[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discussion on the future of gaming, and why there won't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 950x534
With the failure of quantum break not being a "stellar" exclusive that makes critics eyeballs pop out of their sockets, and it instead being a pretty "meh" game and scoring a 7.7 on metacritic, I'd thought we'd look at the future of gaming.

There is a console crisis currently. Developers have been listening to their fanbase far too much and effectively destroyed their whole industry.

There's been a trend recently of developers adding features to their respective consoles, which fans have greatly urged them to do, that make them more like PC. Remember how "mods" on console was such a big thing? Remember how kb+m on console was just a big thing. I'm talking about these tweaks.

Now, these changes are good for their consumer satisfaction (Daddy Microsoft/sonny I want cool lights on my toy like that kid down the lane!) they are ultimately bad for the company, because, as any economist knows, if you're going to sell a product, you have to distinguish it. These changes effectively make the product less distinguished from a superior product, and people will question why their buying an inferior product in the first place.

But, Sony and Microsoft can't help it, here's is where companies are trapped; Innovation isn't profitable. Look at Nintendo: they tried to innovate in numerous products (virtual boy, the 3D component for the 3ds, the Wii u, etc.) but only ended up with 1 real successful product that ended up fading into irrelevance years later.

Sony and Microsoft ask themselves, "how do we make sure no one notices we're literally the same and they could get a better performing product for much cheaper?"

They come up with a brilliant solution: Exclusives.

1/2
>>
>>334673935
2/2
"Why make your product ACTUALLY different from the competition when you can just artificially restrict good experiences to your product?"

This idea worked well for a loooong time. In fact, it was put in place before this crisis even started, at the conception of consoles.

But the facade is fading. They've become far too greedy to realize they've ruined what makes them different. The console industry is a sinking ship; Nintendo tried to jump the boat, but ended up being chum; Microsoft and Sony are desperately stealing all the valuables before it completely sinks.

originally, the difference between consoles and PCs was the difference between an orange and an apple. The orange business was so good at the time that almost everyone bought oranges and no apples. A while ago, the consumers started saying they certain aspects of apples a bit more. So, the orange business changed their oranges, adding in new aspects of apples. The consumers ate some of the orange-apples and said "well, this is okay... But we kinda want the apple's thin skin on our orange." The orange makes changed their oranges again, and then received more requests, and changed the oranges again, ad infinium.

Eventually, the people who ate oranges were left with an object MUCH like an apple, but obviously inferior to an actual apple considering it was NOT a real apple. With this notion, consumers abandoned the orange-apples and ate some real apples.
And to conclude, since this industry is obviously failing, there will be no XBOX 2 or PS5
>>
>>334673993
I literally type up an essay for you guys an no one responds?

Goddammit
>>
>>334674547
Why the fuck do you think anyone comes on /v/ to read essays? This isn't Kotaku or Blogspot.

And give me a minute to read it over. I'm fairly certain you are wrong, but would like to understand your point clearly to note exactly why.
>>
Tldr
Fuck off pc fat, you retards have been spouting consoles are dead forever now, and this gen has been the fastest selling gen to date
>>
Nice copypasta.

>Developers have been listening to their fanbase far too much
it's been the polar opposite in my eyes, and I've been an active gamer and follower of the gaming media and industry for some 20 years now.

>mods, KB+M on consoles, destroying anything
yeah, nope. The mods are still virtually nonexistent on consoles, and no matter that there's been KB+M sets available for console machines since frigging SNES, they have always been and still are just niche items, often used as gimmick tools, by very few players. There's been dozens of examples where an average guy has totally dominated games when playing console-shooter online with KB+M, yet the living-room players still prefer their clunky Xbox pads.

If there's one thing killing the industry, it's the modern, lazy way of western AAA devs focusing on quick-cash yearly-update sequels of equally shitty quality multi-plats, with no work done on optimizing the experiences for different systems, and always playing it "safe" with design (no controversial subjects, keep copying the working formula of last year). Some entire great genres, that were still present a decade ago, are almost completely gone nowadays, with the industry focusing on shooters more than ever.

It's the same situation as in the early 80's, which led to the big game crash; high saturation of shitty copies. However, even back then, it was not the end of all gaming. The early home-computer players barely noticed a thing back then, as it hit the hardest those early TV consoles and arcades.

Now some console gamers have started to realized the superiority of "oranges", and just know to ask for better.

>Innovation isn't profitable
yeeaahh... except there was this little thing called "Wii" in late 00s, that outsold everything, for the sole reason of being innovative and being aimed for the then-new casual audiences. There also was tons of innovations in the past that were highly profitable, yet we take them for granted nowadays.
>>
>>334675371
you made a good point. About the gimmicks
>have you heard of the Wii
>having only 1 successful product that faded into irrelevance years later
>>
>>334675605
>having only 1 successful product that faded into irrelevance years later
Almost every single Nintendo system was both profitable and innovative, one way or another. And considering the motion-control fad it sparked, it really ain't that irrelevant either.

NES literally rescued the gaming industry, and while cartridge-based games and detachable controllers weren't first done by Nintendo, they did finetune the concept a great deal. It's also a bit shame that the western NES was a cut-down version of the Famicom, which packed things like microphones on the gamepads (which were used by many games), disk expansion device, and even early online features.

And what about fucking Game Boy? Up to these days, Nintendo's handhelds have simply dominated that side of the show, usually outselling the competitor's stronger and fancier machines 3 to 1.

if anything, the WiiU is surprisingly "normal" gaming console in the broad history of Nintendo, especially after their DS and Wii systems were such big things because they played their own game.
>>
>>334673935
>>334673993
Okay, so: No, you are wrong.

The thing that Sony and Microsoft currently have is not exclusives. It's brand loyalty. People are not sitting down and writing Youtube comments over The Order 1886 due to it being a wonderful exclusive. Nobody defended Ryse due to the Xbone possessing such a wonderful exclusive game (at the time). What Playstation/Xbox has is brand loyalty. People defend shit like Ryse or The Order out of brand loyalty, since those exclusives are the main difference between systems, and if the exclusives are shit, then there's no reason to pick the particular brand.

What has happened is that the brand loyalty hype has begun to turn in onto itself. People have used the term "turn toxic" to describe it, and while that term is vastly overused lately, it's fairly accurate in the brand loyalty fights. The amount of bile being tossed around in these discussions is incredible, to the point where it turns most people off of the whole discussion. Developers can barely have a meaningful discussion with fanbases, because most are so raving that they just common on the opposing camp rather than propose improvements. And people watching outside are just avoiding the whole thing, leaving gaming or moving onto PC/mobile instead.

Of course, there is the matter of distinction. The console companies have ended up making products too similar to each other, in part because they need more technological power like PCs (and so become more like PCs) and in part because they are listening to these problematic fanbases, who demand the newest shiny that the other side owns. Also, because the companies have become so close to the public and the fanbases, they end up changing anything which these overly-critical fanbases complain about. See: Xbox One.

There will likely be an Xbox 2 and PS5, if only because Microsoft will push an Xbox 2 and Sony will respond.
>>
>OP asks for replies
>OP gets replies
>OP disappeared
Well fuck you too.
>>
I think this thread is really unreadable, learn to make your points quicker.

I think that eventually consoles are just going to be DRM apps for computers/tables/phones and as for hardware Nintendo/Sony/MS will just sell their input devices.
>>
Good luck PCfat fucks. As much as you 'tards want consoles to be dead, it will never happen. Why? Children. Consoles will always be a BIG seller among children. Have fun dealing with that fact, you PCfats.
>>
File: ccs1.jpg (393 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
ccs1.jpg
393 KB, 1000x1000
Next gen is right around the corner in a lot of peoples eyes.
Gen 8.5 at best in others.
The Nintendo NX, The PS4K and a more beefy xbox one that has been confirmed.
In truth or lies potentially, Microsoft claims the new xbox they will show at E3 will be 9th gen and some see the NX as also being 9th gen.

Personally I feel I've grown out of wasting half a grand or more on a glorified entertainment system.
The next "water coolers".
Never bought into 8th gen and neither did every one of my friends, but they all practically grew out of video-games all together.
I can look at graphs showing a steep decline in system sales compared to last gen because at least system sales are tracked somewhat and people keep saying
>Its only been a few years.
>Every gen starts out small and then gets better over time as their library grows and people have real reasons to buy their system.
But I don't see it as the sun setting, I see it as an industry dying.
>>
>food analogy
>it isn't Subway-related
>>
>>334679079
you sound like you have a cute butt
>>
>>334679756
The food analogy sucked. I would love the fuck out of citrusy apples.

>>334679505
>Personally I feel I've grown out of wasting half a grand or more on a glorified entertainment system.
This.

I'm old enough to reasonably have a computer for 10+ years at a time. I would be asked to buy two or three consoles in that timeframe. That's over $1000 by current prices. Add in the cost of games, which are $20-$60 for consoles but dirt cheap for PC, and I really don't see a point in even bothering anymore.
>>
>>334673935
>>334673993

Exclusivity contracts are not unique to video games, they aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and five hundred words isn't an essay. The industry is posting record profits, and if anything killed the latest XBOX it was a complete lack of uniqueness outside of a handful of bad soundbites at launch. What you see as cataclysmic is just the result of market fluctuation filtered through your adolescent myopia. Purchasing decisions of the masses will always be dependent on a low barrier for entry. Stay in school.
>>
>>334674547
Because it's fucking stupid and shows you know almost nothing about the gaming industry period.

It reads like the idiotic jack off fantasy of some fucking idiot who's chained to their pc.

Keyboards were never asked for by anyone save for a minor chunk of the fanbase and that was ONLY to chat online. Not play games.

Quantum break was never going to be amazing unless the story and interactivity of it was good and we have NOT seen an interactive story/cg movie on the consoles that has not been sub mediocre tripe.
Even FMV games like sewer shark, corpse killer and phantasmogoria were better.

The industry has gone beyond contracting after the wii artificiall grew the industry and let ms and sony reap the benefits from a nonstop black pr campaign against da ebul casuals gurl gamers and kiddies and racists and sjw and the queer mafia and loser chunks of the movie industry wanted in on it.
Nintendo simply let the wii go fallow and sony and ms just went hog fucking wild with the PR that both fattened their coffers but also destroyed the industry.
What happened in their attempts to solidify their audience and cut out everyone else?
Casuals simply left.
Gurl gamers got sick of the legbeards and faggots shit.
Kids moved on when they realized that games no longer let them play with their friends and decided to use their parents old phones to download cheap wii/ds tier games.
Racists never cared
SJW were mostly just people looking for money with less then a few actually giving a shit but also wanting to make money
And the queer mafia just wanted to push faggotry no matter what.
>>
>>334673935
did you copy paste this from a polygon article?
>>
Modern gaming is trash and we're about to see a huge collapse of the gaming industry.

Hopefully any future rebirth will be pure gaming instead of this modern pseudo-gaming trash.
>>
>>334680930
>Modern gaming is trash and we're about to see a huge collapse of the gaming industry.
yea thats what ever /v/ faggot said in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and you're saying it again!
>>
>>334679505
next gen is 4k 60 fps. consoles will be stuck at that cinematic silky smooth ultra super mega 24 frames per second @ 1440p
>>
>>334680987
we can already do 4k 60fps last year
>>
>>334680796
There's also the little matter that the 8th gen was doomed to failure out of the gate because the consoles both didn't have any backwards compatibility, and locked away features that were free on older consoles behind paywalls and most if not all of their games needed the net to even fucking function. I'm not getting into how horribly inconvenient even moving around the fucking UI had become.
The generation proved to be expensive and a mere sidested evolution with NOTHING in the way of games or the simple fucking necessities that are required for a home console to be considered a worthy purchase.

The industry isn't dying the industry is fucking dead.
And the only people pushing a ps4k or xb1 2.0 are sony and microsoft shills who are terrified of the new fucking nintendo. Problem is that their current systems have been out for less then three years and have FUCK ALL to show for games. FUCK ALL.
They try to push a 9th gen as a reaction to the new nintendo they'll see their already anemic sales for fucking everythign drop harder then morning star. And that's a fact.
>>
>>334673935
There is no way this post is not literally me. It is me in the most literal sense of the word. It could not be any more me. As soon as I saw the shape of the text, the block of lines, I knew it was me. It's like looking at a mirror: it is literally me. I wouldn't post this if I didn't know for certain, FOR CERTAIN, that this was me.
>>
>>334674547
Your essay is fucking shit man, I feel stupider for having read it.
>>
PC is going to die as well, PC sales have been in freefall since windows 8. Intel has been abusing their monopoly to stall hardware progress and make higher profits in the short term. But they killed the consumer PC market. The remaining OEMs will be forced to pull out soon and custom built PCs aren't popular enough for intel to keep making desktop chips.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.