[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help. I think im really bad at dark souls. I have 4 hours of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
Help. I think im really bad at dark souls. I have 4 hours of playtime on Dark souls 1 and I havent made it past the bonfire after the Tauren Demon. Is this normal for someone starting out or am I a special kind of terrible
>>
Thats about normal. A really shit player would spend longer than 4 hours trying to figure out why the skeletons in the graveyard are so hard for the first enemies in the game. Are you having trouble with figuring out the mechanics of the game or the actually executing them?
>>
>>334696424
execution mostly. Parrying is hard and sometimes I try to shield but it doesnt shield or I attack when I didnt want to and let myself open for attacks. Its kind of frustrating to spend 2 hours on the same bonfire when it isn-t even a boss fight
>>
>>334696614
A boss is coming up and you'll get better as time goes on, don't worry. I wasn't able to parry jack shit my entire first run through the game and just resorted to blocking and rolling through attacks. Once I switched tactics I made progress fast. The game is hard but once you find whats comfortable for you its smooth sailing. What class did you pick and what weapon are you using, do you have a plan in mind?
>>
>>334697665
I picked wanderer I think. I'd like to just use a sword and a shield for my first playthrough and focus on dexterity or something
>>
>>334697902
Ok, dexterity sword/board is pretty fun and my personal favorite. Have you got to the knights in and around the chapel that look like pic related? Both the shield and sword they drop are easily some of the best in the game, imo worth farming for (plus they drop a ton of upgrade materials). Then for your stats do something basic like 30 vitality, 40 endurance, and 40 dexterity. Other than that its just practice to git gud.
>>
>>334695632
no, it's ok start for das. the first locations are the hardest on first playthrough, i spent even more time on undead burg, trying to kill black knights.
>>
>>334698296
neat I got one of their sword drops before I ragequitted after he one shotted me by parrying me. I also got a "Knight's Shield" that guy was a guarding. Nice to know they're good. Thanks for the tips
>>
>>334696614
>try to shield but it doesnt shield or I attack when I didnt want to and let myself open for attacks.

keep you block up, time counter-attacs
>>
>>334698296
Wait.. really?

Different anon.. but are they really some of the best? I got a Knights Sheild from on of them, which has what look to be the best stats so far out of what they dropped.

I just made it past the gaping dragon, and was able to cut his tail off which gave me the Dragon King Greataxe.. and was really hoping for a better sheild soon to compliment how bad ass this thing looks.

Also.. I'm fumbling around looking for Blighttown, I think I missed a turn or something somewhere. Do I get there from the depths?
>>
>>334698449
>Knight Shield
>Good
Oh boy...
BALDER Knight Shield and Balder Straight Sword are the good ones I was talking about, not the Knight Shield is a beginner's trap; its not terrible but its definitely sub-optimal. The Blacksmith sells a Tower Kite Shield that's awesome and kicks its ass in ever category except looks, your choice on that one.
>>
>>334698629
>do i get there from the depths
Yes. You got a key from killing Gaping. Remember the area right before the boss room that had the vendor? Theres a door there.
>>
>>334698629
You know where the merchant is in the depths a little before where the boss is? There's a door by him that leads to Blighttown. Have fun with the snipers :D
Pro Tip: The spider shield from the depths has 100% poison and toxic resist if you can block the shots
>>
>>334698836
Oh.. wow. Yeah, I know exactly where that is.

I honestly assumed that giant door was a backdrop and I don't really know why.

Thanks, dude. I wouldn't have gone back to check that until like.. 4 or 5 hours of playtime later.
>>
>>334696614

You gotta get used to the command queues/buffering. I'm new to the DaS series and it's something I'm still getting used too. This game will punish you if you spam mindlessly, timing is absolutely everything, from attacking to parrying to dodging. I still can't parry reliably and I'm closing in on 70 hours in the first game.
>>
>>334698898
Spider sheild.. don't remember finding that.

Guess I'll be exploring the depths a bit more.
>>
>>334699048
Visions of Huge Enemy
therefore
Visions of up
>>
File: Chiyo_chichi.gif (5 KB, 170x214) Image search: [Google]
Chiyo_chichi.gif
5 KB, 170x214
>Tauren Demon
>>
Oh, some basic tips for parrying if you're intent on learning it. You have to press the parry button AS SOON AS the enemy's attack STARTS to come forward to parry it. Don't try to match the animation's for the attack and deflection, just press it as soon as it starts to actually come at you. You have exactly 6 frames to actually parry with (8 on the buckler, target shield, and the parrying dagger). You also have to generally be on the same elevation as the enemy to parry their attack. If you're just slightly too slow you'll get a "partial parry" where you'll take some damage but not all of it. Decent video to give you the basics and show some of the timing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hrh94Dc-h0:
>>
File: 1460403824011.jpg (141 KB, 500x633) Image search: [Google]
1460403824011.jpg
141 KB, 500x633
Im not the OP but im also new to Dark Souls 1
Instead of creating a new thread I'll ask my questions here.

What are those tall black knights called? they are mini bosses, I've killed 2 so far, one at Undeadburg and another one at the Basin (iirc the location names) but theres a third one that I cant beat that's located near the entrance of the Chapel at the top of a small tower, any advice? should I just ignore him?

Also, I've heard that you can kill the dragon by shooting its tail but I dont wanna do it if its gonna ruin my first playthough experience, what do you guys think about it?

Right now Im exploring the place beyond the big door in the forest, the one you need to buy the key from the blacksmith, and the enemies there are kicking my arse but everytime I come back it feels like im getting gudder.
>>
>>334700083
The black knights are called... Black Knights. You dont have to kill them, but they drop gud shit.
Tearing the dragons tail off wont kill it, but something cool happens. You can do this to all dragons in the game. Try it out.
>>
>>334700083
The black knights are called black knights lol. Advice for that guy in the tower is to either backstab/parry him or to just upgrade you shield until you can block his attacks and then backstab/parry him. You could also poison him, run away, and let him die after a while but that's for chumps.
As for shooting the dragon's tail, while you really cant kill it by doing that (yet), most boss type dragon/wyvern/drake enemies have unique "tail cuts". If you do enough damage to their tail it'll get cut off and you get a unique weapon. The weapon you get from the bridge drake has high base damage but no stat scaling on its damage whatsoever and it is extremely hard/tedious to upgrade. You're better of ignoring it.
Oh, and the forest area after the door is a late-ish game area, you can do it now but the boss is going to make you his bitch for a good while. I learned this the hard way my first run of the game. I fucked him up good on the 50th try tho. To get back on the intended path go to the undead parish, if you've already done that go check the door on the Taurus demon side of the bridge.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.