[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why haven't they implemented cross-buy for this service?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7
File: Wii-U-Virtual-Console.jpg (108 KB, 960x528) Image search: [Google]
Wii-U-Virtual-Console.jpg
108 KB, 960x528
Why haven't they implemented cross-buy for this service?

Why couldn't they transfer all the games from the Wii Shop VC to the Wii U eShop VC?

Was there really NO way they could have given the GBA games multiplayer?
>>
>>334774452
System interface difficulties. Wii, Wii U, and 3DS all run on vastly different programming. They can't just port a Wii game to the Wii U; they'd need to completely remake the game to run on the Wii U system. Doing so isn't cost-productive, which is why there are so few cross-system titles. Smash 4 and Mario vs DK are the only two I can think of; every other example has an "expanded" or slightly different version on another system.

Same thing for multiplayer. It would need to be completely redesigned to work properly. It's worth it for something like Pokemon, but not for some random Virtual Console title.
>>
>>334774868
>every other example has an "expanded" or slightly different version on another system.
I was just talking purely about the Virtual Console games. I'd love having the DKC games on my New 3DS if I didn't have to spend another 8 bucks
>>
>>334774868

Isn't the virtual console basically just emulation, though? I have a hard time believing they are remaking the games from scratch each time.
>>
>>334776075
That's just it. To put DKC on the New 3DS, Nintendo would need to put together a team of programmers and re-create the entire game on the 3DS system. Of course they aren't going to do that, then turn around and give it away for free to everyone who already bought it on the Wii U. That's just throwing away money.
>>
>>334774452
Nintendo is a godawful comlany.
They've lost their touch with making games and they have no fucking clue how to work their online services
>>
>>334776252
they're actually direct ports
>>
>>334776350
It's just a fucking rom packaged with an emulator, you moron
>>
>>334774868
You're retarded.
>>334776418
No they're not.
>>
>>334774868
Then explain cross-buy on PS3, PS4, and Vita which has been working great for Sony.
>>
File: 250px-MarioTennisGBC.jpg (21 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
250px-MarioTennisGBC.jpg
21 KB, 250x251
>see pic related on eShop
>wonder how they handled the Transfer Pak unlockables
>look it up online
>they didn't do shit
>four characters, four minigames, and a court totally inaccessible
This shit is unacceptable.
>>
>>334776731
Because Sony actually cares about their customers, Nintendo is a mobile app/toy company now they don't care about video games anymore
>>
>>334777327
They did the same thing for the game boy advance exclusive minigames and shops in the two Oracle Zelda games.
>>
>>334777404
Really odd given that we know the 3DS has GBA hardware in it and something like the Mario 3 GBA version had its e-Reader levels restored when it was put on the Wii U
>>
>>334774452
Because fuck you and pay up.
>>
>>334776731
PS3, PS4, and Vita are similar hardware and software systems. It makes it easier to port games between them (although not always a good idea) and so you frequently see PS4/Vita releases and PS3/PS4/Vita releases for games.

So... basically, Nintendo's problem was not having the foresight that Sony did, or not thinking that cross-buy would be as important as it is.
>>
>>334777650
>PS3 and PS4 are similar in hardware but the Wii and Wii U aren't
>Wii and Wii U are backwards compatible but PS3 and PS4 aren't
>>
>>334777515
That's because M2 handled the Wii U GBA emulation and they actually give a shit. The MMBN games even have the multiplayer-only chips unlocked from the start.
>>
>>334777782
Are you honestly surprised that Sony is a huge jew?

To be fair, the first round of PS3's had backwards compatibility and hardly anyone cared. It was too pricey and eventually removed. Since the PS3 was basically non-backwards compatible throughout its entire lifetime, Sony figured they could get away with the same trick again.

And if you really want to blame Sony for something, ask why every single one of these PS3/PS4/Vita releases don't just offer you the game on all platforms when you purchase it. There's not even a "$80 for all three" offer anywhere. It's only during sales of three-year-old games where they even offer a "bundle" for multi-system sales.
>>
>>334776731
>>334777650
Don't some PS1 games run poorly on Vita and few of them couldn't be played on PSP at all like Pocket Fighter?
>>
>>334777404
I forgot. What does the advance ring do?
>>
>>334778348
And the gold medal for mental gymnastics goes to.....
>>
>>334774452
Nintendo has to make their money somehow, when their audience is exclusively young children and overly nostaligic morons you can get away with selling the exact same five dollar NES rom multiple times
>>
>>334778642
Just filler for the ring lists. They have no effect, and you can still get them by starting with a password that already has thec two rings.
>>
>>334774868
We're talking cross-buy here, not cross-play.

If I buy Super Mario Bros. 3 on my Wii U, I should be able to download it for my 3DS and any future Nintendo console completely free of charge since I've purchased it already. How many fucking times is Nintendo going to make me re-buy a digital game?

If they didn't force me to re-buy these digital games, there would be an incentive for me to buy more digital games and I could spend money on OTHER games instead of the ones that I always have to buy. It's win-win for Nintendo to implement cross-buy.
>>
>>334777650
>>334778348
Those vita/psp/console versions of games are actually different games with the exception of ps1 games (which DO transfer between all three after you buy them once), with different texture quality, different aspect ratio and other minor changes

meanwhile you can buy an emulator for super mario world on the wiiu and an emulator for super mario world on the 3ds, but you can't carry one of these things to the other

go fuck a rake
>>
>>334778642
not that anon

literally nothing as far as wearing it goes, its only use is to collect the very last ring, i think.

besides, if any person REALLY wanted it, they could just play through that shot with a GBA emulator and then do the secret code continuation.

its not like its that difficult to obtain on the 3ds
>>
I wonder the same thing.

VC runs of a fucking emulator, they can be spending more than $5000 hiring some assholes to implement crossbuys for Wii/Wii U/3DS for 30 year old games.

I bought the original LoZ and LttP on the original and now I wanna play it on my n3DS. I'm not gonna spend money on them again; thats fucking retarded. They're lucky I didnt just pirate them.
>>
But they did. You just have to transfer them from your wii to the wii u wii interface. I thought this was common knowledge?
>>
>>334780093
That's only if they're also available on the Wii U eShop

Most 3rd party games (like Sonic 3, for instance) that aren't available on the Wii U eShop yet can't be upgraded
>>
>>334780325
Speaking of Sega, why haven't they put up Genesis and Master System games on eShop? They have Game Gear games on 3DS eShop. No I am not counting the 3D Genesis games they released.
>>
>>334780325
Oh okay. Didn't remember that part.
>>
>>334780093
>transfer
>not being able to play in all 3 systems through a single account
>>
>>334774868

That's completely irrelevant. All they have to do is add the other versions to your account upon purchase of one version.
>>
>>334780325
In think that anon just meant transferring them from a Wii to Wii U, but there is still the upgrade as you said to play it on the Wii U interface, add button binding, and a manual save state. There's also the matter of paying a fee to upgrade each game.
>>
File: x5.png (74 KB, 566x496) Image search: [Google]
x5.png
74 KB, 566x496
daily reminder nintendo doesn't even make roms of their own games, they literally download it off the internet. you know, the community they are constantly condemning.
>>
>>334780093

That's not cross buy. That's a one way transfer.
>>
>>334780620
Either Sega thought it wasn't worth the cost of getting the games rated again or Nintendo is being an ass about which games can be on VC seeing as there's a lot of NES and SNES games missing too.
>>
>>334780865
How many times can they rely on Mario World launch a VC service?
>>
>>334780325
You can still play those games in Wii mode though. When you rebuy the game in the Wii U eshop, you're essentially just spending a dollar or two for the feature to play it with the gamepad.
>>
>>334774452
Nintendo is ALWAYS behind in the online department. We're talking about a company that didn't implement online multiplayer until 7th gen and they just came out with a unified network in this one.
>>
>>334780818
I don't see the problem with this. Its their game.
>>
>>334781948
You're about to be called a Nintendrone, but to a SLIGHT extent, I see where you're coming from

With creatives and publishers in general, I feel they have a write to earn money off of their own property.
>>
>>334779145
I still have my seasons cart. Saw an advance sp gen 1 for 30 the other day. Didn't get it though.
>>
>>334774868
>System interface difficulties. Wii, Wii U, and 3DS all run on vastly different programming
This means jack shit. They managed to transfer over your Wii purchases just fine, the Wii U can tell which ones you bought on the Wii and gives you a discount because of it but not for free because apparently Miiverse and gamepad integration are $2 extra, the 3DS is tied to the same NNID as your Wii U yet you can't grab games that have been released on both that you bought on one machine, you have to buy it again.

It's absolutely idiotic, and there's no need to make multiplayer run again, they sure as hell didn't bother with Pokemon TCG or enable GBA mode for The two Zelda games and Shantae.
>>
>>334774452
Because Nintendo has been a step behind everyone when it comes to online features.

In particular, we're STILL waiting on a true account system. They're definitely trying at this point with My Nintendo and what not, but it's still in very early stages.
>>
>>334779145
You don't even need to play it, there's a way to edit your transfer passwords so you unlock it properly.
>>
>>334781948
>>334782142

They might be legally within their right to do this, but it's unprofessional and embarrassing as fuck. They constantly tell people how emulators and roms are bad and to stop making them, yet goes ahead and downloads the roms their fans make and slaps a $10 price tag on it. It's hypocritical and shows how little effort they put into the release.
>>
>>334777327
>Battle Network 2 on eshop
>Capcom of all fucking companies actually put in the effort to tweak the game and let you get the multiplayer chips

bravo nintendo
>>
>>334774452
Basically comes down to licensing

The deal to bring the old titles is arranged between Nintendo and the rights owner for the target platform only (ie the Wii), so Nintendo just doesn't have the rights to bring Wii games to the Wii U VC without a new license agreement

The Wii VC was an experimental idea back then which has really only proven successful for Nintendo's first part titles, so when Nintendo asked other companies to come on board again, they didn't want to because they didn't make any money doing it

As for why they jew you out of more money for games that are both on the Wii and Wii U VC, well, it's Nintendo. They know their fans will pay through the nose so they take advantage of that at every step
>>
>>334774452
Actually in today's time and technological advancement this shouldn't an question anymore. Every new console should play the last gens games. But we all know that remastered sells like hotshit.
>>
>>334780818
Is there any proof to this or is it just some guy trying to be smug against Nintendo since that's the popular thing to do?
>>
>>334781369
>you're essentially just spending a dollar or two for the feature to play it with the gamepad.
Which you shouldn't have to do.

I can't find the article for the life of me, but Miyamoto was once asked why you need to buy SMB3 twice if you already own it on 3DS or Wii U. His answer was "I'm sorry about that."

No he isn't.
>>
>>334782506
>They're definitely trying at this point with My Nintendo and what not
Have you noticed that they STILL haven't actually mentioned the actual account system that people have been wanting?

They just mentioned a cloud and being able to buy games from the website. They're avoiding the topic.
>>
File: nhXYSXi.jpg (36 KB, 520x417) Image search: [Google]
nhXYSXi.jpg
36 KB, 520x417
>>334774452
https://youtu.be/eW14P1xOz58?t=9m3s

This is the only time Reggie has been directly asked that question (9 minutes, 3 seconds) and he dodges it.
>>
>>334780967

I don't know, but it's annoying that every single time they spend their effort porting shit like river city ransom, ice climbers, balloon fight, golf, baseball, clu clu land, tennis, NES open tour, pinball, wrecking crew, etc.

And those games are the only ones to come out for a while because they know those games will only sell when there is no competition.
>>
>>334782859

To be fair, the Mario 3 GBA game had e reader support which was nice.

However it was 10 times as insulting that they charge a premium for pokemon virtual console games because they have similar tweaks
>>
File: Yup.jpg (83 KB, 466x700) Image search: [Google]
Yup.jpg
83 KB, 466x700
>>334774452
Friendly reminder that if you system transfer your Wii's brain into your Wii U, you can play/download/buy/redownload any Wii Shop purchase at any time by going into the Wii menu.
>>
>>334785796
Those games are also going to be compatible with Pokemon Bank though
>>
>>334774452
WHY WAS MARIO PARTY 2 ON THE WII VC FOR SO LONG BUT NOT 3
>>
>>334785816

But you can't download the wii u version of those game.

I can KIND of understand the upgrade charge, but seriosly I can't believe how fucking lazy the wii's virtual console was. You have to buy a classic controller because no button remapping, no snapshot saves, etc.

Either way until they implement cross buy, I'm never buying another virtual console game (which I probably should have never in the first place, I had most of those games emulated)
>>
File: 1439822591596.jpg (74 KB, 290x257) Image search: [Google]
1439822591596.jpg
74 KB, 290x257
>>334786019
>Played the shit out of Mario Party 1 and never experienced the control stick spinning palm rape despite doing those minigames frequently
>No MP1 on VC because nofunallowed
>>
>>334786019

this. MP3 was the better game.

Either way though, I got the wii version of Mario Party 2 from club nintendo, so they need to hurry their asses up and let me upgrade to the wii u version. Same goes for Majora's Mask, MK64, and SSB
>>
>>334777650
are you fucking high?
the fucking ps3 is nothing like the ps4 or the vita. How old are you?
>>
>Company that has made a huge effort to cash in on their golden age and nostalgia
>expecting them to not try to make you pay for the same thing multiple times
>>
>>334786707
the retard seriously thinks a Toshiba/IBM Cell processor with a Nvidia gpu is the same as a amd apu
>>
Reggie says stop being entitled. Nes games are such high quality products, it is worth buying 50 times across different platforms
>>
>>334787786
le meme man is right! Nintendo truly cares about its products and consumers.
>>
>>334787786
Reggie also says that watching people stream games is boring and that no one is interested in that.

PS4 has a streaming option.
>>
>>334787921
how foolish of Sony don't they know streaming games is the same as playing them? Nintendo should take advantage of this weakness.
>>
>>334778517
R1/R2 do become a problem if that's what you mean
>>
>>334778517
haven't heard of any PS1 games having issues on a vita
>>
>>334780818
piracy is wrong until corps can ise the communities it harasses free work to make money
>>
>>334784876
the ROM ripped from the virtual console release has a header made by a specific PC emulator
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.