[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why i think the nost devs weren't doing it for free:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: nostalrius.jpg (132 KB, 970x342) Image search: [Google]
nostalrius.jpg
132 KB, 970x342
why i think the nost devs weren't doing it for free:

Why didn't the devs just release all the tools to host for free?

once all that shit is out there's no going back and they would have won.. just like how people didn't want that 3-d printed gun to get out but it did

there is definitely more too this story that they didn't release.
>>
>>334667941
We definitely can speculate. I honestly think they are scared blizzard will follow through with legal action if the release the code. Or maybe they want to find the right group to start up the server instead of splitting the player base. I felt like they sincere in they just wanted to create vanilla but I could definetly be wrong
>>
>>334668350
>I honestly think they are scared blizzard will follow through with legal action if the release the code.
>when they're in a country that has since 1977 protected Roman Polansky from having drugged and fucked a 14 year old girl in the ass

I'm just saying
>>
>>334668350
if they weren't making any money they wouldn't have folded so easily
>>
>>334667941
Even if they didn't Blizzard would've won. You can't use an IP even with 0 profit unless you lease/own it.

If they did, still don't care - they worked hard to make that server decent and they deserved smtn from it.

And I doubt they got much if they did at all.
>>
The law is 100% on Blizz's side, and rightfully so in that instance. You can't use a company's IP without permission, even if it's not for profit. You can't argue this from a legal standpoint because no matter what, Blizzard is in the right.

The argument is entirely from a moralistic standpoint, which is also harder to work from because quite frankly, Blizz does actually have the moral highground because again it's their IP being used.
>>
>>334668935
>>334668661
but i paid for the game back in like 2006 and i want to play it

were do i fit in this puzzle?
>>
>>334667941
Nice attempt at propaganda fuckold.
>>
>>334669054

You don't. It sucks but that's the nature of games that periodically update, much like how you can never go back in TF2 (unless you still have a copy of Orange Box).

Now I never used Nost because quite frankly I like to look forward when it comes to games, I don't like to dwell in the past and play things as they once were forever. But I get why some people do, but since these games don't have an offline component, when things change that's really all there is to it.
>>
>>334669054
You think you do.

But wouldn't you rather ride around in a bad ass chopper slaying fags with the legendary ashbringer?
>>
>>334669287
>You think you do.

You know what? I'm going to play Devil's Advocate for a minute with that "you think you want it, but you do" cunt. I think he's utterly wrong, but I'm going to look at it from his pov.

This guy did not seem like he had the mindset of a player. He's a programmer and that's it, everything to him is based on the programming point of view. Of COURSE he doesn't see why people would want Vanilla, because the things that appealed to those players had nothing to do with the mechanics or gameplay. Those things were garbage in Vanilla, all he sees is a barely-functioning, clunky game. But to the players it was an experience, it really did feel like being among all the others.
>>
>>334669054
I bought City of Heroes back in 2004 and I want to play it.

Where's my justice faggot?
>>
>>334669547

Where's my PSO?
>>
File: Nostralius dev.jpg (39 KB, 625x415) Image search: [Google]
Nostralius dev.jpg
39 KB, 625x415
>>
>>334669614
several probb private servers out there tbqh famalam
>>
>>334669614
The gamecube version still functions just fine, even the online component. But you basically need to set up playing coming to play beforehand or it'll be empty.
>>
>>334667941
How much Disney pay you for this thread?

Also 'Nostalius' or how ever the fuck you say it is one of the most cringe names in fucking history
>>
>>334667941
>Why didn't the devs just release all the tools to host for free?

They did fuckwit
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.