[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you realize the moment you lost all hope in vidya?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 12
>vidya suffers from grafx, sequelitis & sameplay
>this becomes the industry standard
>good games with innovative mechanics become too scarce
>a good game is released
>please let this be the wake up call for the industry
>nope
>the game joins the ranks of grafx & sequelitis
>tries to innovate but breaks everything that made the first good
>people lap it up anyway
>Homeworld remaster gets announced
>oh for the love of god let it be Homeworld-1-good
>it's shit
It was like my soul dried up & disintegrated. I've become a zombie roaming /v/ & I keep trying new games but nothing satisfies me.
>>
But Anon their focus groups told them the games they make are great!
>>
>>334688142

>want great graphics
>having toaster for pc
>don't want to pay anything for vidya

go kill yourself
>>
>want good games
>they don't make good games anymore

the struggle.
>>
World of Warcraft / Subscription model.

Paved the way for DLC imo.
>>
When I realised I only played games due to my huge backlog and not because I enjoyed them.

If I didn't buy 300 games from 2010-2013 then I'd probably barely play games any more.
>>
>le tired pc gamer thread
Every time
>>
>>334688791
Shut the fuck up. Just because you lap up shit doesn't mean I have to.
>>
>>334688864
>>>/vr/
Go cry there
>>
>>334688417
(You)
>>
>>334688142
>Did you realize the moment you lost all hope in vidya?
Yup! E3 2011

Then Undertale gave me my hope back
>>
I've stopped playing newer games.
Maybe my attention span has just gone to shit as I get older, but I can't stand starting a game and having an hour or two worth of story exposition and tutorials until it actually lets me play.

I miss just turning the system on and pressing start.
>>
>>334688561
This. Gaming's become nothing more than a habit for me. Something to occupy myself with when I don't want to do anything.
Granted, I never want to do anything.
>>
>>334688142
bioshock infinite was the game that broke me

nowdays theres barely any games coming out, i just go through the back catalogs
>>
>>334688142
To The Moon was pretty good, desu.

>>334689254
Infinite was the shittiest game of the series so far.
>>
>>334689443
>To The Moon
It had a pleasant story, no more no less.
>>
>>334689940
I'd agree.

It was decent but no more. An ok way to waste an afternoon.
>>
Undertale wasn't a sequel, wasn't just graphics wankery, and had unique gameplay while also being loved by the industry.
>>
>>334690396
>Undertale
>>
Probably somewhere between Westwood dying in the hands of EA games, Oblivion being the first of Bethesda's bland an boring games and Far Cry 2 being utter shit.
>>
Nah you're just a faggot with Nothing's-Ever-Good-Enough syndrome like the rest of this board.
>>
>>334690396
> unique game play
> nier already did it
> unique themes
> nier already did it
>>
File: 1421139191795.jpg (84 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1421139191795.jpg
84 KB, 768x1024
>>334688142
When I bought a PS3.
>>
>>334690767
>Nier has the same gameplay as Undertale
lmao what
>>
I think a real emphasis needs to be placed on the fact that development used to be about the games, and that was it.

The rest was just cursory bullshit.
>>
>>334690627
This.
>>
>western games
>>
File: bad-dudes-president[1].png (7 KB, 512x480) Image search: [Google]
bad-dudes-president[1].png
7 KB, 512x480
Probably when gameplay became secondary to story.

I just want to go back to punching ninjas. You don't need to stop the action every couple of minutes to add cutscenes or backstories, just let me experience this and join the dots myself.
>>
Perhaps when they turned Tomb Raider into a generic feefees-driven cutscene fest. Or when Battlefield 3 came out. Or when TLOU got ridiculous reviews. Or when Kotaku rose to prominence.
>>
>>334690842
Nintendyearolds on suicide watch.
>>
File: image.png (80 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
80 KB, 600x600
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5.
I pretended like nothing was wrong, that things could still go back to the way they were, but deep down in my heart, I just knew video games were dead from this point forward.
Just.
Fuck.
>>
File: 1362963344803.png (117 KB, 1024x749) Image search: [Google]
1362963344803.png
117 KB, 1024x749
I haven't, I'm still having fun.

Sure, some old things I used to like have gone to shit, but there are also cool new things to replace them.
>>
File: 1383116280273.jpg (77 KB, 996x459) Image search: [Google]
1383116280273.jpg
77 KB, 996x459
>>334688142

Let me guess, you' between 15-18 years old and have entered that emo stage we all go through.
>>
>>334688142

I have not lost hope in vidya at all. Every year there are still 2 or 3 games coming out that I very much enjoy, although most of them are indie rpgs and point and click games.

What I did lost hope in however is innovation. Indies are good at replicating older systems and adding in small twists, but they can't move the genres forward where innovation actually matters. That needs the kind of budget they don't have, and AAA games refuse to do it either. They probably couldn't even if they wanted to. The graphics are too fragile to handle greater player agency.

It's a shame. When Thief and Deus Ex came out I thought gameplay would only get better with time. Good times those were.
>>
>>334688142
sucks to be you
>>
File: 1460071693565.png (209 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1460071693565.png
209 KB, 1000x1000
Man I'm not even into Nintendo or simulation/RTS games and I still think the future of this gen looks so bright that I need sunglasses to appreciate it.

>Western Console/PC Games
Ratchet and Clank
Overwatch
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dishonored 2
Uncharted 4
Horizon: Zero Dawn
No Man's Sky
WiLD
Tyranny
Divinity: Original Sin 2

>Japanese Console/PC Games
Persona 5
NieR: Automata
Final Fantasy XV
Nioh
Gravity Rush 2
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
Trails in the Sky Third Chapter
Tekken 7
King of Fighters 14
Ace Combat 7

>Handheld Games
Trails of Cold Steel 2
Ys VIII
Tokyo Xanadu
Steins;Gate 0
Zero Time Dilemma
Danganronpa V3
Shiren the Wanderer 5+
Stranger of Sword City
Project Diva X

>Indie Games
Yooka Laylee
Va-11 Hall-a
The Banner Saga 2
Alienation
Cuphead

Plus fucking DMC5 and Wild Arms 7 are both essentially confirmed to be happening at this point.

It's a brand new, glorious golden age for gaming.
>>
>>334691959
>console
>golden age of gaming

My sides
>>
>>334691959
>Ratchet and Clank
Remake
>Overwatch
TF2 clone.
>Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Sequel of a reboot of an 11 year old game.
>Dishonored 2
Sequel
>Uncharted 4
Sequel

So much innovation!
>>
>>334691740
>pre-DOOM
discarded
>>
>>334692171
And you wonder why you hate video games
But hey enjoy your pixel indie shit
>>
>>334692184
So what? They are still good games. If you want something new, shut your mouth and go make it.
>>
>>334692171
>le all console games are bad maymay
>>334692184
>le only innovation matters, not the quality of the game itself maymay

Top memes, lads. Top. Memes.
>>
>>334692184
so you never watch movies that are remotely like any other movie? you didn't watch Godfather 2 because it was a sequel to Godfather 1?

Maybe you don't like eating burgers because you ate a burger before.
>>
>wants every game that is released to be different and fresh

I'm sorry, you try to code a game from scratch, then see how much of it you want to throw out, to make the game 'fresh' again.

games need previous code to grow in complexity

'Sameplay' is a mix of tight deadline, but just as much fucking fanboys that reject anything different from what made a game great.

Fact of the matter is, you're jaded as fuck, and need to stop pretending like capitalism doesn't exist.
>>
>>334692331
>quality
>shitty remake with 1/3 of the content cut and final boss changed to nefarious for no reason
kek
>>
>>334692393
The top memes just won't stop coming! Oh, jesus has blessed us today!
>>
>>334692250
What do you mean? Pretty much most of that list is on PC, consoles are not contributing anything this gen, they haven't contributed anything since 2000-4 and are just holding back gaming as a whole.
>>
>>334692485
Not even close. But you'll just say the ones that aren't are shit.
Stay deluded PC fat.
>>
>>334692485
>this is what pcucks have actually convinced themselves

Enjoy missing out on most of the best vidya from the last decade, I guess.
>>
Innovation in any field still using the same platform will always slow down exponentially.
>>
>>334688142
Funny that you posted a Megaman picture with that post.
>>
>>334692545
>>334692546
Funny people, all games are inherently on PC because they are made on PC. And are finally then downgraded to be fitted on to the consoles. You plebs have deluded yourselves so badly that you think consoles are good. Fuck off will you? Dumb pieces of shit.
>>
>>334692920
This is some serious backpedaling.
Go sign more petitions.
>>
>>334692920
If consoles didn't exist the gaming market would never have grown to be more than a small hobbyist one.

Pretty much every game you've ever played would not exist without consoles.
>>
File: 1452638723388.jpg (117 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1452638723388.jpg
117 KB, 1280x720
>>334693046
More like games wouldn't exist if PC didn't exist, stay mad consolecuck. Come back to me when your precious PS4 can run star citizen and then we can talk about big boy things.

If consoles didn't exist, this man wouldn't have been fucked by Konami and his games would've been out of this world but ah well, this is reality.
>>
>>334693335
Damn, the salt is real.
>>
>>334690627
Nah, you're just a faggot which accepts the shit you are fed by the modern dogshit gaming industry.
>>
Like, get a new hobby you bunch of losers.
>>
>>334691159
>when gameplay became secondary to story
In doing so they made it so that they can just remake games with gameplay concepts that have already been done but just change the story & looks. It's part of the cancer that destroyed gaming.
>>
>>334691030
Mirror's Edge 2 is becoming the kind of villain you were struggling against in Mirror's Edge 1.

SUCC
>>
>>334691740 (_30)
>>
>>334688142
When I watched my nephews playing Super Metroid on the Wii U.
>>
>>334691773
>The graphics are too fragile to handle greater player agency
This is the specific reason there are people who argue that graphics are cancer, just saying for those who are always flabbergasted at it.

What if a law was established where a vidya is not allowed to have more than 2 sequels? What if with every new IP, they start from scratch, weak 2D graphics only to test the waters at a low cost, & with each success they increase their graphics budget while fine-tuning the gameplay?

Pray tell me what some of these games you enjoyed are. I enjoyed Hyper Light Drifter a fair bit, but not enough to bother for a 100% run, nor for NG+
>>
>>334692347
>watch movies
What now?

For that matter yes, I don't enjoy eating anything anymore. I'm on an all-Soylent diet.

With film, as with gaming, there was a golden age & that has long since passed.
>>
>>334691959
>5
>15
>7
>14
>7
>8
>5+!
>10
wew lad. looks like you're fine with just more of the same over & over again. Wish I could say the same.
>>
>>334688142
>day one dlc became the main, expansion packs are no longer
>People main smartphone games

Ive stopped caring really, this world is on fire
>>
>>334692390
I know this is their way of making money, though that shouldn't be the primary motivator, but that's beside the point. Where does most of the money go to? Advertizing & the businessmen's pockets. And why shouldn't it go into advertizing when the whole world responds to hype better than intelligent critique? It makes so much more money so much faster than spending more time on polishing games, testing them thoroughly. Good on them. Sucks to be me.

I don't remember the last time I've heard of a dev working on a game with "no fixed deadline" for the sake of getting the game just right (aside from obvious vaporware kickstarter scams). Glitches, bugs, crappy netcode & optimization abound!

To top it off most AAA devs use crafty, established methods to keep the sheep baaaa hooked to their games, even at the cost of proper gameplay balance. The kinds of methods Vegas uses to hook players to their slots. Is this ethical?
>>
>>334688142
Bloodborne came out just last year. Go play that.

Unless of course you don't have a PS4
>>
>>334688142
i prefer new games from a series i know and love with updates in sequels than a whole new series all together introducing something new.

because it's never interesting, when I already know what to expect from my favorite franchises.
>>
>>334696318
There is nothing that compares to getting "in the zone" in vidya. You're here forever.
>>
Honestly it's the reason why I got into game development. Not because I want to make games my job, that would just make me hate games even more, but because if I hate the games being released nowadays I'll just make my own games as a hobby. Games suited to my own interests. Of course it won't be as fancy made by actual companies and I don't plan on releasing it since I'm only catering to myself, but if video games continue on the path it's on now then doing it myself is the only solution.
>>
>>334698106
>stopped caring
Pray help me achieve your enlightment.
>>
>>334698740
The first game in OP's post is DaS.
But I've played BB, I've played DaS 2 & tried a bit of 3. Each successive time it takes more effort for me to launch them until I can no longer bring myself to do so.
>>
>>334688142
I never did because I'm not a NEET shitwipe who fell for the /v/ hivemind.

Almost everything you faggots think about games and entertainment in general is completely ass backwards. For example, the view that AAA devs and publishers can't or don't take risks - completely absurd if you actually knew what it took to build up these companies and generate this funding.
>>
The release of Black Ops was the start of it for me personally.
I felt a shudder when I watched my friends flock to a game I saw as of no value.
>>
Games being half-assed is my major complaint. Too many titles are being shoved onto store shelves without much testing going into them. So many titles are just filled with bugs and glitches, it's any wonder people still support these companies. There are some mild cases, but when a game like The Division can still be worth 60 dollars, you know things have gone to shit.
>>
>>334700120
I don't really blame them too much, honestly. It's mostly PC versions with bugs. PC was always a popular platform, but I feel like there's greater variation between everyone's builds now than there ever was, and also less tech savvy people with the time on their hands to program a user patch for the community (also because games are much more complex now). Old games ALWAYS got user made patches. And games today still work fine on high end rigs, which goes to show you that they still optimize their games, but only for the top 10 or so rigs.
>>
>>334688529
AAHAHAAHAH

Stop posting
>>
I lost all hope when ugly, cheap polygons started replacing beautiful but expensive sprites. And when story and realism became more important than gameplay or challenge. So basically, the late '90s.

However, over time I learned to be OK with not being into popular or mainstream games and am happy sticking to retro games and the occasional retro-inspired new game.

Nothing lasts forever. Either embrace change or accept it and move on. Or be unhappy.
>>
>>334699589
>what it took
>past-tense VIDYA USED TO BE GUD
>these companies and this funding
>present-tense VIDYA IS SHIT NOW
See a pattern here? They used to innovate, once they achieve a financially safe formula they roost on it.
>>
>>334700387
>greater variation between everyone's builds now
What? It used to be a sea of different hardware companies before. Now it's literally
CPU: Intel or AMD lol
GPU: Nvidia or Radeon

Even the variations in each generation's different hardware tiers are no excuse. I dunno about Intel but I presume that i3, i5 & i7 operate on the same basis. Nvidia were literally caught selling the same high-tier cards as low-tier cards with a soft-lock on its performance, i.e. they are exactly the same except their capacities. Radeon might do the same, even if it doesn't, refer to my Intel argument.
>>
>>334700621
Please don't read this in any negative tone; do you know of any games, retro or not, that are fairly innovative with their gameplay?
>>
>>334701168
I might as well elaborate that I mean innovative by today's standards as opposed to their standards. Anything that looks like it wasn't developed on into today's market?
>>
>>334700724
They still innovate, and they still take risks. What, you seriously don't think that deciding to sink $500 million into a single project isn't a risk? With that much money at stake, which could break a company in half if lost and throw hundreds out without jobs , you bet your sweaty asshole that it's a risk, and all the commercial stats they follow and advertising they buy in order to make a profit doesn't change that, in fact that is all a symptom of the fact that it is an incredible risk and they are aware of it.
>>
>>334692484
>Everything is a meme!
>>
>>334700120
>Games being half-assed is my major complaint
That was always the case for PC.
>>
>>334700621
>I lost all hope when ugly, cheap polygons started replacing beautiful but expensive sprites
Are you talking about 2.5D games? Because 3D games in general are far better than 2D games. Your complaint only makes sense for 2.5D.
>>
>>334700621

I would be happy if story and realism had the same importance than gameplay. I can't go back to pure gameplay.
>>
>>334688142
I never lost hope in vidya itself, but I lost hope in the people who play them after reading a discussion on framerate and how "anything under 60fps is unplayable."
>>
File: 1425206910001.jpg (850 KB, 1575x1181) Image search: [Google]
1425206910001.jpg
850 KB, 1575x1181
>>334705253
I was like you once. Then I came back looking for gameplay. Just to find out... she was gone. Never to return.
>>
File: 1427024048001.jpg (44 KB, 597x590) Image search: [Google]
1427024048001.jpg
44 KB, 597x590
>>334706014
Butthurt console players projecting their issues onto every fucking thread.
>>
>>334706293
?
>>
>>334706293

I don't know, as a butthurt PC players that never could stomach the advent on Valve shitty platform and the locking up of the PC platform, I don't think we have any lesson to give anymore.
>>
>>334706467
Fuck you.

>>334706502
>he doesn't play pre-2000 shooters exclusively.
>>
>>334706624
What? I don't get it.
>>
>>334688142
>Memeworld
le kharak is burning XD
>>
>>334706702
Of couse you don't.
>>
>>334706834
Ok... I just found it irritating how people always whine about framerate. I have no issues with framerate and I don't own any consoles aside from an old busted Genesis.
>>
>>334688142
long time ago when Oblivion released, welcome to the grown-up world
>>
When LoL became popular and people couldn't see it for the shit that it was
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.