the deadline. Optimisations to performance came at the cost of downgrading detail in the models. Art suffered slightly because of that as well. The studio folded and the game was cast into the abyss. He's still bitter as fuck about it and had to sign an agreement that he was never allowed to use any assets from the game in future.

He now makes phone apps for some company.
>>
>>334784652
think of it this way. puzzle games are already a niche market. the amount of people who would buy the game at 10 dollars instead of 30 is not a substantial number of buyers, since puzzle games are not popular to begin with at any price point. those who are interested in puzzle games would buy the game at 30 dollars because it promises a lot of tough brain teasers. because it promises them a lot of value/content. people interested in puzzle games do not care much about the graphics of their puzzle games, but the complexity/mechanics of them.

this puzzle game is supposedly fantastic for people who like puzzle games. that alone will sell people on the game, provided they're interested in the genre.
>>
http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/18/11450516/stephens-sausage-roll-preview-jonathan-blow-bennett-foddy
>>
>>334785048
>""""free market""""""
>>
>>334785418
oh, a libertarian.
how wonderful.
>>
Can people be more pathetic?

https://twitter.com/increpare/status/722166890425106433
>>
>>334785501
nice spooks nerd
>>
>>334783307
>be indie dev
>price your game too high
>"""complain""" about it on /v/
>hundreds of people see it when they wouldn't have otherwise
>some of them buy it
>thread dies
>rinse repeat
sage
>>
And here I was judging a little phone puzzle game I made to be worth maybe a dollar.
I didn't make shit off it anyways but it was a learning experience

This smells like an indie clique trick. I'm sure it's fun, but nothing like the second coming of game jesus I'm reading here.
>>
File: 1453394741030.jpg (21 KB, 601x508) Image search: [Google]
1453394741030.jpg
21 KB, 601x508
https://youtu.be/cuJnhM3Fu-o

Woah... so this... is the power... of indie gaming...

A dumbed version of Cuboid with worse graphics for 3x the price... woah
>>
>>334785636

>increpare doing this
>he barely even marketed his game
>>
>>334785631
don't worry friend, i too am an egoist. i swear to no spook. the only thing that matters is my self interest.
>>
>>334785172
It's ridiculous to think that a block-pushing game with the presentation of an ironic joke steam release with sub-PS1 graphics is worth $30. Combine that with the number of perfect scores and people demanding that you play it to experience its magnificence.

Katamari Damacy was $20 on its release. Stardew Valley is $15. Even Undertale is fucking $10.
>>
>>334785172
i bought that darksiders pack from a sale on steam for 4.99

5 fucking bux for 3 fairly old triple A games
>>
Well, this thread has convinced me to buy it.
>>
I suppose with the number of people who would predictably balk at the $30 price point, it would make sense to viral about that on /v/ to pick up some more sales.
>>
>>334785739
if you're right, then the game will not make its money/labor time cost back. all we can do is wait and see what happens.

i'm telling you that the graphics are not so important, though. what matters is the gameplay. if the game offers a large amount of interesting puzzles that provide quality entertainment then that should be enough to justify its price.
>>
>>334785697
well of course he didnt market his game because its obvious that his friends are doing it for him

and of course the indie puzzle faggot of the month joe blow has something to shill about it
>>
>>334785857
>>334785739
We're not getting to the core of the issue here though.

Are you upset that people will buy it at that price, or that they won't?
>>
>>334783427
So if I worked at McDonalds and took forever to make a hamburger I should get paid more for it?

The game isn't worth that much, no matter how much time you put into making it.
>>
>>334786047

it could be worth that much the puzzles might legit be genius. he should have put up a demo so people could see.
>>
>>334786028
no id laugh at them for being retards

why did you assume id be upset at people falling for a scam?
>>
>>334783427
It's a shame he's a salesman then, and not a contractor. Because when you have a product to peddle, it better be worth it's value. No one cares if it took you a decade to make, if it's crap it's crap.
>>
File: jelly1.jpg (42 KB, 600x267) Image search: [Google]
jelly1.jpg
42 KB, 600x267
>don't give a shit about cinematic trailer
>don't give a shit about graphics
>don't give a shit about story
>don't give a shit about political agendas
>/v/ still shits on it

kek
If the MC was a loli or a bara there would be no complaints
>>
>>334786047
the value of the game is subjective. you don't get to say that it is or is not worth that much. if you don't think it is worth that much, the game wasn't for you anyway. it's for puzzle maniacs, not for the mainstream audience.

the hamburger would be worth less since you burnt it to a crisp and it's no longer edible, by the way. your burger would no longer be fit for consumption. there are reasonable limits to the labor theory of value.
>>
>>334786220

omg jelly no puzzle is plain genius too bad the controls are a bit weird
>>
>>334786137
Because I asked why people are angry about this and you replied to me.

I dunno, are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>334783427
>I literally have no idea how economics works in the real world
>>
>>334786317
not every negative comment about it is met with negative emotions

what is wrong with you?
>>
>>334786382
you'd do well to elaborate on what i got wrong.
>>
>ppl arguing a thing should cost more based on the time it took

motherfucking winds of winter should be ok to cost 100$ then right?
>>
>>334785902
Prove you've bought it.
>>
File: 1458674326586.jpg (41 KB, 296x838) Image search: [Google]
1458674326586.jpg
41 KB, 296x838
>>334785929
Of course gameplay is more important than graphics. But I've seen the gameplay. You push blocks. You position blocks onto other blocks to complete the level. This shit ain't Tetris, and even then, stand-alone Tetris was $20 on release.

You can get the entire Umihara Kawase trilogy for $30 on Steam right now, and that's three games with great physics-based platforming puzzles, swinging-mechanics, and a team that actually gives a shit about presentation while still being just as fun and silly as the idea of a sausage-based puzzle game.
>>
>>334786509
I look forward to my $3000 copy of elysian shadows
>>
>>334786449
>why are you angry?

The price.

>what is it about the price that makes you angry?

I'm not angry, how dare you assume that I am.
>>
>>334786285
how can you possibly know if there is any value in this product?
>>
>>334786509
Duke Nukem Forever should've been a $600 game.
>>
>>334784171
Not really, you have to look at what you are competing at the $30 range, if the game is so basic it doesn't matter if you spend 10 years on it
>>
Idk what's everyone so upset about. Let people vote with their wallets and decide for themselves if the game is worth it. That said it look like shit and it definitely doesn't look like it's worth the price.
>>
I don't mind people charging for their shit.

With Steam refunds policy in play, it doesn't matter as long as I can get my cash back nice and quick.
>>
>>334786672
yes the price is fucking unfair
but why did you assume im angry with that comment

again what is wrong with you?
>>
>>334786489
Not him, but this isn't some moralfag shit where you feel that because you put so much passion and effort and because all your indie friends love it and you believe there's jsut soooo much content that it's worth $30. No, that's not how it works. Every game has its optimal price for maximum revenue.

Now, who knows, maybe a ton of people see value in a simplistic puzzle game that looks like a PS1 game. But based on the huge wealth of indie game prices and sales numbers we have, the best price is $10-$15 for optimal revenue and due to the low budget look and feel of this game, it could be even lower. Most people look at a $30 pricetag here and just scratch their heads. Maybe they say they'll wait for a sale, but they'll likely forget about it in a week.
>>
>>334786714
We can still discuss why this game will probably fail.
>>
>>334786489
Yeah, sure, I'll sit here and explain supply and demand so you can just say lol no it's not like that.
>>
>>334786773
Because you replied to my question asking why you were angry with a reason for your anger instead of saying 'I'm not angry'.
>>
>>334786773
>unfair

I'm sorry, what?
>>
>>334786617
i hadn't heard of umihara kawase before i saw your post. you're right that it is more impressive from a mechanical standpoint. it's actually 20 dollars for the whole trilogy on steam right now by the way. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/85452/ i might buy it.

and because this trilogy seems to be of a higher quality than stephen's sausage roll, it should sell more as a result/receive higher praise. once stephen's sausage roll bombs financially, you can rest easy. your crusade against low presentation indie titles will have been satisfied by the market.
>>
File: 1451274550370.jpg (144 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1451274550370.jpg
144 KB, 550x550
>>334786973
>answering questions now signify anger

if you wanted (you)s you couldve just asked anon

but youll probably assume im blazingly furious
>>
>>334787070

they are 2-3 hour games tho
>>
>>334786858
i don't disagree. i don't think stephen's sausage roll is worth 30 bucks either, but i know for a fact i wouldn't buy it at 10 or 15 either, because i simply have no interest in this genre. i don't think many people would see value in any game that looks as simple as stephen's sausage roll while having the graphical fidelity it has. those who do see a value in it are likely players who just have an interest in playing every relevant puzzle game. if stephen is aware of this ahead of time, it's probably in his best interest to charge a higher price, since he knows the puzzle fanatics will buy the game regardless of the price.

>>334786915
i don't reject supply and demand. labor time is not the only factor in the price of a good, it just IS a factor. i suppose i could've stated that originally.
>>
Whenever you guys make a thread complaining about the price of an indie game and blame the developer, do you ever stop to consider that the game went through greenlight first, and hence Steam/valve decided the price?
Sure, the actual process is that they suggest a price, you tell them if you agree and if you dont you also tell them how much you would want the price to be, and they will either agree(if it's not too much higher than their suggetsed price) or "explain" why their price is better(or at most raise the bar a bit), but they have the final word, not the developer.
>>
>>334787070
im sure people will ignore quality and go for it because of quantity

consumers are weird mang
people will buy a fuck huge packs of toilet paper and you dont even use that shit that much
but hey you also get a free halloween costume with it
aint that neat?
>>
>>334787251
Why wouldn't I assume that though?

There's literally no reason for you to reply otherwise. And you didn't answer my question anyway.
>>
>flash game
>3D
>>
>>334787510
i did

i thought the prize is unfair
compared to the other shit i bought for a lower price

why couldnt have you made that assumption instead when stated the shit i bought for 5 burgers?
>>
>>334784171
Pretty sure Dragon's Dogma was 30 dollars at launch, if you compare value here it really doesn't match up. There are plenty of great high budget games that are cheaper than this game.
>>
>>334785336
>puzzle games are not popular
Nobody in their right mind would buy a puzzle game for 30 dollaries in the PC, see Myst for a dead franchise once praised to the heavens.
I don't personally care how many units this game sells because it looks like shit even for 5 bucks and if you're on a nostalgia trip you could play similar games for free or low budget.
As far as I can evaluate the game, it has no unique gameplay or graphics or mechanics.
It's a big pricetag in an ocean of cheaply available similar games.
>>
>>334787794

but it's a different genre - if ssr can give 50+ hours of good puzzle solving to puzzle fans then isn't it a good deal?
>>
>>334787974
speaking of puzzle games

im sure you can play a ton of those in either of the mobile markets
for free and not 30 dollars
>>
>>334788009
A sudoku book can give you roughly the same amount of content while also utilizing a very simplistic puzzle mechanic for less than $10.
>>
>>334786047

food analogies are great
>>
>Sausage roll
That's not a sausage roll, it's a fucking sausage. If you're going to make some clichéd indie puzzle game, at least get the fucking words right.
>>
>>334788253
how about a nostralius analogy so its topical?

>so if i made a private server and it took forever to make a server should i get paid more for it?
>>
>>334788293
no, you roll the sausage into place. that's the mechanic of the game. stephen is rolling the sausage. they're not sausage rolls, you're right.
>>
File: 007794163.png (82 KB, 413x248) Image search: [Google]
007794163.png
82 KB, 413x248
i guess you could say no one on /v/ wants to see how the sausage is made
>>
>>334788375
in that case blizzard's ip is protected by intellectual property rights forcing the server to be free or the server owners will be jailed for making money off of someone else's intellectual property.

so no, they can't be paid for it at all, or they'll be jailed. the labor time -> higher value assumption assumes that a longer amount of labor time will result in more content in the game, or better mechanics/better presentation and so on.

you could call stephen's sausage roll an anomaly, considering it took many years to create and looks the way it does.
>>
Musicians playing in the metro charge no money while musicians playing in stadiums charge 100$ for a place.

If they want to charge money for it they can.
>>
>>334788586
though, i want to elaborate on something. even though stephen's sausage roll looks unimpressive and its mechanics seem simple, praise from people like john blow and the bfod guy has to mean something. having a simple mechanic is not necessarily a bad thing so long as you can get some mileage out of it. the witness is literally dragging a line from one end of a panel to another, and that game got huge amounts of mileage out of that mechanic. it did shit i never could've anticipated with that idea. that was the most impressive part of the game for me.

perhaps stephen's sausage roll is similar. not that i'll play it, but perhaps it takes something as easy as block pushing and makes it really compelling with the ways it will surprise you. that's one way i could see people like john blow or the bfod guy. it has to be of some quality to have their attention, unless they're just saying its good because the dev is their friend, which i can't verify as truth.

i might just pirate it to see if it has any entertainment value.
>>
>>334787794
Dragon's Dogma has 0 value in terms of game design.
>>
>>334787460
>people will buy a fuck huge packs of toilet paper and you dont even use that shit that much

what the fuck?
>>
>>334784248

and he still haven't break even

those two statements did not contradict each other.
>>
>>334785239
;_ ;
>>
>>334789159
Whoa, Dragon's Dogma is fucking filthy with good design choices. The problem with the game is lack of polish and repetitive enemies. From a base structure standpoint the game has everything it needs to build off of, the world is just boring and the quests are monotonous.
>>
>>334789262

>Across all platforms, The Witness has totalled over $5 million USD gross revenue in the first week, and it has sold substantially more than 100,000 units.

http://the-witness.net/news/2016/02/fun-sales-fakts/
>>
>>334789262
You got a source for that sempai?
>>
>>334789513
Jonathan Blow has been self funding the game for years, ever since Braid was finished iirc. He also had an actual team to pay for this one.
>>
>>334789513

So with $5 million, he still hasn't broken even? How much did he fucking spend on making it?
>>
>>334789880
>>334790067

that blog post is one week after release

it's been 3 months

he probably broke even.
>>
File: 1452166131950.jpg (68 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1452166131950.jpg
68 KB, 700x700
Those fucking indies.
Setting the price they want.
Valve shouldn't allow it.
It's not fair.
>>
How much would you pay for miegakure /v/?

http://miegakure.com/
>>
>>334791476
I will be honest
$1 during humble bundle
>>
>>334783494
Unreal Engine 3 was ported to Flash.
>>
>>334785048
Was he mad though? He was only making note of the price that in his opinion didn't match the level of quality of the product.
>>
>>334783307
You don't have to buy it you know.
>>
>>334784328
>only a complete retard would lower his cost-per-unit by 1/3 to get over 3x as many sales.
>>
>>334793298
Technically this could be true if it was a physical product (if the cost to produce more units is higher)

But since this is digital software, the cost to produce more units is for practical purposes zero, more trivial than ctrl+c, ctrl+v
>>
>>334784328
>Only a retard would appeal to people to make more money
>>
File: give it to me Steph.jpg (244 KB, 1024x899) Image search: [Google]
give it to me Steph.jpg
244 KB, 1024x899
Here's a game that needs a fucking demo.
>>
File: oh word.png (526 KB, 503x700) Image search: [Google]
oh word.png
526 KB, 503x700
>>334793298
>>334793717
>>334783746

the real confusing thing is how completely sure of your numbers you people are despite the fact that you're relying on nothing but "common sense," i.e. pulling them out of your ass based on a rudimentary understanding of how markets work.

Fact of the matter is that when it comes to niche goods like this there's no way to be as confident of the relationship between price and sales. In fact right now the only thing separating this man's game from scores of shovelware puzzle games in the comsumer's mind is the price. He's got a product with a quality he's confident in, it's gotten noticed by big names in the game dev community already, so he knows he can get recognition: what he's doing is putting it at a premium price point that will attract only the kind of customers who are more likely to understand his product and review him favorably.

He's pricing out all the "noise," people who would pick it up just on a whim—specifically seeking to avoid impulse buys—whether or not they actually like the genre he's created. Once he's rock solid on a platform of enthused customers willing to explain and defend his product at length and he no longer has to shoulder the burden of educating the consumer base alone, he's free to start putting it on sale knowing that people will know what to expect when buying his game.

This is all the most basic shit in the business world. Literally 101 courseware shit. Right now you guys are all Steve Ballmer going "OLOLOL WHO THE FUCK WOULD WANT TO BUY A 600 DOLLAR IPOD PHONE WITH SHIT HARDWARE AND A LOCKED STORE" right before Apple stomped his shit inside out. This is why Crusader Kings was priced like it was. This is why the Stronghold games retain their price for so long. Offworld Trading Company. Factorio. This dev is in an even better position than them, because he's not the head of a studio where he's got to make sure everyone's getting paid. He can hold off as long as he feels comfortable.
>>
>>334790067

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/12/the-witness-is-jon-blows-second-shot-at-all-or-nothing/
>"Like I said, I just hired two more programmers and that's expensive. I'm spending all the Braid money on this game," Blow said. That's right: all the Braid money."
>>
>>334788293

/v/ can take the fun out of anything
>>
>>334794675
and it already superceded braid in returns by month 3.
so good call blow.
>>
>>334794542
>specifically seeking to avoid impulse buys
unless he's also seeking to avoid refunds this is still stupid.
sales are sales.

also
>a simple game that looks like it belongs on newgrounds is comparable to a complicated looking game like crusader kings
>an indie game is comparable to the iPhone, released by a large company with extant brand recognition via the iPod and iMac.
>>
shills get out reee
>>
>>334794542
>the only thing separating this man's game from scores of shovelware puzzle games in the comsumer's mind is the price
The only thing seperating them is that scores of shovelware puzzle games are in their minds while his is only in the minds of shitposters on /v/

A digital-only copy of Tetris isn't worth $30, and this ain't no Tetris. Debatability about whether Tetris is a puzzle notwithstanding.
>>
>>334785172
could it be that nobody's angry, they just think the price is odd?
>>
>>334787439
Look at the creator's Twitter and tell me the price isn't intentional.
>>
File: file.png (501 KB, 1772x909) Image search: [Google]
file.png
501 KB, 1772x909
>>334794867
If you can't see why a developer would avoid impulse buys I don't know what to tell you. The thing is that building name recognition is hard, and often the things that would grant a dev easy money in the short term are antithetical with building good name recognition.

>>334794971
Tetris also has 0 problems with name recognition: it is basically videogame royalty. Everybody knows what they're expecting when they see the name "tetris." Nobody's going to buy Tetris and then take a shit on their steam reviews because it's not what they wanted from a puzzle game (again taking your cue here and sidestepping the whole "is tetris a puzzle game" debate). Well, actually they might, but they're definitely going to be outnumbered.

>>334795407
It is 100% intentional.
Alright so right now the tags associated with Sausage Roll are "indie" and "puzzle," about as nebulous as it can get. Let's take a look at new releases in both categories (see pic). Is anyone going to argue that these guys, releasing at roughly the same time as sausage roll, are posting better profits than Sausage Roll right now? Do you think they ever will?

If there's one thing you'll allow me to pull out of my ass here that I don't think I'll get much pushback on, it's that these guys are not going to see significantly better sales numbers in the short-term just because they priced themselves at one tenth SR's pricepoint, NOR are they going to see significantly better profits in the short OR long term.

And it's not even pulling out of my ass: number of reviews on these are equal at best.
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 1772x909) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1772x909
>>334795975 >>334795407 >>334794971 >>334794867
whoops, didn't flatten my image
>>
>>334786617
>You can get the entire Umihara Kawase trilogy for $30

And here we have the false equivalency fallacy in full effect. It doesn't matter what other people are charging for their games, that doesn't determine what is "right". Nothing fucking does, all prices are inherently arbitrary. If he wants to charge thirty dollars, he can do that, and he's not wrong to do so. It's his to do as he wants.

NOW, you are free to laugh at him and not buy his shitty game, too. You're not wrong there. But don't attack his price point like there's a problem with it, the only one with a problem is him because it's probably not going to sell.
>>
>>334795975
>Is anyone going to argue that these guys, releasing at roughly the same time as sausage roll, are posting better profits than Sausage Roll right now? Do you think they ever will?
Why not take a look-see and compare?

https://steamdb.info/app/353540/graphs/

depending on how we quantify profit you'll probably get different answers.

(if a game took half the time to make and made 2/3 the revenue*, do we count it as a success or a failure?)

*revenue because we can't tell whether the game was made only at the cost of time, or if some other financial investment came into play, making "profit" the wrong word.
>>
>>334796202
>because it's probably not going to sell.

well it's on page 3 on top sellers right now
>>
>>334786509
What about Duke Nuekm Forever?
>>
>>334796202
>But don't attack his price point like there's a problem with it
depending on how petty you are you can make the case that his price-point, being his choice as an indie-dev, shows a certain smugness or otherwise undeserving belief in the worth of his product.

that sort of contention is usually best left unraised since it will kickstart huge amounts of faggotry and food analogies, though.
>>
>>334784601
>Everything about it is finely tuned to help the player succeed.

I mean. That's what controls are supposed to fucking do. What kind of selling point is that?
>>
Why is everyone discussing it under the assumption that the game is bad?
>>
>>334796447
I specifically didn't go for relying on steamspy data since I was concerned I'd be called out over their inaccuracy on new releases, but I have the steamdb chrome extension so I'll confess: I wasn't pulling my assertion completely out of my ass, hence my confidence.

>if a game took half the time to make and made 2/3 the revenue*, do we count it as a success or a failure?
really good point actually, I think to properly account for that we'd need access to a bunch more information, like actual hours the devs were putting in over the span of development etc.
>>
>>334794971
this game is MUCH better than tetris. and yes, i know what i am saying.
>>
>>334796670
1. its /v/, every game is bad
2. its an indie game, this is /v/, every indie game is bad
3. its an indie game asking for more than $5, therefore its bad
>>
>>334796447
><10 max online on some of the example titles, even with <$1 prices
holy shit this tickles my schadenfreude
>>
Stop advertising your shitty fucking game here you 30 something your old neckbeard basement dweller.
Go ask you sjw fag friends to buy your shitty over priced game
>>
>>334797182
><10 max online on some of the example titles, even with <$1 prices
pretty much this exactly
why sell at ludicrous markdown prices in the hopes of courting whim-purchases when in the end you don't actually get anywhere near significant return for it

they're shooting themselves in the foot.
right now the only thing they have going for them at that price point is that /v/ hasn't made a thread about them bitching that they're charging too much.

And, honestly, is that even a plus? Essentially that boil's down to even less visibility.
>>
>>334794542
Most sensible post I've read on /v/ in a long time. I genuinely don't get how people of this board get so retarded about pricing and think they have any idea how anything like this works.
>>
>>334783307
i started watching this faggot playing it and unable to solve the 1st stage and now i really wanna play it, but im not paying $30
>>
>>334783307
is there a torrent up?
can someone buy it, then we chip in for the download link?

having watched some videos it seems like a really challenging and unique puzzle game, but im not paying $30 for it. id pay $5, maybe $10 if i bought into hype
>>
Why do people think he cares so much about money? He releases free games all the fucking time.

http://www.increpare.com/
>>
File: Correct answer.jpg (56 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Correct answer.jpg
56 KB, 600x600
>>334783307
ITT people complaining about shitty games shitty price. If you want to play it that bad just pirate it, if you're complaining about $30 i assume you pirate your games anyway. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)
>>
>>334785239
>People were demanded to work hard and fucked up.

OH THOSE POOR SOULS. No really, sorry about your friend but what's with this attitude to game developers where they have to be protected and everyone has to praise them and let them work at the pace they want?

Is the videogame industry so full of special snowflakes? In 99% of the jobs people are pushed all the time to fulfill a cuota, or work harder or whatever but I always hear about devs with "nooo take your time, here have another million dollars so you can be a lazy asshole"

Again I don't say your friend's case is that but not pushing people and demanding them to do their WORK leads us to things like Starbound or like OP. A dude saying he worked on his game for 5 years and I don't see that 5 years work anywhere.
>>
>>334786047
I you make it too fast you should get paid less

Because that's funny.
>>
>>334799909
why are you talking shit on devs who literally make your hobby possible? you're also taking what that anon said and twisting it, because he didn't say any of that. he literally just described an anecdote from his friend.

i really feel that you should kill yourself, i cant take this stupidity this early in the morning
>>
>>334785636
>be a faggot who killed voar.io
>do this
>faggots swarm in your thread and applaud
>>
I'd nab it for $20
Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.