[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what was the biggest mistake Capcom made with CVS2? >using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10
File: 532647-capcom_vs_snk.png (1 MB, 868x1025) Image search: [Google]
532647-capcom_vs_snk.png
1 MB, 868x1025
So what was the biggest mistake Capcom made with CVS2?

>using upscaled Alpha sprites for most of the SF cast (and Vampire sprites for Morrigan)
>using only SF and KOF characters pretty much
>going from from 4 buttons to 6
>not fixing roll canceling before release
>making some grooves blatantly better than others
>making the Capcom side of the cast overpowered in comparison to the SNK side

This shit game is pretty overrated, don't you agree?
>>
I agree that you're nitpicking in order to sound like le cool cynic, yes.
>>
>>334599895
Capcomdrone pls
>>
Their biggest mistake is not releasing an HD remake.
>>
they're biggest mistake was not making CVS3
>>
>>334599737
making it
>>
thoughts on SvC?
>>
>>334600579
>>334600481
These.

This was my favourite fighting game of all time...
>>
>>334599737
>>using only SF and KOF characters pretty much
That's what anyone would have wanted.
It's just that Street Fighter Vs. King of Fighters doesn't sound as appealing, so they have to add some extras from both companies.
>>
>>334599737
I'll never understand the hardon people have for CvS2 and MvC2. My guess is that they were just shit at other fighting games not made by Capcom and were thirsty as fuck for even the most half assed cash in.

Everything about CvS2 is trash. The sprites are terrible, the effects they used clash heavily with the sprites and look like shit, the music is unfitting to either side and is just more generic jazz, and the roster and balancing is utter nonsense.

>all those fucking shotoclones
>the complete lack of even trying to make the SNK side good
>the groove system is shit
>more fucking custom combo bullshit after it already ruined so many fighting games before it
>>
>>334600746
Which one?
>>
>>334599737
You mean Capcom vs. Snk?
>>
>>334599737
And this is a bad thing because....?
>>
>>334599737

But all of that is good..
>>
>>334599737
>using upscaled Alpha sprites for most of the SF cast (and Vampire sprites for Morrigan)
There's no way they were gonna make 3S tier graphics for 40 something characters, alpha sprites were fine when you're specifically working on getting the game out. Gameplay >>> graphics in fighting games

>using only SF and KOF characters pretty much
This is what people want from the crossover between two fighting game companies. If you wanted random bullshit obscure characters you masturbate over play svc chaos, only you wont because that game sucks ass

lol

roll canceling makes the game a billion times better, without it. lots of characters are only playable against claw or dictator or blanka because of it.

>making some grooves blatantly better than others
the only one that's just another grove but worse is P groove, N groove kinda sucks but it's a fun gimmick and it plays entirely like extra mode in kof98 does (which is the entire point of the game, what if character from game X played like someone from game Y)

aside from capcom command grab mechanics and shorthops not being braindead as fuck rushdown tools the main thing that makes the snk cast weaker is the fact that most snk characters fucking suck, with lame movesets that only work because they're given retarded frame data and hitboxes so you can derp rushdown
>>
Any game that has Blanka in top tier is shit by default.

Hell, any game that has Blanka in it is already questionable.
>>
>>334601103
t - shitter that can't play this game at a high tier level where it matters
>>
File: Cer4NFkXEAA5lQ6.jpg (13 KB, 272x296) Image search: [Google]
Cer4NFkXEAA5lQ6.jpg
13 KB, 272x296
>>334601374
>blankaniggers defending their shitty game
>>
>>334599737
The ONLY problem, and I mean only, is that it couldn't live up to the SvC MotM on NGP. That game is fucking untouchable.
>>
>>334601103
Most of the other top tiers beat Blanka pretty bad in matchups.

But yeah Blanka is a genuine, 100%, hall-of-fame, nigger
>>
>>334599737
>>making some grooves blatantly better than others
I'm pretty sure the Grooves emulated concepts that were inherently more exploitable as best as possible.

C'mon how do you balance the infinite desperation attacks but still include infinite desperation attacks?
>>
>>334599737
>SNK redrew all of their guys
>Capcom didn't do shit

HOW CAN THEY KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS
>>
>>334602359
They can't. Had to make new assets for Street Fighter V instead of being able to use the SFIV/xT ones.
>>
>>334602359
SNK's workflow doesn't have a whole lot of deformation.

SNK's sprites start as 3D models, that they animate then rotoscope. Capcom has a lot of deformation in their animation, so it looks better, but is more time consuming, thus, Capcom doesn't(didn't) do it.
>>
>>334602534
Why would they rotoscope back in 199X?
>>
>>334599737
Chun-Li is thick!!

Thick!!!
>>
>>334599737
I want all of them to urinate all over me.
>>
>>334599737
It's a bug that became useful for high level player. It's fine to be there.
>>334600746
Heard they ain't that good.
>>
>>334600746
SvC MotM is fun, but I've never been able to play it with other people.

is there an NGPC emulator that supports local multi (eg, in the same/similar way that no$gba lets you emulate a bunch of GBAs at once and link them up)
like, I could easily get my friends to play this if I knew of one

SvC Chaos is a promising game, but it's shit. Moves aren't designed around the lack of rolling/hops, the fact that Demitri and Zero are allowed is retarded, and even without them, it's just a lame game.
which is a shame, the sprites are kind of nice if a tad unpolished and the backgrounds are great, and the character dialogue is fantastic overall, it's like SNK ran out of money making it and just released it as-is
>>
File: 1449554975381.jpg (104 KB, 533x756) Image search: [Google]
1449554975381.jpg
104 KB, 533x756
>>334601007
>most snk character fucking suck
Have you ever played kof before?
>>
>>334602657
I'm pretty sure they started that workflow with MotW. SNK art style changed a bit with that title.
>>
>>334602359
In SVC Chaos some Capcom sprites were actually made rather cheaply.

>ryu, ken, and hugo just have their SF2 (or 3 for hugo) sprites edited to have SNK shading
>balrog is heavy d
>>
>>334602910
>is there an NGPC emulator that supports local multi (eg, in the same/similar way that no$gba lets you emulate a bunch of GBAs at once and link them up)
ass damnit, I was hoping neopop would work, but it ignores inputs on the unfocused window when I link two running copies of the program connecting through localhost
>>
CvS2 was utter shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VORPm8B8BXY
>>
>>334600746
SvC Chaos is fun to play with friends and its interesting seeing the Capcom characters in KoF style.

But its a bit of a mess. Like on fightcade one of Iori's supers does no damage and the extension to his maiden masher also does no damage. There a lot of other quirks and bugs too that make it frustrating.

Otherwise its pretty fun.
>>
>>334599737
It's more that it didn't seem like they acknowledged how fucking different KOF is to SF. Movement, defense (you could group SF and Tekken together in how defense, spacing and general pace works, whereas KOF is more like an ArcSys game in this regard), and the actual way characters are designed in KOF (where characters are part of a team of 3) doesn't look like it was considered at all. That's not me knocking either franchise, but you can't just railroad those movesets into SF's engine without either changing them up dramatically or nerfing the hell out of them, and the latter is what they decided to do.

Taking GG or BB characters and then trying to make them work in SFV's style of play specifically would seem strange to a lot of people and it wouldn't even be that odd a comparison to make here, it's what Capcom tried to do with the SNK movesets in CvS2.
>>
>>334603057
yeah, many of them

every kof character feels the same as every other kof character, you just derp shorthop your best air normal all day then do your lengthy combo

so many characters in kof games, especially older ones, just have moves with no fucking use at all and the rest of their moves are just a race to find the most exploitable hitboxes you have and throw them out all day
>>
>>334599737
cvs2 is literally the best fighting game ever made

take the good parts of capcom fighters (the engine and characters) and the best parts of snk fighters (the mechanics) and add the goat voice/sound track of any fighting game

>b-but blanka is too strong
every game has top tiers, get good. it's fucking laughable reading this thread and seeing people who no doubt like games like 3s, kof13/98 and ST complain about top tiers being really good

>b-but roll canceling
makes the game way better and a lot more characters playable. there's a reason nobody played the ps2 version even though it removed roll canceling

>b-but some grooves are weaker than others
that's a fact of life in fighting games, one thing will be better than others. the only real issue is that P groove isn't really the third strike groove because it doesn't have any of the mechanics besides parry but that would require capcom to make new instant overhead/ex move animations for dozens of characters so I can see why they got lazy with this game they could only make within a specific timeframe before the rights expired/the hype left
>>
>>334603721
The shotos looked like SF2 but weren't, their proportions were different. They were original sprites.
>>
>>334606017
I thought the PS2 version kept roll canceling while the GC and Xbox versions dropped it
>>
>>334605578
>derp shorthops all day.
Well that is short way of telling that you have little idea of how to play.

>feels the same way
Mai Shiranui and Clark Steel does not feel the same in any way, nor does Kyo Kusanagi and Ryo Sakazaki, even Kim Kaphwan plays differently than Terry or Mature and Vice are not close at all. Fuck Terry and Kyo dont feel the same nor does Iori and Kyo. Everyone one of them have different gameplay aspects and how to approach offense. What are you saying?

>so many characters in kof games, especially older ones, just have moves with no fucking use at all
Kof back in the 90's was a yearly game and adding moves is a great way to experiment on what works and what does not. Not to mention that it adds a variety of unpredictability on many characters back then. SNK is not afraid to experiment on their existing characters unlike Capcom who has many of their characters stay the same way from the 90's up until 4. Hell Kusanagi's moveset has changed way back and Iori's moveset has a complete overhaul when he lost his flames unlike most of Capcom's fighters who played it safe and stick to 'what werks'.

>rest of their moves are just a race to find the most exploitable hitboxes you have and throw them out all day.
I can say that to most fighting games too you know.
>>
>>334605578
>every kof character feels the same as every other kof character
what do you feel KOF rosters lack? Specifically I mean, not blanket statements that can't be applied to anything

>you just derp shorthop your best air normal all day then do your lengthy combo
>just have moves with no fucking use at all and the rest of their moves are just a race to find the most exploitable hitboxes you have and throw them out all day
You can sum up every single fighter into "approach by spamming good safe move -> combo, you can ignore massive chunks of your movelist because these top 5-6 moves cover all situations"
I mean, that's bluntly incorrect in practice but you can summarise the genre in general like that on paper, not just KOF. Hell it's from SF players where this line of thought where matches have to follow this specific structure with anything else being considered "gimmicky" stems from even. Aside from your weird "derp shorthop" comment you're regurgitating the usual nonsensical complaints that old Capcom fighters get for some reason.
>>
Can someone explain how to roll cancel?

I've been playing CvS2 in my campus game room, and I've gotten good but I think it's time I learn some of the more indepth techniques.
>>
File: punch.webm (986 KB, 750x450) Image search: [Google]
punch.webm
986 KB, 750x450
>>334606017
cvs2 is garbage, roll cancel ruins the game completely and the game is full of infinites

Even without those problems its literally just a dumbed down Alpha 3
>>
>>334608134
>gamecube version
>>
>>334607797
Its like doing a kara throw but you do a roll then a special move, i causes whatever move you do to become invincible.

Yes it is as retarded as it sounds.
>>
>>334608134
>Gamecube version

WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THIS?
>>
>>334608223
So roll then do a special move as you roll? I do that all the time, but I'm not seeing this invincibility part.
>>
>>334608332
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VORPm8B8BXY
>>
File: Sf-ryuold.gif (9 KB, 62x95) Image search: [Google]
Sf-ryuold.gif
9 KB, 62x95
>>334603721
dunno about that anon
>>
File: Ryu-snk-stand.gif (14 KB, 55x105) Image search: [Google]
Ryu-snk-stand.gif
14 KB, 55x105
>>334608824
if anything they used it as a base and redid it.
>>
>>334602910
SvC Chaos is loads of fun if you don't even consider seriously playing it competitively.
>>
>>334608521
I just watched that before you posted it. There's no explanation.
>>
>>334608824
>>334608924
>snk sprite has animated hair
Okay, yeah, it's a new sprite based off the old one.
>>
>>334609050
It was supposed to be a demonstration of the invuln wackiness.

The other guy already summed up how you do it.

Its like a kara throw but with a roll and a special instead.
>>
>>334609237
Ah, so kara throw is what I need to find out about. Alright, thanks.
>>
File: 1460750957984.gif (952 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1460750957984.gif
952 KB, 200x200
>Capcom and SNK won't make another CvS3
>if they do, it'll be a vastly inferior game to CvS2
>they won't even release CvS2: Online Edition
>>
File: SVC Chaos - Sagat.gif (2 KB, 66x124) Image search: [Google]
SVC Chaos - Sagat.gif
2 KB, 66x124
>>334608924
also this definitely doesn't look like any other sagat sprite.
it's ugly as fuck, but it's different.
>>
>>334609601
>>if they do, it'll be a vastly inferior game to CvS2
Literally not possible CvS2 was pure garbage
>>
It's the SFxT of it's time
except without all the disc-locked DLC that pissed everyone off
>>
File: balrog-snk-stand-1.gif (17 KB, 64x111) Image search: [Google]
balrog-snk-stand-1.gif
17 KB, 64x111
>>334609693
also balrog
>>
File: hearog.gif (3 KB, 76x110) Image search: [Google]
hearog.gif
3 KB, 76x110
>>334609969
>>
>>334610131
huh.
>>
>>334609952
>"I absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm going to speak anyway"
>>
>>334609952
Its not even all that wrong.
Both games often end in timeouts.
>>
Why do people like this sluggish game? I fall asleep everytime I play it.

>>334608134
>CvS2 without its problems would be a dumbed down Alpha 3
You mean A-Groove is a dumbed down V-ISM right? Because the rest of CvS2 is an upgraded Alpha 3, which doesn't mean anything as they both suck.
>>
>>334609041
>SvC Chaos is loads of fun if you don't even consider seriously playing it competitively.
it's still jank, and even KOF2001 is a more fun game in that regard (actually, KOF2001 is crazy fun when not playing competitively)
>>
>>334612447
I'd rather play 2000
>>
>>334607017
>rest of their moves are just a race to find the most exploitable hitboxes you have and throw them out all day.
>I can say that to most fighting games too you know.
this
there's like only one character where that actually is true beyond a shadow of a doubt (and it's Brian, where you pretty much have to be fancy with his fucking helicopter spin and then hope to crossup to combo into a Brian Hammer string, because literally everything else he has is going to get stuffed because it's slow and shit)

>>334612589
True, but 2000 is kind of decent even competitively. It's not a truly great game at high level, but I'd say it's in the top 5 best KOFs overall.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.