[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why was it so shitty, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5
File: fallout-4.png (628 KB, 765x497) Image search: [Google]
fallout-4.png
628 KB, 765x497
why was it so shitty, /v/?
>>
Because Bethesda has no talent.
>>
because /v/ says everything is shitty
>>
>>334692571
Boring as fuck and it has shitty story.
>>
It wasn't shitty, just thoroughly middling.
The dialogue system and the talking protagonist fucking kills it though.
>>
>>334692571
No skills, no advanced dialogue options, shallow world, boring story line.
>>
The game's not shitty. It's just not a good Fallout title. That's an important distinction.
>>
So fucking boring with too many locations constantly popping up with mindless quests. Didn't even get to Kelloggs before I stopped playing.

Also ended up using bat execution for materials cause scraping and playing Sims house settling doesn't belong in a fallout game.
>>
>>334692571
Its Bethesda, what were you expecting ?
The only thing they have to show for isthe huge unninteresting maps that reel in sandbox plebs.

>Gameplay is shit
>Story is shit
>Combat is even shitter
>Repetitve
>No real plot choices

Name a game deved by Bethesda that was't like this. INB4 inner nostalgiafaggism kicks in and you say Morrowind
>>
>>334692571
Discounted goty at 5$ when
>>
It's mindless fun and very enjoyable with mods.
Quests and story are lacking but if you can ignore that it's a massive timesink.
It's a good game, just not a good Fallout game.
Like Witcher is a good game but a horrible adaption.
>>
>>334693874
>I want to play Scrolls/Fallout but without X or Y
Then don't play sandbox games if you hate them. If you want plot choices then play your Mass Effects or whatever.
>>
File: 1460935873658.png (129 KB, 1580x776) Image search: [Google]
1460935873658.png
129 KB, 1580x776
>map is tiny by modern open world standards, can get from one side to the other in a matter of minutes
>speaking of which, the map has a fucking invisible wall...in a AAA open world game...in 2016
>plot makes no fucking sense as demonstrated by pic related
>you knew it was bad when it was considered a selling point that you could rename your gun
>stupid tacked on minecraft elements that became a selling point of the game at the expense of actual gameplay
>no karma system and no faction system meaning your choices in the game had no impact whatsoever
>voiced main character
>no ability to play as a diplomatic character
>all quests some variation of "go here and clear out the dungeon" worse than skyrim
>only one good sidequest - silver shroud, the rest were just interchangeable tacked on bullshit
>consequently all writing was put into the main story which is garbage
>no interesting characters
>really only two fucking main towns in a 2016 AAA open world game
>dialogue options are stripped down and don't even necessarily relate to the one-word prompt you're given
>the only potentially interesting part of the map is completely barren and inaccessible unless you have a hazmat suit or power armor
>horrible pacing in the first few hours

i thought the game looked pretty dated from the trailers but honestly the stuff they took out of fallout 4 presumably in order for them to focus on the horribly implemented settlement building garbage (which has no real effect) makes this to my mind the worst bethesda game yet
>>
>>334694012

>Quests and story are lacking but if you can ignore that it's a massive timesink

I will agree it's a timesink - I sunk a lot of time into it expecting it to get good. Then I did what people say you're supposed to do and just explored the map, to "create my own adventure" and all that happened was a bunch of copy-paste dungeons full of ghouls or super mutants, with virtually nothing in the way of random encounters. When I got to the invisible wall that is arbitrarily put there (srsly how hard would it have been to just put somewhere your radiation increases quick until you die?) my immersion was so broken I gave up.
>>
File: 1451451176297.jpg (69 KB, 920x380) Image search: [Google]
1451451176297.jpg
69 KB, 920x380
>>334694318
>I want you to gather my top scientists...and get them to make a robot version of me...as a ten-year-old!
Genius
>>
>>334692571
Are mods good?
>>
Supposed Far Harbor leaker hinted that there is tension between the developers and the suits over Fallout 4 and a lot of shit they wanted in there not being allowed.

Makes sense because it feels like a fucking shell.
>>
>>334695586

where's this? link?
>>
>>334692571
Because you cant take the elder scroll aporch to every thing.

Thats it.

No rpg.

Just a shooter.

Shit story.

>>
>>334692890
Mediocrity is a certain kind of shittyness, specifically when bethesda gets praised for it to high heavens for years now.
>>
>>334695726
I don't have it but ask about Far Harbor over in the Fallout General on /vg/ and someone will post it. The leak, no one saved his other comments that hinted at that happening.
>>
>>334695586
I do wonder how much of Fallout 4's outcome was Todd, and how much was suits meddling in shit.
>>
>>334695831

precisely this. the best people can say about it are tons of excuses - "not a good fallout game" or "it's good if you ignore the quests and story" and yet it gets given 9/10, 9.5/10 by so many reviewers just so they can stay sweet with bethesda.
>>
>>334694318
> >map is tiny by modern open world standards, can get from one side to the other in a matter of minutes
No fuck that, map was to massive, you don't know where to go, what to do, you start wondering pointless fucking empty buildings for hours acomplishing fuck all and not playing the game for weeks afterwards, they should start instancing levels of the game, that way they could pay much much more detail to the loot around, lore, quests, over all designs, open world the most lazy shit ever
>>
>>334696053
Yeah as if you cant get bots or idiot chincks let reviews write for you. Rig votes .

Pleas annon. You cant be that stupid.
>>
>>334692571
(Sarcastic)
>>
>>334692571

>Shit plot
>Really really really shit dialogue
>No different choices
>Infinite levelling up means you can get every perk easily
>Not an RPG
>Boring quests (fetch thing from convenient chest)
>Shitty companions/companion quests are just conversations
>etc etc
>>
>>334695831
They did receive some praise but certainly not to the high heavens.
User score on metacritic was 5.4
>>
People expected a lot but instead got a painstaking average game. It wasn't memorable and toward the end I was really struggling to finish it. Ended up getting 100% on principle and then deleting it forever.

Not sure if hype causes a lot of this sort of reaction but the game just felt like any average game out there. Nothing great or terrible about it.
>>
>>334696584
It doesn't help that Bethesda seem like Bizarro World developers. Most devs improve and add to games as the series progresses, they literally remove aspects as it goes on. I have never seen shit like this and still be such successes in my life.
>>
>>334696584

i honestly didn't expect that much - just maybe some improvements in terms of narrative, some interesting characters and attention to the criticisms that all their side quests consist of "go here and clear out the dungeon" but as >>334696651 based anon here says, they actually made all of those aspects worse. usually bethesda games at least have some side quests you can get lost in for a few hours, but with FO4 it's all tied up into an incredibly stupid main quest storyline and the only halfway decent side quest is the silver shroud one which takes like an hour, and isn't even that good desu. then they decided to go with a voiced main character, the expense of which is presumably the reason for having to cut back on dialogue options to the point where there are only ever four and you're not given an indication of what they are before saying them.
>>
>>334692571
>Yes
>Yes [rude]
>Yes [sarcastic]
>Ask me again later

Also the weapon and crafting systems are a purified, distilled exemplification of everything that is wrong with crafting in videogames
>collect every single thing you come across on the off chance that you might be able to make something useful out of it at some uncertain point in the future
>most resources and salvage items are placed nonsensically so good luck going out and finding that last sheet of aluminium you need

Story is generic wank, factions are all 'we have good intentions but fail to see the obvious flaw in our long term thinking :^)', gunplay while improved is still floaty and soft and weapon diversity is practically non-existent. The perk and levelling system is also bad in that perks are gated behind stats that require the same currency to improve as the perks do to acquire and that they all improve based solely on experience. There is nothing to stop you grinding mobs to level 30+ and using your vast experience squashing bloatflies to become a master of speechcraft and persuasion.

In three words, 'lack of depth'.
>>
>>334696418
Yep the chests alone made it feel like a shitty mmo quest everytime.
>>
>>334696890
>There is nothing to stop you grinding mobs to level 30+ and using your vast experience squashing bloatflies to become a master of speechcraft and persuasion.

i lol'd - thanks
>>
>>334692929
I wish this meme would die
>>
>>334696104
Nigger what? The map was fucking small, there was nothing remarkable
>>
>>334696104
It looks massive but if you actually run it to areas, it's very fucking small. It's an illusion.
>>
>>334696887
>b-but we recorded more than 10,000 lines of dialogue!
Fuck outta here, I bet half of that shit is related to the "help that settlement because we're useless niggers" shit
>>
Every conversation needing EXACTLY four responses made the writers have to either sandbag or cut down on their intended dialogue choices. The consequence is too much development time spend on fluffing up cosmetic binary choices and too little time fleshing out any of the choices that are supposed to matter in the game's narrative or world.

Honestly, I don't know who came up with the four choice format, but he should be fucking fired. It was a huge waste of time.
>>
>>334697252
>>334697316

you can run from one side to the other in something like 20 minutes, and what's more most of the map is so barren (and not in a good post-apocalyptic way) that there's practically a sign on each setpiece that says "COMING SOON: A BETTER GAME"
>>
i cant stop re-rolling my character in this game help
>>
>>334697209
>being so indoctrinated into /v/ contrarianism he literally begins to think all games are shit

That doesn't say anything about vidya, friendo. It just means you're weak willed.
>>
>>334697821
>projecting
>>
>>334696418
>Companion quests are just conversations

If you want to make a complaint, at least make a complaint about something real
>>
This game would've been ok if it came out 10 years ago.
>>
>>334692571

Because it's not actual RPG and it ignores the main idea behind original Fallouts even harder than Fallout 3. Players actions have consequences.
>>
>>334697628
It's mostly just variations of the word yes and sadly not the band
>>
>>334696890
>complains it lacks depth
>also complains crafting materials are not lying in front of your feet
>complains in the same sentence that placement of the resources is nonsensical
Oh jesus I'll fucking go to an abandoned office building, I sure hope I'll find tons of wood, then I'll wander around the wilderness, as there are twenty crates of ceramic for me to collect!
>>
People complained (rightly) in Skyrim that you could be archmage of winter, kill the emperor, rise to the top of the thieves guild, conquer a society of secretive assassins and be essentially a mythical demigod and you'd still be treated by random yarls as though you're a peasant and be made to do menial tasks in order to prove your worth.

But fuck at least Skyrim had multiple side quests that gave you some sense of achievement. Fallout 4 has none of that - virtually every side quest consists of you going to some abandoned factory, killing some ghouls and then killing a bigger ghoul, then you come back and get some caps or a gun you'll probably never use.
>>
>>334698247
The only companion quest I liked was Valentine's, then maybe Cait's
Valentine a bro though
>>
>>334699234
Do you get to the cloud district very often?
>>
>>334699234
This is something lots of open games have a problem with, that older games did not. They had tighter narratives.

In Baldur's Gate 2 you started out as a relative unknown in Amn and you grow in popularity- but you dont get to do ridiculous shit that would obviously change the setting stupidly and make you super important.

I'd rather the game NOT let me do meaningless achievements, like killing a King, if no one acknowledges it.
>>
>>334698497

Materials part has nothing to do with lack of depth of story. Story in Fallout should be action and their consequences, how player affects non-player characters, factions and the world by their choices.

Fallout is about war not changing, because humans don't change. Your morality is nearly irrelevant. You can be horrible monster and save everything and everyone for some odd reason or alternatively destroy pretty much everything and kill everyone... then just kill enough evil NPC's in random encounters to become fucking jesus.

Yes, yes, yes and yes later options in dialogue and tons of essential characters makes Bethesda Fallouts sort of bizarre linear games where you can only go through one story where you can somewhat choose the order of linear events.
>>
I'll give Fallout 4 that it has better gun play than 3 and NV, but it still feels like shit and it doesn't have lean so it's terrible. Not counting corner leaning that didn't work half the time.
The thing I hate most of all about Fallout 4 besides the dialog is how unique gear isn't even fucking unique because of legendary drops.
Would have been better if they just fucking removed that shit, it does nothing but fuck up the balance of the game.
>>
>>334698497
possibly the most moronic post in this thread, good job anon

>>complains crafting materials are not lying in front of your feet
Except that's not what I said at all you waddling jizz balloon. In fact it's functionally the opposite

The game leaves unsurmountable mountains of trash lying around seemingly at random and gives you no way to determine what you will and won't need. This would be perfectly acceptable if not for the fact that there is no sensible pattern to what trash items can be found in what locations. I could go into an office building in the hopes of finding ripped up floorboards or smashed mechanical goods and instead find sheets of plastic and bottles of glue. I could go to a train station hoping to find metal sheeting and instead find a teddy bear and some blankets. I can walk past a pile of metal cans on the floor and not be able to pick them up because they're environment junk and not inventory items.

Resource placement is random at best and disingenuous at worst. The overabundance of junk items and poor resource placement together make crafting needlessly tedious and result in endless wandering hoping that maybe, just maybe, there'll be some aluminium foil inside that box of medical supplies.
>>
File: clap.gif (2 MB, 610x350) Image search: [Google]
clap.gif
2 MB, 610x350
>>334692693
>>
>>334692571
Skyrim blew my mind more than this game, I was addicted to Skyrim for a while I think
>>
No cities, apparently the entire wasteland is 20 dudes living on a baseball field.

Everything else is a warehouse or abandoned whatever.
>>
>"there is another settlment that needs-
>run away before i start a dialog
>try to start a dialog with an npc
>the ncp moves away during the dialog
>have to start over again.

it ruins my immersion to the game.

the lack of guns are also shit. half of them are reskins.
>>
>>334699234
>psst. hey, i know who you are. hail sithus,
>>
>>334702146

It feels unfinished - like diamond city could be cool if it was one city among many. Like I dunno a city that is based entirely around trying to rebuild 50s diners. Then another city ruled by the children of atom. But it's like they had a good idea and just left it at that. Even the institute is just wasted potential
>>
At least it was better than 3
>>
>>334702602
But it wasn't though. You'd have to be a complete idiot to actually believe that.
>>
>>334701357
I came across massive amounts of junk, the only things mildly rare were adhesive and ceramic with the robot dlc but that is still manageable with occasional restocking from vendors.
You are just grasping at straws when there are much bigger problems with Fallout 4.
>>
File: Fallout3 2014-07-10 14-05-45-66.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Fallout3 2014-07-10 14-05-45-66.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>334702669
I guess I'm a complete idiot
>>
>>334702778
what are console commands?
>>
>>334702791

Fallout is RPG series and is supposed to be RPG series. When it comes to RPG elements in the Fallout 4... it's even worse than Fallout 3. Non essential shit like gun play might have improved, but in every other way possible it's even shallower game than it's predecessor.
>>
>>334703119

gun play isn't even essential because of VATS - i played a character based around sneak and action points, so the fact that the gun play had improved was essentially pointless, and there's no way i'm giving this game a second playthrough.
>>
>>334692571
I do not get what you are trying to say, I've never used console commands for items.
>>
>>334703556
Was meant for >>334703075
>>
>>334703119
Yeah but the gunplay in Fallout 4 was actually fun
>>
>>334702146
And somehow an endless supply of raiders
>>
>>334704310

at the expense of a karma system and interesting factions? give me shitty gunplay any day.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.