[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your overall thoughts on this game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 43
File: header.jpg (5 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
5 KB, 460x215
What are your overall thoughts on this game?
>>
>>334775723
8/10
>>
Good
>>
I had fun playing it, but
>Easiest RPG I've ever played
>Hard mode is unfinished
Wtf Toby?
>>
>>334775723

Shit visuals
Neat gameplay
Amateurish/unprofessional feel
Heavy handed emotional scenes
Nice story
10/10 soundtrack
Hit or miss humor

7/10 good game
>>
>>334775723
My thought is you should take it to the other thread.
>>
>>334775723
meme game
>>
File: 1447718482545.png (456 KB, 1253x1287) Image search: [Google]
1447718482545.png
456 KB, 1253x1287
>>334775723
I've never played it but i really like this robot
>>
>>334776023
The other thread has devolved into the same two or three anons bitching about whether the music was stolen or not. No thanks.
>>
File: 3xtixJgJ1qg.png (192 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
3xtixJgJ1qg.png
192 KB, 500x357
Great game overshadowed by a SHITTY fanbase. Will probably be remembered as one of the all-time indie greats a couple years down the line.
>>
it's alright; it wasn't a good game but it's a nice story. I'm a little upset that asgore didn't get a genocide fight
most people won't look pass its fanbase and people who shit on the fanbase
>>
>>334775989
>Shit visuals

They're supposed to be shit, therefore they're good.

>Amateurish/unprofessional feel

It's supposed to feel that way, therefore it's good.

>Heavy-handed emotional scenes

They're supposed to be that way, therefore they're good.

>Hit or miss humor

The humor is supposed to be this way, therefore it's good.
>>
File: 56294676_p1_master1200.jpg (147 KB, 666x780) Image search: [Google]
56294676_p1_master1200.jpg
147 KB, 666x780
>>334775723
didnt care for it, the battles seem way to tedious for a random encounter system, unless i missed something, only played it up til right after the papyrus fight
character movement controls also felt sloppy
i can appreciate a lot of the concepts tho
>>
Its good, especially if you are going into it blind. Just don't discuss it with people over the internet.
>>
>>334776046
Danke, doktor.
>>
I actually really liked it. I, like the vast majority of /v/, went full shitpost mode on it because of the nonstop threads and autistic fanbase. I eventually played it and did all the routes. I played the demo months before the game came out and thought it was okay, but honestly the Ruins are the shittiest part of the game. Sure there is some SJW shit shoehorned in, but I actually found myself smiling like a retard through most of the game. Also the soundtrack is fucking top notch.
>>
>>334775989
>Neat gameplay
While I genuinely liked the gameplay, it gets repetitive making your way to boss fights fighting the same enemies over and over. Also, Muffet was the worst boss fight with the worst fight mechanic
>>
A great game tainted by a cancerous fanbase.
>>
>>334776734
> fruity loops
> top notch

Pick one
>>
>>334776356
HEY HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS GAME? MAKE SURE YOU PLAY IT IN THIS SPECIFIC WAY DESPITE PART OF THE NOVELTY IS MAKING YOUR OWN CHOICES
>>
File: vomit.png (248 KB, 362x437) Image search: [Google]
vomit.png
248 KB, 362x437
>>334777091
I swear to christ watching Streamers try to play Undertale is just plain painful. Etika's entire playthrough hit roadblock after roadblock thanks to the autistic chat.
>>
>>334777019
>amazing composition
>smart use of soundfonts
>great synthwork

What else could he have done? Gotten a live fucking orchestra to perform the instrument parts to overlay with chiptune?
>>
File: tj7x8yi.png (223 KB, 1461x1075) Image search: [Google]
tj7x8yi.png
223 KB, 1461x1075
Like it, even got emotionally involved with it despite incoherencies in the manipulative narrative bothering me.
One of the freshest experiences in quite a while, a neat little surprise during an era where even the indie scene has begun to feel same-y.
That said, it's not an end all to video gaming. 10 years from now, it won't be uttered in the same breath as the lampposts of gaming such as Super Mario Bros. or Doom. And though the fandom can be amusing, it's mostly as autistic, sexually frustrated and as circlejerkical as any fandom.
>>
It's a fun game even though some of the humor was a bit ehh. Soundtrack is pretty exceptional and the fighting mechanics are interesting. Game's short though and the fans give my thoughts cancer

8/10
>>
>>334777253
That's why Cryaotic's the best playthrough. Good voice, only differing slightly for characters, and good, honest reactions to things.
>>
>>334775723
Needs a boss select mode
>>
>>334777253
The recorded playthroughs are the only fun ones, streams are doomed to suck. Sip's playthough was so fucking good because of how he was trying to save face despite killing literally every major NPC and his comment section going nuclear. Shit was funny.
>>
>>334776734
>the Ruins are the shittiest part of the game
They're right up there with Hotland. I think at least the "Home" section works well although you go from living at home with a mother figure to fighting to the death REAL fast.
>>
File: 1456349938002.png (452 KB, 759x877) Image search: [Google]
1456349938002.png
452 KB, 759x877
>>
File: 1450822057243.png (856 KB, 629x1000) Image search: [Google]
1450822057243.png
856 KB, 629x1000
>>334776734
>Ruins are the shittiest part of the game
That would be the second-half of Waterfall. Which is ironic since everything about the first half makes it the best.
>>
>>334777684
Is Lisa nay good? I keep seeing it brought up alongside Undertale but I've heard mixed things. Is it just as short as Undertale? Pretty much all I've seen the combat system and it looks decent.
>>
I really enjoyed it. I'd say an 8.5, prolly, mainly because of that God tier soundtrack.
>>
Loved the game, hate the fanbase.

I stay away from all Undertail threads so I can keep my original view of the game unadulterated.
>>
>>334775723
another pixelshit indie game that i will never play
music is cool though
>>
>>334775723
It's an okay game but the fanbase is filled with sjws that make it worse than the sonic and fnaf fanbases combined
>>
File: 1447055220440.jpg (344 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1447055220440.jpg
344 KB, 1280x960
love the game

hate majority of fan content, and its hard to find fans who dont roleplay and gush about it all the damn time
>>
It's impressive how pretty much everyone who actually played the game liked it. Anyone who says the game is shit and that they hated it is either so blatantly shitposting it's sad, or judges the game strictly by the fanbase,

Undertale's probably the only game in history to manage to get every player to like it. Sure, some might not think it's the greatest game ever or something, but nobody plays it and goes "wow, that sucked."

Take this thread, for example. If this were about any other game, you couldn't make it past two posts with someone saying they genuinely didn't like it. But with Undertale, everyone who's played the game says they liked it.

And the music manages to be even more impressive in that regard. Even shitposters usually can't bring themselves to talk shit about it. Just look at >>334778637

Undertale isn't even my favorite game, but I have to admit, it'd probably set records for how much universal love a game (and it's soundtrack) can get.
>>
>>334778990
>It's impressive how pretty much everyone who actually played the game liked it.
You've said this before. It's still not true, you delusional fruitcake.
>>
File: 1448401905676.png (63 KB, 550x334) Image search: [Google]
1448401905676.png
63 KB, 550x334
>>334778990
I agree with a lot of stuff you said, but just blaming all criticism on shitposters just makes you sound like a child. The game isn't perfect and isn't going to be loved by everyone who plays it.
>>
>>334779209
I have yet to see any evidence proving me wrong.

The closest you'll get is having people who played the game hate it because they had already told themselves to hate it before even starting.
>>
>>334778990
>Undertale's probably the only game in history to manage to get every player to like it

I have a really hard time believing this.
Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but there's a ton of shit that's very polarizing and would turn people off. Specifically Alphys and everything surrounded her. I thought she was kind of interesting even though I didn't like her much. I also felt the whole true end shit with Asriel going full not even my final form felt shoehorned and cheesy and not neccissarily in the good way. The Neutral endings are far more interesting than extremes if you ask me.

Really the only thing that everyone seems to unanimously agree on is the music.
>>
>>334779435
>The closest you'll get is having people who played the game hate it because they had already told themselves to hate it before even starting
Where have you been the past couple months?

There have been plenty of people criticising the games visuals, characters, and narrative for a long time now. Especially in debate threads that have had a distinct lack of shitposting.
>>
>>334775723
The humor didn't resonate with me. I think it's unfair to judge a game that is supposed to be carried by the humor when the humor doesn't hit you in the same way it hits someone else.

The game itself mechanically was basic. The endings were boring, and anything short of blindly following pacifism or genocide gave you an underwhelming ending that told you to try again.

I'm not gonna give it a rating out of 10, but I see why people like it. I just personally found it a chore to beat and play. Nothing was as funny as described, none of the characters were all that interesting to me after saving them.

Also blatantly making saving everyone the "right" choice sucks. Some characters are actively trying to kill you. If you decide to save everyone, some of those people should use it against you, not just become your friends.
>>
>>334779343

He didn't say love, he said like
>>
File: girugamesh.png (271 KB, 616x1667) Image search: [Google]
girugamesh.png
271 KB, 616x1667
>>334778804
That Papyrus makes the picture.

>>334778990
You're wrong. I remember people in past threads specifically having their expectations let down by everything after the demo. There are people who feel the game was average or just something to do, but they're drowned out by assholes and shitposters.
>>
>>334779828
he clearly said love
>>
>>334779828
It's still not true and accusing people who didn't like it of "not playing it" is cult-like behavior if not childlike
>>
>>334779607
>>334779746

I'm not saying the game is perfect, or that legit criticism is never brought up (granted, even that's rare compared to pretty much any other game.)

I'm saying that, regardless of how many issues someone might have with Undertale, they always end up liking it in the end. Now compare that to literally any other game. Even games /v/ mostly loves like MGR can't reach that kind of height.
>>
>>334779435
I played the game with positive intentions. I was underwhelmed. It wasn't funny. The gameplay was repetitive and quickly became about just finding the commands that ends the fight as quick as possibly.

The game abruptly ends if you play it normally and don't kill everyone or save everyone. Nothing about it aside from the music stuck out for me, and Toby's done far better music for Hamsteak.
>>
File: prance.gif (2 MB, 474x370) Image search: [Google]
prance.gif
2 MB, 474x370
>>334779828
>it'd probably set records for how much universal love a game (and it's soundtrack) can get.

Even if he didn't, my point still stands. No one game is going to ever be liked by everyone that play it, and those that don't like it shouldn't immediately be shoved into an individual category because of someone else having a complex.
>>
>>334775772
9/10
>>
>>334779771
That last bit I completely agree with.
>>
>>334780068
>regardless of how many issues someone might have with Undertale, they always end up liking it in the end
That definitely isn't the case, but given the kind of posters that have been prominent on /v/ in these threads over the past couple months, I can't really blame you for adopting that mindset.
>>
>>334780068
I do not like the game.
The issues I have with it are numerous.
Nothing has made me like it.
Now please, stop telling me how I feel about a game.
>>
>>334780114
I'm not "immediately shoving" anyone into any category. People who say they didn't like the game either make it it painfully obvious they haven't played it ("LOL MEME GAME, SJW PANDERING, etc.), they openly admit to not playing the game due to the fans, or they openly express disdain for the game's fanbase and the hype surrounding Undertale before actually playing it, which usually leads to them forcing themselves to hate the game no matter what.

With Undertale, it's never a simple case of "played it, didn't like it." There's literally always outside influences that play a part in their judgment, moreso here than with any other game.
>>
>>334776840
I honestly disliked her entirely outside of the Little Miss Muffet theme and song. Personality, design, and battle were all lackluster to me and I feel like the only notable thing about her role in the game is her cute relationship with spiders and the callback to her spider bakery sale at the very beginning.
>>
>>334775723
Notice the date. This was posted BEFORE the final poll started.
>>
>>334780567
I played it.
I didn't like it.
Will you stop?
>>
File: 1453680670477.png (410 KB, 598x460) Image search: [Google]
1453680670477.png
410 KB, 598x460
Horrible game. Just google for screenshots. Graphics were literally done in MS paint. Nothing but a shameless cashgrab aimed at nostalgiafags, any entry level coder could have made this game, yet they had the gall to charge USD for it.

It really is just a tumblr meme game, don't get trolled by the neo /v/tards.
>>
File: oh hey a door.png (32 KB, 643x480) Image search: [Google]
oh hey a door.png
32 KB, 643x480
>>334780075
For a game about where choices matter, very few choices impact events mid-game. Snowdin was great because who you murdered was just as relevant as the act of murdering itself. After that, it only affects what kind of dialogue appears in the neutral ending. The world is deeply interconnected (ex: Napstablook being in your way has an in-game explanation), but I guess there was so much to keep track of that Toby simply couldn't keep that level of quality for the entire game.
>>
>>334780724
And you were likely negatively influenced by the fanbase and hype before playing the game.
>>
>>334775989
Pretty much this
>>
just another tumblr game for faggots

the fans are just as bad as bronies

fuck off
>>
>The Undertale meme is finally over
Thank god
>>
File: 1459814214677.jpg (13 KB, 279x181) Image search: [Google]
1459814214677.jpg
13 KB, 279x181
>>334780567
>''I'm not immediately shoving anyone into any category.''
>Immediately starts naming categories he shoves people in.

Just stop.
>>
>>334775989
>Amateurish/unprofessional feel
Considering it was made by someone who is nowhere near a professional I think this is excusable.
>>
>>334780845
Nope. I played the demo.
You can't just lump me and others into the bin if "Wow they must have hated the fanbase"
No, I just do not like the game. The visuals are bad. The battles aside from bosses were repetitive. The characters were all cookie cutter and seemed designed to deliver jokes that I didn't enjoy.
The ending you're expected to get on your first playthrough is garbage. Subsequent playthroughs lose their charm because now you're just trying to get an ending.
Stop pretending everyone is wrong or didn't experience the game "Right" to not love it.
>>
>>334780845
>WAAAAHH YOU DIDN'T LIKE A GAME I LIKED, ITS NOT THE GAME'S FAULT, IT'S PERFECT IN EVERY WAY
get over yourself you fucking child
>>
>>334777019
You've never used it in your life, have you?
>>
>>334781110
I don't shove people into these categories, they put themselves into them.
>>
File: 1448167212255.png (117 KB, 500x657) Image search: [Google]
1448167212255.png
117 KB, 500x657
Game still needs a way to kill that demented fuck Chara.

It would be nice if you could go Genocide all the way up until Chara asks you to Erase or Not, close the game via task manager so you can reset (which would secretly set a flag), do a Pacifist Run, and get a new final boss against Chara where you and Asriel fuck him raw sideways.

Give him enough power to draw him out during Genocide, but cockblock him at the end so that he manifests himself through pure rage during pacifist, even though you don't give him any power through LOVE, letting you murder that fuck once and for all.
>>
>>334776102
That's a ghost anon...
>>
>>334781117
There are fan games that feel more professional than Undertale. It's a priced game. Not excusable.
>>
>>334780589
I still don't understand why /v/ took a GameFAQs best game ever poll so seriously. I used to go to that shithole for like five years until Japan Time on /v/ happened and people there always shitted on them and the character battles because the results were always retarded since they just boil down to "what game/series has the largest and loudest fanbase." I'm pretty sure the only people who actually cared were autistic boards for specific games who want to circlejerk about "winning" over other boards.
>>
File: Charadroid.png (193 KB, 800x1035) Image search: [Google]
Charadroid.png
193 KB, 800x1035
>>334781341
Chara only becomes a demented fuck because you corrupt him through murder.

When you're a Pacifist all he ever does is think about his brother/dad and narrate various lines of dialogue.
>>
>>334781127
Even back when there was just the demo, people were acting like faggots over the game. You didn't have to play it just recently to be effected by the hype.
>>
>>334775989
this exactly although i'd give it an 8
>>
>>334781780
And I didn't listen to the faggots.
I played the game. I knew what to expect from the game when it released.

Stop with his No True Scotsman shit. "Everyone who plays undertale loves it"
"I don't like it"
"Well you didn't play it/played it incorrectly"
>>
>>334781489
What criteria are you using to judge its "professionalism" by?
>>
File: 1460083939639.png (75 KB, 325x244) Image search: [Google]
1460083939639.png
75 KB, 325x244
The game itself doesn't leave much for exploration. You're basically walking from point A to point B with a couple of random encounters and boss fights thrown in the mix.

The fights themselves are pretty meh. It's fun to figure out how to spare the enemies the first time, but after that it's nothing more than a chore considering how piss easy they all are.

Same thing for the boss fights, although I admit enjoying reading what Papyrus and Sans had to say while fighting them.

The graphics are just sad. While some environments are passable, most character sprites look like a down-syndrome version of the character they're supposed to represent.

The characters themselves are alright. Aside from the Skelebros, none of them really stick out for me, except maybe for Alphys, but for all the wrong reasons (HEY HUMAN, LET ME HINDER YOUR PROGRESSION EVERY TEN SECONDS BECAUSE I NEED TO REMIND YOU HOW SOCIALLY AWKWARD I AM)

The story is alright, but the concept of ''you can finish the game without killing a single thing'' falls flat on its face when some of the characters are flat-out trying to kill you.

The Genocide run is nothing more than a grindfest, and even though that was Toby's intention, making a part of your game so terrible is inexcusable.

The music is top tier though.

Overall, I give the a 6/10, +1 point for the amazing music, for a grand total of 7/10
>>
>>334781780
I fucking hate modern internet culture hyping the shit out of everything that gets released
>>
>>334781576
Then why, during the Pacifist ending, is it shown that Chara wanted, from the beginning, to murder his entire village? Chara wanted to kill them all; Asriel was the one that stopped them, which means that he was demented from the beginning.

True Pacifist seems more like Frisk resisting Chara than Chara guiding Frisk to kindness.
>>
>>334781943
Polish, attention to detail, and not being too basic or something that could have been done by most amateur developers.
>>
Game was a short, but entertaining diversion. Music was great. The fan art is making me realize that goats can be sexy. The fanbase is fucking weird.
>>
>>334782035
Refrain from engaging with Charafags. They are the most deluded of all fags.
>>
>>334782139
>attention to detail

Undertale has more attention to detail than any game to date, even if it's just to compensate for its short length.
>>
>>334781127
>The ending you're expected to get on your first playthrough is garbage. Subsequent playthroughs lose their charm because now you're just trying to get an ending.

i wish the different routes were more distinct from one another. having to redo large portions of the game only to receive a phoned in additional line of dialogue is tedious

if toby actually put effort into making the neutral route more distinct from the others instead of fistfucking you with the "LOOK AT HOW MUCH FUN YOU COULD BE HAVING IF YOU WEREN'T A PSYCHOPATH FOR KILLING PIXELS" message it could have been awesome

as it stands the game mostly resonates with lolrandom retards, fanartists, and people with autism
>>
>>334782385
>any game to date
You seriously believe this...
>>
>>334782437
This is why the fans are cancer
>>
>>334782619
Yeah I try not to rag on fanbases but UT is almost becoming like a religion at this point.
>>
>>334782437
Have you even tried looking into all the little secrets, easter eggs, and extra touches that are in Undertale. They're damn near endless from both a gameplay and a story standpoint.
>>
>>334782692
I played the game, and thought it was okay. The fans think it is perfect and absolutely nothing is wrong with it, and if you criticize it the sperg out on you
>>334782819
Like this
>>
>>334775723
Shitty graphics would not try.
>>
>>334778804
>hate majority of fan content
Agreed. But alot of the fan content that doesn't fit into the shit category is pretty good, especially the fucking music.
>>
File: hmmm.png (10 KB, 349x300) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.png
10 KB, 349x300
It's the first game as far as I know to break the fourth wall for a purpose other than comedy/horror

SPOILER! Like how when Asgore breaks your mercy button, that was powerful.

It manages to shift tone so seamlessly. Most of the time a mood shift like this is an awkward shift at best and immersion shattering at worst. But Undertale for reasons I cannot explain managed to have both humor and tragedy and I couldn't tell you at what points it switches from one to the other.

God tier soundtrack. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I still play it in the background while playing other games every now and then. It's just so amazing how it managed to convey the mood of every scene so well while also sounding amazing.

My main issue with Undertale is the cancerous community, but that's hardly the game's fault. I'm worried that any game with at least two anthropomorphic animals and/or gays is going to get sacrificed to tumblr now.

Also people love to bang on about how it brought up the elephant in the room about killing enemies in videogames. Spec Ops the Line kind of beat Undertale to the punch. I'm not saying Undertale didn't do it well I just wish people wouldn't hump that fact as hard as they do. Though I might just be bitter because I pointed this whole "killing people we don't know" out when I was seven and just got laughed at by my friends but now they won't shut up about how great Undertale is for pointing it out.

In fact I feel like it picked right up where Spec Ops left left off with the whole "Exploring Relationship between character and player." Which isn't a bad thing.It addresses all of them.

>Are we the character?
>Are we just some guy controlling the character?
>Are we just spectators for events that were going to unfold inevitably?

I liked that. But it never gave us a straight answer on it but that may have been the point. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
>>
>>334782819
You have tobby's dick so far up your mouth holy shit
>>
>>334782819
Please stop fanboying
>>
File: undercoaster.png (153 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
undercoaster.png
153 KB, 800x600
Undertale was pretty good
>>
>>334782139
>Polish, attention to detail
Aside from the graphics, I can't think of many games that had more of this. It seems like almost every possible scenario the player could find themselves in has been accounted for in some form.

>not being too basic or something that could have been done by most amateur developers
Shit man, I'm an amateur developer and I fucking wish I could make something on this level.

The thing about Undertale is you have to appreciate the little things - it especially helps to understand the basics of game development. Even just the battle engine, for example, bends its own rules in so many ways depending on the enemy that I can't even imagine how complex the code for it must be. The flexibility of the battle engine alone makes me think it probably broke every time he programmed a new enemy-dependent mechanic into it, so the fact that it works at all is impressive.
>>
>>334782819
This is a site for adults, you know
>>
>>334779771
>>334780128
Like in The Walking Dead?
>>
>>334782920
>>334782950
What games have a comparable level of detail in them, especially in the context of indie games?
>>
Thought it was boring and /v/ made me hate the characters and writing before I had the chance to experience it for myself.

Ended up reading about and watching the ending because I couldn't force myself to finish it.

The music sounds like most chiptune on soundcloud and any random steam indie game. It seems like even people that are critical of the game say the music is incredible, but I don't see it. It's certainly good enough.

I think the internet circle jerk ruined the game for me. Nothing could live up to those expectations.
>>
>>334783162
Well I don't usually play indieshit.
>>
>>334783162
Shut the fuck up, holy shit you're annoying
>>>/tumblr/
>>>/Reddit/
>>
>>334782920
>>334782950
>>334783076
Obvious samefag, holy shit
>>
>>334782819

You should try the MGS series if you like shitloads of little touches. There's some stuff I'm still discovering in those games even now.
>>
>>334782879
>when Asgore breaks your mercy button, that was powerful.

Confusing now that you mention it. Shit like saving and reloading is explained by the flower and Sans' time leaping observations so that makes sense. The existence of the mercy button in game raises some questions though and is inconsistent with the rest of the game.
>>
>>334779771
You bring up a good point but it was established in the library that monsters in the underground are actually incapable of being truly malicious and are only ever violent if they have a reason to justify it.

Before anyone says anything I agree that's a total cop out on Toby's part and really just underlines how often he must have wrote himself into a corner. But at least he addressed it.
>>
>>334782385
>>334782819
Do you think you're doing the game and/or your fanbase a service by proselytizing like this? Are you so disconnected from reality to not understand the effect posts like this have?
>>
>>334783265
Well messing with the menu choices seemed to be a common theme through the game especially among plot important characters.
>>
>>334783247
Then what credibility do you have in this debate?
>>334783257
I'm not even him, but your hostility at a simple question and inability to answer it makes it obvious you're either baiting or bandwagoning. If not, prove me wrong.
>>
File: 1448721768703.png (4 KB, 373x110) Image search: [Google]
1448721768703.png
4 KB, 373x110
>>334783261
>>
I'm getting the urge to make a hate-LP for this where my stated goal is to trash the game, just to see what retarded hate-mail I get.

>if I've thought it, a million people have already done it.

Can I get some links?
>>
>>334782879
>It's the first game as far as I know to break the fourth wall for a purpose other than comedy/horror

The MGS games do this fairly often. Hell, you can even bypass a boss in MGS3 by setting your system's internal clock forward.
>>
>>334783394
>what credibility do you have in this debate
This isn't the only indie game I've played. I've played way better.
>>
>>334782860
>>334782920
>>334782950
>>334783076
>>334783359
I love how none of you even attempted to answer his question and instead just attacked him directly. You've clearly proven you have no rebuttal, and are just mad as fuck that someone would even suggest this game did something right
>>
>>334780831
>For a game about where choices matter, very few choices impact events mid-game.
What you do to Toriel literally has no impact on the rest of game except for being part of a requirement to unlock pacifist or genocide. The dev also wrote a convenient plot event that prevents you or Toriel from communicating because a dog took her phone. Assuming the dog is supposed to represent Toby, is he admitting that he just copped out on including Toriel in the rest of the game?
>>
The only bad thing about it is its fanbase.
>>
>>334783435
>Hell, you can even bypass a boss in MGS3 by setting your system's internal clock forward.

Well that was more of an easter egg. But I'll give you that. Granted I'm not a fan of Metal Gear games, the nonsenical writing really clashes with the realistic visuals in a way that is hard for me to stomach.
>>
>>334775723
Game is half decent, nothing to really write about though. Decent choices available in story and okay combat system that's more interesting than just "select item, click enemy".

Writing is atrocious and tries way too hard to be funny all the time. It thinks its clever, which it really isn't. It's like someone was like "hey isn't breaking the 4th wall the absolute pinnacle of clever writing?" and stuck with it forever.

Artstyle is mediocre and doesn't really contribute to an overall theme.

7/10, worth a play, but not a replay.
>>
Never have I seen fans treat their game like this much of a sacred cow. Holy shit UTfags are so fucking annoying.
>>
>>334783507
Yet you just said
>Well I don't usually play indieshit.
So you decide which card you want to play.
>>
>>334775723
Great except alphys is a fucking garbage tier character
>>
>>334783394
All of the fans are annoying, I haven't met a single one that won't shut the fuck up about how supposedly good the game is.

>>334783582
I played the game. It was okay. But you, being an undertale fan, will proceed to shove down my throat how I didn't 'get' the game because I didn't explore all the little "deep" endings. It's full of LOL RANDOM Reddit -tier puns that made me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon. The only good part was the fucking music
>>
>>334783687
>Yet you just said
Neither of those contradict each other.
>>
>>334781780
I saw those threads for the demo but actively avoided them because I saw some posts about a "goat mom" being their waifu. I'm glad I didn't try the demo because I really enjoyed going into the game completely blind.
>>
>>334783190
>letting other people shape your opinions
>letting people on /v/ shape your opinions
This level of faggotry is amazing.
>>
>>334783826
>nothing I read online has any impact on me whatsoever
WEW fucking LAD
>>
While you guys wipe your dicks over a shit game like undertale, i will happily sit here waiting for Zero Escape 3, which has a record for making each different endings feel nice and fresh, enjoy your garbage game about how MURDERING GAY/BISEXUAL GAME CHARACTERS IS BAD AND MAKE YOU A BAD PERSON!
>>
>>334783826
Your experiences throughout life shape who you are and how you interpret things. I'm just smart enough to recognize and acknowledge that :)
>>
File: 1447141239744.png (189 KB, 400x459) Image search: [Google]
1447141239744.png
189 KB, 400x459
Best game ever, obvies.
>>
>>334783765
>I played the game. It was okay. But you, being an undertale fan, will proceed to shove down my throat how I didn't 'get' the game because I didn't explore all the little "deep" endings. It's full of LOL RANDOM Reddit -tier puns that made me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.
This relates to the amount of easter eggs and attention to detail in the game how, exactly?
>>
>>334784017
Aaand another namefag to filter
>>
>>334783284
Justifying violence is easy, though. That's why a majority of people are violent. It's because they've justified it to themselves.

It would be cool to see someone like Undyne for example, take the players mercy as weakness, and come back later to try and kick their ass again, or otherwise hinder their plans.

Even if the end result was still friendship, it would be much more interesting to have the characters have different arcs depending on how you've treated the others, or the character themselves.

And I know that's a lot to expect from a game like this. But the game pretends your choices matter. I'd like it if they did. It'd make the differing stories much more bearable.
>>
>>334783784
You said you don't play indieshit then you said you do. How do those not contradict each other?
>>
>>334778804
Using man boobs to be androgynous is pretty innovative.
>>
Good game, but also the single most overrated game in the past year, perhaps longer.
First real contender to take Sonic's worst fandom title since Sonic first claimed it, at least as far as Vidya's concerned.
Glad I played it before it got big and the fans went crazy. As for the gamefaqs poll, there wasn't a bad game in the tourney, but undertale was the least deserving, I feel. It only really one because the fanbase had reached it's modern, terrible form mid tourney, swarming the votes.
>>
>>334784115
>USUALLY
>what are adverbs?
>>
>>334777926
just play OFF
>>
>>334784050
If you have to find every little Easter egg and meaningless detail to enjoy a game, it's not a good game
>>
>>334783959
Only one of the main characters you can murder is known to be gay/bisexual.

Why am I replying to bait?
>>
By that statement I guess we should go ahead and not arrest people for things like rape and/or murder and just assume that it must have been something in their life that made them that way. In fact I guess no one is really responsible for anything.

You are allowed to pick and choose which experiences are worth determining who you are and if you chose threads on 4chan to be one of those you may want to check yourself into an institution.
>>
File: 1447205469663.jpg (51 KB, 600x715) Image search: [Google]
1447205469663.jpg
51 KB, 600x715
>>334784071
Thanks.
>>
>>334784174
>>334777926
OFF is in the same vein of Undertale, but the fans aren't as cancerous
>>
>>334780753
so what you're saying is that it's modern art?
>>
>>334784181
That's not what you have to do to enjoy it. It's what you can do to appreciate it more.

Jesus, how dense are you?
>>
>>334784014
Whoops forgot to link or quote or whatever the fuck the clicking on the number thing is.

Funny, I've been on 4chan for 6 years now and I still have no clue what this is called.
>>
>>334784014
>>334784229
>>334784360
Before anyone says anything I JUST got off work and I'm tired. Give me a break.
>>
one of the most overrated games ever, full of gimmicks and meme fuel humor. i played it for like 4 or 5 hours
>>
>>334784168
OK, let's go with that. You've apparently played enough to judge it as an indie game, yet you don't usually play indie games. Tell me, what makes you a good judge of its quality as an indie title, then?
>>
>>334784330
>how dense are you
Says the blind Undertale tumblrina
>>
>>334782035
Chara wasn't guiding Frisk. You're guiding Frisk, and your decisions influence Chara.

Chara is a fucked up kid. He committed suicide twice expecting to die and stay dead. Instead, he's alive with the power of a demigod to personally enact his revenge. Then his plan fails (by being stabbed and shot, it's 201X), only to die and be revived in the body of a kid that he has next to no control over. He wants to know why he's alive after all his failures, which is why he "roots" for you through Asgore's words.

In Genocide, you teach him the meaning to his resurrection was to obtain power and become strong (he tells you this directly). In Pacifist, he fully reveals his memory of being rescued by Asriel and standing with his new family during the final fight. I think Chara reveals this because he wants to save his brother, but the important part is that he reveals this during the climax of the game. If this is Chara the asshole here, then why does he do this? What benefit does it serve him?

As for the new information in Pacifist, the game loves using flawed perspectives for misdirection. How many times did the game throw a curveball regarding Asgore again? Asriel realizes you're not Chara, sets up the stage that Chara is an evil fuck, then Genocide "comfirms" he's as evil as you think because he erases the game. In reality, Asriel insults his brother to his face, and the player blames Chara for their own decision to be a murderous psychopath.

tl;dr Chara is not "good", he has a checkered past and gained a second chance at life, wondering how to move forward (like Flowey)
>>
>>334784461
Says the projecting bandwagoner
>>
>>334784594
>bandwagoner
I've stated repeatedly that I have played the game. I have friends IRL that would not shut the fuck up about how great Undertale is for months.
>>
>>334784440
In terms of indies, I can only provide my opinion fampai; there's others I liked way more. In terms of all games, I can safely say a lot of games give way more attention to detail.
>>
File: Undyne.png (582 KB, 808x2149) Image search: [Google]
Undyne.png
582 KB, 808x2149
>>334783584
>What you do to Toriel literally has no impact on the rest of game except for being part of a requirement to unlock pacifist or genocide.
You know, I've been meaning to check whether or not you can befriend Undyne if you only killed monsters inside the Ruins.

From a plot standpoint the only monsters who could tattle on you are Napstablook, the dummy's cousin, and Flowey. Toby put a lot of work into connecting the game together so I wonder if he'd overlook something like this.
>>
>>334784254
But didn't catacombs decide not to make a sequel because he thought the fanbase was cancerous?
>>
>>334784846
>In terms of indies, I can only provide my opinion fampai; there's others I liked way more
Then give some examples of ones you've played and liked more so we can take you seriously. Holy shit.

>In terms of all games, I can safely say a lot of games give way more attention to detail.
Such as?
>>
>>334777926
Lisa is worth a playthrough. Takes about as long as a single playthrough of Undertale.
>>
>>334784982
I don't know. I played the game when it was first released, SL I don't really know anything about it
>>
>>334784254

>aren't as cancerous

It's was fucking awful when Tumblr first found it, it's only tolerable now that they moved onto Undertale.
>>
>>334784085
I agree with Undyne. It would've been great if you could spare her on the first fight, only to come back stronger than ever or with allies.
>>
>>334785091
*so
Fucking autocorrect
>>
>>334784254
It was actually pretty bad for a short while on release. Not Undertale bad though.
>>
>>334784716
Then why are you friends with these "blind Undertale tumblrinas" in the first place? Since, you know, all you have to do is have more than a neutral-positive view of this game to be lumped into that category, according to you.
>>
>>334785042
Spelunky, Cave Story. FEZ I'd put at about the same level.
>Such as?
Majora's Mask, Scribblenauts, ME
>>
>>334785191
You can enjoy a game and still accept that it has flaws. The current fanbase will not accept that anything is wrong with the game and try to disprove anything you say by "IT'S SO DEEP LMAO". Also, I knew these people before they played the game, that's how friends work, autist.
>>
>>334785297

>FEZ
>>
>>334785353
I would put about the same level as UT. Not that great.
>>
>>334785334
>You can enjoy a game and still accept that it has flaws.
Point to where somebody, anybody, has said otherwise. Holy shit.

>The current fanbase will not accept that anything is wrong with the game and try to disprove anything you say by "IT'S SO DEEP LMAO".
Prove it.

>Also, I knew these people before they played the game, that's how friends work, autist.
Then dump them, because clearly blind Undertale tumbrinas aren't deserving of your friendship.
>>
File: 1458434607582.png (367 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
1458434607582.png
367 KB, 636x358
Nice and complex RPG that I had a lot of fun playing.

Awful fanbase that is on a par with Portal, if not far worse, for being completely insufferable. They shoehorn their own views on how to play and headcanon it to the extent where it genuinely hurts the core game.

Other than that, pretty good.
>>
A fun game.

Fandom isn't nearly as bad if you just ignore all the ones from Tumblr. I never understood why /v/ hates fanbases that can be so easily ignored by just not going to Tumblr.
>>
>>334785297
>Spelunky, Cave Story
There, was that so hard? But I'd be hard pressed to say they have more attention to detail and hidden secrets than UT, if we're comparing game content to attention to detail.
>>
>>334775723
>my college is having its own con
>its gonna have an undertale after dark panel thats +18

Should i go? Im intrigued enough that i may go.
>>
>>334785550
>I don't agree with you on one thing
>get out of my life forever
>>
>>334785663
I still like them more though. Funner, had better polish, more challenge overall. Not sure why this is so important to you.
>>
>>334785686
Do it, record the cringe, bring us back something to laugh at.

Bonus points if you find a fatass Toriel or Sans cosplayer.
>>
File: tumblr_o1qi7kQqx31tneq7do2_540.png (247 KB, 540x652) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1qi7kQqx31tneq7do2_540.png
247 KB, 540x652
Posting best character
>>
>>334785723
Well, you thought my enjoyment of this game would be enough to discredit my opinion entirely, so I don't think that's much of a stretch, is it?
>>
File: 1456021201683.png (282 KB, 1033x754) Image search: [Google]
1456021201683.png
282 KB, 1033x754
>>334785686
>Should i go? Im intrigued enough that i may go.
Sounds like a sting operation.
>>
>>334785782
That is entirely fair. Honestly. But overall enjoyment was never what we were discussing. You're just moving the goalposts.
>>
File: 1448223414991.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1448223414991.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>334786012
>namefags
>>
>>334785967
There's a difference between enjoying a game and bring so obsessed with it you see no flaws. You have the latter view
>>
>>334785643
Because it means they have an excuse to have long winded and angry discussions based on Twitter/Tumblr/Reddit screencaps instead of playing video games.
>>
>>334786089
Show me the post where I said I did, please.
>>
One of my recent faves.
Not perfect though. Even if I really wanted to deem it a 10/10 from how much I enjoyed it, I couldn't score it that high. Definitely some lackluster flaws throughout the game.
I'd say 8.0-8.5, but I'd rate the story and music a lot higher.
>>
>>334785643
I think its more of the fact people here find shit so stupid they have to share it, like that banner picture with everyone being some sort of brown skinned jackass save for asgore.
>>
>>334786064
We were talking about professionalism. Undertale is rather unpolished compared to other indiegames I mentioned. However I can't accurately judge it as an indiegame since I've played so little, which is why I deferred to enjoyment overall. This is my last post.
>>
>>334786297
It stopped being about professionalism a while ago.
>>
>>334786171
>>334783162
>>334784050
>>
>>334780831
>For a game about where choices matter, very few choices impact events mid-game. Snowdin was great because who you murdered was just as relevant as the act of murdering itself.

Literally the only monster I killed in my first neutral run was Snowdrake, because I thought, "hey, why not, it's my damn run of the game, I can kill one guy."

Buddy you can't even fucking imagine my reaction when I had to confront Snowdrake's depressed father in the comedy club before the CORE.
>>
File: laughter stops.jpg (32 KB, 189x189) Image search: [Google]
laughter stops.jpg
32 KB, 189x189
>tfw You're blue now!
>the drum beat kicks in

god dammit the build-up to this mechanic was amazing
>>
File: 1452452348616.png (513 KB, 849x438) Image search: [Google]
1452452348616.png
513 KB, 849x438
Garbage.

I could list of a million reasons why but you shills/mentally challenged tumblr faggots will shove it off as "lol u hevnt even played it lmao /v/ is so shit" so whats the point, you people were retarded enough to enjoy this shitheap so you're retarded enough to have that as your defence.

You cant look at Undertale posts and say Tumblr and Reddit havent taken over. The game was made by a homostuck fan for christs sake.
>>
File: 1444722568161.png (2 MB, 500x7493) Image search: [Google]
1444722568161.png
2 MB, 500x7493
>>334786859
I feel you. I killed Toriel on my first playthrough to mimic what happened in the demo. Then I had the dinner date with Sans.

It felt like an interrogation. I was waiting for him to just flat out tell me how much of a horrible person I am. Turns out he tells the same story whether or not she dies. Go figure.
>>
>>334787238
No, I'm curious. Why?
>>
File: pegundertale.png (1 MB, 1040x1225) Image search: [Google]
pegundertale.png
1 MB, 1040x1225
>>334775723
8/10. Good game, amazing soundtrack.
>>
>>334787013
>mfw
>>
>>334782879
>Are we the character?
>Are we just some guy controlling the character?
>Are we just spectators for events that were going to unfold inevitably?

>"I liked that. But it never gave us a straight answer on it but that may have been the point. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it."

If you want more stuff like that, you should play the Zero escape series. They're great games.
>>
File: 1356413306812.gif (15 KB, 266x400) Image search: [Google]
1356413306812.gif
15 KB, 266x400
>>334783749
THIS. Although I'd probably say good before great.
>>
>>334775723
A game made for people with a decent case of Autism.
>>
>>334789468
You don't capitalize the A in autism, anon.
>>
>>334775723
>thoughts
>2016
>when you have no less than 50 different websites that could have thoughts FOR you
wow ok grandpa, guess some people love to reinvent the wheel.
>>
File: Pap.jpg (95 KB, 307x307) Image search: [Google]
Pap.jpg
95 KB, 307x307
>>334779876
>>
>>334775723
Monster Kid's and Undyne's cutscenes kill replayability.

The first time Undyne appears menacingly above the ledge, why can't I yell "EY BITCH JUMP DOWN AND FITE ME 1v1" and waggle my SOUL in front of her in a taunting manner.
>>
>>334791870
Because then she wouldn't cut the bridge to make you fall into Trash Zone and you couldn't pacify her into Hotland and Monster Kid wouldn't give you the shoulder boost needed to progress.
>>
File: bridge sign.png (22 KB, 639x478) Image search: [Google]
bridge sign.png
22 KB, 639x478
>>334775723
I laughed for 2 straight minutes after reading this sign.

No, I'm not gonna tell you what the sign said. Go play the game and read it.
>>
>>334792552
When I first reached that part I assumed I'd have to push the umbrella bin over and climb on it.
>>
File: Spr_Chara.png (494 B, 38x58) Image search: [Google]
Spr_Chara.png
494 B, 38x58
>>334776356
I wanna do some Undertale ERP sometime just so I can get fully involved in the autism and cancer.
>>
>>334777303
Fun fact: DOOM runs at 35fps

It is therefore shit.
>>
>>334781341
>Game still needs a way to kill that demented fuck Chara.
I stay dead if you don't play the game, you know.
You could've just not played the game.
But let me guess. You played the game. And now you want to know how to undo your mistake, right?
Well it's too late for that.
>>
I gave it a playthrough because someone posted a Mega link and I was curious.

I guess I had an alright time playing it, a few chuckles along the way, but mostly I just kept getting annoyed by things. Thinking back on it now all I can think of is stuff that really, really bugged me, be it a mechanic or a character or a location or anything at all.
I only got two endings, technically, the neutral and pacifist ones, neutral end boss is way, way better than the schmaltzy pacifist one that you can't lose.

Overall it was like playing a webcomic where I liked maybe two of the characters and just wanted everyone else to go away and stop being morons.
>>
>>334792552

I always wondered how he could give you a shoulder boost without shoulders.
>>
>>334782035
To be fair.

Every time you play one of those cliche RPGs where you're The Chosen One™ from your Backwater Village™, you know exactly what's gonna happen when you leave your village on the Noob Quest™.

That village is going to burn.

You know this. You know that going out on the Noob Quest is what triggers this. And yet you do it anyway.

Why do you do this?

Because your village burning is the first step on the path to the rest of the game. To victory. To levelling up. To power.

Also, the people in that village were pricks.
>>
>>334782879
>It's the first game as far as I know to break the fourth wall for a purpose other than comedy/horror
It's like you've never played EarthBound. The fourth wall is broken in that game so you, the player, can save the children that you (over the course of the game) have grown to care about.
>>
>>334792817
>Fun fact: DOOM runs at 35fps
I don't know what kind of shitty source port you're using.
>>
>>334783414
>I'm getting the urge to make a hate-LP for this where my stated goal is to trash the game, just to see what retarded hate-mail I get.
won't work. The first thing you'll do is name yourself "NIGGER" or "HITLER" or "UMADXD" and that'll ward off the tumblr "i am allergic to having my feelings hurt, please do not do this thing it hurts my feelings" crowd in the first video.

The only people who'll watch your LP are people who'll enjoy seeing you mock the game.
>>
>>334775723
Why are their still threads about this game?
>>
>>334784969
>I've been meaning to check whether or not you can befriend Undyne if you only killed monsters inside the Ruins.
You can't.

I level ground up to Lv11 off ONE Loox, by goldfarming up 8 Spider Ciders and repeatedly PICK ONing the damn thing 500 fucking times before slaying it.

Undyne calls you on it.
>>
boring and easy if you want exciting or challenging bullet hell. the combat is repetative and you get nothing from it if you want a cannon ending.

the game is good if you are some kind of fucking weirdo who plays games for the story and characters.

Either way, you arent going to replay it, and you will just remember it for its soundtrack. maybe. I only like 3.
>>
>>334793997
That sentence makes no sense.
>>
File: 1446010183999.gif (418 KB, 650x660) Image search: [Google]
1446010183999.gif
418 KB, 650x660
I think Undertale is a pretty cool guy. Eh befriends monsters and doesn’t afraid of anything.
>>
>>334795020
Holy shit. It's as though I've traveled through time and am 18 once again. spoopy
>>
File: 1091232812.png (281 KB, 569x702) Image search: [Google]
1091232812.png
281 KB, 569x702
>>334775723
Sans is cute
>>
File: chara frisk.png (320 KB, 700x483) Image search: [Google]
chara frisk.png
320 KB, 700x483
hey new kid, you ever fucked a sociopath before?
what's the matter, you a silent fella?
no matter
Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.