[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did the superior handheld system sell less this gen? Was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (373 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
373 KB, 1920x1080
How did the superior handheld system sell less this gen? Was it really meme magic that sold the 3DS and killed the Vita?
>>
>>334695295
No games*
Expensive memory cards

The 3DS sold more because it had games people wanted to play, and Nintendo made it cheaper.
>>
>>334695295

Memory cards
>>
>>334695425
Pretty much this. The 3DS has plenty of flaws, but it delivered games, lots of them.
>>
>>334695295
For a handheld to succeed, it need games. Nintendo will always have Sony beat when it comes to games, because Nintendo can pump out a bunch of great first party titles while Sony mostly depends on third parties who don't do make game so well.
>>
>>334695295
>how did the system that was dropped by the manufacturer after a year lose the competetion

Only thing it ever had going for it was pantsuquest games which only happened in its later years and obviously didn't sell any remotely significant number of consoles. System probably only survived the first years because sony needed to protect its brand and simply couldn't discontinue it.
>>
>>334695295
what are handhelds for?

it's a retardedly simple question with retardedly easy answer

and yet it never occured for Sony to ask this simple question to themselves even once when designing both PSP and Vita
>>
>>334695295

Sony made the same mistake it made with the PSP. Trying to make a home console portable.

The only difference is this time they didn't get a massive instal base because the hardware was never hacked.

>hurrr Sony >LOST MONEY< from piracy

Sony sold a lot more psp hardware and thus sold a fuckload more software than the Vita will ever move.
>>
>>334695295
Abandoned by SCEA at release. Only SCEE and SCEJ supported it somehow. Serious lack of God of War, Gran Turismo and other system selling first-party titles.
>>
The 3DS has Pokemon and Zelda and MH, Vita does not.

>>334695563
The face of an actual Nintendrone
>>
>>334695526
The 3DS suffers from lack of third-parties, but I agree with the memory card pricing. It was retarded on top of an already expensive handheld.
>>
>>334695672
lol?
PSP software sales were abysmal for the userbase

Everyone got one for fucking piracy.
>>
>>334695295
>Was it really meme magic that sold the 3DS and killed the Vita?
The games exclusive to it weren't good enough to get it. It's literally just a P4G machine. Aside from DT2 imo there isn't really much else going for it.
>>
>>334695737
vita suffers from a lack of support from anywhere

There's no games.

What is shocking is that the ps4 still sells although I suppose it has cod and ea sports titles.
>>
>>334695295
memory cards
memes
>>
>>334695737
it's a nintendo product. lack of third party support is a given at this point.
>>
Because sony's marketing strategy was fucking retarded. They tried pushing it as a portable dudebro machine with games like Uncharted, Fifa and CoD. Japan was basically it's only hope but since high profile japanese devs didn't develope games to it thanks to the west not buying it they didn't even bother making a new game for it. Sony shifted later to push it as PS4 accessory which didn't help it either. Luckily it fell into a very small niche that apparently can sustain itself by releasing low budget weeb games.
>>
>>334695805
If you removed third-party AAA titles from PS4 and Xbone, you would have sales similar to the Wii U.
>>
>>334695704
>says 3DS has Pokemon and Zelda
>calls a guy comparing Nintendo first party to sony first party a Nintendrone

So that makes you a Nintendrone as well then right?
>>
>>334695805
>>334695425
>>334695563

If Sony actually designed it well and advertised it well it would've gotten games. The "no games" thing happened because it sold like shit and no one wanted to touch it
>>
>>334695913
>>says 3DS has Pokemon and Zelda
he's just implying that they're popular, not the he likes them
>>
>>334695704
Would a Nintendrone own all the Playstations?

I'm just saying, Sony can't pump out first party games at the rate of Nintendo because they're too busy assembling TVs or some shit.
>>
>>334695805
>ps4 still sells although I suppose it has cod and ea sports titles.
A new type of casual child which was carefully created during 360 generation and groomed to only buy FIFA and CoD along with monthly online subs
>>
>>334695896
Ok so you might be right, but the way that Nintendo didn't advertise the Wii U pretty much at all and the fact that it looks almost the same as the Wii and most of the world thought it was an extension definitely didn't help its sales.

I love my Wii U but Nintendo dropped the ball on the console and it's a shame because there's been some really good games on it.
>>
>>334695295
>meme magic
You mean proper marketing LOL
>>
>>334695913
I didn't say that Nintendo games are latently superior to third party games. Nintendo has a lot of competent studios, but in no way the best in the industry.
>>
>>334695984
>The "no games" thing happened because it sold like shit and no one wanted to touch it
That, and the majority of its library appeals to a niche audience. Not that that's bad, but don't expect it to sell a shitload.
>>
>>334695563
Nintendo first party games are horribly overrated.
>>
>>334695993
>Nintendo will always have Sony beat when it comes to games, because Nintendo can pump out a bunch of great first party titles while Sony mostly depends on third parties who don't do make game so well.

That's what the guy commented that the other guy called a Nintendrone.
It's literally the same as his Zelda and Pokemon comment.
>>
>>334695295
Doesn't have Monster Hunter.
>>
>>334695753

PSP lifetime Hardware sales : 78m
PSP lifetime Software sales : 277m

Ok so it sold a lot of hardware and software.

But because it could have sold MORE software if all of those people who would not have bought the hardware if it were not hacked had bought lots of games then.. uh..

Yeah man. It really worked out well for the vita. The vita sold more than that, right?
>>
File: OP.png (211 KB, 851x475) Image search: [Google]
OP.png
211 KB, 851x475
>>334696108
So what? Lots of people enjoy them, that's why they sell, despite your opinion about them.
>>
>>334696151
The PSP had over 82 million hardware sales.
>>
>>334696045
For as much as Sony spent on marketing, the only thing that they had in their favor was "we are not MS". I only got one to play panty quests and Bloodborne.
>>
>>334695295

Third parties prefer nintendo portables.

That, and the vita using memory cards was a fucking retarded idea.

It's a shame though. I prefer Sony's portables, but the only thing Vita has is weebshit.
>>
>>334696295
To be fair, that did win them the first year and that snowballed since all the casuals have friends who buy whatever system their friends do to play together.

the ps4 is a prettier machine than the bone, but it's just as devoid of quality titles. Outside of bloodborne, there's still really no reason to have one. and it's already 3 years old.
>>
when i first saw the Vita revealed I thought "this is gonna turn out just like the PSP did".
Why didn't Sony apply any lessons learned from the PSP?
>>
>>334695295
It has no games.

The 3DS has a fantastic library of games, what does the Vita have? Nothing at all.
>>
>>334696295
This. The biggest reason why the PS4 took off and the One didn't is because Microsoft dug their own grave, and Sony used that occasion to step on the corpse. They're both lacking a good amount of good exclusives.
>>
>>334696457
Because Sony stopped being smart with technology a decade ago
>>
>>334696457
Idk it felt like sony pushed with the vita early on, saw that it was going to succumb to the same fate the psp did then dropped it quite quickly.

I'll be stunned if they make a successor. Hell with no games, I'll be mildly surprised people are still buying ps4s
>>
>>334696457

Oh but they did.

Unfortunately it was only one lesson;

Stop piracy at all costs.

Now we have all the same mistakes but you can't have neato homebrew.
>>
it's a weeb-centric device that shows you the financial power of weebs
>>
sony would make mad cash if main call of duty games got ported to vita instead of crap spin-offs
any call of duty game could run on a potato if activision didn't have a huge boner for pretending it was a hardware intensive game and botching ports on purpose
>>
>>334695295
>3DS
>gets the best games from every developer on it
>best platform this gen
>best handheld in history

>Vita
>has no games
>worst platform this gen that everyone abandoned
>worst handheld in history

What do you think OP?
>>
>>334696141
>Doesn't have Monster Hunter.
What funny is

MonHun was literally the only best-selling series on PSP and the only thing that kept it alive in jp

3DS didn't *need* MonHun because Nintendo first-party are made of stack of series that are just as popular as MonHun. 3DS didn't need MonHun.

And then they took even that from Sony, leaving them with exactly dicksquat.
>>
First of all, don't believe the "no games XD" meme. The Vita, contrary to the 3DS, has excellent third-party support and very little first-party. If you like JRPGs, or DRPGs, the Vita is an absolute must-buy. Here are the games I own and enjoy:

>Persona 4 Golden
>Dungeon Travelers 2
>Soul Sacrifice Delta
>Demon Gaze
>Senran Kagura Estival Versus
>Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3
>Freedom Wars
>Ys: Memories of Celceta
>God of War HD Collection
>Muramasa Rebirth
>Dragon's Crown
>Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD
>>
>>334696151
that's like 3-4 games per owner. That's fucking abysmal attach rate
>>
>>334696692
>don't believe the "no games XD" meme
when people say that, they're talking about how none of those games you listed appeal to them or others
>>
>>334696661

>3ds
>Best handheld in history

Let's not get carried away
>>
>>334696661
>>best handheld in history
Eh, I dunno about that. The DS and GBA have a lot more games than it, in my opinion. I'm not saying the 3DS is bad. It's just not quite as good.

>>334696692
Half of these are either ports or "enhanced" ports, nigga.
>>
>>334696824
The 3DS can play DS games so
>>
>>334696664
You MonHun fags give your shitty series too much credit. The PSP was already doing well in Japan as a Persona machine.
>>
>>334696779
>>334696824

3DS has a better lineup compared to the DS and GBA easily.

3DS's library of games is too good.
>>
Has anyone played Adventures Of Mana?
As a major Seiken Densetsu fan, I'd consider getting a Vita for it
>>
>>334696770
Some of them are, sure. If you don't like RPGs, especially Jap ones, the Vita is a bad investment. I guess you could get it if you just want to play old PSP/PS1 Classics and indie titles, but it really shines with JRPGs.

>>334696824
With ports you have to determine whether or not portability is important to you. The guy who owns God of War on PS2 and the HD collection on PS3 is probably not going to jump on the HD collection for Vita.
>>
>>334696837
And the WiiU can play Wii games (and GC games if you're willing to fuck around with modding), but I didn't mention that because they're not the same gen.
>>
>>334695737
No, I think 3DS ironically suffers from system sellers. What I mean by that is people bought it for MonHun, Pokemon, Yokai Watch in Japan or some other big name. And they're not really buying anything else. Considering how many devices are out there your average game sales really don't follow the trend. Having a POTENTIAL huge audience means nothing if they're not interested in your game.
>>
>>334696837
They look like absolute dog shit on the 3DS.
>>
File: too many keks.png (89 KB, 191x240) Image search: [Google]
too many keks.png
89 KB, 191x240
>>334696692
>That game list.
Wow family, those are some great ports and garbage!
>>
It's not to do with games, they both have abysmal libraries compared to their predecessors.
It's price and marketing, vita is too expensive, no amount of sweet talk can sell it if the price is wrong.
>>
>>334696664
Exactly this.
And Sony can't just convince Capcom to come back since the 3DS is already pulling the handheld market's hair and slapping its ass.
>>
>>334696869
You could just play it on your phone :^)
>>
>>334696950
Why did you come into a Vita thread if you hate Jap games?
>>
>>334696950
Just like the 3DS library, kek.
>>
no games

the 3ds sucks too, but at least it has games like mystery dungeon, souls hackers, pokemon, fire emblem, animal crossing, zelda, and monster hunter to keep you busy

it's even better nowadays because the OG 3ds is so hackable and you can play all the games for free with online with nothing but 3 hours of time and a SD card
>>
>>334697023
I guess I'm more generally interested to know if it's better than the original
>>
>>334697025
I like Jap games but I wouldn't even touch half the shit on that list

Japanese does not equal good
>>
>>334697125
>Japanese does not equal good
I never claimed it did. What Jap games do you like? Which games on that list do you think are shit?
>>
>>334696863
Keep deluding yourself.
>>
>>334695563
>third parties who don't do make game so well

You retarded bro? I'm a nintendrone, but I realize the Vita has quite a few solid third party games
>>
File: yooo.png (55 KB, 446x547) Image search: [Google]
yooo.png
55 KB, 446x547
>>334697073
The N3DS can be hacked just as easily, not sure why you're implying it's only the case for the O3DS. Hell, the scene is starting to figure out streaming, too.
>>
>>334697156
It's always the same argument. Any niche title on the Vita is shit while Yokai Watch is praised just because it appealed to the kids who didn't want to play Pokémon.
>>
>>334697212
>NTRViewer
ohoho
>>
>>334696740
Yes. That's clear.

This is the thing though; It's a hell of a lot more than a system that moves fuck all hardware and has zero piracy.
>>
File: 1459438430923.jpg (68 KB, 515x317) Image search: [Google]
1459438430923.jpg
68 KB, 515x317
NO GAMES
NO HACKING
NO PURCHASE
>>
>>334696863
Lel, the 3DS is possibly Nintendo's worst handheld.
>>
>>334697156

Not him, but Neptunia and Senran are shit games dude.

P4G and Muramasa are good, but those are enhaced ports. Dragon Crown, GoW and FFX are ports. Can't comment on the rest because I haven't played them
>>
>>334697272
That title would belong to those shitty Game and Watch one-offs.
>>
>>334695295
Because Sony made it, and they can't do anything good without making things worse for themselves
>>
>>334697318
That's fair. I got both Nep and SK as a gift and I've been enjoying them so far. P4G and DT2 are my two favorites off that list.
>>
>>334697245
Yeah, you can fuck your 3DS while the Vita's looking in the corner.
>>
>>334695295
You can't hack it.
No emulators, no piracy, no homebrew.

Oh and those fucking Jew memory cards. If the damn thing had ever been hacked we might have found a way to find an alternative.
>>
>>334697249
Apart from that 12 games per owner statement in 2012. Has there ever been another indicator of vita's attach rate in later years?
>>
The PSP sold relatively little as well when compared to the DS. Now it's the same because 3DS sold significantly lesser than the DS.

/thread
>>
>>334695295
>expensive memory cards
>games are too expensive to develop that most studios avoided it
There's a reason why a fuckton of games in it are just dungeon crawlers.
>>
>>334698082
Not only that, but you can't even make a game that looks like Killzone because only Sony has access to the SDK that unlocks Vita's clock.
>>
>>334695295
You know how Sony supported the fuck out of the ps3 even after people said it has no games and other shit?

Well Sony didn't do the same with the vita... they dropped all support early on and hoped it died. Tho it kept getting games anyway.
>>
>>334698462
I've never heard this claim. Any further reading?
>>
File: 1454139968996.jpg (179 KB, 1049x633) Image search: [Google]
1454139968996.jpg
179 KB, 1049x633
How did the superior handheld system sell less this gen? Was it really meme magic that sold the Gameboy and killed the Gamegear?
>>
2016 games we got so far and what's coming out later:

MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies
Neptunia vs Sega Hard Girls
Atelier Escha and Logy Plus
God Eater: Resurrection
God Eater 2: Rage Burst
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Mighty No 9
Grand Kingdom
World of Final Fantasy
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
Gal Gun Double Peace
Attack on Titan
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Toukiden 2
Danganronpa V3
Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS Force
Moero Crystal (asain version has english)
Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (asain version has english)
One Piece: Burning Blood
Muv-Luv
Salt and Sanctuary
Trillion: God of Destruction
Stranger of Sword City
Samurai Warriors 4: Empires
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus
Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault
Root Letter
Root Double- Before Crime * After Days
Shiren The Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate
Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness
Criminal Girls 2
Yomawari: Night Alone
Croixieur Sigma
Gundam Breaker 3 (asain version has english)
Zero Time Dilemma
Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization
Atelier Sophie
SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (asain version has english)
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X
Skullgirls 2nd Encore
Attack on Titan
Ray Gigant

Guaranteed Replies
>>
>>334695295
>Weebshit everywhere you look
>memory cards
>no actual fun games
>>
>>334698643
Aren't they releasing an English Moe Chronicle this year?
>>
>>334698605
Man, you could even keep going with the later generations. Technically, the PS1 is the weakest, so is the PS2, and then there's the Wii and DS.
>>
>>334695295
It was truly a weebstation, which the 3DS was not and sold more because of it.
>>
>>334696664
Im pretty sure the gta games sold more, those were the main reasons people bought it.
>3d gta on the go
That shit was bonkers
>>
>>334698518
Its CPU can be clocked at upwards to 2GHz, but it's locked at 444MHz.

No other Vita game looks as good as Killzone and drains the battery as fast.
>>
>>334698862
[citation needed]
>>
>>334695295
>How did the superior handheld system sell less this gen?

-Pokemon
-Mario
-Zelda
-Monster Hunter

Thats all there is to it.

3DS sold like shit till Pokemon XY came out.
>>
>>334698643
>Mighty No 9

Delayed until 20XX
>>
>>334698643
I'm getting the PS4/PC versions of the multiplat titles, I'm even holding back on Neptunia V II since they have been porting all of them to PC.

Even so, that leaves me Atelier, Moero Crystal, Trillion, Shiren, Yomawari and Ray Gigant.
>>
>>334698709
Handhelds have been Nintendo only with some niche side device since they started making them.

Nintendo has destroyed:
Wonderswan
Neo Geo Pocket
GameGear
Lynx
CP32
N-Gage
Zodiac Tapwave
V-Smile Pocket
Nomad
PSP

And many more.

Consoles it's usually someone trying to be first to market that fails, like Atari and Sega in the 90s
>>
>>334699298
Shit, the N-Gage was a neat concept at the time. Completely forgot about it until you mentioned it again.
>>
>>334699364
If they had only waited 10 years they would have had a hit with an Android OS
>>
>>334697832
What is the average attach rate anyway? For all systems.
>>
>>334698862
Well, I can believe the battery claim at least. It can drain the battery from full to zero in about 30 minutes.
>>
http://www.godisageek.com/2016/02/playstation-tv-being-discontinued-worldwide/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1207378
>>
>>334699797
5/6 games
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.