[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Halo ODST > Reach > 2 > 1 > 3 >>>> dog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: best.jpg (143 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
best.jpg
143 KB, 1280x1024
Halo ODST > Reach > 2 > 1 > 3 >>>> dog shit >>>> 5 > 4

COME AT ME
>>
It's impossible to accurately rate halo games along a single axis due to their strengths and weaknesses not all evenly lining up; and even 4 is at worst only a "great" game compared to amazing or fantastic like all the prior ones, so I would disagree that it and especially 5 are worse then dog shit.
>>
File: 1458492452128.jpg (97 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1458492452128.jpg
97 KB, 640x480
>>334687595
Pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a70h0cX8AMM
>>
>>334687595

Actually I agree with you.

Good work senpai.
>>
>>334687595
Had the best soundtrack.
Fight me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWh9l8RSkPk
>>
>>334687595
My nigga
ODST > SPARTAN
>>
Soundtrack wise, absolutely. Campaign was kinda eh, but the change in pace was cool for a Halo game. Multiplayer, it's
2>5>3>1>Reach>4
>>
Post trailers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOPtdPrn6Q0
>>
>>334687595
Those who say 5 is bad never played the fucking game or are basing their opinions solely on the singleplayer.
>>
>>334689409
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IklqPx3unjs
Best trailer Halo ever had
Even better than the Believe trailer
>>
I think 5 deserves to be slightly in front of the dog shit
>>
>>334687595
Halo 3 > Reach > 1 > 5 (Pending) > ODST = 2 > Spartan Assault > 4 > Halo Wars

Haven't played 5 yet but it looks so good right now. I gave up on the story after Halo 4 and what they did to the Chief and Cortana and it looks like the campaign fugged it up even more and ruined a good waifu (but added a new, better one in her place) but the gameplay looks great and I love all the online multiplayer stuff they're adding as well as fixing up Forge.
>>
>>334690983
>5 better than ODST, or even 2 for that matter
Kill yourself
>>
File: wn24.jpg (43 KB, 660x330) Image search: [Google]
wn24.jpg
43 KB, 660x330
>people liked reach
>>
>people rating Reach
Reach was fucking shit. ODST was objevctively the last good game in the franchise.
>>
>>334693038
ODST used the same mp as 3 didn't it?
>>
>>334693383
Yeah, it came with a disc that included all o Halo 3s multiplayer, including all the dlc maps
>>
>Story/Writing:
2 > ODST > Reach > 3 > 5 > CE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4

>Campaign missions
2 > Reach => ODST > 3 => 4 > 5 > CE

>Atmosphere
ODST > Reach > CE > 2 > 3 = 4 = 5

>Music
ODST > CE = 2 = 3 > Reach > 5 > 4

>Default MP (MM settings)
2 > 5 > CE > 3 >> Reach >>> 4

>MP maps
2 > CE > 5 > 3 = 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reach

>Amount of content/Modularity
Reach >> 4 = 5 > 3 >> 2 = ODST > CE

>Weapon balance
5 >>> Reach > CE >>>>>>>>>> 3/ODST = 4 = 2

About ce's campaign placement: It just hasn't aged well. So much repeated hallways, reused level layouts later in the campaign, and the low amount of enemy and weapon varriety in the game make it a chore compared to every other halo game's campaign. even the open outdoor levels are sparse and empty: the fact it was made in 2001 shows.

Also, the story is very barebones. I know a lot of people like that about it, I just don't.

>>334693149
>>334693276
>not liking the fact it probably has the most amount of content of any console game.

The amount of modes and gametype settings you could tweak combined with how good it's forge adds up to an absolutely insane amount of content and ways to play. 99% of the issues people have with reach can be fixed just by going into the gamtype option and messing with shit or making betterr maps in forge.

Speaking of, people shit on reach and call it a bad game for having AA loadouts in MM, when that can be turned off, but nobody calls 2 a bad game just because SMG starts were a thing even though SMG starts were shit, it's a complete double standard, you only hold the parrticular game mode settings against reach and 4.

That said reach's MP maps were also garbage so that's a fair complaint.

>>334693383
It shipped with a stand alone version of halo 3's MP, yes.
>>
>>334693436
Then fuck no, it's not better than 5. It wasn't even a full game.
>>
>>334693556
And Halo 5 was?
>>
>>334693556
Not him but it depends on how you judge games: I like to only judge what's there, not what not's there or how much the game cost.

That said, if you are comparing ODST to the other games, then yeah, that's a fair complaint.

>>334693624
5 certainly was lacking a lot of content at launch but that's not comparable to actually lacking a unique MP mode.
>>
>>334693736
>lacking a unique multiplayer mode
Did you not play firefight at all?
That was a great addition to the series
>>
>1P
ODST>CE>Reach>2>3>4>5
>multi
2>=3>CE>Reach>5>4

objectively correct opinion coming through
>>
>>334693819
News flash: 5 has firefight
>>
>>334693819
You know what I meant.

ODST's FF was fantastic but it's not comparable or a replacement for normal MP.

>>334693836
>5 that low for MP

That's ridiculous. The fact ce is that high for campaign is too but you are far from the only one who has your nostalgia goggles on for that.

>>334693942
Sort of but not really.
>>
>>334693942
Newsflash, that's not unique is it. Seeing as it's so important to you, what unique MP mode did 5 add?
>>
>>334687791
the single smartest and most calm post ever made here
>>
>>334693836
Reach MP being anywhere but the bottom invalidates your list friend sorry. Reach MP is even worse than default Halo 4, an astounding feat in its own right.
>>
>>334693456
If I played games for content then I'd probably enjoy playing GTA and Mass Effect, that is not the case.
Forge was the only part of Reach that was actually good, custom games and multiplayer were both better in 3.
The DMR was an atrocity, it literally destroyed map flow, that in conjunction with shit maps and AA's. Firefight in Reach was objectively worse than ODST's, and it isn't even close.
I didn't care much for the campaign, but I can see why people liked it.
>>334693836
Agreed with multi-player.
>>
>>334687595

Singleplayer:

3 = 2 > 1 > ODST = Reach

Multiplayer

3 > 2 > Reach = 1 > ODST
>>
>>334694027
>Reach MP is even worse than default Halo 4, an astounding feat in its own right.

I have to heavily disagree. even discounting custom games where you can turn bad shit off, reach had far less bad shit then 4. The only advantage 4 has is better maps.

>>334694051
>The DMR was an atrocity, it literally destroyed map flow, that in conjunction with shit maps and AA's.
Nah, reach's maps have no flow to begin with, AA's actually make them less shit. As for the DMR, i'd argue it was less OP then the BR was in either 2 or 3, reach actually has pretty good weapon balance relative to most of the halo games.

As for firefight, by default it was way worse, but with the right settings you could get it pretty close. Really should have just been a MP version of the post credits lone wolf misson though.
>>
>>334694120
>ODST MP last
>H3 MP first

You do know that ODST's MP was literally H3's MP on a separate disk right?
>>
>>334689738
>5 multiplayer
>good
'better than 4' =/= 'good', anon
>lol we want sprint in our game to please the adhd audience
>but that doesn't work with traditional arena shooter map philosophy so let's makes all the 4vs4 maps either fuckhuge or have lots of retarded double-back corridors
>also let's put lots of stairs in for 'verticality' because that's the latest FPS buzzword
>dude card packs lmao
>and let's replace our big team variants with a hybrid pvp/pve mode where a team that gets completely shit on all game can still win by killing mobs also no safeguards against snowball victories lol going 22:0? great here have a tank
>weapon balance? nah m8 just DMR everything and if it's still alive when it gets within 10 feet switch to AR and pray it dies before you do
flawed as fuck game that manages to be 'fun with friends' in the same way memelands is 'fun with friends'. it's vapid, depthless nonsense that relies on random explosions and your ability to laugh at yourself when something goes wrong
>>
>>334687595
>all you faggots want to do is rate halo games
>none of you faggots actually want to start a halo ce server
>>
>>334694325
Anon halo 5 by far as the best weapon balance in the franchise, I can't even begin to understand how you can think otherwise. Literally the only guns that aren't viable or worth using are the forerunner pistol and forerunner AR. The UNSC AR could use more of an incentive to burst though, which you got at. In the beta accurate bursts were rewarded more with a sslight headshot bonus but they changed that in the final game.

As for map vertcality, they are vertcal in the same way 2 and ce's maps were, ie the best designed maps the franchise had. 5's aren't quite as good but they are in third.

all the new mobility options work fine. Hover and slide are a bit useless outside of niche skilljump stuff though.

>it's vapid, depthless nonsense

I'd say it's the most skill based halo since 2.
>>
>>334694249
>The only advantage 4 has is better maps.

And the better movement acceleration, weapon sandbox, static spread on the BR versus bloom, better grande physics, less melee lunge, no sword canceling.

>As for the DMR, i'd argue it was less OP then the BR was in either 2 or 3, reach actually has pretty good weapon balance relative to most of the halo games.

It absolutely does not. Once you start playing with even low Onyx level players using anything other than the DMR is asking to lose. The DMR and jetpack destroyed any semblance of balance the game had at a high level. The Battle Rifle was not nearly as dominant because it did not strictly beat everything sans power weapons at every range like the DMR did.

CE and 5 are the only actual 'balanced' halo games, but 4 is still a substantial leap forward from the, just, awful mess that was Reach.
>>
>>334694304

I never played ODST
>>
>>334694576
I think you've misunderstood my criticism of its weapon balance
My point is that you can spawn with a DMR and AR(?) possibly DMR and Magnum I can't remember it's been a few months, in any case ARs aren't difficult to find and there is no reason whatsoever to ever switch out weapons. The DMR still has its holdover problem from all of its incarnations in that it is obscenely efficient at any range and as long as you don't spam wildly makes every other weapon redundant. That's not 'balance', it's homogeneity. Sure, you can get a one up on a DMR user by sitting around a corner with a shotgun and waiting for him to pass you, but that's not an efficient playstyle it's overly restrictive and therefore not a good weapon choice. A more convincing case can be made for sniper rifles or that new one-hit-kill beam rifle thing but you would still never drop your DMR for one, you'd carry it as your backup.
>>
>>334694915
Buy it and play it then. It's brilliant.

You can buy it for the master chief collection if you have that.
>>
>>334695086
What. Are you talking about halo 5 or reach? Because 5 is AR/Magnum starts and the DMR is actually a marginal improvement over the magnum at mid range and worse at close because it has a longer TTK. The DMR is the backup weapon now, it doesn't make anything 'redudnant' anymore, and the sandbox is very well rounded.

Not well rounded enough for me to buy and xbox but thats just because I don't care about playing halo at a competitive level anymore.
>>
>>334694675
I'm going to again have to heavily disagree about 4 having a better weapon sandbox then reach. Reach happens to have a lot of weapons while still having them preform pretty uniquely and not just having clones for each faction: the focus rifle, while still a covie sniper, preformed differently and could be used in different roles, this applies for much of the sandbox

Only exceptions were the NR vs dmr and AR vs plasma repeater.

As far as the movement acceleration and all the other stuff, I'll admit I haven't played either game recently enough to comment. I'll give you sword canceling though.

>DMR balance shit

I had a different experience, I found the DMR was more focused at longer range use and less (not not useful, but less useful) useful at close/medium/close range then the BR was in 2 and 3, which gave the AR (which is way more accurate in reach then in 3 or ce), magnum (which was usable but not fantastic, certainly better then it was in 3 and not as sidearm-y as in 2), and other guns more wiggle room in usage.

ce's balance is "good" in the sense that the guns all preformed uniquely (ar and pr aside, which had much less differences), but the magnum was still a huge dominating force, much like the BR/DMR.

5's balance is virtually perfect though, the AR just needs more of a skillgap and the boltshot and suppersor need a buff

>>334695086
Ah, I see, but you are wrong: you spawn with an AR and a magnum. BR and DMR are map pickups. the DMR is really good in reach, i'd say overal better then the AR, magnum, and BR, but the gap is way, way, way, WAY smaller then in any prior halo game.

I think there's validity to your homogenity argument, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as in 3 and 4 where each gun literally just had a UNSC/covie/brute/forerunner version and one of each was just the besst version. in 5, the differences are slightly more pronounced, and there's far better balance between them.

Anyways, I need to sleep.
>>
>>334695434
*DMR is really good in 5, i'd say...
>>
>>334695434
>>334695513
one quick addendum: While it's true you can do well with just the AR/magnum combo, there's still plenty incentize to pick up otherr guns.

I think it strikes an excellent balance of still having your spawn weapons be good in their own right while giving you a reason to switch them, wheras in 2 the balance is so shit that both BR starts and SMG starts suck due to how badly it does it.
>>
>>334687595
I miss ODST mang.
Anyone know anything that captures the spirit of it on PC?
>>
>>334695434
>I had a different experience, I found the DMR was more focused at longer range use and less (not not useful, but less useful) useful at close/medium/close range then the BR was in 2 and 3, which gave the AR (which is way more accurate in reach then in 3 or ce), magnum (which was usable but not fantastic, certainly better then it was in 3 and not as sidearm-y as in 2), and other guns more wiggle room in usage.

But the point I'm trying to make is that this is simply statistically not true. The DMR has a faster TTK in Reach than the AR and Magnum, and at ranges where its competing with those weapons accuracy is irrelevant because you wont miss anyway. It always wins at those ranges and as such makes the AR/magnum obsolete.

Conversely the Halo 3 BR has a longer 4SK TTK than the Halo 3 AR and the plethora of other close range weapons like the plasma rifle, so they can sort of retain their usefulness, even if you're mostly using them to strip shields, because they do it more efficiently than the BR.
>>
>>334695434
>you spawn with an AR and Magnum
my bad, as I said it's been months. At any rate I don't remember ever being left wanting of a DMR, they must be pretty consistently accessible as a map spawn if I confused them with a default spawn weapon.

>each gun had a UNSC/Cov/Brute/Forerunner version and one of each was better than the others
This is a valid assessment but I'd rather have a bunch of redundant reskins but have all of the 'good versions' be functional and genuinely useful than have a bunch of 'diverse' weapons that are all pointless because by virtue of using them you are no longer using a DMR and are therefore gimping yourself. Better to have a bunch of reskins that are useless next to their counterparts than to have everything be useless next to the DMR.
>>
>>334696320
The DMR is less OP relative to other guns in 5 though then it/the br were in 4, reach, 3, and 2.
>>
>Halo CE has an AMAZING campaign, great levels great story, just all around fun. The multiplayer is kinda broken a bit with the spawning but there are some great maps

>Halo 2 has a really ambitious campaign, though obviously unfinished it brought so much more to the table and should be respected for that. The multiplayer is arguably the best in the series being objectively the most "hardcore" with all the fat trimmed off of the sandbox. Some GREAT FUCKING MAPS

>Halo 3 had a decent campaign, not much new to the table but some nice highlights, also obviously unfinished. The multiplayer is also arguably the best. while not being as "hardcore" as 2, many find 3 to be more fair with less focus on button combos and more focus on map control. God tier maps, God tier custom games with forge, great fucking experience for years.
>>
>>334696641
>Halo ODST has a different kind of campaign. Story-wise it isn't so great but the stealth gameplay and exploration aspect is pretty awesome. Firefight is a welcome addition to the halo gameplay.

>Halo Reach had a disappointing campaign for series veterans. The characters were bland and the story contradicted what was arguably the best story in the series (the fall of reach) the levels were mostly dull. The multiplayer was a HUGE downgrade from 2 and 3, the level design was subpar and the armor abilities broke the flow of the game. Had some cool ideas (all that armor, invasion) but failed as a halo game on almost every front

>Halo 4 had a decent campaign, more interesting then Reach it brings us back to familiar characters and new ideas. Levels were average not amazing but not too dull. The multiplayer was a shitshow, only BTB felt balanced at all, the maps still were pretty horrible. Big disappointment for fans and the apparent killer of the series (actually reach)

>Halo 5 had a disappointing campaign. Great premise, piss poor levels and unremarkable story. The multiplayer is the best it's been since 3, but it feels like a different kind of game
>>
>>334696641
>Halo CE has an AMAZING campaign, great levels great story, just all around fun

i'll never understand this unless it's just everybody is blinded by nostalgia; see >>334693456

>About ce's campaign placement: It just hasn't aged well. So much repeated hallways, reused level layouts later in the campaign, and the low amount of enemy and weapon varriety in the game make it a chore compared to every other halo game's campaign. even the open outdoor levels are sparse and empty: the fact it was made in 2001 shows.

>Also, the story is very barebones. I know a lot of people like that about it, I just don't.
>>
>>334696721
reach didn't actually break canon. It conflicting with tFoR, but the conflicts were almost all explained in the journal that came with the limited and legendary edition.
>>
>>334696826
It was a piss poor patch up job that still made TFoR worse
>>
>>334696903
the only explanation that I thought was inaduquate or was stretching it was the explanation for why in game the battle was 3 weeks vs a little over a day in the novel.

A better explanation then the one they gave for it would have been the crystal from first strike caused it.
>>
>>334687595
Apart from 5, which I haven't played, I completely agree. Especially in terms of soundtrack
>>
>>334697159
5's MP is really damn good, best since 2. campaign and story are very eh.
>>
People who liked reach or better yet, have it as their favorite halo game. Please. Explain it to me.

>Was it your first halo game?
>would you consider yourself a huge halo fan?
>how old were you when you played it?
>what did you find yourself playing the most (btb, slayer, customs)
>do you enjoy playing CoD?

I'm just trying to understand how someone could enjoy reach's MP after years of Halo 2 and Halo 3
>>
I now understand how the ">/v/ suddenly likes halo" people feel. I've always liked Halo, but now /v/ suddenly likes Reach and I want to kill myself. It's only a bit less shit than 4. Certainly nowhere up to 1, 2 ,3 and ODST's standard.
>>
>>334697614
/v/ has always had shit opinions
>people unironically liking the game that was the start of the end for the franchise
>>
>>334697614
/v/ has always been split on reach, as it should be, because reach is bad in a lot of ways but really good in others.
>>
>>334687791
Jesus Christ anon, i think i want to kiss you.
>>
Reach > ODST

Everything else we are agreed
>>
File: Screenshot_20160417-125140.jpg (481 KB, 1287x1882) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160417-125140.jpg
481 KB, 1287x1882
25 year old veteran here. I've been with the series since it's inception and have played the shit out of it, putting literally thousands of hours into most installments.
I have every achievement for every game, I've reached high ranks on multiple accounts, and while I haven't read every book, I'm working on it now.

The original game is simply fantastic, and while it planted the seeds that eventually really hurt the FPS genre, it proved that console FPS CAN work well. I'm a Doom veteran. Doom II is still probably favorite game and I fucking love Halo CE. The big, open levels that, while linear, offer a large assortment of ways to transgress through them as well as take down enemies are great. The enemy AI is very impressive and beats out most AI in shooters to this day. Then half way through the game when you think you've gotten a handle of everything, the game pulls out the rug under you and becomes a quasi survival horror experience before then turning into Doom for a level then a final act of levels of chaotic multi'faction all out war with a finale that will always be memerable.
On the multiplayer front, CE is chaotic but admittedly super fun. If you haven't taken the time to get 16 people together for some CE multiplayer on Xbox or PC, you're missing out.

Halo 2 is not a finished game. They had to cut some corners to get it out. What is lost in polish is mostly made up in the raw experience. This game is hard as balls. The legendary difficulty is so rewarding and really separates the Halo men from the boys. If the campaign was completed, it might be the best Halo campaign. As it stands, it rivals CE's.
On the multiplayer front, Halo 2 is as good as any console FPS gets. Hands down. No discussion. Period. The maps in this game are so varied and all excellent, I don't think I've even played a game with a better map roster

(Continued in next post)
>>
>>334697427
Halo 1 on my dads work PC.

Eh, I guess. I got the special edition box for Reach that had books

13?

I think death match.

I like playing each Cod, but only for a bit.

Reach had great creativity. Forge world is something that will never EVER come back and it hurts me
>>
>>334697614
To be honest reach always had their army of shills. The fanboys would eat up anything, the only reason 4 got the brunt of the backlash was because not muh bungie.

>>334697905
How is it good in any way? It fails on all fronts besides technical achievement.

>>334698030
See
>>334697427
>>
File: Screenshot_20160417-132312.jpg (444 KB, 1089x1833) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160417-132312.jpg
444 KB, 1089x1833
>>334698194

On to Halo 3:
the game was a step down in almost every rehard, even surprisingly in technical areas, such as FOV and shot registration, despite veing on more powerful hatdware.
Now, many won't admit that because this board is absolutely FLOODED with Halo 3 babbies, which are basically PS2 kiddies that made the Normie jump to 360 and played Halo 3 as their first prominent Halo. It may have not been the first Halo they played but it was likely the first they owned.
The campaign, to most vets, is a huge disappointment. Everything from enemy variety to difficulty, to campaign length, to maps at launch was a step down. The campaign is waaaaaay to fucking easy, even on legendary. It's also super short. The campaign has 2 notable levels, and Halo 3 babbies will be sure to constantly remind you of them. They'll always spout about how good "the covenant" is and "OMG MUH 2 SCARABS THAT WAS EPIC XD". And yeah, that level is great, but it's only one level. Tsavo Highway isn't as good as they think, neither is "Cortana" nearly as difficult as they remember, probably because they never beat Halo CE or 2 on legendary.
The multiplayer is fine. We got less maps at launch and they're not nearly as well built, mostly because the main multiplayer team had left bungie. However, forge allowed the community to make great maps on their own, so it's too bad the only notable Halo 3 map for forging is still locked behind a pay wall TO THIS DAY.
It's a fine game, but heavily overrated, and it's hyperfans are the cancer of the fanbase.

Now ODST however greatly fixed Halo 3's problems (its basically a standalone expansion). All maps were made available to all on disc, the campaign was much much better, albeit still a bit short, and we got a kickers survival mode in firefight which the devs have still not been able to replicate to this day. All the good multiplayer of 3 but with no pay walls and a better campaign plus firefight. What's not to love?

(To be continued in next thread)
>>
>>334698194
The reach apologist is back

I didn't misunderstand shit
>>
>>334687595
For the most part good. 2 and 3 were better than Reach, but mostly for the multiplayer.

343 has ruined halo. I want to like it, but it's just not good.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160417-133700.jpg (448 KB, 1104x1848) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160417-133700.jpg
448 KB, 1104x1848
>>334698298

I'm not going to waste much time talking about Halo Wars. It's a console RTS that surprisingly works but only as well as a console RTS can work. It's a fine little game but shouldn't have been on 360. I await the sequel on PC.

So as the Halo cycle moves on and on, more and more people are coming out of the woodwork that are saying "Reach is good". I agree. Nevertheless, this game was fucking hated here on /v/ and across the community at launch. This game got equal to if not more hate than Halo 4 has, to the extent that 2 weeks after launch, Halo Reaches population had dropped down below Halo 3's. Personally I've always thought Reach was misunderstood. It was never supposed to be an "improvement" to Halo 2 and 3, but rather a different game. If anythibg, it's more inspired by the first game, which I like. Health is back, elites are back, BR is gone, etc.
The campaign is overrated once again, but it does enough right to be considered a good campaign. The mission structure is a bit formulaic and repetitive, but the missions are varied enough and long enough to be passable. It also has a neat way of mixing the narrative with the in game combat for the ending.
Multiplayer was never meant to be a super competitive experience. It was supposed to be chaotic and wacky, and I loved that for a change. The aline weapons in this were great fun to use and actually felt foreign, as opposed to just colorful versions of human weapons.
343 industries ruined this with a title update intended to make the game more "balanced", which disnt work because the game was never supposed to be, so what we eneded up with was an abomination for several months. After a while they realized this and put some classic modes with vanilla rules back in.
Firefight is back, though less intense but at least it was customizable.
The meat of this game is forge world, shipping on disc this time. This part could have launched as a standalone game. It's that excellent

To be continued in next post
>>
>>334689797
Muh dick
I wanna be an angry Hungarian drill officer
>>
>>334698335
I'm not the guy, I'm just posting from the last thread because it was by far the most comprehensive review of the series anyone gave.
>>
>>334698232
>death match
>I play every CoD

Good info, After a few of these I may start to understand
>>
File: Screenshot_20160417-140703.jpg (464 KB, 1104x1833) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160417-140703.jpg
464 KB, 1104x1833
>>334698371

So who wants to talk about Halo 4?
(crickets)
OK I'll just monologue some more then.
With the license in new hands, a lot of pressure was on 343 industries to see how they would handle the next installment.
And yeah, the multiplayer is about as much of a bastardization as you've heard. It's a clear grab for the COD audiance and it just doesn't work. It's not unplayably and in short spells it can be fun with friends, but that experience quickly runs dry. It's a shame because the maps are mostly well designed, but the infinity sealer and objective gametypes render map control mostly useless.
But wait! It gets worse!
Replacing Firefight we have "Spartan Ops", and this is, without a doubt, the single worst thing in any Halo game to date. Everything from the AI intelligence to the repetitive nature to the reused campaign assets to the fact that you have unlimited lives so there's no challenge or point. I absolutely despise Spartan Ops and consider it the single biggest stain on the franchise to date. It's so bad that I can't even recommend you play it just to laugh at it. I don't want to hurt anyone by having them play it. Just stay away.
But of course there's also the campaign, and you know what?
It's fine.
Oh it's heavily flawed, make no mistake, but if we're going to sit here and give the Halo 3 campaign a pass then the Halo 4 campaign gets one as well. The levels are varied, the new promethean enemies mix up the game play nicely, even if they're ugly as fuck to look at, and while I don't give too many points to visials, this game is fucking gorgeous.
There's definitely too many instances of GET/DEFEND/DESTROY THREE _______ TO ADVANCE but all in all the campaign is servicable. It also gives us a better Death Star trench run than literally any star wars game ever has.

Is Halo 4 the worst main series Halo game? Probably. It's not my least favorite (we're about to get to that), but if you're just playing through the campaigns, it's not worth skipping.
>>
>>334698464
An eloquently written wall of text of shitty opinions is worth the same as a misspelled two sentence shitty opinion
>>
File: Screenshot_20160417-144447.jpg (494 KB, 1315x1850) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160417-144447.jpg
494 KB, 1315x1850
>>334698538

Playing the Halo 5 campaign, for me, was like asking that girl out that you've always dreamed of dating, then she says YES, then when you go to pick her up for the date, she reaches down and rips off your fucking ball sack.
I don't like this campaign. I'm still mad about it.
And no, it's not just bad because of the story. Fuck that noise, this game could have the best story in the franchise and the campaign would still be dog shit.
The levels are tiny. The AI is retarded, oh and that's just the enemy AI. Get this shit: the entire game is centered around a squad mechanic that DOESN'T FUCKING WORK! I'm not being cute about this, it literally doesn't work. You'll die, and your squad mates will run into fire and all die. Tell them to stay somewhere? They'll leave after 15 seconds. Tell them to pick something up, they may literally tell you no. And if you thought the promethean were annoying in 4, HAVE I GOT A TREAT FOR YOU! Both the scattershot and boltshot track now, so homing shots are constantly flying towards you even behind cover for 2/3rds of the game. And to top it off, the game keeps recycling this un-intuitive boss fight like 8 times. He's not fun to fight, he's not hard, he's just filler. Then you've got these missions where you literally don't fight any enemies. Go here, talk to this peeson, now go here, ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED! It's unbelievably lazy

I could go on and on but I only have 2000 characters.
Halo 5's multiplayer is great. Yes I said great. No, it doesn't redeem the horrible campaign for me, but bias aside this multiplayer is worthy of the Halo name. And while I still don't think sprint belongs here, at least they've made it work. The free content has been appreciated and we now have far more free content than any other halo game does on disc. Maps are hit and miss, but breakout is the shit, and warzone, while a bit crazy, can be a nice mix up

This game feels like it was developed by 2 different devs. Thanks for reading my shitty blog.
>>
>>334698298
Well this opinion is just shit, and by the way you spent less time arguing your point and more time insulting those who would disagree with you, I think you know it.

Myy first Halo was CE, and I played the shit out of it as well as 2, and Halo 3 was miles ahead of both in terms of multiplayer. Its campaign was admittedly bad, but trying to call its multiplayer anything less than stellar is just wrong. Its custom games alone were pretty much enough to make it a better game than the previous Halos.
Its maps were no worse than 2's despite how much everyones likes to wank over Lockout.
>>
5 has the best multiplayer.
2 has the best single player and multiplayer maps.

Hnnngh Terminal
>>
>>334698271
>How is it good in any way?

I'd argue it's campaign was overall better then 3's and ce's (which as has been said in this thread hasn't aged gracefully).

The main thing though was just the amount of content it had and how customizable it was. You had campaign, firefight (both of which with matchmakinng), normal matchmacking and customs, forge (which is way better then it was in 3 mechanically and with forge world), as well as theatere. firefight and normal MP both have the largest amount of customizble settings and gamemodes the series has seen. It blows 3 out of the water in terms of customs for this reason. In practice, combined with forge, many of the issues people have with reach and 4 as well can just be fixed by playing with the right settings or on forged maps. There are some core issues that can'e be fixed this way, yes, but a LOT can be.

It also brought back health, added assassinations, and did a bunch of other little but good stuff. The sandbox also had weapons that weren't just clones. The focus rifle wasn't just a covie skinned sniper rifle like the beam rifle was in 2 and 3, for example.

I'm not saying reach is the best halo game or it doesn't have problems, it does, but I also think it has a lot going for it and I don't think the good/bad ratio is that much worse then most of the halo games.

>>334697427
No
yes (played all the games, read all the novels and started to read them the day after I first played ce in 2002
Invasion
I mean CoD is alright but it's not halo
>>
>>334698876
Post your achievements/halo 3 rank.
If you're more impressive than him, then you can talk shit, otherwise sit down. I started with CE as well and 3 is a huge let down.
>>
>>334698592
>detailed summaries of each games strengths and weaknesses with accompanied platinum statuses for each game with hundreds of hours each

Or

>your disapproval with no accompanying anything

Yeah, I'll stick with his opinion.
>>
>>334699094
Campaign I wont argue even if I disagree i'm simply talking from a gameplay perspective

>all this content
Which didn't play as well as previous instalments, it's like saying brawl is in the same league as melee because of all of the characters

>assassinations
immersion ruining halt the game for a few seconds shitty additions

>weapons that wern't clones
Mostly shit

You can't polish shit
>>
>>334699134
>>334699237
>needing "credentials" to have an opinion

LITERALLY reddlt
>>
>>334687791
Holy fuck... did that just happen. A totally reasonable post on /v/
>>
>>334699430
>Which didn't play as well as previous installments, it's like saying brawl is in the same league as melee because of all of the characters

So then by that logic 3 should be just as bad as reach since it's slightly worse gameplay but just with more content then 2.

Halo 2 gameplay: 10/10.
Halo 2 content: 7/10

Halo 3 gameplay: 9/10
Halo 3 content: 8/10

Halo reach gameplay: 8/10
Halo reach content 9.5/10

is how i'd rate it. I think the trade off still results in a fantastic game.
>>
ODST was like half a game
>>
>>334687595
>odst
>reach
gee I wonder how late you came into this series
>>
>>334699134
I don't have the master chief collection. But I've gotten every achievement and completed every game on legendary. With the exception of every achievement on 4, and I haven't played 5.

Legendary with iron and some other less relevant skulls on where applicable.

>>334699237
You are listening to the opinion of someone who spent some time getting achievements, rather than playing the game and coming up with your own? Classic /v/.
>>
File: halomultiplayer.jpg (359 KB, 1376x1154) Image search: [Google]
halomultiplayer.jpg
359 KB, 1376x1154
>>334699702
3 doesn't have better gameplay than reach LOL
>>
>>334699740
see
>>334693736

>depends on how you judge games: I like to only judge what's there, not what not's there or how much the game cost.
>>
>>334688582
makes me sad
>>
>>334699843
No, I mean 3's gameplay is worse then 2's, just like how reach's is worse then 3's.

gameplay wise: 2 > 3 > reach
content wise: Reach > 3 > 2
>>
>>334699702
Nope, halo 3 got rid of button combinations and bullet magnetism
>>
>>334687595
Balance of SP and MP wise.

Reach>ODST>2>3>Custom>>>1>>>El dewrito>>>Halo Wars>>>>>Shit>>>>>>Halo 2 Vista>>>>>>Spartan Assault>>>>>>4>>>>>>5
>>
>>334700062
It did but 3 made more negative changes then good ones, and the maps were worse
>>
File: 1460830702745.jpg (11 KB, 363x106) Image search: [Google]
1460830702745.jpg
11 KB, 363x106
>>334694020
>>334697921
>>334699567
>>
>>334700062
button combos were a great thing. if I bxr you while you were holding a shotgun and you couldn't even pull the trigger you deserved to die. h3 should've kept this and taught it in the campaign
>>
>>334700176
Wrong and wrong

The only flaw halo 3 had was it had too much content. Cut out equipment and a few of the weapons from the sandbox and it would've been perfect.
>>
>>334700338
No, it sped up the ttk faster than the sandbox was meant for, reducing viable options for play.

Halo 2 is not a bad game, but 3 was an improvement in A lot of waysp
>>
>>334700353
>The only flaw halo 3 had was it had too much content

BR spread was inconsistent and the netcode was not always good enough to handle the BR not being hitscan.

Bam two flaws.
>>
>>334700467
>No, it sped up the ttk faster than the sandbox was meant for, reducing viable options for play.
just say it. what you really mean is you don't like the br. there were still thousands of ways around it and it actually balanced weapons more as I just stated in my first post.
not only that you could destroy dual smg users if they got too close or too far. it worked great
>>
>>334687595
I can never get much beyond the first flashback thing in ODST. The game is just so dull. I've tried 4 or 5 times and I just can't muster the interest.

To me it's 1>Reach>3=2>>>>>>>eating my own diarrhea>>>>>>>ODST
>>
>>334699501
You don't need any credentials to have an opinion of your own, but if you're going to challenge another opinion that does have credentials to back it up, then you better have some credentials of your own.

>>334699702
Halo 3 has superior content to 2.
Halo 3 launched with less maps and a smaller campaign
>>
>>334700627
Lead your shots, netcode was not the best, point conceded on that front.

>>334700639
I love the BR, it's the best weapon in H2, but the nerf was justified.
>>
>>334687595
>Reach that high
Explain.
>>
>>334700849
>I love the BR, it's the best weapon in H2, but the nerf was justified.
theres always going to be a "best weapon" I every game. the smgs would still work if you weren't stupid enough to get close not only that you literally spawn with them, why should they tear shit up?
>>
>>334700353
>Halo 3
>content

Is this a joke?
>smaller campaign than halo 1 and 2
>less maps at launch than halo 1 and 2
>less total maps than halo 2
>less enemy variety than halo 2

And don't bother arguing forge, because sandbox is locked behind a DLC that costs money to this day.
>>
>>334700849
>Lead your shots

This does not magically make the BR's spread not random and it is quite noticeable at high levels of play. It is the onyl straight mechanical downgrade from halo 2 (depending on how you feel about button combos)

If the BR's spread was static I would have no issue but it isn't so I do.
>>
>>334701062
Combine this with Halo 3's inferior FOV to 2 and the BR just becomes an RNG machine in 3.
>>
Halo 5 was okay, I guess.

>you will never destroy kiki wolfkill's sacred ring.
>>
>>334700993
Forge. No argument required.

>>334700968
I'm not shitting on the game, its a great game

But H2 fanboys love to talk about how 3 is objectively worse when it really improved the game in a lot of ways
>>
>>334701062
>mechanical downgrade
>lower gravity/more floaty jumping
>slower movement speed
>2 hit retarded meleeing
>>
>>334687595

Let me guess, you've never played halo 5, have you?
>>
>>334701216
>I'm not shitting on the game, its a great gameBut H2 fanboys love to talk about how 3 is objectively worse when it really improved the game in a lot of ways
the gfx were the only improvement. it was literally worse than 2 in almost every way
>easier ranking system
>not even comparable 4v4 maps
>slower jumping
>slower movement
>only 2 hits to beat down
>holding 2 grenades whn h1 and h2 let you hold 4 which prevented less camping
>>
>>334701345
>unironically liking 5
i know Xbros are desperate in this generation, but THIS much
>>
>>334701216
>Forge. No argument required.

Reach's forge and gametype settings shit all over 3's though, so if that's all that matterrs then reach is best

can't we all just agree that ever halo game has good and bad and they are all great to fantastic games

>>334701506
>not liking 5's mp
>>
>>334701506
5 is sadly better than reach but not bettr than 3
>>
>people in this thread trying to defend halo 5
>their only argument is 'lol i bet u dident even play it kid'
jej
5 is shit
343i are shit
being better than the last shit game in the series does not make it not shit
there has not been a good halo game since ODST and there never will be another good halo game
>>
>>334701506

Literally everyone who shits on halo 5 are just people who haven't played it.
>>
>>334701562
>No splitscreen
>Customs and forge arrived late
>Community's mostly gone and just playng because of the game drought on xbone

H5 MP only seems good because it's all you have.
>>
Bungiefag/10
>>
>>334701645

The MP is the greatest it's been in years though, anon.
>>
>>334687595
Fair rankings coming thorugh:

>Campaign (Gameplay)
ODST> 3 > 5 > Reach > 2 > CE > 4

>Campaign (Plot)
2 > ODST > 4 > CE > > Reach > 3 > 5

>Multiplayer
3 > 5 > 2 > 4 > Reach > CE

>Soundtrack
ODST > 2 > 3 > CE > 5 > Reach > 4
>>
>>334701718
yeah. and it's been 8 years since halo was relevant so, that's not hard
>>
>>334701645
Well, how can you say it's garbage if youve never experienced it?

You're just jumping on a bandwagon that started because of the microtransactions and a dissapointing campaign.

Everything else halo 5 has is god-tier
>>
>>334701837
>You're just jumping on a bandwagon that started because of the microtransactions and a dissapointing campaign.
microtransactions is the least of its problems LOL
>>
>>334701698
>>
>>334701837
>dissapointing campaign
Only plotwise, the gameplay and level design is pretty good imo.
>>
daily reminder if you think reach/4/5 are good you are the cancer killing video games :^)
>>
>>334701930
wow literally stfu scrub>>334701837
>>334701718
>>334701692
>>334701562
>>
File: 1453948350914.jpg (199 KB, 572x515) Image search: [Google]
1453948350914.jpg
199 KB, 572x515
>>334701816

Boy, you sure proved my opinion wrong then.

Enjoy hanging around a thread of a product you don't like.
>>
>>334701920
Elaborate then.

Stating opinions as if they were fact don't prove your point.
>>
>>334701562
Reaches forge was good, but with the exception of forge world its maps were utter shit.

And its custom game settings were lacking most of the time. Sure it added some gimmicks like the hill-attached-to-vehicle but, half of the best Halo 3 maps couldn't even be recreated because the settings wouldn't allow it.
Also nobody really made good Halo reach custom games. Puzzle maps were infinitely worse and less common, nothing like the indiana jones map was available. And being restricted to forge world sucked since all the maps ended up looking similar. Not shape wise, but building materials.
>>
>343i games are shit tier

Meme'd. As a late-coming Halo player I prefer those.
>>
Well the thread actually having discussion and not just shitposts was nice while it lasted.

>>334701698
All of what you said are valid complaints, but pretty much everything else about 5's mp is outstanding.

>>334701645
Actually people brought up plenty of other arguments, such as how it has good weapon balance, how it has good map design, how it has as good focus on skillgaps; etc.

Maybe you need to get your reading comprehensions skills checked.

>>334701756
pretty good, though i'd put 2 much higher in the campaign gameplay, and at least add a category for customs. My lists are in >>334693456
>>
>>334701756
I'm taking 5 out of the equation because I haven't played it, but otherwise I can get behind this list.

I'd hesitate to put 2's campaign gameplay so low, and would put 4's multiplayer dead last but other than that fairly solid.
>>
>>334701978
I have yet to hear any arguments why H5 is bad other than

>HURR DURR IT'S XBOX ONE GAYM AND IS BAD HUHUH
>>
>>334702005
h5 is literally a tacticool shooter with shitty arena maps. its not even halo anymore and hasn't' been in years!
>>
>>334702249
What IS halo then? Also, what do you mean by tacticool shooter?

Halo 5 is the most fun I've ever had on any halo game ever and it's sad to see people missing out just because they fall for the /v/ memes.
>>
Games where I don't play as Master Chief are the best
>>
>>334702056
>Also nobody really made good Halo reach custom games.

Maybe you just didn't find them then. As somebody who played a substantial amount of customs since they were a thing in 2:

reach > 2 > 3 > 4 in terms of customs

2 managed to be good because the lack of forge forrced creativity, modded lobbies were a thing, and xbox live back in the day was more open to you just hopping in people's games. Forge in 3 offered a lot but it was clunky and it didn't force creativity the same way.

reach's forge and custom settings bridged the gap and fostered a ton of great shit, as well as having a fully online file sharing system with a robust search feature.

4 was ahead of 3 but way behind reach in terms of modulaity, but the file browser system and file quanity limits were even worse then 3.

5 has the potential to surpass even reach; it's forge is near professional dev tool level, but we still don't have all the gametypes we need or a good file browser to make full use of it. H2A's was similar and never got what it needed to foster, though it's forge was only a step up from reach's, not a full 2-3 miles ahead like 5's is.
>>
>>334694020
>>334697921
>>334699567
Go back to ledit, you underage faggots.
>>
>>334702489
Le >You're doing god's work
Le >/r/unexpectedjihad
>>
>>334701216
Forge created autistic gametypes like Mario kart and fat man that dumbed down the community. If halo 3 were released today, it would be chuck filled of pony references in forge
>>
>>334693456

>5
>better maps than ANY other game

Jesus christ
>>
>>334687595
nice b8 faggot.
3 > 1 > 2 > 5 > 4 > ODST > Reach
>>
>>334702074
Damn, i missed your post, updating my opinion with your categories.>>334701756

>Story/Writing:
2 > ODST > 4 > CE > > Reach > 3 > 5

>Campaign missions
ODST> 3 > 5 > Reach > 2 > CE > 4

>Atmosphere
ODST > Reach > CE > 2 = 3 = 4 = 5

>Music
ODST > 2 > 3 > CE > 5 > Reach > 4

>Default MP (MM settings)
3 > 5 > 2 > 4 > Reach > CE

>MP maps (BTB)
3 > 2 > Reach > 4 > 5 > CE

>MP maps (Arena)
5 > 2 > 3 > CE > 4 > Reach

>Amount of content/Modularity
Reach > 5(right now) > 3 > 4 > 2 > CE

>Weapon balance
5 > 4 > 3 > Reach > 2 > CE
>>
>>334702647
>Mario kart and fat man that dumbed down the community
You're either underage or are mad that you never had anyone to play those game modes with.
>>
>>334702647
>dumbed down the community.
It's called having fun.

Also, if you want competitive, halo 5 is the sweatiest halo.
>>
File: 1457302828292.jpg (108 KB, 687x738) Image search: [Google]
1457302828292.jpg
108 KB, 687x738
>>334697427

No. CE at launch.

Yes.

Invasion/Customs/Action Sack

No. Last one I enjoyed was 4.
>>
File: 1449456139934.jpg (268 KB, 846x774) Image search: [Google]
1449456139934.jpg
268 KB, 846x774
Anyone else enjoying warzone firefight?

I've found its surprisingly addictive.
>>
>>334702698
I keep hearing that other people dislike them but I don't get why.

There's not a lot of them, and they are almost all UNSC theme'd, but the layouts feel like ce/2 maps and they have a ton of unobvious pathways through the maps that benefit skilled playes who know how to use the spartan abilities and they have good usage of vertacality
>>
>>334702647
It also created Drive or Die, Halo on Halo, hundreds of super clever puzzle maps, Jenga and countless over very good ones.
>>
>>334701436
>>easier ranking system
Easier to boost maybe. My God the boosting in 3 was abysmal.
>>not even comparable 4v4 maps
Halo 2 by overwhelming consensus has the best maps in the franchise.
>>slower jumping
What's the issue?
>>slower movement
Halo 2 is a faster game than 3
>>only 2 hits to beat down
That's bad. So many confrontations in halo 3 result in both players beating each other to death in a tie.
>>holding 2 grenades whn h1 and h2 let you hold 4 which prevented less camping
You can hold up to 8 grenades in 3, but I'll conceded to 6 since firebombs are rare.
>>
>>334698464
His reviews were shit from beginning to end.
>>
File: 1437759273697.jpg (46 KB, 527x398) Image search: [Google]
1437759273697.jpg
46 KB, 527x398
-ODST is max comfy(needs a PC release badly)
-Reach is max feels and fun guns
-2 is multiplayer goodness
-CE is young nostalgia
-3 is everything done right
-5 haven't played
-4 is maximum shit

Microsoft should throw together a Halo: Collection for the PC. $79 for all games, including 5.
>>
>>334701637
5 is on par with 3 for me.
Can't touch 2
>>
>>334702867

All look the same, all play the same, all ridiculously tight, shitty MLG shit made by MLG players.

Halo 5 is a "competitive" shit pile
>>
>>334702865
I enjoyed the shit out of Firefight in ODST. Particularly that map on something-reserve. Forget the name.

But in Reach it was the most boring thing imaginable. Is it any better in 5?
>>
>>334702396
we're not missing out. its dead and there are better fps to play. go have fun with h5 tho since you joined late, it's nothing like 1-3
halo 1-3 was more so an arena f
>>
>>334697427
Halo:CE

Yes

Around 6 yrs old

>what did you find yourself playing the most
(btb, slayer, customs)
On CE? just campaign.

Only ever played after blops 1. Enjoy blops 1 and 2. Hate the rest of new ones.
>>
>>334703001
Anon I am the first one to shit on "competitive" halo and obnoxious KSI/MLGfags but halo 5 does it right.

>>334703064
>Around 6 yrs old
That better be a typo anon.
>>
>>334702865
I think it's too repetitive and easy. They really need an endless mode.
>>
>>334702396
Halo is oldschool
Movement is slowish and floaty. Sprint is unecessary and it makes you unable to shoot while the weapon is down for sprint mode. It also allows fags to run away from engagements
Halo is a local experience you expand with online capabilities
Halo is hipfire with HUD reticle while jumping, strafing and running at the same speed. Aiming down the sights, slows down the gunfight
Halo is map control with limited pickable powerups and power weapons

Take this into consideration and you see why since Reach it has stopped being Halo to emulate CoD and the rest. They added features that weren't necessary at all to pander to kiddies who wanted to feel tacticool and muh realism
>>
>>334703006

I felt the same way towards firefight in ODST and Reach. It's not a arcade-ish as ODST but it's found a fun mix between the warzone system and a firefight mode.

So not ODST-tier, but much better than reach.

Hopefully they expand more into it when its finally released.
>>
>>334702865
It's actually pretty fun but it's Firefight only in name though. These are some imporvements i think it needs before the final release:
>Limited lives instead of time
>More rounds
>Don't spawn enemies inside garage during defense
>Fair RP rewards depending on round progress
>>
File: cs.jpg (43 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
cs.jpg
43 KB, 620x349
sprint has gat to go. most popular fps out right now doesn't even have it. why the fuck does halo?
>>
>>334698271
>The fanboys would eat up anything, the only reason 4 got the brunt of the backlash was because not muh bungie.
Yup this, Reach was the worst Halo game ever made, and to make it worse it was made by Bungie. That's what really hurts.
>>
>>334703176

My thoughts exactly, they certainly need the lives mechanic. I do like the idea of moving around the map and holding out at structures along the way.
>>
>>334703135
Surprised that not everyone in /v/ is a 30 year old man child?

I started playing halo and other games when I was young. Halo reach came out when i was 12.
>>
>>334703135
He would be 21ish now if he played it when he was six. Its been out 15 years anon.
>>
>>334687595
>5 is better than 4
Both are fucking awful but at least I could stomach finishing 4. I'll agree multiplayer is at least slightly better in 5.
>>
>>334703302
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
good for you?
>>
R-r-reach was terrible!

>Had a fuck ton of content
>Fuck ton of variety in game modes
>Fuck ton of variety in playlists
>The best armour customization in any Halo title
>Forge World
>Amazing Customs
>Fucking Invasion

Obviously, I know the many problems with the game such as bloom, motion blur, armour abilities etc but it still puts both Halo 4 and 5 to shame by the sheer amount of options and content.

>>334703135

Perhaps Halo 5 "might do it right" if the competitive shit wasn't about 75% of the focus of Halo 5. Halo has never been this competitive for over 10 years and massive portions of the community have been neglected because they spent pretty much all of their resources on this bullshit multiplayer that only appeals to the minority crowd.

With the fluid gameplay changes Halo 5 could have been a positive entry if it actually had game modes, playlists and variety like previous titles. There is Arena, Big Team Arena (In no way is this shit BTB) and REQzone. Game is shit and deserves to be shit on. Infection 6 months after release? No File Browser? No medal viewer after games?

Anyone defending Halo 5 needs to give their head a wobble. Gameplay wise, it's better than 4 but content wise and general map design even the shit heap that was 4 is better than what we got with 5.
>>
>>334702867
They are pretty damn amazing from an Arena/competitive perspective, the problem is they look boring as fuck, there's no charm in them. 5 just doesn't have an instant and memorable classic like Blood Gulch (CE), Zanzibar (2), Sandtrap (3) or Exile (4).
>>
>>334703041

You're just saying that. Elaborate. Obviously nothing like the original, but how is that a bad thing?

Also, halo 5 is super fucking competitive.
>>
>>334701645
>there has not been a good halo game since ODST and there never will be another good halo game
5 is good
>>
>>334699094
>campaign was overall better then 3's and ce's
Joke post of the day

>amount of content
Most of the game's content was shit

>brought back health, added assassinations, and did a bunch of other little but good stuff
Health was broken and didn't in any way act like the CE health system. Assassinations were a stupid animation gimmick, and most of the weapons were shit.
>>
>>334703493
>Also, halo 5 is super fucking competitive.
lol it's literally the slowest halo yet
>>
>>334697427
Halo CE
Yes
All
Nope
>>
>>334703160
Fair enough. i can see why you wouldn't like the game since its only related to halo CE by name.

Still, I feel like the fact that most people think it is bad is because it's so different, not because it's actually terrible
>>
File: Halo 5 is just as shit as 4.jpg (181 KB, 1586x775) Image search: [Google]
Halo 5 is just as shit as 4.jpg
181 KB, 1586x775
>>334703507

>Halo 5
>Good

It's just as bad as Halo 4 you fucking shit eater. Why so many fucking Halo 5 defenders recently?
>>
>>334701184
I'd very much like to hate fuck her for all the shit she has done to ruin the series.
>>
>>334703570
Slow doesn't not competitive...

Hell it generally means it involves strategy more than twitch shooting so it should really be more competitive.
>>
File: kek.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
>>334703570
>lol it's literally the slowest halo yet
>>
>>334703160
>Aiming down the sights, slows down the gunfight

"ADS" in 5 acts exactly like zoom did in prior halos, just on more guns (such as autos, which get a much needed accuracy boost), and wiithout the black overlay.

It doesn't slow down your movement speed and guns are even more accurate in hipfire then they were in prior games: all precision guns, even the carbne, always hit dead center, with no bloom; zooming in just zooms in. For autos, they are more accurate then they have ever been even in hip, and zoomed in they get a further accuracy bonus.

>Halo is map control with limited pickable powerups and power weapons
That's what halo 5 is anon; unless you are talking about warzone which is a special seperate bullshit mode for shits and giggles.

>>334703302
>>334703349
The question was asking how old you were when you first played reach, not how old you were when you played ce, unless I misunderstood.

>>334703390
I totally agree that 5 is lacking in content (and that reach's plethora of it alone makes it a great game), but what's there with 5 is still really good and there's enough for it to not get stale.

>>334703410
and I agree with that complaint, but I was only rating layouts.
>>
>>334703371
You were the one criticizing me for my age, retard

What is your point?
>>
>>334697427
>>Was it your first halo game?
halo 1 in 2003
not anymore :(
like 16
h2 mlg lockout all day
I didn't even buy cod4 because I could see how casual it was
>>
>>334703349
I didn't play it on release because poor.

I'm 18 now
>>
>>334703729
not him
reach is shit and so are you. you'll never know what it feels like to git gud at a halo game because the series is dead. it hasn't been halo since h3
>>
>>334703570
You must be trolling
>>
File: Marty_portrait-1024x576.jpg (43 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
Marty_portrait-1024x576.jpg
43 KB, 630x354
How come between 53 people who have posted to the thread, we can't come to a consensus on even a few broad points?

Obviously, universal agreement is impossible, but most other series's there's at least a rough general agreement on a few things.

Can we all at least agree that marty is based as fuck?
>>
>>334703570
I think you mean Reach.
>>
>>334701698
I hate having to defend Halo 5 because I hate the campaign, but it's clear you're just jumping on the anti 343 bandwagon
>No splitscreen
Admittedly a huge letdown, but at least the online is relatively lag free. Night and day better than previous Halo games. And at least campaign contributions OP is actually playable now.
>Customs and forge arrived late
This is a grasping at straws complaint. Halo 5 has far more free content than any other installment does on disc. It's not even close. New players can't even play Halo 3 because half the Playlist are behind DLC paywalls. The content being "late" isn't a problem because the community is still alive and well
>Community's mostly gone
This is simply objectively false. Halo 5's community is vibrant. The things we are getting from the forge community especially are light years ahead of anything we got back in Halo 3.
>H5 MP only seems good because it's all you have.
Actually I prefer to hold custom sessions on MCC, but 5's multiplayer is easily Wirth the time I put into it.
>>
>>334703729
1v1 you pussy
>>
>>334703903
>giant maps and fast ttks
>fast
literally no map movement it's like gears now
>>
>>334703842
1v1 you pussy
>>
>>334703825
Be less poor.

>>334703963
Marty is indeed based.

And I think people generally agree to certain rankings when it comes to certain topics like campaign, multiplayer, custom games or whatever. They just value them differently so the games overall rankings are all over the place.
>>
>>334704057
This has to be a Reach faggot.
>>
>>334704057
>no map movement

Seriously?

Look up some halo 5 jump ups and hidden spots
>>
>>334704009

>This is simply objectively false. Halo 5's community is vibrant.
Meanwhile it manages fewer players than Battlefront (which only has around 20-25k)

The majority of "free content" (they obviously haven't made a gorillion from packs at all) has been absolute trash and reskinned content. We've had a few maps but thats about it. Mark IV is probably the only half decent armour they've put out so far.
>>
>>334704127
please don't confuse us with that retard
>>
>>334687595
Just switch Halo 2 with Reach and we are ok, familia.
>>
Reach was the best halo
>>
>>334702461
Great opinions here.

5 can blossom if 343 let's it.
Infection coming soon

>>334702804
>>334702853
Halo 3 babbies detected. I've been playing the series far longer than you. Most of the popular forged gametypes on sandbox that all used the same boring brown and dusty palate were autism, enjoyed mostly by kids who were in middle school or younger.
Fat man was cancer.
Jenga was cancer.

Just because you played them as a little kid doesn't make them good.
I played sonic adventure when I was 12. It's a shit game. I know that now.
>>
>>334703635
>Halo 5
>as bad as 4
Wait for it, he'll point to 3 as the pinnacle of the series.
>>
>>334704386
>Assuming

Halo 5 mp is better than 3. I'm just saying that customs is not dumbing down anything.
>>
Halo 3 and ODST are the two best. It's a shame the controls were so different and they're ignored for it now. The new scheme was great and it was the last hurrah for dual weilding.

2 was revolutionary for the multiplayer but the single player was meh. 1 was fantastic and mind blowing at the time and is still the best for LAN parties.

They were all at least 9/10s until Reach.
>>334693149

I agree with you, Reach was awful. Multiplayer was good though, and I liked the return to Halo 1's formula.
>>
File: 458789904.jpg (582 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
458789904.jpg
582 KB, 1024x819
Hey guys, nice halo thread.

Who is excited for halo nightfa- oh.
>>
>>334704009
>you're just jumping on the anti 343 bandwagon
Not necessarily the case. You can see how much 343 has fucked up gameplaywise.
It's not absolutely their fault, because back in 2007, shooters weren't as mainstream and we had limited options with plenty variety. CoD4 was different from H3, which was different to Crysis and Bioshock, etc. Nowadays we're so saturated that devs want to play it safe and every fucking game plays and looks more or less the same so no kid can ever feel excluded from playing any of them.
>>
>>334704218
>the free content is bad
Anon

>>334704540
Fair enough
>>
>>334704592

Goddamn I would ruin Kiki's butt.
>>
>>334704386
>5 can blossom if 343 let's it.
Fewest sales in the entire franchise, <20k players, focussed mostly on the MLG community which has been the minority since 3. Sure

>Infection coming soon
6 month wait for a basic gametype is going to save an already dead game? The best it will do is gain peoples interest for a week or two. It's more than likely going to be broken in many places. 343 can't code for shit, e.g Fiesta.

>>334704515
I don't have a favourite game, the majority of them have their pros and cons. I probably have more playtime in a single game than you have the entire franchise.
>>
>>334704592
I watched it on a bus trip. It made me Nightfall Asleep hard.

Like wow that's a bad movie, Halo universe or not. Also fucking pretentious and bland as any Halo story.
>Muh honor
>Muh marines
>Muh stoic everything
>Muh nothing fucking happens cuz budget reasons not even character developments
>>
>>334704616

>Reskinned vehicles
>Reskinned armour
>Weapon skins
>meme tier assassinations
>"Remixed" maps

>good

The only positives thus far have been Grifball and the Warzone maps and the ball games should have been here 6 months ago.
>>
HUT THE TRUHH
>>
I feel like it was a halo for fans of the original who grew up with it.
>>
>>334704749
>6 month wait for a basic gametype

Halo 5 was built from the ground-up. 343i isn't lazy, it takes time to develop all that shit
>>
1-3 were the only true halo games
reach 4 and 5 are all garb. however 5 is not a terrible game it just doesn't feel like halo and that's why a lot of halo fans aren't even playing it unless they're getting paid
more people still liked 3
personally h2 was my fav
>>
>>334704386
>Fat man was cancer.
>Jenga was cancer.
Jesus, i kinda agree about 3's customs being overrated, but you're killing me with those two points.

>>334704592
Is it normal that i find Kiki atractive and ugly at the same time? Also who's the qt grill at Locke's right?
>>
>>334704940

Almost like Reach was built from the ground up on an entirely new engine. 343 are struggling because they can't piggyback off of Bungies assets and code anymore. This is why Halo 5 has no content and why it is taking them so long to come out with basic shit.
>>
>>334704790
I thought seeing lekgolo form stuff that wasn't hunters was neat but yeah, it's pretty eh.

the second story extra shorts are really cool though, but not a lot of people even know they exist.
>>
>>334704749
>Fewest sales in the entire franchise
I love this meme. If you honestly believe it hasn't outsold CE, 2, Wars, Anniversary, and the MCC, you haven't been paying attention.
Furthermore it doesn't have the casual base that went to cod in 2007. Those people never were halo fans to start. They all had PS2s.
>6 month wait for a basic gametype is going to save an already dead in?
"If I say it's dead enough, IT WILL BE TRUE!"
It's not working anon.

It does beg the question though, if you're this negative about the state of the series, why post here at all?
Does finding out you're in the minority flare up your ad? That's life, friend.
>>
>>334704790
It was fucking bad. Like a fan rendition of Dark Planet with shitty effects, no action, no cool protagonist and bland characters so dull as to not offend anyone other than people looking for a good film.

Thanks Bonnie Ross and Karen Traviss for your fucking "Halo is about deep moral dilemmas" interpretation of the franchise. Watch the live action trailers, emulate that style into a 1.5 hour film and you'll make everyone happy. But no, people who didn't like Halo are in charge of it.
>>
>>334704701
>>334704980

She's kind of ugly. But i agree with anon, I would BXR her ass.
>>
>>334704846
WE have more content than 3 does. And it's all coming free.
Period.

Arguing semantics with buzzwords is pointless.
>>
File: halo5ranks.png (2 MB, 1120x2000) Image search: [Google]
halo5ranks.png
2 MB, 1120x2000
even if h5 had a "classic" ranked playlist it would still be shit. it the new ranking system is terrible at balancing teams when h matches people entirely out of your division. that's like a 10 level difference and that would've been fuckd up to see in h2 or 3
>>
Really late, but did anyone else really enjoy Reach's main menu as much as I did?
http://halomeDOTnu/reach
>>
>>334705295
>even if h5 had a "classic" ranked playlist it would still be shit. it the new ranking system is terrible at balancing teams when h matches people entirely out of your division.

Huh, the ranking system works pretty perfectly for me. In fact, that's one of the areas where most people agree it's well done. Wierd...
>>
I'll admit I don't play Halo, but it really seems like the people that don't like 343-halo are going out of their way to try to convert everyone else to their opinions.
Some serious "stop liking what I don't like" in this thread.
>>
File: rrrrr.jpg (53 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
rrrrr.jpg
53 KB, 600x300
>>334705413
the only thing its better at is reseting the ranks at the beginning of each month. but then that also causes a lot more unbalanced matches. 1-50 was still better in every way and that's the way its been since halo came to xbl. plus h5 only has like 30 levels meaning theres a bigger skill difference within each level
>>
>>334705154

If I don't suck 343s dick I shouldn't post here? Nice consensus

>>334705249
Sorry, I've done the math and Halo 3 still has more game modes.
>>
File: hot wheels_01.webm (2 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
hot wheels_01.webm
2 MB, 720x404
Forge maps are SOOOO fucking good right now, if 343 doesn't fuck up with Infection and releases file browser ASAP, 5 will have the best multiplayer in the series period.
>>
>>334705564
>Halo 2 ranking system
Anon, that system was utter shit. You got locked into a spot and couldn't progress
>>
>All these underage fags defending ODST, 4, and 5

Those are objectively the worst Halo games. ODST was literally $60 DLC and 4 and 5 are nothing but cancerous cashgrabs by 343.
>>
>>334705692
>You got locked into a spot and couldn't progress
that was 3. you could win 20 games and not go up from a 49 to 50, I've seen it. never had a problem with h2
>>
>get halo 5 at launch
>absolutely disgusted by the campaign
>try the multiplayer
>It's surprisingly really good, but seriously lacks content
>stick with the game for a week then get bored
>months later, start seeing halo 5 threads on /v/
>turn on the game yesterday out of curiosity
>free content through the roof
>all these community created maps
>big team
>Forge is so much better than any other game it's not even funny
>Breakout now has tons of maps and stays fresh
>those hilarious and we'll designed community Griff ball maps
>firefight is here
>multi team
>infection coming
>file browser coming

Holy shit what happened? I mean yeah, I'm pissed about what we got at launch, but this is more free stuff than I'd ever thought we'd get and they have more planned every month through the spring and summer.
Feels good to be back.
>>
>>334705892
Not him but everyone I know had issues with 2's ranking. 3's was rampant with boosting.
Reach's and 4's were jokes.

The best ranking system was CE on PC, because there was none.
>>
>>334706261
>The best ranking system was CE on PC, because there was none.
>pub maches
>fun
literally no. I get bored dropping 40 kills every match in classic halo on mcc
>>
>>334706073
Reach and 4 was so bad, it's hard to give 5 a chance

But I did, and it's fun
>>
Who the fuck wants to play a game where you all start with the same 2 weapons in EVERY match.

Where's the customization?
>Muh armor
Don't even go there.
>>
>>334706073
I've been playing H5 pretty much non-stop since release and while i was dissapointed by the lack of content on launch, i must say it's been pretty satisfying seeing the game get better and better after each update.
I really hope 343 takes some notes for H6, if it has all this content on launch, it will GOTY period.
>>
>>334706414
No, I will take this method every time as opposed to them throwing too much in and the game not fucking working.
>>
>>334694051
Cuck
>>
>>334706073
>big team
>community maps
>griffball
>multi team
I bought this game for $60 and none of this shit was in the game.

>firefight
Confirmed for shitposting. Firefight wasn't even in 4
>>
>>334687595
Apart from Reach was shit.
The campaign's story was shit and things like skulls were removed.
The multiplayer scrapped true skill and used cod's longer you play higher rank you are.
Sprint and loadouts killed any future hope for the game.
Invasion was good.
The maps because very colourless.
Custom games was dead as fuck.
>>
>>334705606
What do you use to make gifs this good?
>>
>>334706407
>Where's the customization?
If you mean class/weapon customization then go the fuck back to CoD.

>>334706485
I want to believe 5 lacked content because it was a new gen/engine and 343 wanted to play it safe and don't have a TMCC scenario again, but there's no excuse to have H6 lacking content again.
They already nailed the gameplay, now 343 should focus on delivering content on launch.
>>
>>334706714
I agreed with you until

>custom games are dead as fuck
That's simply false.
Reach still has a custom community.
While the game was the newest entry, it had the best custom community of any game in the series.
>>
>>334706745
I dunno, someone posted it on Halo General and i just saved it.
>>
>>334687791
I haven't seen a more well-written and objective post on /v/ for a long time. I don't actually know how to respond without emotion.
>>
>>334706832

>I want to believe 5 lacked content because it was a new gen/engine and 343 wanted to play it safe and don't have a TMCC scenario again, but there's no excuse to have H6 lacking content again.

Also all signs point to a MASSIVE restructuring of the campaign from almost scratch about a year before launch.
>>
i really enjoyed the campaign in reach
>tfw last stand as you are left all alone on reach
>>
>>334707003

Yeah I agree. Its such a shame
>>
>>334707068
I enjoyed the reach campaign the first time I played it, probably because of how hyped I was for it, but with subsequent playthroughts I've liked it a lot less.

The mission structure is incredibly repetitive and formulaic. Long Night of Solace is a welcome exception.
>>
>>334687595
Yep, agree with this, and I played Halo 3 first, then ODST, 1, 2, 4
>>
>>334707003
>Also all signs point to a MASSIVE restructuring of the campaign from almost scratch about a year before launch.

Yeah what the fuck happened?
Was it the Republic commando guy coming in and fucking everything up with his squad mechanics?
>>
File: 1458609405740.jpg (36 KB, 446x480) Image search: [Google]
1458609405740.jpg
36 KB, 446x480
>>334687595
>Reach is da best game evaaaa

This fucking meme needs to die.

THE ENTIRE. GAME. WAS BLURRY.

LITERAL MOTION BLUR FUCKING EVERYWHERE.

HALO CE LOOKED BETTER THAN THAT GARBAGE.

FUCK OFF LOADOUTS
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.