[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Miyazaki meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 1460394916006.jpg (88 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1460394916006.jpg
88 KB, 500x500
You say that Miyazaki is a great level designer. Yet the worlds that he makes have forests that are immune to giant slabs of iron snapping through them, pyromancies that die out in tall grass as soon as they hit it, weapons and armor clipping through one another, limbs that are impossible to disjoint and weather system that does not exist. To name but a few. Is Miyazaki the first designer that managed to divorce TECHNOLOGY and design?

And what exactly is so enticing about this whole Souls scholar movement going on? How long will you idolize people who observe that the area you passed an hour ago can now be glimpsed at far horizon?

Duh?
>>
magical iron
magical forests
magical fire
magical limbs
magical weapons & armor
magical weather
>>
The buster sword, or any other massive sword would be fucking useless against a tree for anything but making it dull. Axes work by taking out sections with a very focused and small surface area, you don't just cleave an oak down moron.
>>
>>334623191
>Swing a sword
>it gets stuck in the tree
>you die while trying to wrench it out
>combat gets more depth
>>
>>334623191
You couldn't use those massive swords in real life anyway.
>>
>>334623191
You know what's dull? Having next to zero TECHNOLOGY in the fourth iteration of the same gameplay model.
>>
>>334623280
You know that everyone would complain about this shit don't even kid yourself.
>>
>>334622706
miyazaki is /v/'s devfu who can do no wrong despite fucking up every sequel to demon's souls
>>
>>334624232
Nobody complained when you couldn't swing a greatsword in that pre-red knight tunnel area in DeS, in fact it was one of the most praised setpieces of that game.
>>
>>334624059
>fourth

don't you mean fifth
i don't know why anyone is surprised from is lazy and cheap though, surely this should have been realized awhile ago
>>
>>334623280
That would be neat, I remember it fucking me up in Mark of Kri - a PS2 game.
>>
>>334624749
I think that what used to be a pretty grimdark setting started to suffer from really tacky overdesign - tombstone upon tombstone, copypasted candles anywhere and spires sprouting from spires. When someone is trying to impress you every turn you take it's bound to fall short.

>>334625209
Severance: Blade of Darkness is the high technology watermark that From never even attempted to reach. They managed to divorce technology and combat as well.
>>
>>334624469
huh, didn't really think about it that way. I honestly thought you were just shitposting about making a fantasy game a turbo realistic combat sim. That being said I still think it would take a lot of effort to make it a fun mechanic rather than some slapped on annoying bullshit.
>>
>>334625745
Well, of course it takes effort. Imagine if there was a weather system and the stairs got slick. Or you cut a tree down in one swing and bring it on the invader. Or set a fire to one part of the forest cornering an enemy down.
>>
>>334622706
>You say that Miyazaki is a great level designer.
>Now here are some arbitrary requirements that have nothing to do with level design that I will use to judge Miyazaki with.

You are more autistic than the soulsfanbase.
>>
>>334627175
I didn't know that environment has nothing to do with level design, thank you for the insight.
>>
>>334626917
I think these ideas would work really well in a game that didn't rely so heavily on static level design as DAS does, since it seems that with the way the game is designed now such drastic changes to the world could make some sections horribly unbalanced or even impossible.
>>
>>334628390
But it already has those elements, you can't swing a weapon without enough STR = you can't chop down a tree etc.
>>
>>334627694
Nothing was stated in the OP about the environment in context of level design, but only in context of believability.
>>
>>334628812
An important factor that makes the world aka the level feel more alive. You might as well be claiming that the graphics have nothing to do with level design.
>>
>>334628562
I didn't really mean unbalanced in terms of the player's ability but more the consequences of the interactions such as the lack of trees making too hard to avoid a swarm of enemies to drink estus or something like that. I guess that would be the players fault for not planning ahead though. Additionally things like the rain slick idea would just cause people to wait out the rain instead (unless there was some sort of reward for fighting in the rain).
>>
I haven't played DaS3 yet but is there a lore reason for why all the enemies in DaS3 are all giant Van Helsing-esque gothic horrors? Everything, including human or formerly-human enemies, seems to be 8 or 9 feet tall compared to the manlet player character. Compare this to DaS1 where hollows, human skeletons, and other human-based characters were about the same size as your character.
And in DaS1, enemies felt like they made sense. In the Undead Burg you found undead humans, in the Catacombs you found human-sized skeletons, in the Giants Tomb you found giant skeletons, in Blighttown you found human-size mutants, in the swamp you found swamp wildlife, in the forest you found forest wildlife and rangers, in the Demon Ruins you found big demons, in Anor Londo (where it made sense for things to be bigger than you) you found giant enemies (and even then, the human characters like painting guardians were human-sized). The only place where you found a gothic horror-style enemy was the harpies in the Painted World, which made sense because a fictional world within the fictional world. The only enemy that felt "out of place" and random to me in DaS1 was the pink lightning demon things in Anor Londo (same ones that carry you in the cutscene). In DaS3, half the enemies feel as out of place and random as those. Why are there all these non-human creatures that are simply grotesque monsters who don't match the environment and the humanoid characters like knights and witches are twice your size?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.