[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do YOU like playing Monster Hunter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 20
File: monster hunter.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
monster hunter.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>
File: 1397873121025.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1397873121025.gif
1 MB, 320x240
One of the minor details that I absolutely love in MH and wish was in more games is that the character you play as isn't "The chosen one" or "The one the prophecy foretold of" or something. You are just some average jobber in a fantasy world just trying to make a living.
>>
>>334644523
Wow, MHX looks like dogshit.
>>
>>334644523
who game dis is?
>>
>>334644523
Because friends ;_;
>>
>>334645016
Autistic faeries the anime
>>
File: 1425334143636.jpg (188 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1425334143636.jpg
188 KB, 750x750
>>334644523
The moment when you beat a monster not by changing gear, weapons, items, or any other in-game means of gaining strength.

Beating it by sheer force of getting better is too sweet a feeling.
>>
>>334645904
Might as well play dark souls.
>>
File: GotchaBitch-Azure.jpg (233 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
GotchaBitch-Azure.jpg
233 KB, 1280x720
>>334646554
I said no in-game means of gaining strength.
Leveling up is one of those.

Also I don't care for the in-between boss parts.
>>
>>334646554
Dark Souls is literally too easy.
>>
UNless you read guides like a faggot, its actually challenging and rewards you for sitting down and actually learning how to fight each monster.

Its even better since there is no health bars or some guy breathing down your neck telling you "Hit it in the head" Just you, and the monster.

Also there is lots of things to craft and make, sometimes you end up with shit, sometimes you make awesome weapons, and prepping for fighting a new monster is relaxing and exciting at the same time.
>>
>>334646554
You can grind levels in dark souls.

In Monster hunter you can grind for gear, but that still requires you to git gud at fighting previous monsters.
>>
>>334646554
Go play MH right now
Dark Souls isn't even a hard game
>>
I liked how the combat was completely responsive, how button smashing was punished and how I actually had to properly dodge and position myself while going for the monster's weak spots in a market where nearly every action game was simplified into auto-aiming button smashing. I liked how the weapons were different and each had its own defined role.
I liked how it was a perfect blend of Japanese light-heartedness and cartoonish and Western-inspired weapon, enemy and equipment designs, making an excellent and memorable universal settting that appeals to anyone.
I loved how they had really completely overhauled the game and improved it in every way in Tri, not holding back and avoiding the endless lazy rehashing they had done before it.

Unfortunately they lost track of these things over the years, X was probably the biggest shock: while I slowly accepted or tolerated the "faults" of late 3rd gen and 4th gen I just can't deal with the new MH.

I hope that new players have fun with it, it's just not for me anymore.
>>
>>334644523
It seems the new monster hunter is looking damn fine
>>
>>334644523
Did the movie ever get translated? Been sitting on the raw hoping I wouldn't have to go through it my minimal moon understanding.
>>
File: oh shit.png (1 MB, 1656x932) Image search: [Google]
oh shit.png
1 MB, 1656x932
The monsters' ecologies are damned neat. Going on gathering missions and seeing the big monsters while crouched and using binoculars to see how they interact with others is pretty damned neat. The way each monster is made and remains visually and tonally distinct is damned neat. The way each monster WORKS is damned neat. The little details like how some monsters react to certain items used, or how they'll restore their fatigue (save for the latest trend of JUST GO RAGE MODE!). The inferences to the ecosystems and where everything sits and interacts on a primal level (ie: Tigrex is an apex predator, but it will often be preyed upon by hungry enough Deviljhos or stay the fuck away from any Ukanloses).

Frontier has pretty fun and neat designs given how they're all inspired with their themes and appearances, but purists tend to endlessly shit on them because they get crazy with some designs.

I genuinely love the detail that they went into Gore Magala.
>>
>>334649885
Any "purist" will be nothing but an hypocrite after Generations anyway.

I want underwater lagi back so fucking bad.
>>
File: 48583152_p6_master1200.jpg (239 KB, 1157x982) Image search: [Google]
48583152_p6_master1200.jpg
239 KB, 1157x982
>>334649885
I like that, despite the outlandish designs, Frontier monsters at least use those outlandish things.
If they are covered in spikes then by god you'll wind up with a spike through your face at some point in time during the fight.

However my favorite in terms of interactions with the environment is Baru. Watching him attack and suck up the blood of the various 'dromes is pretty neat, especially how it changes based on location.
>>
>>334650834
Let's not forget how Abiorugu acts around other monsters, or the biggest fucking monster bro that is Espinas. Forever fucking mad we got Hypnoc instead of Espina. FOREVER

Wish I could play Frontier without the sub, nor the bullshit the game's filled with.
>>
>>334650834
That monster is like the one Frontier monster not even the shitposters hate on.
>>
>>334644934

>just some average dude who can cleave 250 foot dinosaurs in half, yep, nothing special
>>
>>334644934
>You are just some average jobber
>>
>>334644523
Honestly? I don't. Don't get me wrong, Monster Hunter is an amazing series and the games are great. I just prefer all the MH clones instead and play MH because that's what everyone else has and I lose all credibility if I don't.

It's just... there's always a point in MH where I hit a wall, where I go "why am I still playing this game?" and I abandon it forever.
>>
>>334652076
>>334652268
Well... kinda, right? Because hunting is a profession, which is why they have a guild of hunters. I know you never see any other hunters doing their thing but technically there are loads of people just like you.
>>
>>334644523

Sense of accomplishment as I improve, cool creature design, unique setting.
>>
>>334646554

I do

I also play MH

Are you from some poor South American nation where you can literally only afford one game?
>>
>>334652076
Well, ability notwithstanding, the point remains.
Since all the other hunters can do the same shit.

Though I felt that with 4U it started going down that line with the story rapidly go from "You're a newbie" to "Ohmuhgud you're so cool". That a lot of the other hunting genre games.
>>
>>334652773
yet you're always the only irreplaceable guy available when needed in the story of every title
and in 4/4U of all games you quickly go from nobody that just picked a random weapon and wanted to be a hunter to being better than the most elite group of hunters in existence in a few days

sorry but capcom caught you hook, line and sinker with their advertisements over design directions they stopped following
>>
File: gleeful frog.jpg (28 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
gleeful frog.jpg
28 KB, 400x388
>>334652905
>when you beat the caravaneer's challenge and master's test and everyone praises you

That ego stroke is the real reward.
>>
>>334652076

I mean, if you hit it a thousand times with a sword made of bullshit magic dinosaur bone, it will eventually keel over, yeah. No one's Shinobi PS2 style slicing giant motherfuckers in half in one shot.
>>
>>334644523
Knowing that i can crush enemies X times my size is a great feeling but the best feeling is victory after a long drawn out battle
>>
>tfw waiting for Monster Hunter X and Online to come to north america

I can't fucking do it bros. They're so far away I'll never make it
>>
>>334653004
I thought it was implied that hunts take a few days to complete. Maybe not in killing but in travel. The caravaneer often says he expected you to be gone a couple more days when you talk to him.
>>
>>334653094
glad i'm not the only one lol. the story was nothing to write home about but i loved the characters and their catchphrases like "You're the one to get it done!" Hoping MHX has the same fun kind of characters.
>>
>Want to get into monster hunter
>All the major titles are on handhelds that are underpowered and do not have great control schemes.
>Only console titles are long since dead (PS2 titles), never came to america, or dying (MH3HD). Vita never got MH, despite being a perfect handheld for it.

Capcom has really done a lot to make me feel "fuck this" about the franchise in the west. Maybe if we got PC ports or at least Wii U/NX ports that don't control like garbage and look like ass, maybe I would pick it up.
>>
>>334653004
Yeah, you're good at your job. But you're still just doing your job. You're not given some amazing power because you were chosen by the divine light or whatever, you're just really fucking good at your job.

It's like the difference between "Only I can fight this monster because I am the chosen one" and "Only I can fight this monster because I worked and trained harder than anyone else, I am literally the only one with enough skill to not die immediately and maybe win"
>>
>>334644523
It's the game that opened my eyes to how complacent and casual I had become with game design. I started with Tri and I never played anything Monster Hunter before and thus I hated it. For some reason I couldn't stand the fact my best friends and others around me were having fun and I wasn't so I bought the game myself so I could understand the appeal. The fact there was no lock on, health bars, and only clues you were given in any fight are purely visual is what made me stick with the series 6 years later.
>>
>>334653418
I felt the same until a friend gave me a hand me down 3DS when he bought the N3DS. MH4U actually looks pretty damn good for a handheld game. MHX/Generations looks even better, the effects are much nicer. I'd prefer good graphics on a proper console/PC but for what it is it's pretty damn good.
>>
>>334653248
We're getting Online? I thought that was a pipe dream.

>>334653418
4U on the 3DS is great, mate. I've never heard a single complain about it being on the 3DS, except from people wanted it on the Vita because they don't have a 3DS.
>>
>>334653418
>tri
>its a great game, they cut a few weapons and there were few monsters but EVERY monster was completely new or remade, every asset brought unseen polish in the series and the weapons that were there were extremely improved
>wii when you only had a psp
>miss it because fuck getting a console for one game
>years later and with a bit more money do what i said i wouldnt do and get a WiiU for 3U
>capcom crosses the owners fucking the performance and never porting another MH title again

and this is when i learned i should just pirate MH and that if they announce MH5 for the NX it will be a trap like Tri and 3U for the U
>>
>>334653616
shame about the ergonomics and controls
>>
>single player game with mmo grinding
No thanks
>>
File: CaptureMaster.jpg (163 KB, 932x545) Image search: [Google]
CaptureMaster.jpg
163 KB, 932x545
>>334653884
>Not stacking the odds in your favor

What grind?
>>
I've run out of objectives in mh4u

I'm going through MH withdrawal

I've played 3U and 4U

I'd like to play an MH game on my TV

I own a PlayStation TV

Is MHFU worth $20?
>>
>>334653418

Start a petition, faggot.
>>
>>334653742
Only acceptable mh game to pirate was p3. Support for the game is why we're actually getting releases now. Those playing 3u or 4u as their first don't realize there was a lot if time to get there.
>>
File: 1442234962479.jpg (20 KB, 240x255) Image search: [Google]
1442234962479.jpg
20 KB, 240x255
>mfw one day the wii just simply send me a note telling me that they were shutting down online
I loved playing mh3 with randoms, i made so good memories
>>
File: NotSoTough.jpg (379 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
NotSoTough.jpg
379 KB, 1920x1080
>>334654069
It's worth free dollars on PPSSPP.
>>
My favorite thing is shooting monsters out of the air with a bow.
>>
>>334654141
>Only acceptable mh game to pirate was p3
Nope, all the same stuff.
Pirating is pirating. Hate it, love it but it's always the same.
>>
Favourite weapons?

Personally I love the hunting horn. Hits hard enough, good range and the buffs can be pretty darn useful. Plus, some attacks shift your position so they're great for attack-dodges. Plus there' the thrill of bashing a monster's skull in and just barely getting a song played before dodging an attack. Stuns are great too.

I'm aware some faggots just run to the corner of an area and spam songs though, for some reason.
>>
>>334654069
>Is MHFU worth $20?
I'd say it's well worth the price considering the time I've spent on it, it has a fuckload of content. It might feel really dated and stiff though. You can always emulate it for free if that's an option, at least so you can get a general feel of the game before you spent money on it.
>>
>>334653418
PPSSPP is pretty good. Plug and play with 360 controller. Citrus fags should hurry up, I would even pay money for a good 3DS emu just to play MH. Couldn't care less for the rest of its lineup.
>>
>>334654141
>Support for the game is why we're actually getting releases now.
F1, F2 and FU had decent support for the PSP but ultimately the platform stopped selling in the west.
They also never localized MH4, people said it was to make sure the release here would become closer to the Japanese one since 3U took too long to come but here we are with game still coming a year late.
I would skip X but I should take a look at it so I'll pirate it and really just hope for 5 instead.
>>
>>334645658
gdgd fairies is great
>>
File: 1459430223742.jpg (70 KB, 600x499) Image search: [Google]
1459430223742.jpg
70 KB, 600x499
>>334654193
>blushing dame
>>
File: OhGodPlease.jpg (207 KB, 1048x696) Image search: [Google]
OhGodPlease.jpg
207 KB, 1048x696
>>334654557
I always seem to get the materials for Blushing Dame far easier than the Azure version.

Not like they don't end up in the same place anyway.
>>
When will the series get good graphics? I know it's not even a major issue but I know a lot of people get turned off by how dated it always looks and refuses to play it.
>>
Why are monster hunter fags always so offended when people compare their game to dark souls?
I've picked up MH4U and lend my niece's Wii U to play it until they return from holidays. I've spend around 2 weeks playing it and I can undoubtedly say that it's in no way shape or form any harder than Dark Souls games.

Both games punish you for being a scrub, it's just that monster hunter boss fights are tediously long most of the time, which I personally dislike. I can see the appeal of the game,tho.
>>
File: 1290206809942.jpg (32 KB, 397x397) Image search: [Google]
1290206809942.jpg
32 KB, 397x397
>pick big ass sword at the start
>locked into a 3 second animation before you come down with the hit
Everything I hear about why MH is fun (crafting, no HP bars on monsters, heavy emphasis on prep) sounds great on paper but I tried three different weapons and even the twin blades felt slow as fuck. I could have about as much fun playing Devil May Cry and only using the Drive ability to get through the game, what's the point of having all this good stuff when your core combat is mediocre?
>>
File: 1434073792158.png (78 KB, 286x429) Image search: [Google]
1434073792158.png
78 KB, 286x429
>>334655093
Usually one side or the other makes a comparison while also saying how much their choice is oh so superior than that other one.
Which then leads to anger and buttblasting all around.

Personally I like the Souls bosses, but I find the in-between portions far too annoying to play the game for long periods or over multiple months.
That and the fact that in MH I can make a mistake and have plenty of time and health to recover from it, while Souls games tend to be a bit more on the mistake->death and learning through that repetition.

People have different tastes so one game will speak to them more than the other.
>>
>>334655093
I do wish boss fights would be a bit quicker. Make the difficulty higher to compensate or something but god damn it's annoying when you have to farm something like a Rathian because the specific part you want won't drop.
>>
File: 1450169901990.jpg (227 KB, 1600x964) Image search: [Google]
1450169901990.jpg
227 KB, 1600x964
>>334655093
Because when Tri hit big, everyone would compare it to Dark Souls to troll people and incite inter-community riots.

Dark Souls is far harder than Monster Hunter, solely because even Freedom Unite held your hand to an extent, and let you have time to figure everything out before SUDDENLY THE DRAGON but still tell you it's time to get the fuck out and not fight it, and gives you so many resources that lets you cheese the game early in when you know what you're doing. Not only that, but Low Rank is literally Easy Mode, with the real difficulty hitting late High Rank to mid G Rank.

Also, once you git gud, the fights almost never last more than 10 minutes unless you're fighting something brand new and need time to learn its shit. Not that I'm saying "git gud scrub", but experience and playtime definitely scales the fights down in total time.

I also understand and agree that 20+ minutes is unfun as fuck until the end.
>>
>>334654709
That entire weapon tree isn't that great, the dragon attribute is pretty much negligible. Siegmund is the only one from the Golem Blade family I'd bother with but you can't upgrade it after HR6 anyway. Still nice to have when I play with high rank players I don't want to carry too much.
>>
>>334654069
Here's a list of pros and cons may vary depending on person:

Pro:
-No tutorial in the beginning. Watch a cutscene talk to a few people and you can start doing quests in less than 5 minutes.
-Some really nice locales
-lots of weapon and armor variety, even at Low Rank
-Great way to fight monsters you haven't faced before if you don't have 4U and not planning to get Generations
-Stuffed to the gill with quests
-Felyne Comrade system gives you full control over your cats skills and don't run on enthusiasm

Cons:
-Weapon movesets are limited. GS doesn't have its side smack, SNS can't do shield bashing, and hammer can't do its unsheathe into a triple hit. Other weapons are missing things as well, but I won't list them.
-Kitchen system can be confusing and you can actually fail a dish or get no boosts what so ever
-Monster hitboxes aren't as refined as recent titles, the most infamous being anything Plesioth does

Overall it's a very solid game, just know that it's rough in certain areas.
>>
You're rewarded for learning how to be prepared, playing smart, and learning all the mechanics. The crafting system isn't bloated and keeps it simple. This is literally the only multiplayer game I enjoy because you're not forced into any kind of role. It's just you and your hunting buddies... getting gud
>>
>>334653675
I don't know if you noticed since you basically flat out admitted you don't have a Vita, but the 3DS has the resolution of 2006 youtube videos.
>>
I wish they kept the encyclopedias. I don't mind having some amount of world building.

There are even characters that are mentioned in armor that appeared in them, specifically the Legendary Gunner in one of the tutorial books for MHFU that is always mentioned in the barrage piercing and the story of Yama's discovery/how it's weakness to tranqs was found
>>
>>334655747
If we were talking about having access to all monsters, then you have a point.

I was mucking around mainly in village quests at that point so I didn't really care about it.
Also fuck Monoblos Hearts
Fuck Monoblos in general.
>>
I started playing MH3U the other day. I picked the greatsword, and I heard it was difficult, but really strong, and want to master it... is it worth it?
>>
>>334656304
>fuck Monoblos Hearts
they were an absolute joke to get since you could carve them. The only issue was that every piece of it's armor took a heart and was one of the earliest armors with Sharpness+1
>>
>>334644523
wtf is this version thou

it looks shitter their MH dos
>>
File: 1460014059174.jpg (184 KB, 990x904) Image search: [Google]
1460014059174.jpg
184 KB, 990x904
>>334656421
I just don't -Blos well.
I've fought probably 100 of them across all the games, but I still can't stand to fight them.

It isn't too far to say that those 4 are my least favorite monsters to fight.
>>
>>334656382
GS is one of the easiest but most rewarding weapons, really fun imo, just gotta learn timing and charges
>>
>>334656382
>master greatsword
it takes a week to "master"
worth it though, breddy gud weapon
>>
>>334644523
cool monster designs, setting, and atmosphere
it's definitely not the gameplay
>>
>>334656304
Fair enough. I didn't mean to say it was complete shit by the way, it gets the job done just fine.
If you've done village quests that means you did some high rank nargas though. If that screenshot is recent and you're not afraid of farming for brain stems, get Hidden Blaze, it's good and even its upgrade shits all over a good amount of G-Rank greatswords unless you have sharpness+1
>>
>>334656621
Diablos I can agree with but Monoblos got a really good revamp along with White Monoblos.
It doesn't go underground very often and fights in-your-face with it's gen 4 moveset.

I really wish they either removed Diablos or give it Monoblos' moveset. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the plan since Lavasioth took Diablos' dig in X and is essentially it's replacement
>>
>>334656685
It's easy to learn to a point where you're effective with it.
But people who actually get all the facets of the weapon down are a world apart.

I miss having the "quick" charge where you could release a GS charge with the 3rd flash instead of just after and get the same effect.
So you saw someone who could reliably nail those hits even in the middle of a fight and you knew they were a practiced user.
>>
>>334645904
But MonHun games arent even hard, they're about repetition of the same tired moves against the same tired enemies. Toss in slowest gameplay and complete RNG drop system, and you got a game that stands up with the grindiest of korean MMOs.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.